List Mgmt. Trade and F/A - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't that source the least reliable there is?
Though her Super Coach advise is invaluable.

nicolas-cage-laugh.gif

These threads always amuse my because for the life of me I don’t understand some of the people and what they post. I honestly can’t get my head around the thinking and the moves people think are possible. That includes our own list management team.
Oh well we’ll soon find out. I can’t see both Keane and Tohill going, I think Keane will be retained, Wilson probably gone but not sure. Sier left long ago and good riddance. Cox will be gone, sad about that but for the chance we took on him I’d say he’s been a huge success.
Ins: Daicos, Dibs (hopefully) Big roo, (cat b) Maybe Talia as a Dunn/Roughead type recruit and someone else no idea who.

I’m tipping I’m wrong on all of them bar Sier. I’m not including those who have already retired on this list.

Depth is pretty good with only meagre (cheap) recruiting, but there's a lot of kids to wait on developing.

Quaynor Talia Ruscoe
Maynard Moore Howe

Grundy Crisp De Goey
Daicos Adams Poulter

Stengle Mihocek Daicos
Cameron Riccardi Elliott

Hoskin-Elliott Pendlebury Roughead Macrea McCreery T Brown Henry Bianco Madgen Rantall McInnes Begg
Dib Thomas Ginnivan C Brown Noble Murphy McMahon Keane Tohill Chugg Johnson Kelly Wilson Lynch Faye

On:
N Daicos Dib Riccardi Talia Stengle

Off:
Sidebottom Greenwood Mayne Sier Cox

*I used Sidebottom to free up some cap and pay for Riccardi, Dibs and Daics.

Rough draw-up of a round one side for Collingwood without starting up a new thread.

B: Jeremy Howe - Jordan Roughead - Jack Madgen
HB: Brayden Maynard - Darcy Moore - Isaac Quaynor
C: Will Hoskin-Elliott - Taylor Adams - Josh Daicos
HF: Scott Pendlebury - Brody Mihocek - Steele Sidebottom
F: Jamie Elliott - Darcy Cameron - Beau McCreery
R: Brodie Grundy - Jordan De Goey - Jack Crisp
I: Oliver Henry - Trey Ruscoe - Finlay Macrae - Trent Bianco
Sub: John Noble
E: Josh Thomas - Max Lynch - Nick Daicos

I'm well aware of his flaws but I want Matt Crouch for midfield support and I think he'd give us a good shot at getting more out of De Goey and Crisp as outside options. Don't forget the impact Prestia's inclusion had on Martin, Lambert and Cotchin in giving them more outside space. In recruiting Crouch and then drafting an elite talent in Daicos, I don't think we'd need to draft any midfielders for a while and we can focus on filling other holes in the list. It'd give us a core midfield group of Adams, Crouch, De Goey, Crisp and Maynard, with J Daicos and WHE as predominant outside options, with Pendlebury and Sidebottom continuing to roll through with their experience, then topped off with the continued development of N Daicos, Macrae, Bianco, McInnes and Poulter. It's a very deep group. Probably lacking a proper A-grader but after Josh Kelly re-signed there doesn't appear to be any top talents on the market anymore. Get Crouch for a couple of seasons and then when Pendlebury and Sidebottom are no longer on the books in 2-3 years we can have another look at a top tier mid.

I kinda wanna top up with a mature age defender too. Reckon we've got enough young defenders and can use a middle age player who can improve the 22. I've always liked Tom Clurey from Port Adelaide who can keep Roughead and Madgen honest, or if Maynard is going to play extended midfield then Jake Kelly could be a cheap fill in. Thought about Talia and at nearly 30 years old it just doesn't seem viable. Harrison Petty would be an unreal get from Melb but I think he's found his niche in the side and won't be going anywhere.

That listed side is probably missing natural forwards. I fixed Sidey and Pendles onto the flanks as they're two of our best kicks going inside 50 and I expect them to continue to get fazed out of midfield. I'll be satisfied if we walk away with one of the several cheap forwards who can't get a game like Weideman, Riccardi, or I like McLean at Sydney. Get any of em on a two-year deal for piss all and at least we're having a go. If there's a fire sale at Carlton I'd like Zac Fisher - zippy forward with tricks and I think has a lot of unearthed potential.

Rough draw-up of a round one side for Collingwood without starting up a new thread.

