Strategy Trade and List Management thread 2.(...the waiting for the hammer to fall edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trade period starts soon :eek:

Hawks and Cats both admit they screwed this up post their first flag.

And franklY IDGAF. :D

Last edited:

Boys the reason many of us have been all for Cloke is the fact it's $225 and pick 60ish. It's costing us bugger all. There is no downside. The worst thing is he plays VFL at a Premiership club ;)

Cheap and dodgy insurance. When does that not end well?

The important difference now is that we know we don't need anybody. We have a premiership list already. If Collingwood want to play funny buggers we can call their bluff safe in the knowledge that the list we've got is good enough, and we don't have to stress whether we can win the flag without another power forward. We can.

Same goes for any other trades. Everything is different now. We call all the shots. Man this is gonna be good.
Hawthorn did not have prolonged success by keeping the same list

Cloke allows us to develop all type players at our club.
Someone to match up on as a young defender, to learn contested marking as a forward. Where to kick the ball for a mid.

Even if he plays mainly VFL he still help scray to back to back flags

I'd like to see boydy retire.

He's had an unbelievable season, but showed the odd sign in the back half of the year that he was slowing down.

We have bob coming back and we need to get Bailey Williams 15-20 games next season.

Boydy should go early and on top IMO.

What a club legend. No stress if he does go on, but I hope he walks away.
It's really only the romantic in me that wants him to go on, to get 300 games up.

Couple times in the finals where he's gone to kick and got smothered by some quick types got me worried.

I don't consider him insurance. Others may, but I think he's an important cog in a successful side.

Well club gets a free pass from me this trade period. If we see Cloke as key so be it.

I would say that having Cloke around to manage players (who are young) resting for less important matches would be a great luxury to have. There have been times this year that a veteran who can slot into the team would have been very nice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have a mate who works for Hawthorn who said Breust is gone, almost certainly to a Victorian club in exchange for currency for JOM.
He also said they're only moving on Mitchell after they secure Jeager.

What do people think we do have Cordy? He's obviously a defender but with Fletch and Hammers coming good, Moz an age defying gem, Adams to come back and of course Collins in the wings there's not a lot of room down back for him. I'm a big fan and think he'd force his way in over one of those guys for sure but are we better off if he continues to develop in his spot up forward.

For someone whose not a natural defender he sure knows how to find the goals whether it's from snaps out of nowhere or calmly slotting them from the boundry line under immense gf pressure!! His defensive work compliments put forward line better than any tall forwards in the leagues would. And with intercept marking becoming so important having someone to counter that could become the norm.

I reckon we go that way and train him there over the preseason. Upside in him is enormous, if he can start taking a few big grabs and finding more of the ball (which will come as he learns forwards leading patterns no doubt) then I don't see why he couldn't kick 40 goals (along with providing a heap through his defensive work). How many did he kick over 4 games? 8ish I'm guessing? That's in finals too, it only gets easier.

I'd like to see boydy retire.

He's had an unbelievable season, but showed the odd sign in the back half of the year that he was slowing down.

We have bob coming back and we need to get Bailey Williams 15-20 games next season.

Boydy should go early and on top IMO.

What a club legend. No stress if he does go on, but I hope he walks away.
I agree with you here Fronk. What better way to go out than at the end of a year in which you added to your resume:
  • Premiership player...no, Premiership hero
  • AFL Life Membership (300 senior games including pre-season and International Rules)
  • another All Australian Team selection.
On the other hand, if he wants to play on with Bob, he has now earned the right to make that call I guess.

Matt has a lot to offer the game off the field, so he will have opportunities, especially in coaching, if he retires now.

On Moyd, he is best 22 next year no question, still.

You can rotate him in and out with rest if the body cant take a full season again. Bailey Williams is waiting there keen for any game he can get and could slot into that position fairly easily.

If he wants to go on, he definitely should.

Trade period starts soon :eek:

Hawks and Cats both admit they screwed this up post their first flag.

And franklY IDGAF. :D

We don't want to be one hit wonders, this is our opportunity to build a really strong list to compete over the next 5-10 years with GWS who may become a dominant side, along with every other up and coming side whether it be Saints, Crows, Melbourne etc.

Footy is an extremely competitive environment both on and off the field. Other teams will be coming to our players and staff with open wallets in the next few years, we cannot be complacent.

The only way I think we can do this is to be aggressive at the trade table and look to upgrade our picks into the top 10 if and where we can, best opportunity is probably to do pick swaps for points with the Northern clubs.

Cloke is most likely locked in for next to nothing, he will add to the structure and provide depth

Plus I have a feeling we will upgrade Roarke Smith (seeing he was listed as an emergency in the finals series)

We will most likely (as history tells) want to draft 3 players on draft night which means a minimum of 5 drop off the main list

I am not up to date with the most recent signings however I think the following remained unsigned

-2 Prudden, Minson more than likely will be delisted

-3 of 4 Jong, Honey, Stevens, Hrovat - all looking like they may depart and we will receive draft picks in return
I hope we retain Jong

Hamling, Campbell, M.Boyd - All have been offered contract and have just or are yet to re-sign
Hamling and Campbell - just get it done if it has not happened. Boyd he can now decide if he wants to go out in a blaze of glory, he has earned the choice, is an AA this year and will be a Club legend

Hamilton ?? no idea why we re-signed him but in Bev we trust

So for me the most likely scenario is
Trade Honey, Stevens and Hrovat
Upgrade R. Smith

Look to upgrade draft picks we now have, I think they are 18, 36, 59, 71, 72 bundling with the picks we receive from the players traded out

Trade in best available Round 1, 2 and get in another young ruckman somewhere...............................................

OH and a Key Forward we will never win a Flag without a Key Forward

Last edited:
Cordy for me was always going to end up down back, moving into morris role but his forward workrate has been impressive
A full pre season training as a forward and could be that stop gapper we need for dangerous talls or smalls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back