List Mgmt. Trade and F/A - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose we had come off a season winning the first final against WCE over there.
Not sure many would have predicted the Pies to have the 2nd pick in the draft at the time. If so, we would have received alot more than was forthcoming
100%. It also tells you what the club thought of the list and what it was capable of achieving at the time, even after moving on Treloar, Stephenson and Phillips. Perhaps that's the greatest oversight.

So who are we supposedly linked to so far? Half of Sydney's list, yeah?

If any of the rumours are to be believed, we definitely seem primed to be going down the actual money ball path (the actual one, not the Jon Ralph one).

Some of the proposed targets would definitely still cost a second or third round pick though. We haven't traded a future second for at least a year... Hine's favourite activity.

I might not be allowing a big enough discount for the have now tax that so many clubs are willing to pay. However, I don't know why we would have paid it.
We wanted more early picks in 2020....And clubs knew our 2021 pick was just going to be eaten up for Daicos points if we kept it.

And yeah re future first round trading, in 2019 after finishing 2nd last, the Dees traded their future 1st, pick 26 and 50 to get access to pick 8 as they wanted Kozi Pickett. Effectively paying 26 and 50 to bring a first rounder forward a year...it was looking bad mid 2020 as Dees languishing in bottom 4. Articles were popping up slagging the Dees and the trade. But the Dees got the man they wanted a got a year into him before North even added a kid to their list.

It is pretty clear the club thought we would be a 6-12 style team in 2021, couldn't get anything right last off-season, and so we cop the downside "opportunity lost" of future trading.

Funny coincidence. I knew this guy… Ned who purchased a Nirvana Ltd edition box set for $500 - 2 weeks later Kurt Cobain commits suicide. Steal of the century he called it..

Unfortunately Ned had gone all in on shares in a blockbuster franchise. Tried to offload his Ltd edition box set to recoup some coin, but old Gerry at cash converters knew Neds story and all he could remunerate himself with was $50 and a hand shandy… True story!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Ha! Your story is about as true as mine!

When will Scott Pendlebury take a pay cut?

Will go down as one of the most selfish captains in our history.

Continually talks about the USA model in AFL and how players should get paid... what a great example a leader of our club champions.

Did Hawthorn use this model, Did Richmond?

Nick Maxwell would cringe at the captain we have.

Take a pay cut you selfish man and stop making it okay for players at our club bending us over a barrel for every last cent.
He's been on a million dollars for 10 years now.

And people abused me for the above quote and I'm proven right! A great example to set for all our younger players.

Read the below balanced and fair article from Jake Niall.

And people abused me for the above quote and I'm proven right! A great example to set for all our younger players.

Average article at best. Click bait fluff bs. People want to sh*t on one line from his comments without thinking about what's behind the comment. He's not towing the company line? So what? His former coach backed in the administration and got the sack 2 weeks later.

you don’t see any above average potential in any of our kids?
I think Ollie Henry looks the one most likely to be our potential A grader from the class of 19-20. Still I don't see in him what a 1st season Moore, De Goey, Grundy, Pendles, Thomas, Sidey, Beams showed us. Those kids that early days make you sit up a little bit and go wow even if its not very often. I do like the look of him and he needs to be good to make it as an undersized marking forward. Model himself on Jamie Elliott would be ideal.

So I like him a lot. Ginnavin looks really positive and Macrae solid. Things to like about Poulter, Ruscoe, McCreery and Bianco. Rantall I dont think will be up to it. We were a bottom side with a fair number of injuries which means kids got chances which was great. I am just not in the camp where I see people saying so and so will be a gun, an AA or a 200 gamer. Love it if more than 1 turns into that type

But we are up against 17 other sides and there are a lot of them whose youth and young established players are so far ahead of ours currently I think they will be hard to catch.

Average article at best. Click bait fluff bs. People want to sh*t on one line from his comments without thinking about what's behind the comment. He's not towing the company line? So what? His former coach backed in the administration and got the sack 2 weeks later.

