Mega Thread Trade and List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

He will be, but it shouldn't be by us

Sounds like I am constantly pumping up his tyres , but he is a very smart and hard at it footballer.
Probably will win the B&F at Willy this year after winning one at Coburg.
I agree our list dos'nt need a player quite like him, but if he fell to a rookie , I would draft him.
For me it is ironic because he is a far better footballer than a few currently on our list of a similar age.

It's hard to rank them, they're all very close. Not sure I'd have Boyd first though, I think Hogan will be the better player of the two. Patton probably a close third.

That's how I see it too. I think they have underrated Hogan's strength, he's out muscling guys at VFL level already.

Who cares , not going to help us :(

Yeah it is a little depressing. Still interesting to me.

Who cares , not going to help us :(

well there seems to be reason to care
we need a gun forward as much as anyone
GWS will categorically not take him as they have Patton and/or Franklin and are desperate for hard onballers
Melbourne will not take him for the same reason they just have far too many key position players and no onballers of quality
StKilda will be really really tempted, but they are out of sorts big time down back and a few other areas and so its 50/50 whether they go with Boyd or not

I figure he is therefore 50/50 to come to us barring someone doing a deal with GWS
Potential dealmakers are Brisbane and Carlton, but we are hardly out of contention

Don't worry about macca saying we are out of contention, any good negotiator would do exactly the same

50% chance of getting to pick 4?:eek: I reckon the odds are more like 0.05% chance people can say club x doesn't need him all they like, but clubs don't pass up talant like that especially when there are question marks on Patton's knee, Clarke's foot and Dawes being a dud and St Kilda needing everything

GWS will categorically not take him as they have Patton and/or Franklin and are desperate for hard onballers
Melbourne will not take him for the same reason they just have far too many key position players and no onballers of quality
StKilda will be really really tempted, but they are out of sorts big time down back and a few other areas and so its 50/50 whether they go with Boyd or not

I figure he is therefore 50/50 to come to us barring someone doing a deal with GWS
Potential dealmakers are Brisbane and Carlton, but we are hardly out of contention

Don't worry about macca saying we are out of contention, any good negotiator would do exactly the same

yebiga, you are now the official holder of the "Mr optomistic 2013" award.
---- Congratulations :)

50% chance of getting to pick 4?:eek: I reckon the odds are more like 0.05% chance people can say club x doesn't need him all they like, but clubs don't pass up talant like that especially when there are question marks on Patton's knee, Clarke's foot and Dawes being a dud and St Kilda needing everything
Dawes is a lemon and Clark could well be screwed so Melbourne could even take Boyd.

I will fall out of my chair if GWS passed on Boyd let alone anyone else passing. When there is a guy so much better than the rest you take him regardless of need. Having Boyd, Patton, Cameron and maybe Franklin is one of those good problems. You can always trade guys away later. Or what if Patton doesn't work out and you passed on Boyd. That would be dumb. Besides if I were GWS i'd be comfortable playing Cameron as a 3rd tall or Buddy on the wing or Boyd or Patton as backup ruckmen.

Need is overrated when drafting. Especially with top 5 picks. It's more the later picks you focus slightly more on needs or if there are 2 similar players you take the one that fits better. Perfect example was Macrae and Wines. I think we probs had them rated similarly but Macrae fits a need.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dawes is a lemon and Clark could well be screwed so Melbourne could even take Boyd.
I actually think Dawes is a decent footballer.
Not pick 20 + a 3rd rounder + $500k pa good, but decent.

Don't forget Melbourne have spent the past few years drafting tall forwards - Dawes & Clark you've mentioned, then add Watts, Pederson, Sellar & Hogan - with Howe playing a marking role and Spencer/Gawn sometimes resting there.

I don't think GWS will pass on Boyd nor trade the no 1 pick - they'd trade out their third or forth best tall forward to get back into the draft in a later year before they'd pass up someone who is supposed to be that good (although pick 1 this year is really pick 3).

I have long believed GWS have their eye on some one other than Boyd. That does not mean
however that they will just ignore him as an option. If they do get Franklin [ and I have little
doubt that is already decided one way or the other, and that they know which it is], and no
deal for P1 is struck with someone else, I would not be surprised to see them bypass him.
Even in that circumstance arose, I see little or no chance of him sliding to P4.

As his asking price [ read P1 trade] will likely be far to high, we should be concentrating on
the more realistic options. I feel that is what our recruiters and MC will likely be doing right
about now.

