List Mgmt. Trade and F/A - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
adammania9 if I were framing a market on you playing round 1 2022 v Daicos being named an emergency you’d be about 1,000-1 and Daicos as emergency about 10,000-1. He’d have played every game he was fit this year if he were 3 days older there’s no chance he’s ever named an emergency.

It’s a no to Crouch for me. I get the thinking, but his market value is still too high, IMO. If you’re looking for a grinder type who’ll come cheaper I think Dunstan’s your man even then I believe moving Maynard into the midfield will offer us enough of that support. I’d probably be more inclined to go after an Ed Richards or Jimmy Webster to plug that gap depending on the trade and salary costs.

I’d trade Sidebottom in a heartbeat IF there were any value there, but unfortunately Guy killed us. He’s got two years to run on a contract that was back ended when we signed Beams after Steele was RU in a Brownlow. If he’s owed less than $1.5m over 22-23 I’m buying a Richmond membership next year! Like Grundy the only way we get his contract off the books is by paying some of it for whoever picks up the tab and we don’t get any points for the exercise…
I totally forgot about Richards, he’d be perfect to replace Maynard in defence imo.

Surely, looking back on this now, Ned Guy was a spy that was sent to destroy us.

Surely good governance would have ensure that every single contract is ratified by the board. If the current board ratified all these contracts then that is enough reason why they should all POQ.

I’d suggest that for an honorary board that’s poor governance. With his vast experience in the game that responsibility should have been Walsh’s. Perhaps one member of the board should have an intimate knowledge of our salary cap if you’re looking to implement change, but that’s a lot of work to take on and a layer that’s not required if the FD appointments are sound.

I’d suggest that for an honorary board that’s poor governance. With his vast experience in the game that responsibility should have been Walsh’s. Perhaps one member of the board should have an intimate knowledge of our salary cap if you’re looking to implement change, but that’s a lot of work to take on and a layer that’s not required if the FD appointments are sound.

I still think the board should have oversight on that.

It should be documented that contracts over a certain dollar amount or length have to be ratified by the board. I don’t care how good the FD is.

I'd rather get Josh Kennedy from WCE and play Mihocek back than get Talia. Cooked.

I don‘t mind the idea of switching Checkers back. Would provide us with three defenders capable of being swung forward during games.

That would further open up the forward line for a quality young tall forward.

I'd love Richards. How do we get him?

Bulldogs desperately need picks to match an early bid on Darcy, so Richards would probably require a price in future draft picks (which Bulldogs can then on-trade for 2021 draft picks) that we shouldn't be paying at this stage. :rolleyes:

We have no elite mids at the moment. Pendles and Steele were and De Goey may yet be but as it stands its a weakness. Adams I'd say is not elite, very good but no longer elite.

As for our backline, yes its good on paper and is our strength but Moore and Howe barely played together this year, Roughy is solid, Maynard is a gun but IQ and Noble are still developing. I'd say collectively Geelong's is better as is Melbourne's.

And I don't think our age profile is at a point to contend which is different to 2018. Many youngsters now and a number of older players who'll need replacing over next year or 2.

Which is why I don't want Talia (or Tom Lynch). I personally want Keane to play ahead of Roughead to see if he can make it, if not lets move him on. If he will make it, lets get him to 30 games asap.

Poor drafting and salary cap management has left a void of quality 22-25 year olds with few live picks this year and no money to get anyone of note. That alone will cause some further pain over next year or 2 as we rebuild.
Adams was all Australian last year and Degoey's form over the past half a season has him elite in midfield for mine.

I'm not really that bothered by Talia, given I don't know how his body holds up. But if you said no to a guy who was previously the best defender in the league purely because youre in rebuilding mode you shoot yourself in the foot. Especially if they have the desire to move into coaching in the future and could pass on a lot of knowledge.

I don‘t mind the idea of switching Checkers back. Would provide us with three defenders capable of being swung forward during games.

That would further open up the forward line for a quality young tall forward.
I reckon checkers would struggle on the back line now...and why move him ??

Snags about 30 a year

If Tom Lynch's body is OK and he can still present as much as he used to, he'd make a significant difference in the short term. I doubt Adelaide would have delisted him if that was the case though.

I guess there is 2 schools of thought with players like Talia and Lynch being let go by a team like Adelaide. Firstly, they're cooked, and secondly that they're still able to contribute but the team is in a rebuild and that contribution needs to be weighed against developing the long term options in their positions.

It's that 2nd scenario I think we're in in terms of chasing these types. Personally, given where our list is at, I'd rather we go to the draft.

Maybe that news about Lynch was not legit after all..

