Strategy Trade and List management (Add your rumour to the simmering stew that is the post season. Edition.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair enough. Your view, in my view

A - Port are set for tall backs IMO and that was a reason they were happy to let Trengove go noting most think back was his spot.

B - Young is nothing special at present and worth little IMO. would prefer to keep as a speculative punt.

C - Young would be absolutely of no value or enticement in Port trading Wines to us IMO.

FWIW I agree with you, I think he’s pretty expendable.

Also and I should have prefaced this but we would also absolutely have to include our first (pick 5 roughly)

So for example to get Wines it would be Pick 5 + Young, and as you said port might not even want another tall defender and/or want more.

I’m simply looking at ways we could obtain another A grade player whilst simultaneously thinning out our KPD stocks (which is much needed)

FWIW I agree with you, I think he’s pretty expendable.

Also and I should have prefaced this but we would also absolutely have to include our first (pick 5 roughly)

So for example to get Wines it would be Pick 5 + Young, and as you said port might not even want another tall defender and/or want more.

I’m simply looking at ways we could obtain another A grade player whilst simultaneously thinning out our KPD stocks (which is much needed)

Agree in reducing kpd's. But for me the only one I can see of any value who may want to move and I'd move is Adams. And only because of his injuries. May end up a Higgins or a Williams.

Send him to WA for player or second rd pick. KPDs are then Trengove, Naughton and Cordy with the contracted Fletch and Young as back up.

On Wines, he is a beast but also a bit of a butcher IMO. Would prefer silk like Kelly if we are talking long shot a graders. Either would cost at around 2 top ten picks IMO. How much would you want for Bont?

Agree in reducing kpd's. But for me the only one I can see of any value who may want to move and I'd move is Adams. And only because of his injuries. May end up a Higgins or a Williams.

Send him to WA for player or second rd pick. KPDs are then Trengove, Naughton and Cordy with the contracted Fletch and Young as back up.

On Wines, he is a beast but also a bit of a butcher IMO. Would prefer silk like Kelly if we are talking long shot a graders. Either would cost at around 2 top ten picks IMO. How much would you want for Bont?

Agree Kelly is better and as you say, worth 2 top ten picks.

Although in terms of Adams you could very well have the same issue that you brought up about Young. Both WA teams look stacked in the key defensive positions so both may think Adams isn’t required.

Trengrove in defence to me is going to be interesting. I’m not a Trengrove fan but I’ll conceed he’s been good since his recall. However he’s played when conditions suited tall defenders (Adelaide conditions were hardly ideal for tall forwards) and he played against Cox who is the most lumbering KPF/ruck in the game.

I’ll be super interested to see how Trengrove goes against more mobile talls in Hogan and Mcdonald this week. I think he’s going to struggle and that type of mobile tall setup is more suited to playing Cordy/Naughton/Adams as the three tall defenders.

If we want to be brave clear out some of the issues we have and really do a rebuild

Trade Adams back to WA.

Chase Kelly with first pick this year and next and Dahl.

Trade Or delist Honey Jong Collins Campbell Biggs Roberts Rough

Retire Moz Dicko Picko

Try to recruit Burgoyne and McVeigh over for last year and onto coaching panel.

Last edited:
Think its safe to say the Deledio miss is now firmly in the Bate/Dawes/Lobbe category of thank **** we missed. Richmond got rid of injury plagued Deledio and complete spud in Vickery same year for a 1st 2nd and 3rd round picks and picked up Caddy for 2nd rounder, Prestia for 1st rounder with a big upgrade coming back other way and Nankervis for third rounder. Deal of a lifetime for them, the ultimate trade period to fix a side.

If we want to be brave clear out some of the issues we have and really do a rebuild

Trade Adams back to WA.

Retire Moz Dicko Picko

Why would you want to trade out experienced players for more rookies? Will just make our problems worse.

Not sure about bringing them in to play but I like the idea of getting such fresh and innovative minds into our assistant coaching structure. Sam Mitchell has absolutely revolutionised the West Coast midfield and stoppage game plan this season.

