Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As would I
Very exciting player to watch
Surprised how far players such as him and Lewis Taylor can slip
just because of their height
Hartung also is supposed to have a massive tank on him already

I'm not usually a fan of taking players below 180cm in the first round, but both are exceptionally talented players, especially Taylor. I think Taylor will go top 10 like Prestia because he will be a genuine midfielder. Recruiter's questioned whether players like Ben Kennedy could be a genuine mid which is why he slipped so far.

With Hartung, I think his run & carry game would appeal too much to clubs. Don't expect him to be at our 2nd pick but it's always possible. We will probably use that pick on Crameri anyway.

Game just finished
Zac Jones played a blinder 28 Disposals, 10 Tackles, 10 Clearances

Yeah he was very good. I thought Hartung kept dandy in the 1st half and then Jones won the game for them. Only thing is we have a few similar types to him which makes me a little less interested. Although he wouldn't be a bad option across half back at all.

With Hartung, I think his run & carry game would appeal too much to clubs. Don't expect him to be at our 2nd pick but it's always possible. We will probably use that pick on Crameri anyway.
I think he's a genuine chance to slide. There are a few similar players in the 5-25 range that he's in and imo a lot of them have more complete games. For example:
Freeman - wins more ball.
Bontempelli - taller.
Taylor - better goal sense and ability up forward.
Acres - more versatile.
I have a feeling he will slide and I'm really excited that he will. Would love to pick him up, but Mitch Harvey is still probably my preference there.

I think he's a genuine chance to slide. There are a few similar players in the 5-25 range that he's in and imo a lot of them have more complete games. For example:
Freeman - wins more ball.
Bontempelli - taller.
Taylor - better goal sense and ability up forward.
Acres - more versatile.
I have a feeling he will slide and I'm really excited that he will. Would love to pick him up, but Mitch Harvey is still probably my preference there.

Fair call. I can see all those going above him, but I still don't have him slipping that far even so. I guess it depends where others are rated not in that list.

Does anyone know much about Christain Petracca? Like height and weight, and how he went this year as a whole? Is a half forward for the Eastern Ranges, and had 23 disposals along with 11 marks and kicked 5.5 against Calder Cannons yesterday. Not eligible to be drafted until next year though.

As would I
Very exciting player to watch
Surprised how far players such as him and Lewis Taylor can slip
just because of their height
Hartung also is supposed to have a massive tank on him already

All you have to do is look at what happened to Nathan Hrovat last year. he was around the pick 14-16 in most phantoms and he dropped to us at pick 21 (I think it was 21 anyway). One of them might drop and we'll be there licking our lips. Let's hope one of them drops or maybe we'll be surprised by Cam McCarthy dropping or something like that. Let's just hope :)

1. *best available* (eg. Kelly, Billings)
2nd round. Zac Jones/James Battersby
3rd round. Tom Vandeleur (KPD - probably the better of the others of an average crop)/Cameron Giles
4th round. Orazio Fantasia (small crumbing fwd)
5th round. Ben Brown (A key forward will be easier to come by next year but Brown could be a someone who could work his way into the team and surprise late draft)
This is what KM said about our draft, not sure I agree ...

Looks pretty good but a couple of questions:
1. No Scharenburg? What is view on this

2. What about Conlon - trained with us (as did Dallas Willsmore?) - not sure of his recent performance

3. Would you take Thorp of Sideshow Ben was not still around?

3. Would

2. What about Conlon - trained with us (as did Dallas Willsmore?) - not sure of his recent performance

3. Would
1. I think he's assuming that St Kilda take Scharenberg as KM's drafts are generally based mostly on talent. In his opinion Scharenberg is pretty clearly the third best at the moment I believe. He just said best available though so I assume Scharenberg would come into consideration if he's there. I've made it pretty clear that, personally, I wouldn't touch him though if you were looking for my view.

2. Conlon's been injured all year so it's difficult to tell where he's at. Would consider him at our third rounder but I'd probably have Kolodjashnij and Vandeleur ahead of him to take there.

3. Thorp will very likely go before Brown. Personally I'm not sure either are what we're looking for but I'd certainly consider them.

It's also important to realise that KM is very big on the fact that next year is a 'key position player superdraft' (likely 5-7 KPPs going in the top 10) and believes that we'll have an opportunity to attend to that need there, hence us not taking a KPF early this year.

3. Would
Conlon from what I've read/heard about him is like a poor mans Tom Boyd, plays FF/2nd ruck role & is about 6'5-6'6, Willsmore is Jarrad Grant size (dunno if it's in his genes if he will bulk up) but is a leading CHF/3rd tall type.

I WANT SCHARENBERG!!!!!!!!!! Having Goddard & Pavlich clones in our side is too good not to turn down.

