Mega Thread Trade and List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pick the only true answer:
A) Minson has just had a meeting with Geelong
B) Cameron has signed with the bulldogs
C) SEN journalists read these pages and think stuff said here is true

HINT: Was Minson at the VFL Grand Final? Or was he overseas on holiday?

Ill go with B please

Please be B please be B.

Travis Cloke has walked out on the collingwood football club due to them going after Mitch Clark and feeling that the club doesn't have full faith in him due to his injuries this year.
Likely to be a target for Bulldogs due to us lacking a key forward.

Travis Cloke has walked out on the collingwood football club due to them going after Mitch Clark and feeling that the club doesn't have full faith in him due to his injuries this year.
Is this true, or is it another VD rumour special? :p

I would love him, but he'd demand way too much.

I've heard this aswell.

I've heard the temptation for Jones to leave is pretty much all about money. Not knocking Jones in any way, but if clubs are waving a bigger cheque in front of him, he's got to at least consider his options. Same with Wood. Hopefully the club can satisfy both of them soon.

Players have a market value. Its just how it is. If we lose Jones over some small fraction of our salary cap that we arent paying the full amount of anyway....

Players have a market value. Its just how it is. If we lose Jones over some small fraction of our salary cap that we arent paying the full amount of anyway....

None of us have any idea how much money is involved. It might be a relatively small amount - it might be a very large amount. How can we judge whether we should meet Jones' demands when we are completely in the dark?

Minson trade would be a win win situation for both clubs .
We're not close to be contending and Will won't be there when it happens.
We've been grooming Tom and Ayce to play and it's now time .
I'd look at a rookie back up in case one gets hurt, but give them responsibility and show some confidence in our coaching and development .
I do not want to hear how Will playing for someone else hurts, as it's what's Best for OUR CLUB moving forward

Disagree

Ruckmen wasn't an issue for them almost all season. At one point they were playing three of them in the team. They got terribly unlucky losing two of them in the space of a couple of weeks right at the end of the year. Using top draft picks on ruck men wouldn't be a priority for them, they have much more important issues elsewhere.

Not really.

Simpson is a good chance to have to retire and Hamish may be close to in the same boat.

We definitely need a ruckman.

Doubt we would pay what you guys want though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The more I think about it the more I think we should trade Minson. I reckon Campbell is nearly ready, sure he probably won't dominate but I reckon he can already more than hold his own for most of the season, might run out of puff but then Cordy can take over, and of course we should find a mature ruck somewhere as back up too (which can be found for almost nothing). I think a team will pay overs for him and we need to start planning for life after Will. Honestly if Campbell spends the whole of next year in the 2s, dominating once again, there is no way he won't be having offers thrown at him and he might just go looking for opportunities. Campbell just has to play a lot of AFL next year, but if Minno is around we will have to fit them both in and not only is that interfering with Campbells development its also taking the place of a genuine KPF that we also need to develop.

People are saying Minno still has 3+ good years left so we shouldn't trade him, well what is Campbell going to do for those 3 years, he sure as hell won't be waiting it out at Footscray... Chances are he'd stay at the club rotating between forward in the AFL and ruck in the VFL, getting frustrated before asking to be traded, then Minnos career would come to an end and we'd be ****ed, right before we start moving into a serious finals push. Minno still has value, we can live without him and its absolutely in our best interests moving forward.

It just makes sense IMO and as much as I love Wilbur, the club needs to make the hard calls, and hopefully Minno can get some success himself.

Last edited:
Not really.

Simpson is a good chance to have to retire and Hamish may be close to in the same boat.

We definitely need a ruckman.

Doubt we would pay what you guys want though.

I admit I never knew about Simpson injuries being so bad he may have to retire. How come you let West go?? I still think Giles would be a good cheap option for you guys.

The more I think about it the more I think we should trade Minson. I reckon Campbell is nearly ready, sure he probably won't dominate but I reckon he can already more than hold his own for most of the season, might run out of puff but then Cordy can take over, and of course we should find a mature ruck somewhere as back up too (which can be found for almost nothing). I think a team will pay overs for him and we need to start planning for life after Will. Honestly if Campbell spends the whole of next year in the 2s, dominating once again, there is no way he won't be having offers thrown at him and he might just go looking for opportunities. Campbell just has to play a lot of AFL next year, but if Minno is around we will have to fit them both in and not only is that interfering with Campbells development its also taking the place of a genuine KPF that we also need to develop.

People are saying Minno still has 3+ good years left so we shouldn't trade him, well what is Campbell going to do for those 3 years, he sure as hell won't be waiting it out at Footscray... Chances are he'd stay at the club rotating between forward in the AFL and ruck in the VFL, getting frustrated before asking to be traded, then Minnos career would come to an end and we'd be ******, right before we start moving into a serious finals push. Minno still has value, we can live without him and its absolutely in our best interests moving forward.

It just makes sense IMO and as much as I love Wilbur, the club needs to make the hard calls, and hopefully Minno can get some success himself.

Agree with this and think its time that we pick the best 2 ruck/forwards out of Campbell, Roughy (who is moved from the backline), Cordy and have that experienced ruck in reserve. Also that these 2 play an equal split in the ruck and forward as I think both could provide different yet capable forward targets. If I were Macca I' would be telling Campbell to play like Mumford/Belchambers role and Roughy/Cordy to play like Stef Martin, that being Campbell is the real physical beast and Roughy/Cordy being the 2nd effort type who should be able to move around the ground well and push forward to make the opposition ruckman accountable. Still think the 2 ruck option can be succesful even with the sub, just as long as both Ruckman have versitility which I think ours (except Minno) have.
Roberts/Talia/Trade option that could get thanks to a Minson trade to strengthen our back half.