Why would you want to trade out experienced players for more rookies? Will just make our problems worse.

Experienced garbage that will get us nowhere

Obviously you can’t get rid of all of them but I’d do a mass clean out.

Comparing this to Melbourne is a laugh,Melbourne had nothing on or off field and the only coach I consider close to as bad as McCartney. They also had a decade of no development AT ALL and complete lack of effort.

Melbourne all over again with that list of moves. Would set us back a decade.

Now you disagree I’m sure it the correct thing to do.

Get rid of the deadwood and being in some blokes that can actually lead.

But under your plan that’s “experienced” players in honey jong and Campbell being moved on will ruin the club for years. Yeah ok

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure about bringing them in to play but I like the idea of getting such fresh and innovative minds into our assistant coaching structure. Sam Mitchell has absolutely revolutionised the West Coast midfield and stoppage game plan this season.

We would be cutting down experience that doe nothing so they can fill a hole for a year. Add some mature age players this year and next as the ones on our list that will not help us move forward are cut.

Now you disagree I’m sure it the correct thing to do.

Get rid of the deadwood and being in some blokes that can actually lead.

But under your plan that’s “experienced” players in honey jong and Campbell being moved on will ruin the club for years. Yeah ok
Yeah because they're the only players you listed.

At least read your own comments before arguing a point.

Yeah because they're the only players you listed.

At least read your own comments before arguing a point.

Instead of simply trying to be an arrogant argumentative background know it all surmise that you can’t move that many on at once and it was a complete over view

Guess your ability to try and be smart clouds that.

Anyway I’m over your garbage welcome to ignore

Trade Adams back to WA.

Retire Moz Dicko Picko

Nice to see some good ideas from you!

Dal is an unrestricted FA, so can't be traded. I also doubt we would need to give up a top 5 pick plus a future first, as Kelly is a FA next year. We could wait a year and get Kelly for free, while getting a really good young inside/outside mid this draft.

Adams has no value until he gets fit. Rather keep and get him playing forward and lose some muscle. He has forward experience just needs more time there.

The coaches bit is what I really hope for. Could we try and get Mitchell from WA as the assistant coach? Its an instant promotion for him & it's another team environment that he can further develop his career.

The other coach I would target is Leon Cameron. As a midfield coach if the others are a no go, as I doubt he will be retained after this season.

I appreciate other people's ideas in this thread. Its what makes this board so great. But I feel some in here undervalue the need for depth, especially for injury prone sides like us lol
I get where some are coming from trying to eliminate the players that probably won't improve but you're right you always need some honest battlers on your list. Although there's nothing wrong with trimming a few.

I appreciate other people's ideas in this thread. Its what makes this board so great. But I feel some in here undervalue the need for depth, especially for injury prone sides like us lol

I do not undervalue the need for depth but I see no use keeping 6 year depth that can’t help at senior level anymore. Depth that can come in and actually help is one thing. Depth that you would rather play first year 18 year olds before is another

Nice to see some good ideas from you!

Dal is an unrestricted FA, so can't be traded. I also doubt we would need to give up a top 5 pick plus a future first, as Kelly is a FA next year. We could wait a year and get Kelly for free, while getting a really good young inside/outside mid this draft.

Adams has no value until he gets fit. Rather keep and get him playing forward and lose some muscle. He has forward experience just needs more time there.

The coaches bit is what I really hope for. Could we try and get Mitchell from WA as the assistant coach? Its an instant promotion for him & it's another team environment that he can further develop his career.

The other coach I would target is Leon Cameron. As a midfield coach if the others are a no go, as I doubt he will be retained after this season.

I have zero interest on Cameron. He has had a list any decent coach would have won at least one flag with already.

The players/coaches id be after to change things up are

Mumford - ruck coach
Burgoyne
McVeigh
Caracella - senior assistant to take over from Bev(I just have a feeling he won’t be around long)

Yes o know these are all long shots but why not have a dip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back