List Mgmt. Trade and F/A - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Um, okay, but then my comment still holds true - if someone wants Logan McDonald they need pick 1.

The Crows recruiting guy apparently dismissed the suggestion about not bidding on JUH because it’d mean Doggies would match and their player would get the bonus. They’ll select whoever is the number 1 on their list.

I have no evidence, but just a hunch that there is much we don't know. We were told there were no real salary cap problems by Ned and then a few days later the opposite from Bucks. I reckon Treloar and Stevo had such personal issues that the club decided to bite the bullet. Perhaps it should be kept quiet; it wouldn't serve anybody's interests to humiliate the players. Walsh gave an insight with his back-hander to Stephenson though.

Again, no evidence, but the whole thing appears so very amateurish that I don't buy it. It just seems impossible that all of our administrators didn't see salary-cap problems coming. It might become clear in a year or two and we'll all have to reassess our positions.
I thought it was a sham all along, we had Beams and Langdon coming off the list on good coin...that would be enough to sign up the remaining players and potentially upgrade some.

I think they believe Treloar’s hammies are cooked, and his disposal really did hurt us... Stephenson is the softest player to have played the game...mixed with his attitude problems they clearly could not have offloaded him quick enough. Phillips is overrated, but apparently not with what we got in compensation.

The salary cap problem came from loading up to retain the list after 2018....but again the Beams and Langdon relief should have resolved that problem.

I have no evidence, but just a hunch that there is much we don't know. We were told there were no real salary cap problems by Ned and then a few days later the opposite from Bucks. I reckon Treloar and Stevo had such personal issues that the club decided to bite the bullet. Perhaps it should be kept quiet; it wouldn't serve anybody's interests to humiliate the players. Walsh gave an insight with his back-hander to Stephenson though.

Again, no evidence, but the whole thing appears so very amateurish that I don't buy it. It just seems impossible that all of our administrators didn't see salary-cap problems coming. It might become clear in a year or two and we'll all have to reassess our positions.
Yep it is implausible that the salary cap issue came to such a sudden poorly managed conclusion. Doesn’t make sense. Also doesn’t make sense we give big contracts to highly rated talents , 2 of 3, then next minute shunt them out the door. As you say must be stuff we don’t know.

Yep it is implausible that the salary cap issue came to such a sudden poorly managed conclusion. Doesn’t make sense. Also doesn’t make sense we give big contracts to highly rated talents , 2 of 3, then next minute shunt them out the door. As you say must be stuff we don’t know.

The club put their house on the salary cap continuing to increase. That is what is likely to have caused the issue.

The club then reviewed the back ended contracts and the most expendable players were Treloar and Stephenson.

The only positive is that maybe we will stop over paying players.

The club put their house on the salary cap continuing to increase. That is what is likely to have caused the issue.

The club then reviewed the back ended contracts and the most expendable players were Treloar and Stephenson.

The only positive is that maybe we will stop over paying players.
If true a flawed policy that Rich, WCE, Geel etc didn’t follow. Whichever way we mismanaged compared to everyone else. As you say hopefully we now get player payments in order but for me it’s a sign that the Bucks/Eddie era should be over. I have been a supporter of both of them.

We had emerging salary cap problems 12 months ago. Pushed Aish out the door. Treloar was shopped to the GC but was allowed to stay. Phillips had interest from Geelong but was also allowed to stay. There were signs of pressure then and acknowledgement before the 2019 season that something was going to have to give. They were fully expecting a player or two like Elliott/Shaz to have been squeezed out.

Stephenson was chosen to be let go courtesy of his poor on-field efforts and some problems off-field in 2020. Some damning footage of him on a couple of different fronts and then a refusal to pull his head in when senior coaches/players addressed him about it. After the betting scandal a year before and a pretty full contract financially, the decision was made to move him on.

Covid comes and the salary cap needs to be adjusted down. We're stuck given the manner we'd back ended contracts. Something had to give.

Still, part of me wonders how we can let go of Dunn, Varcoe, Shaz, Broomhead, Wills, Appleby, Treloar, Stephenson, Atu, Phillips and retire Langdon (supposedly walked away with minimal payments) and Beams was not on huge dough but may have had much of his 2 years to payout and not have considerable space in our cap in 2021. These players, many of whom were on good money, will be replaced by ~3 first year players who will cost bugger all. If De Goey has signed for less (he should have been) it only adds to the intrigue. Was the step up in money for Grundy/Moore/Mihocek/Daicos that much?

There is no doubt considerable mismanagement which has occurred. It has been building for a while.

I hope that Callum Twomey is wrong and we don't miss out on Reef McInnes. I believe that we are looking to use our first round pick from next year to push into the Top 10 this week to get a better player and ensure that we don't have to forgo the opportunity to recruit a guy who has the size and speed (thought not yet the tank) that we've been missing in our midfield and who is keen to join the club. If we miss on Reef as well, having given away plenty of picks to the Bulldogs who are still insisting we pay $300k of Treloar's contract, then it won't be enough that just Walsh has gone.

If true a flawed policy that Rich, WCE, Geel etc didn’t follow. Whichever way we mismanaged compared to everyone else. As you say hopefully we now get player payments in order but for me it’s a sign that the Bucks/Eddie era should be over. I have been a supporter of both of them.

Too early to say regarding that, they may have pain to come. Those clubs would all view themselves as being still in the Premiership window, thus they'd be willing to kick any salary cap issues that they have down the road. Our decisions appear to have come very late, it could be that we made a late decision that we weren't in the premiership window and thus weren't going to kick the problems into future years. Another possibility is that we thought the AFL would be willing to not include the Beams payout in 2021 cap, that could be why our decisions to trade out cap occurred so late. I suspect that it's the former though, in which case the biggest error would have been thinking we were in the premiership window with our 2020 list, that and so badly butchering the Treloar deal so that we ended up not improving our draft hand much at all.

Last edited:
Too early to say regarding that, they may have pain to come. Those clubs would all view themselves as being still in the Premiership window, thus they'd be willing to kick any salary cap issues that they have down the road. Our decisions appear to have come very late, it could be that we made a late decision that we weren't in the premiership window and thus weren't going to kick the problems into future years. Another possibility is that we thought the AFL would be willing to not include the Beams payout in 2021 cap, that could be why our decisions to trade out cap occurred so late. I suspect that it's the former though, in which case the biggest error would have been thinking we were in the premiership window with our 2020 list, that and so badly butchering the Treloar deal so that we ended up not improving our draft hand much at all.

Coming off a GF appearance in 2018 we could have won and a PF in 2019 we should have won will do that to most clubs.

What we got for Treloar will be heavily contingent upon where the Doggies finish in 2021 and the value of their 2021 2nd. They win the spoon and we get the benefit of a late 2nd (in points value), they win the flag (worst case scenario) and we just about break even from a points perspective, but we've turned a couple of mid-late 2nd round picks into a 1st round pick.

It's definitely unders. At a minimum we should have been able to retain 1 of those 2nd round picks we gave up. But again, that might depend upon how much of his salary we're paying and for how long.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's been mentioned before but personally I wouldn't be reading to much into it.

At present he's just a teenager excited about the prospect of living out his dream but once the grind starts, the setbacks happen, other clubs come calling then his outlook will become more pragmatic than the romanticised view he currently has on what it means and takes to be an AFL footballer.
Also you can never underestimate the power of the nagging Mrs.

Can I get some help understanding why an Adelaide would bid on Jamarra if they know Dogs have points to match anyways?

Can I get some help understanding why an Adelaide would bid on Jamarra if they know Dogs have points to match anyways?
Force them to use what they have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back