I'm well aware of his flaws but I want Matt Crouch for midfield support and I think he'd give us a good shot at getting more out of De Goey and Crisp as outside options. Don't forget the impact Prestia's inclusion had on Martin, Lambert and Cotchin in giving them more outside space. In recruiting Crouch and then drafting an elite talent in Daicos, I don't think we'd need to draft any midfielders for a while and we can focus on filling other holes in the list. It'd give us a core midfield group of Adams, Crouch, De Goey, Crisp and Maynard, with J Daicos and WHE as predominant outside options, with Pendlebury and Sidebottom continuing to roll through with their experience, then topped off with the continued development of N Daicos, Macrae, Bianco, McInnes and Poulter. It's a very deep group. Probably lacking a proper A-grader but after Josh Kelly re-signed there doesn't appear to be any top talents on the market anymore. Get Crouch for a couple of seasons and then when Pendlebury and Sidebottom are no longer on the books in 2-3 years we can have another look at a top tier mid.

I kinda wanna top up with a mature age defender too. Reckon we've got enough young defenders and can use a middle age player who can improve the 22. I've always liked Tom Clurey from Port Adelaide who can keep Roughead and Madgen honest, or if Maynard is going to play extended midfield then Jake Kelly could be a cheap fill in. Thought about Talia and at nearly 30 years old it just doesn't seem viable. Harrison Petty would be an unreal get from Melb but I think he's found his niche in the side and won't be going anywhere.

That listed side is probably missing natural forwards. I fixed Sidey and Pendles onto the flanks as they're two of our best kicks going inside 50 and I expect them to continue to get fazed out of midfield. I'll be satisfied if we walk away with one of the several cheap forwards who can't get a game like Weideman, Riccardi, or I like McLean at Sydney. Get any of em on a two-year deal for piss all and at least we're having a go. If there's a fire sale at Carlton I'd like Zac Fisher - zippy forward with tricks and I think has a lot of unearthed potential.
I think that side highlights our main problem going forward (apart from a proper Key Position Forward)
Sidebottom and Pendlebury will increasingly spend less time in the midfield and they are not those quick high pressure goal kickers you can park in the forwardline or use as backmen. I'd hide them on the wings but you really want your quicks out there.
Be interesting to see how they are used positionally vs youth development. I'd move Adjacent Arse along only because of his contract size and us still seemingly hamstrung by the cap.

If we get Daicos and Dibs without going into deficit, bring in some combo of Talia, Tom Lynch, Stengle, and nail a rookie or two and the off season would look excellent.
If Tom Lynch's body is OK and he can still present as much as he used to, he'd make a significant difference in the short term. I doubt Adelaide would have delisted him if that was the case though.

Lol Josh Thomas still on our list.

I like Zac Fisher as a player but he is not the type of player that we need.

We also need to avoid the “cheap forwards”. i equate cheap (when it comes to forwards) with not very good. We need to start aiming a bit higher.

Let’s hope GW is a little bit more ruthless.

I don’t mind Clurey as a key back option. Particularly as that stopper, with Moore as the rebounder. I’m actually surprised that he’s been out of that team most of the the year.

Although given the fact Roughie may still have a couple of years of decent footy left, he might not be the right age profile.

TBH I think I’d rather grab Riccardi or Weideman and purely focus on turning them into key backs.

As a side note, the recruiting of Aliir Aliir for peanuts by Port has proved to be an absolute masterstroke.

If Tom Lynch's body is OK and he can still present as much as he used to, he'd make a significant difference in the short term. I doubt Adelaide would have delisted him if that was the case though.

Sometimes rebuilding teams make early calls on ageing players in an effort to fast track the rebuild. I've always thought that logic was flawed. It presents us with an interesting opportunity.

Which is fine if we didn’t have a dearth of tradeable assets which is currently the case (Lynch aside).

Cox is also a better option as ruck back up given his age so he can bridge the gap between the loss of Lynch and the emergence of Faye/ Begg plus he has forward play. I’m certain a club will take a punt on Cox, but it won’t be for anywhere near the value I’d place on Lynch.

Put me in the “not happy if he stays” basket unless we’re making a move which means Cameron is expendable. It seems so many on here, like our list management group, have no clue what to do with our ruck stocks. It’s just another heart over head decision…

Cox is smarter depth now he’s off his big money. It would be such a Collingwood play to let him leave for nothing and sign Lynch when he has value. If you’re looking at it from a value proposition we’re losing Cox at his lowest value and potentially signing Lynch at his highest. When your talking depth that’s ******* dumb.

Lynch is the most obvious player we can trade to get points to avoid deficit but he isn't the only option.

I wonder if we look at a tough call like trading a declining Sidebottom. We have De Goey emerging in midfield, WHE is better on a wing than forward, and Daicos is better on a wing than on-ball. That all reduces the impact if Sidebottom leaves.

Sidebottom would attract a better trade and opens up more options for us. Perhaps we target a fringe player we like and some junk picks that give us points, as an example. Someone we think it is under valued and might give us 8-10 years service in a way Crisp and Howe has.

