Mega Thread Trade and List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We most certainly have the money to at the very least throw a 5 - 6 year deal worth around 500,000 a season at the big forwards and it shouldn't neccasarily be at the GWS ones, all of whom haven't shown much as a chop out 2nd ruck. This deal I would be offering is at Charlie Dixon who over the past 8 games has kicked multiple goals in every single one. Offer Pick 5 and maybe something else for Dixon and Shaw would be the number one priority could even throw Jarrad Grant in.

So....
Pick 5 + Grant for Dixon and Shaw.
Gold Coast would laugh in our face.

I'd reckon Dixon is roundabout worth pick 5 and shaw is like grant in and out of the team. If that wasn't enough I would be happy to offer our first two picks for those two.
I'd reckon Dixon is worth far more than that to Gold Coast.

As for Shaw being in and out of the team, he's played 15 out of a possible 16 games this year. Grant would be in the team every week if not for injury.

I'd reckon Dixon is worth far more than that to Gold Coast.

As for Shaw being in and out of the team, he's played 15 out of a possible 16 games this year. Grant would be in the team every week if not for injury.

Possibly so, although the major issue for the GC is that one of Smith, Dixon, Nicholls (99% chance that will be Nicholls) will be spending all of next year in the NEAFL. At the end of 2015 one of the 3, unfortunately for us most likley Nicholls will want more game time at another club. Out of curiosity what type of deal would need to be packaged together to get both of them across (Dixon, Shaw). Could potentially use our higgins compo to package in that with pick 5. I feel thats being very generous.

Pick 5 + 21 for Dixon, Shaw.
I'm that keen I'd throw 27 in there too if neccesary.

As for Grant I don't think hes getting a shot at best 21 anytime soon. If he comes in he comes in as sub. Jones deserves to get his spot more than Grant at this stage.

Possibly so, although the major issue for the GC is that one of Smith, Dixon, Nicholls (99% chance that will be Nicholls) will be spending all of next year in the NEAFL. At the end of 2015 one of the 3, unfortunately for us most likley Nicholls will want more game time at another club. Out of curiosity what type of deal would need to be packaged together to get both of them across (Dixon, Shaw). Could potentially use our higgins compo to package in that with pick 5. I feel thats being very generous.

Pick 5 + 21 for Dixon, Shaw.
I'm that keen I'd throw 27 in there too if neccesary.

As for Grant I don't think hes getting a shot at best 21 anytime soon. If he comes in he comes in as sub. Jones deserves to get his spot more than Grant at this stage.
That's even more preposterous than your other suggestion.

You are severely overrating draft picks, and severely underrating both Dixon and Grant. And while you're right about one of them might want to leave, the fact is that all of them have been injured a bit so I highly doubt one of them will spend a lot of time in the NEAFL next year, due to the fact that it's likely one of them will be injured, and it's always good to have that back up.

I like Dixon, he would fit our team perfectly. He's a born and bred Queenslander though, can't see him being contracted leaving GC.

He is the perfect fit, he can kick bags, very good at ground level, good in the ruck. In my opinion I think it would be hard to get him but I would at the very least be offering 5 years for 600,000 a season. That would be a lot more than what he's getting at GC. If frawley deserves 4 years Dixon deserves 6!

Id argue that the only difference between the 2 teams was a strong KPD to put some semblance of pressure on the guy. We scored well and were very dangerous without a KPF.

Not saying I don't want us to land a key forward, just wasn't my main takeaway from the weekends game.
Carlisle would have beaten SOS the way he was playing.

That's even more preposterous than your other suggestion.

You are severely overrating draft picks, and severely underrating both Dixon and Grant. And while you're right about one of them might want to leave, the fact is that all of them have been injured a bit so I highly doubt one of them will spend a lot of time in the NEAFL next year, due to the fact that it's likely one of them will be injured, and it's always good to have that back up.

Interested to hear you thoughts on what sort of player by itself pick 5 would net us in terms of a trade irrespective of whether that player be a forward/mid/defender. Hypothetically is a player such as Darling from west coast worth a straight pick 5 swap or is that overs or unders.

Interested to hear you thoughts on what sort of player by itself pick 5 would net us in terms of a trade irrespective of whether that player be a forward/mid/defender. Hypothetically is a player such as Darling from west coast worth a straight pick 5 swap or is that overs or unders.
Oh btw not saying Dixon is a bad choice, Dixon would be perfect for us like you said, but we'd have to give up too much I think.

Darling from West Coast would probably be worth a straight pick 5 swap, but it depends on the team. I wouldn't be going for Darling, he reminds me of a poor man's Stringer. Gold Coast wouldn't be too interested in draft picks for example, just because they have so many young guns anyway. Whereas a team like Carlton would be.

Yep Dixon would fit us better than just about any other forward in the league, throw a huge contract at him but unlikely he'd leave.

Mitch Clark was determined to get home to Fremantle yet for the right money Melbourne secured the trade. I think an extra 200k - 300k a season speaks volumes as to where a player goes or not. I think that he is the most gettable out of the big 6 expansion forwards for us without throwing a star at them. He doesn't have to stigma of being a top pick so unlike Cameron, Boyd, Patton he wouldn't necessarily be worth pick 1 and in this draft the top 7 - 8 picks are pretty similarly rated.