How is it clickbait? It's an opinion piece, and the headline accurately represents the opinion.

Having a journalist agree with you, doesn't actually prove you right. I don't disagree with you though.

During the Bucks years, we were a club whose rhetoric was centred around individual development, personal growth and getting rewards for your endeavours. Not much about sacrificing for the team. I think attitudes that Pendles shows here will run pretty deep through our group and have been a contributing factor to our salary cap debacle and fall.

How is it clickbait? It's an opinion piece, and the headline accurately represents the opinion.

Cherry picking 8-12 words of an interview to write an opinion piece, which draws upon assumptions of what was implied in those words and the motivations of the individual, is average journalism. I love inflammatory lines like "would Joel Selwood do the same?" that are designed purely to defame the character of Pendles, as if he had committed some unpardonable sin.

Once again, the failure of the piece (and the reporting on this as a whole) has been the lack of consideration of the motivation that Pendles had to make this statement. Surely, one with such a sterling reputation would have a reason to comment in the way he did, no?

Cherry picking 8-12 words of an interview to write an opinion piece, which draws upon assumptions of what was implied in those words and the motivations of the individual, is average journalism. I love inflammatory lines like "would Joel Selwood do the same?" that are designed purely to defame the character of Pendles, as if he had committed some unpardonable sin.

Once again, the failure of the piece (and the reporting on this as a whole) has been the lack of consideration of the motivation that Pendles had to make this statement. Surely, one with such a sterling reputation would have a reason to comment in the way he did, no?
I just wonder why he had to say it.
Obviously the club is a little rudderless right now with no coach, list manager, fitness guy etc etc, and having finished 17th and the threat of an impending board tussle.
Not sure having the captain and a champion of the club announce to the public he is open to a move for the right deal actually helps the situation.

Obviously the club is a little rudderless right now with no coach, list manager, fitness guy etc etc, and having finished 17th and the threat of an impending board tussle.
Not sure having the captain and a champion of the club announce to the public he is open to a move for the right deal actually helps the situation.

I think he said it because he's open to the right deal. If he didn't say it, but then went unexpectedly, would it be any better.

I think Ollie Henry looks the one most likely to be our potential A grader from the class of 19-20. Still I don't see in him what a 1st season Moore, De Goey, Grundy, Pendles, Thomas, Sidey, Beams showed us. Those kids that early days make you sit up a little bit and go wow even if its not very often. I do like the look of him and he needs to be good to make it as an undersized marking forward. Model himself on Jamie Elliott would be ideal.

So I like him a lot. Ginnavin looks really positive and Macrae solid. Things to like about Poulter, Ruscoe, McCreery and Bianco. Rantall I dont think will be up to it. We were a bottom side with a fair number of injuries which means kids got chances which was great. I am just not in the camp where I see people saying so and so will be a gun, an AA or a 200 gamer. Love it if more than 1 turns into that type

But we are up against 17 other sides and there are a lot of them whose youth and young established players are so far ahead of ours currently I think they will be hard to catch.

If 2 of this year's debutants become top end talent (my bet is on Macrae and Bianco) and the rest solid contributors we will still be in a good position. We're getting Nick Daicos so that will be another A-grade young talent to develop plus a likely top 4 pick in 2022. Keep in mind Grundy, Moore, JDG, Maynard, Crisp, Adams are still AA quality players that are young enough to be there for our next challenge. It's a better quality senior core (with upside left) than most other rebuilding clubs. Complement that with another A-grade free agent in the JDG/Moore/Maynard age group in two years and we'll definitely have the talent to compete.

The biggest risk I see is game plan and coaching rather than our list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't speak for the man's motivations. I can imagine the weight of the year has taken it's toll. I can imagine the effect of the uncertainty surrounding the areas you mentioned can wear on ones resolve. I wonder if he went to the club with a similar plan to the one he mentioned and was turned away. Or perhaps he was given a low ball offer which frustrated a consummate professional and, as you put it, captain and champion of the club.

Maybe he's pissed off and it broke through on this occasion.