Collingwood back-up ruckman Max Lynch remains vulnerable to a recruiting raid with no movement on a new deal.
The emerging big man is out of contract and has played only two games this season despite promising showings against Adelaide and Melbourne.

While there isn’t expected to be a huge amount of activity in this year’s trade period, Lynch, 22, will attract attention as one of the best talls in the market.

The Magpies are leaving some big contract calls until season’s end as they try to overcome some travel restrictions in their search for a new senior coach.

Captain Scott Pendlebury is without a deal for next season along with fringe midfielder Brayden Sier.

Hawthorn showed some interest in Lynch last year as they look to find long-term replacements for Jon Ceglar and captain Ben McEvoy.

Collingwood could use any draft pick they received in a trade deal for the back-up ruckman to help secure likely No. 1 draft pick Nick Daicos.

Lynch remains stuck behind No.1 ruckman Brodie Grundy, meaning the Murray Bushrangers’ product may have to go elsewhere to push for a lead ruck spot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d trade Sidebottom in a heartbeat IF there were any value there, but unfortunately Guy killed us. He’s got two years to run on a contract that was back ended when we signed Beams after Steele was RU in a Brownlow. If he’s owed less than $1.5m over 22-23 I’m buying a Richmond membership next year! Like Grundy the only way we get his contract off the books is by paying some of it for whoever picks up the tab and we don’t get any points for the exercise…

I was of the understanding that Sidey added extra years for less rather than back ending.

I guess there is 2 schools of thought with players like Talia and Lynch being let go by a team like Adelaide. Firstly, they're cooked, and secondly that they're still able to contribute but the team is in a rebuild and that contribution needs to be weighed against developing the long term options in their positions.

It's that 2nd scenario I think we're in in terms of chasing these types. Personally, given where our list is at, I'd rather we go to the draft.

Talia's probably the one worth having a sniff at, given his high ceiling and the age profile of our other KPD's behind Moore (assuming that we'll see roughy and Howe depart in the next 1-2 years). Talia would obviously need to tick every box fitness wise, but if he's ok physically and can still get back to something near his best footy then he could be a solid acquisition which will take a bit of pressure off Moore to play a lock down defender role on the opposition's best forward every week.

Adams was all Australian last year and Degoey's form over the past half a season has him elite in midfield for mine.

I'm not really that bothered by Talia, given I don't know how his body holds up. But if you said no to a guy who was previously the best defender in the league purely because youre in rebuilding mode you shoot yourself in the foot. Especially if they have the desire to move into coaching in the future and could pass on a lot of knowledge.
Adams, as good as he has been, has had 1 AA season in 9 or 10 years. So while that was elite and he was our best in previous finals series, I don't rate him up there with guys like Oliver, Steele etc. And I worry about his longevity given how banged up he is. So he's very good, but not in top 10 midfielders.

I did say with De Goey he has the potential to be elite, but I'll reserve my judgement till he does this year after year, not just for 6 or 8 games.

Talia hasn't been AA since 2016 and while he may have been a reasonable option a couple of years back, he's got 1 or 2 years left at a time which we're unlikely to contend.

Cripps at one point was the best mid. Matters little what they were, its what they are and will be.

Talia's probably the one worth having a sniff at, given his high ceiling and the age profile of our other KPD's behind Moore (assuming that we'll see roughy and Howe depart in the next 1-2 years). Talia would obviously need to tick every box fitness wise, but if he's ok physically and can still get back to something near his best footy then he could be a solid acquisition which will take a bit of pressure off Moore to play a lock down defender role on the opposition's best forward every week.

I don't think he'd be willing to come for what I'd be prepared to offer (minimum chips and match payments) so it remains a pass for me. Will be 30 in 6 or so weeks and hasn't played since mid-late 2020 H&A.

Adams, as good as he has been, has had 1 AA season in 9 or 10 years. So while that was elite and he was our best in previous finals series, I don't rate him up there with guys like Oliver, Steele etc. And I worry about his longevity given how banged up he is. So he's very good, but not in top 10 midfielders.

I did say with De Goey he has the potential to be elite, but I'll reserve my judgement till he does this year after year, not just for 6 or 8 games.

Talia hasn't been AA since 2016 and while he may have been a reasonable option a couple of years back, he's got 1 or 2 years left at a time which we're unlikely to contend.

Cripps at one point was the best mid. Matters little what they were, its what they are and will be.
So Adams has only 1 AA, which is why you don’t rate him as high as Steele, who’s also only had 1 AA.

…..makes sense I guess?

Forget tali’s injured and to old. We should be targeting KPF who haven’t quite made it to become defenders. Plenty of success stories there and can be done cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back