Oh btw not saying Dixon is a bad choice, Dixon would be perfect for us like you said, but we'd have to give up too much I think.

Darling from West Coast would probably be worth a straight pick 5 swap, but it depends on the team. I wouldn't be going for Darling, he reminds me of a poor man's Stringer. Gold Coast wouldn't be too interested in draft picks for example, just because they have so many young guns anyway. Whereas a team like Carlton would be.

I agree on the Darling judgement as we have too many of those types at our club. Also agree that GC probably dont want/need any more picks except for one factor. GC currently in my mind have 2 clear standout KPD's and not much else. After Thompson and May, Clay Cameron is there next best and I think in due course GC would prefer May be the 3rd tall defender. If (very hypothetically) gave them pick 5, they would strongly look at Durdin. Leaving them that extra pick to get Weller.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mitch Clark was determined to get home to Fremantle yet for the right money Melbourne secured the trade. I think an extra 200k - 300k a season speaks volumes as to where a player goes or not. I think that he is the most gettable out of the big 6 expansion forwards for us without throwing a star at them. He doesn't have to stigma of being a top pick so unlike Cameron, Boyd, Patton he wouldn't necessarily be worth pick 1 and in this draft the top 7 - 8 picks are pretty similarly rated.
Yeah absolutely, would hope we're in his ear.

On another note... I think we can make something work GWS ;) Seriously though seems like quite a few clubs are showing interest which can only end in a bidding war, I'm okay with this.
10464331_295687493943914_5723723609448523012_n.jpg

Unfortunately where Higgins goes in FA is not going to improve our draft position nor give us GWS sympathy so that they give us one of there KPF for just pick 5.
Yeah but the more clubs that are interested, the better offer Higgins will get meaning better compo. Also it wouldn't be ridiculous to suggest that even though its free agency we can't cut some sort of deal with GWS. We allow Higgins to walk (he's only a restricted FA remember so we can say we will accept his terms) and they do a cheaper trade with us. Or simply refuse to let him walk and sign him, then trade him to them :p

But mainly the good thing here is if GWS want him to go to them, they will have to offer him a fairly big contract.

Couldn't he just accept the extra money that we give him in the deal then refuse to be traded! Leaves us in a bigger hole.
I'm pretty sure there would be something in his contract against that, lawyers aren't stupid. Well most of them aren't :p

Especially since we're run by one of the best :p We wouldn't match the GWS offer if it was 500k+, which it won't be.
Can you see Higgins moving to GWS for anything less though?

I'm guessing they judge the compo on the amount of the whole contract, right? How about we try to work out something like this -

GWS offer him a one year deal worth 800k, and then next year they can give him just say 100k averaging out to a normal 3 year contract or whatever they decide with him.

We then get band 1, and trade both first rounders for Patton + O'Rourke.

Win, win, win situation.

EDIT: Feck just realised that the compo goes on $ and length of contract, so there goes that idea.

Okay how about we tell GWS we will match any contract they offer Higgins and won't allow him to go, unless they trade us Boyd or Patton for our first pick and Higgins compo pick. Higgins, pick 5 and pick 19 for Patton or Boyd.

While I'm not the President of the Higgins fan club by any means, I'd feel a tinge of guilt sending him off to GWS of all clubs, even if it's where he wants to go. He'd realise he doesn't want to be there, sooner or later.

As for Dixon, he'd cost too much, and he's also a gigantic bellend. Can think of players I'd rather target.

Can you see Higgins moving to GWS for anything less though?

I'm guessing they judge the compo on the amount of the whole contract, right? How about we try to work out something like this -

GWS offer him a one year deal worth 800k, and then next year they can give him just say 100k averaging out to a normal 3 year contract or whatever they decide with him.

We then get band 1, and trade both first rounders for Patton + O'Rourke.

Win, win, win situation.

EDIT: Feck just realised that the compo goes on $ and length of contract, so there goes that idea.

Okay how about we tell GWS we will match any contract they offer Higgins and won't allow him to go, unless they trade us Boyd or Patton for our first pick and Higgins compo pick. Higgins, pick 5 and pick 19 for Patton or Boyd.

I think there's still a lot of water to go under the bridge for both Shaun and the Club.

While I'm not the President of the Higgins fan club by any means, I'd feel a tinge of guilt sending him off to GWS of all clubs, even if it's where he wants to go. He'd realise he doesn't want to be there, sooner or later.

As for Dixon, he'd cost too much, and he's also a gigantic bellend. Can think of players I'd rather target.
If Higgins decides to run off looking for more cash as if you could give a **** about where he goes

I think there's still a lot of water to go under the bridge for both Shaun and the Club.
Yeah no doubt, just a bit of discussion at this point.

I've made it quite clear I'd prefer Higgins to stay, unless we can get band 1 or use him in some type of deal for a good KPF but both of those are obviously extremely unlikely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back