I'm not entirely behind that because I think you need some vetrans to provide structure to a developing team, but just a thought.

I don’t mind Clurey as a key back option. Particularly as that stopper, with Moore as the rebounder. I’m actually surprised that he’s been out of that team most of the the year.

Although given the fact Roughie may still have a couple of years of decent footy left, he might not be the right age profile.

TBH I think I’d rather grab Riccardi or Weideman and purely focus on turning them into key backs.

As a side note, the recruiting of Aliir Aliir for peanuts by Port has proved to be an absolute masterstroke.

TBF I think AA was pretty obvious. I am surprised more clubs including us tried not go for him. Maybe it was the contract that put people off?

adammania9 if I were framing a market on you playing round 1 2022 v Daicos being named an emergency you’d be about 1,000-1 and Daicos as emergency about 10,000-1. He’d have played every game he was fit this year if he were 3 days older there’s no chance he’s ever named an emergency.

It’s a no to Crouch for me. I get the thinking, but his market value is still too high, IMO. If you’re looking for a grinder type who’ll come cheaper I think Dunstan’s your man even then I believe moving Maynard into the midfield will offer us enough of that support. I’d probably be more inclined to go after an Ed Richards or Jimmy Webster to plug that gap depending on the trade and salary costs.

Lynch is the most obvious player we can trade to get points to avoid deficit but he isn't the only option.

I wonder if we look at a tough call like trading a declining Sidebottom. We have De Goey emerging in midfield, WHE is better on a wing than forward, and Daicos is better on a wing than on-ball. That all reduces the impact if Sidebottom leaves.

Sidebottom would attract a better trade and opens up more options for us. Perhaps we target a fringe player we like and some junk picks that give us points, as an example. Someone we think it is under valued and might give us 8-10 years service in a way Crisp and Howe has.

I'm not entirely behind that because I think you need some vetrans to provide structure to a developing team, but just a thought.

I’d trade Sidebottom in a heartbeat IF there were any value there, but unfortunately Guy killed us. He’s got two years to run on a contract that was back ended when we signed Beams after Steele was RU in a Brownlow. If he’s owed less than $1.5m over 22-23 I’m buying a Richmond membership next year! Like Grundy the only way we get his contract off the books is by paying some of it for whoever picks up the tab and we don’t get any points for the exercise…

Last edited:

There is a fair chance that other teams may have noticed that Sidebottom’s form has dropped off a cliff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is a fair chance that other teams may have noticed that Sidebottom’s form has dropped off a cliff.

I think a lot of clubs would feel Sidebottom has got more to give. I do. He's not peak but he's still a good player. I'm also talking about a fringe player and later picks which seems reasonable in the context.

Last edited:
adammania9 if I were framing a market on you playing round 1 2022 v Daicos being named an emergency you’d be about 1,000-1 and Daicos as emergency about 10,000-1. He’d have played every game he was fit this year if he were 3 days older there’s no chance he’s ever named an emergency.

It’s a no to Crouch for me. I get the thinking, but his market value is still too high, IMO. If you’re looking for a grinder type who’ll come cheaper I think Dunstan’s your man even then I believe moving Maynard into the midfield will offer us enough of that support. I’d probably be more inclined to go after an Ed Richards or Jimmy Webster to plug that gap depending on the trade and salary costs.

I’d trade Sidebottom in a heartbeat IF there were any value there, but unfortunately Guy killed us. He’s got two years to run on a contract that was back ended when we signed Beams after Steele was RU in a Brownlow. If he’s owed less than $1.5m over 22-23 I’m buying a Richmond membership next year! Like Grundy the only way we get his contract off the books is by paying some of it for whoever picks up the tab and we don’t get any points for the exercise…

Yeah I wasn't sure what Sidebottoms contract status was. That would limit him to bottom teams which may be less motivating to move to.

Going for Dunstan would be like our decision on Greenwood. A trier coming off a career year. Only Dunstan has been less impressive over his career compared to Greenwood the year we got him.

Richards I like. Webster too but reckon that's almost exactly the player Ruscoe projects as.

Last edited:
I think if we plan to get Riccardi, he can’t be the #1 KPF. I think he’d have to play #2 role. His best games were when J.Cameron played for the giants.

He could be our #2 and compete with Mihocek & A.Johnson for a spot.

If Talia passes a strict medical surely we take him should he want to join the pies. Looks like he could come cheap cap wise being a DFA, 29 and recent injuries.

No idea what Rougheads position is in terms of retiring/contract/re-contracting, but Talia would fill that role if fit and roughy retires. If he goes on, would give Talia time to rehabilitate further and aim for 2023. If fit he would hold up until 33 IMO.