3. Rookie list if desperate.

1. I think he's assuming that St Kilda take Scharenberg as KM's drafts are generally based mostly on talent. In his opinion Scharenberg is pretty clearly the third best at the moment I believe. He just said best available though so I assume Scharenberg would come into consideration if he's there. I've made it pretty clear that, personally, I wouldn't touch him though if you were looking for my view.
St Kilda need elite mids to replace Hayes, Montagna & perhaps Dal Santo before they need utilities/defenders, if it's true they're into Delaney then they shouldn't need Scharenberg, we on the other hand have lost Hargrave & Gilbee plus Murphy ain't getting any younger makes sense imo we take Scharenberg. Billings/Aish/Kelly to Stk imo

St Kilda need elite mids to replace Hayes, Montagna & perhaps Dal Santo before they need utilities/defenders, if it's true they're into Delaney then they shouldn't need Scharenberg, we on the other hand have lost Hargrave & Gilbee plus Murphy ain't getting any younger makes sense imo we take Scharenberg. Billings/Aish/Kelly to Stk imo
I absolutely agree that St Kilda will take Kelly, but I don't agree that Scharenberg is exactly what we need. I was just offering a reason as to why KM might have left Scharenberg out of his examples for r1.

Thanks guys. Not sure about the idea of waiting to 2014 to draft a KPF for two reasons - who knows what will happen by then if we finish just out of the eight we may not get the great hope and - who knows where the next big thing will come from in the draft - Chris Grant was OK of course the draft is probably a better indication now than then.

We should give ourselves a good chance to make an improvement in this area this year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks guys. Not sure about the idea of waiting to 2014 to draft a KPF for two reasons - who knows what will happen by then if we finish just out of the eight we may not get the great hope and - who knows where the next big thing will come from in the draft - Chris Grant was OK of course the draft is probably a better indication now than then.

We should give ourselves a good chance to make an improvement in this area this year
Agree entirely, the problem is simply that, past Boyd, the strike rate for KPFs is likely to be very low, and/or aren't exactly complimentary to our forward structure.
McCarthy - very raw, has only been playing football for a few years; a risk.
Harvey - has some areas to work on and far from a guarantee that he'll hold up after adding more muscle to his frame; a risk.
Conlon - unknown quantity, we haven't seen him play all year and last year was mostly in the ruck; a risk.
Thorp - don't think he'll work well with Jones and Grant, and there are still question marks over him; a risk.
Brown - huge question marks over whether he'll be able to step up at the top level, very raw, and not sure he'll work well with Jones and Grant; a risk.
So on and so forth. I'm a big fan of Harvey and hope we take a punt on him at pick 22 (if for no other reason but to piss Collingwood off :)), but I doubt it. Past that it's about managing risk and reward; it's crucial we get this draft right and in my mind there are enough holes on our list to keep building by going best available at pretty much every pick. I'd rather pick one this year, but it may not be the smartest decision.

Agree entirely, the problem is simply that, past Boyd, the strike rate for KPFs is likely to be very low, and/or aren't exactly complimentary to our forward structure.
Harvey - has some areas to work on and far from a guarantee that he'll hold up after adding more muscle to his frame; a risk.
Conlon - unknown quantity, we haven't seen him play all year and last year was mostly in the ruck; a risk.
Thorp - don't think he'll work well with Jones and Grant, and there are still question marks over him; a risk.
Brown - huge question marks over whether he'll be able to step up at the top level, very raw, and not sure he'll work well with Jones and Grant; a risk.
So on and so forth. I'm a big fan of Harvey and hope we take a punt on him at pick 22 (if for no other reason but to piss Collingwood off :)), but I doubt it. Past that it's about managing risk and reward; it's crucial we get this draft right and in my mind there are enough holes on our list to keep building by going best available at pretty much every pick. I'd rather pick one this year, but it may not be the smartest decision.

darcy hourigan (190cm and still growing)

Love the look of McCarthy, its a pity he'll likely fall between our two picks. Isn't worth the risk at top 5 but would be a great steal at 22.
If he develops well, he could be one of the best of the draft.

darcy hourigan (190cm and still growing)
Again, don't think he'll work with Jones and Grant. His running/leading patterns are very similar to Jones' and I wouldn't be surprised if they got in each other's way. Matching key forwards is crucial. He's also probably not worth pick 22 but likely to be gone by 40.

Love the look of McCarthy, its a pity he'll likely fall between our two picks. Isn't worth the risk at top 5 but would be a great steal at 22.
Yep, agree with you there. Is a risky proposition for whoever takes him though.

I would love McCarthy at 22! He is seriously talented, he is extremely raw and looking at him you can tell that his body needs a LOT of work, but the fact that he has already shown that he has what it takes and yet he still has tremendous upside. He is an awesome mark, he is great beneath his knees and his kicking, while it looks a bit strange, is pretty effective. If he can get drafted to a good team and developed properly he could be anything.

I guess someone would probably take the chance a bit before 22 but I would be pretty shattered if we traded it for Crameri and then McCarthy was still available!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back