No, our scenario is more like taking away Geelong's early pick from 2001 - Bartel and adding in a couple of more blokes into the 1999 draft for Geelong, because it is an advantage to have those other blokes two years earlier.

A couple of blokes taken in the early 30s in 1999 could've been Daniel Giansiracusa and Leon Davis. Having those two instead of Bartel wouldn't have been a bad outcome. There's definitely still A-grade talent with picks in the 30s. The question should be more about how highly rated Poulter and McMahon were on our draft board. If they were rated highly, no issues with trading out an early pick in a draft in two years time that you have no idea what the talent pool would be like for two players that you clearly rate now.

A couple of blokes taken in the early 30s in 1999 could've been Daniel Giansiracusa and Leon Davis. Having those two instead of Bartel wouldn't have been a bad outcome. There's definitely still A-grade talent with picks in the 30s. The question should be more about how highly rated Poulter and McMahon were on our draft board. If they were rated highly, no issues with trading out an early pick in a draft in two years time that you have no idea what the talent pool would be like for two players that you clearly rate now.

There was an article from a journo who was with our recruiting team during the draft. Supposedly we rated Poulter top 20. And after Poulter, we moved from best available to drafting for needs. So assumedly MacMahon was rated a bit lower.

There was an article from a journo who was with our recruiting team during the draft. Supposedly we rated Poulter top 20. And after Poulter, we moved from best available to drafting for needs. So assumedly MacMahon was rated a bit lower.
"Are we hell-bent on Poulter?" asked Guy. The Pies are keen on Caleb Poulter, a 192-centimetre mid/forward, from South Australia. They project he will be there at pick 30.
"We'll do it," Hine said of this Freo swap. Shortly afterwards, they complete a second deal with Walls for Freo's pick 47.
Having taken Poulter, the fourth player selected whom they ranked inside their top 20, with pick 30, the Pies make a dramatic change of direction.
To this point, Hine and Guy have chosen players purely on their rankings. But from here on, they will draft for need, eschewing the "best available" philosophy for the immediate next pick, 31, and their final choice.

The targets will be longstanding holes in the Collingwood list: tall and small forwards, in that order.
The choice of tall, at 31, is Liam McMahon, a raw, 196-centimetre key forward from the Northern Knights.
Hine likes two South Adelaide small forwards who might fall in the 40s, Indigenous quick Phoenix Spicer and Beau McCreery. He's called their manager to probe which clubs are interested.
"North are all over Spicer," said Hine. "Forty-seven's our last pick."
To maximise their hopes of landing a coveted small forward, Guy and Hine do their final swap, this time with Port Adelaide, giving up that future fourth-rounder to move up from (now) 49 to 44.
Spicer has been taken by North at pick 42.

Collingwood, finally, drafted McCreery with pick 44 – their sixth selection in the 2020 national draft.
Those in the room shook hands or patted backs.

Wow 4 inside Hine's top 20, lets go!

And for once it's not just Hine saying it after the fact but independent confirmation from a journo that they were on Hine's list inside the top 20

Well l still don't agree with what you wrote, as a 14 year player with the one club, to me that isn't a selfish person, as l'm sure he would have had decent offers to go somewhere else, earlier on in his career.
I was just really disappointed with his comments in the interview, about clubs offering up a package deal.
He may have made those comments innocently, or he may be a little disappointed he was only offered a one year deal.
But Pendlebury definitely isn't selfish, considering the service he has given this footy club, and l am sure he will re-sign, and then go into coaching in a couple of years time.

The Saints have bulk inside midfield depth, you can see why they’d let a middling player like Dunstan go. Steele and Crouch are obviously the top dogs, Jones and Clark are two inside/outside balanced options, they like Gresham in the middle, want to put games into Jack Bytel who is young and solid, and they’ve got Hannebery as a luxury for the handful of games he’s fit for. AND there’s Seb Ross too, but like Dunstan he’s a free agent and I’m not sure he’ll be a Saint next season.

I’d be more interested in Seb Ross then Dunstan.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back