I admit I never knew about Simpson injuries being so bad he may have to retire. How come you let West go?? I still think Giles would be a good cheap option for you guys.

Simpson had his third lot of back surgery in 18 months so he is 50/50 to go on and hamishs knee is a problem.

They traded west as he is a 2nd ruck not a first ruck and they preferred blitz in that role.blitz would be a great 2nd ruck if we had a first ruck

Many of us are keen on giles.

Minson is a gun but i dont see us trading a 1st rounder for a 30yo and i dont think the dogs will let him go for less than that.

Agree with this and think its time that we pick the best 2 ruck/forwards out of Campbell, Roughy (who is moved from the backline), Cordy and have that experienced ruck in reserve. Also that these 2 play an equal split in the ruck and forward as I think both could provide different yet capable forward targets. If I were Macca I' would be telling Campbell to play like Mumford/Belchambers role and Roughy/Cordy to play like Stef Martin, that being Campbell is the real physical beast and Roughy/Cordy being the 2nd effort type who should be able to move around the ground well and push forward to make the opposition ruckman accountable. Still think the 2 ruck option can be succesful even with the sub, just as long as both Ruckman have versitility which I think ours (except Minno) have.
Roberts/Talia/Trade option that could get thanks to a Minson trade to strengthen our back half.
Yeah like the sound of that a lot. Could pick up Lever or Durdin at pick 5 and that would make a great setup with Talia and Roberts down back (with Moz still pushing on strong until Lever/Durdins ready). Or take someone like Laverde at pick 5, strengthen the **** out of the midfield and then take a Goddard or Marchbank if we can get a top 20 pick for Minno (which I reckon we would be able to, maybe have to throw in something small), or keep Roughy down back and build around a set up with Talia, Rough and Roberts (which I really like) and take Wright to pair with Campbell as the forward ruck when he's ready and trade what we get for Minno, for Reid (my favourite scenario) with Talia and Roberts down there too Roughy could probably still ruck from the backline. So many options.

Yeah like the sound of that a lot. Could pick up Lever or Durdin at pick 5 and that would make a great setup with Talia and Roberts down back (with Moz still pushing on strong until Lever/Durdins ready). Or take someone like Laverde at pick 5, strengthen the **** out of the midfield and then take a Goddard or Marchbank if we can get a top 20 pick for Minno (which I reckon we would be able to, maybe have to throw in something small), or keep Roughy down back and build around a set up with Talia, Rough and Roberts (which I really like) and take Wright to pair with Campbell as the forward ruck when he's ready and trade what we get for Minno, for Reid (my favourite scenario) with Talia and Roberts down there too Roughy could probably still ruck from the backline. So many options.

If we could secure 4 top 30 picks then I would be happy to trade probably one of those in the later 20's for Shaw from GC if we could get him and then use the rest in the draft. I wouldn't be against drafting Laverde at 6 (pending Frawley compo) particularly if McCartin, Wright, Durdin we assume will all be gone before then. 14 or that other pick we can get for the minno trade is where it gets interesting hypothetically we could get another classy user like Duggan at 14 and then use that remaining pick in the 20's on a tall (McKenzie/McDonald/Keitel) + Cordy and Foster in the later rounds.
That gives us

3 outside users with speed and skills (Laverde, Duggan, Shaw) 2 of which would probably slot straight into best 22
3 KPP 2 Tall forwards McKenzie/Keitel and Foster and 1 Tall defender in Cordy (which is my prefered options after the first round)
Plus leaving us absolute truckload of money for FA, BiG FORWARD BIG DEFENDER HELLO!!!

I'm confident between Roberts, Talia, Jones, Stringer and company will naturally improve and help our spine.
But these options I have mention almost overnight addresses our lack of pace and ability to hit targets in the one offseason and our balance of inside and outside mids plus rebounding defenders matches perfectly.
Check this out for a more balanced team than we have presently

Picken, Roberts Morris
Murphy, Talia, Wood
JJ, Libba, Macrae
Crameri, Jones, Hunter
Roughy, Stringer, Dahl
Campbell, Griffen, Wallis
Shaw, Laverde, Bontempelli, Dickson/Duggan/Grant etc

We then have a far better use of ball going into Stringer at full forward who in current form slots a huge haul of goals next season.
A great balance of inside ball getters and quick ball users.
Another season in our spine who will get better service in the forward line and cover for retirees such a Morris (with Cordy), Boyd (Duggan) etc and potentially for players who want out Jones (McKenzie) and Wood (Laverde).
Huge amounts of cash to splash on a KPF and a KPD who is ready to go and their age bracket of (22 - 26) will match perfectly with our young mid brigade.

I am happy to go one more season trialing our young spine next season. However if that doesn't work everything, cash and early 2015 draft picks go straight onto the FA/Trade table to fix holes we have hypothetically at say CHF and or CHB. No doubt though our midfield and flanks will be the envy of the competition.

Last edited:
None of us have any idea how much money is involved. It might be a relatively small amount - it might be a very large amount. How can we judge whether we should meet Jones' demands when we are completely in the dark?

Lets say he is being offered $450K and we are only prepared to pay $300K. $150K is <2% of the salary cap. Is that a good reason to let go a 23yo key forward?

Lets say he is being offered $450K and we are only prepared to pay $300K. $150K is <2% of the salary cap. Is that a good reason to let go a 23yo key forward?
it is if that 150K is needed to catcha a bigger fish then Jones...not that i am saying there is, just... saying :p

450K for jones aye.... good bye

I'm not so sure Jones is "out of favour". If we were still in the finals, he would be in the AFL side, not the VFL side. But the fact is that for the last 3 weeks, he's played well in the VFL but couldn't be promoted. He's proving that he can be consistent and play consistently well in the VFL, and has done that. There's a spot there for him next year and I think he's going to grab it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back