" terrible disposal " ??? pretty harsh. I think his disposal is more than reasonable.
Some just don't understand , if you play inside mid the odd disposal can go astray because of pressure applied.
As I have said a few times now, I will be surprised if he is not drafted or rookied. He deserves it !

seeing him play that is the feeling I get, he needs to seriously work on it. From stats I've seen he is running at a 43% disposal efficiency which is definitely not good enough. If I was looking for a mid from the VFL (for us at least) then it would be Kane Lambert (Northern Blues) or Chris Cain (Port Melbourne) at National or PSD level and at rookie level it would be Ed Carr (Willy) as they suit our needs a little better.

I will fall out of my chair if GWS passed on Boyd let alone anyone else passing. When there is a guy so much better than the rest you take him regardless of need. Having Boyd, Patton, Cameron and maybe Franklin is one of those good problems. You can always trade guys away later. Or what if Patton doesn't work out and you passed on Boyd. That would be dumb. Besides if I were GWS i'd be comfortable playing Cameron as a 3rd tall or Buddy on the wing or Boyd or Patton as backup ruckmen.

Need is overrated when drafting. Especially with top 5 picks. It's more the later picks you focus slightly more on needs or if there are 2 similar players you take the one that fits better. Perfect example was Macrae and Wines. I think we probs had them rated similarly but Macrae fits a need.

GWS just don't need him and it would be silly for them to pass up the opportunity to trade in some mature bodies
I believe Brisbane are actually our main competition. They will want Boyd and throw in what they can to get the deal done. Our only advantage is that pick 4 will probably get them. What they really want and pick 7 may not.

I would be amazed if we are not in this up to our eyeballs, not withstanding Macca publicly dismissing us as out of contention. I think it is 50/50 just depends one what we have to offer

The best out of Hogan, Patton and Daniher is a big call considering how good Hogan looks. **** it maybe we should throw a good offer at GWS, you have to admit guys how ****ing good would it be having a genuine gun KPF on the list. As long as we don't ruin our team by trading away gun kids then I'm happy because seriously we could be a powerhouse if we got him! Top it off with some classy flankers/mids in the 2nd and 3rd round and damn that would be good.. I still honestly don't think we would need THAT much to upgrade 4 to 1.

I think we should stop worrying about getting to pick 1 (realisticly not going to give GWS what theyr'e asking), its pick 2 we should be targeting. Melbourne need a shit load of harder midfielders (really only Viney and Jones are at AFL quality if Grimes is in the back half) we could give them Young Midfielder X, Howard, Pearce and pick 4 that they could use to get Matt Crouch (type of player they need) and we could get back 2 and get James Aish (type of player we need). It's a lot to give up, but it would give us a guaranteed shot at one of Boyd and Aish.

Just having a think about the draft/trade week this morning.

I think the WORST possible scenario draft day would be:

Pick 1 GWS: Scharenberg
Pick 2 Melb: Aish
Pick 3 StK: Boyd
Pick 4 WB: ???

I dislike the Saints a lot - so Boyd at Pick 3 would sting big time than if he were to go to GWS or Melbourne.
Who should we go for at Pick 4 if this occurs? I keep hearing mixed opinions on Kelly and Billings and not sold on either. I am scared that we may get pick 4 wrong :(.

Close... But the WORST possible scenario is Melbourne getting a priority pick.....

Pick 1 GWS: Scharenberg
Pick 2 Melb: Aish
Pick 3 Melb: Kelly
Pick 4 StK: Boyd
Pick 5 WB: ???

I think if that happens I'll give up following football all together....:(

If the dees did get a pp it will be at the end of the first round otherwise there would be a revolt led by Eddie, the hawks etc..

Don't discount the possibility of Collingwood making a play for pick 1. Cloke is coming towards the end of his career, and most certainly needs another good tall to help him out at the moment. Trading someone like Beams and a fringe player/pick may do the trick.

Looking at a few draft profiles for Willsmore I had a wild thought. Could the dogs be looking at him in the draft for his ability to play a Gia/Mayne role? A forward line along these lines would be quite dangerous in 2015-2016 and ain't too big nor is it too small (5 that are or above 190cm).

Willsmore|||||Grant|||||Dahlhaus
Cramery||||||Jones|||||Stringer

oh and Conlon could very well be at CHF instead of Grant depending on boths next year or so

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back