Perfect world, imagine the scenario of a fit and firing Moore, Howe, Roughhead and Talia to pick in our 22.could finally do what i thinks bucks wanted to do with Howe interms of where he zones during our attacks.

If as you say Talia does pass a “strict medical”, you can bet there’ll be a lot of clubs interested, so not sure he’ll would be the easy get many here believe.

Surely, looking back on this now, Ned Guy was a spy that was sent to destroy us.

Surely good governance would have ensure that every single contract is ratified by the board. If the current board ratified all these contracts then that is enough reason why they should all POQ.

Lol Josh Thomas still on our list.

I like Zac Fisher as a player but he is not the type of player that we need.

We also need to avoid the “cheap forwards”. i equate cheap (when it comes to forwards) with not very good. We need to start aiming a bit higher.

Let’s hope GW is a little bit more ruthless.
Thomas is worthy of an extension. Our forward depth stinks and he’s part of our midfield rotation every week, and he’s one of the few reliable kicks we have on our list.

I find a lot of these suggestions really strange. So much impatience, so much short term thinking. We are in full on rebuilding mode. We made a good start in last years draft period, but there is so much more to do. It's time for a long term strategy, because we are years away from contending for a flag. So lets use the opportunity while we are down the ladder to:

1. Stock up on A grade talent. Keep early first and second round picks and invest them in quality players, preferably quality KP players so that our obsession with getting KPP on the cheap is forever put to rest. Perhaps even trade away some good players to get in some extra draft picks.

2. Use our time at the bottom to get our salary cap in order. Im dismayed by media reports that it still isn't in great shape. Lets bank some surpluses and build a war chest so that 2 or 3 years down the track we can hit the free agency market aggressively and bring in genuine quality; not bits and pieces players

3. Pump games into our kids..

So Im completely bemused by suggestions of Talia and Tom Lynch. If we were still contending - maybe. But we are not, lets give games to the kids

Matt Crouch? If he was some big bodied inside bull, or a lightning quick outside player Id consider it. But he is a one paced accumulator whose disposals have a modest impact. Id rather pumpo games into McCrae, McInnes, Bianco etc and keep the salary for someone better

Riccardi? More of the same KP on the cheap approach? Im very lukewarm but at least he is young

Clurey? a handy KPD. The very reason PA went for AA is cause Clurey is undersized and struggles on the gorillas

All these suggestions are like filling the cracks in the walls with polyfilla when we need to restump the house

I find a lot of these suggestions really strange. So much impatience, so much short term thinking. We are in full on rebuilding mode. We made a good start in last years draft period, but there is so much more to do. It's time for a long term strategy, because we are years away from contending for a flag. So lets use the opportunity while we are down the ladder to:

1. Stock up on A grade talent. Keep early first and second round picks and invest them in quality players, preferably quality KP players so that our obsession with getting KPP on the cheap is forever put to rest. Perhaps even trade away some good players to get in some extra draft picks.

2. Use our time at the bottom to get our salary cap in order. Im dismayed by media reports that it still isn't in great shape. Lets bank some surpluses and build a war chest so that 2 or 3 years down the track we can hit the free agency market aggressively and bring in genuine quality; not bits and pieces players

So Im completely bemused by suggestions of Talia and Tom Lynch. If we were still contending - maybe. But we are not, lets give games to the kids

Matt Crouch? If he was some big bodied inside bull, or a lightning quick outside player Id consider it. But he is a one paced accumulator whose disposals have a modest impact. Id rather pumpo games into McCrae, McInnes, Bianco etc and keep the salary for someone better

Riccardi? More of the same KP on the cheap approach? Im very lukewarm but at least he is young

Clurey? a handy KPD. The very reason PA went for AA is cause Clurey is undersized and struggles on the gorillas

All these suggestions are like filling the cracks in the walls with polyfilla when we need to restump the house
This is spot on

One of the Crows' better players last week in the Showdown Slowdown as well if that counts for anything.

Not sure that I'd want to bring him across personally, but that's not because he's fallen off a cliff form-wise or anything as he still seems capable at AFL level if the past four games since he returned from injury are any indication. Crows are clearly embarking on a veteran slash and burn strategy this year with Crouch almost certainly Tex possibly also being bundled out the door, along with Lynch and Talia.

Total agreement - we got so far down the rabbit hole we still haven't gotten totally on top of the cap woes.

This is not a time for half measures, keep enough mature players to help the kids learn what they need to know on the field.

Other than that we need to start making the club worthy of attracting top line talent as it definitely isn't now.

That means getting the cap under control and engineering a stable and united board and administration.

Only after we have achieved that can we begin to attract the type of talent it takes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back