Strategy Trade and List Management thread 3 (...The pining for the departed. Edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They'll also have more mediocre past first round picks to trade to Carlton. It's an endless cycle.
They lost 9 players this trade period. They cant keeo this list together. Anyone in their 22 will be able to command big money. And loads of young talent that cant break through will also continue to leave.

Let's put this shit in perspective shall we people?

If we were lower down the ladder we would have got NOTHING for the players weve traded, as the players at the bottom end of our list would have been delisted and unwanted.

To lay it out simply, with the exception of Hamling, they are uncontracted and we didnt want to give them another contract. That fact alone makes them have no value whatso-*******-ever. This is despite the fact that they can play football. That's true, but our list is really, really good and they are surplus to our requirements.

Hamling is the only meaningful loss.
Also, we have to remember that Hamling only had a good finals campaign but was not assured of a place in the backline for most of this and last year. A good question to ask is:
What is the guarantee that he would have the same finals form next year and the following for the dogs had he stayed? Prior to the finals he was a fringe player. He came good in the finals, but so did Roberts!
Good finals form is no gurarantee of continuous good form for years to come.

So now that trade period is over I'd love to know.

Who the Richmond player was who enquired about coming to the dogs but the we said no?
Mattdougie who was the player you referred to that we had about 5 percent chance of getting.
And any other players in the background we were linked too.
I feel like the Richmond one was Houli.
The MD one was Robbie Gray.

Does the swapping of our 4th next year for Saints 5th indicate that we will only take 3 picks in the draft next year too?
Likely, yes.

Also that we might not be looking at any F/S picks for 2017.

Also that draft picks after 3rd round rarely amount to much now that clubs have full time recruiting staff.

I agree that they don't need him, but they don't actually need anything in particular. They've already been gifted everything they need and more.

Maybe take a quick look at their list before making uninformed sweeping claims about it:

KPDs:
Davis
Haynes
Tomlinson (can also play forward)
Mohr
Corr
Finlayson
KPFs:
Cameron
Patton
Lobb
Himmelberg

They're well stocked for talls at both ends (certainly a lot better than us in this regard).

Ok Davis and Cameron are quality and Patton is good. The others are all untried or crap.

Do you really think the defenders are as good as Moz, Adams and Sid or the forwards as good as Boyd, Red, Cloke,mStringer and Crameri? If I were them aid be drafting some good young KPPs.

So now that trade period is over I'd love to know.

Who the Richmond player was who enquired about coming to the dogs but the we said no?
Mattdougie who was the player you referred to that we had about 5 percent chance of getting.
And any other players in the background we were linked too.

I know:

1. We were very confident Hurley was coming. Still burns......:(

2. We were red hot on Motlop and vice versa until the finals came and went. We were prepared to give up our first rounder for him prior to that.

3. Vardy was keen, as we were, until 1) we won the flag 2) Nic Nat and Lycett both went down and 3) campbell unexpectedly re-signed.

4. Adams never requested, nor pursued a trade. He was honest with the club in that he was struggling a bit in melbourne, and that if it suited the club to trade him this off-season, he was cool with it. We leaked it to the media for our own purposes.

Think Igloo is bang on the money re the Tigers player that wanted to come, but that we rejected.

I got no Intel at all on the Deledio stuff.

I know:

1. We were very confident Hurley was coming. Still burns......:(

2. We were red hot on Motlop and vice versa until the finals came and went. We were prepared to give up our first rounder for him prior to that.

3. Vardy was keen, as we were, until 1) we won the flag 2) Nic Nat and Lycett both went down and 3) campbell unexpectedly re-signed.

4. Adams never requested, nor pursued a trade. He was honest with the club in that he was struggling a bit in melbourne, and that if it suited the club to trade him this off-season, he was cool with it. We leaked it to the media for our own purposes.

Think Igloo is bang on the money re the Tigers player that wanted to come, but that we rejected.

I got no Intel at all on the Deledio stuff.
something that's bobbed up in my brain after the fact regarding Adams is the possibility that we used that as a carrot to lure Alex Pearce. Just like when Griffen had requested a trade to GWS we saw the opportunity to facilitate a common sense trade, i think we may have put that option to Pearce.

Regardless, i'm feeling positive about keeping Adams and crazier things have happened than having players get happy and re sign after such events

That must be because he destroys us every time we play Geelong :oops:

something that's bobbed up in my brain after the fact regarding Adams is the possibility that we used that as a carrot to lure Alex Pearce. Just like when Griffen had requested a trade to GWS we saw the opportunity to facilitate a common sense trade, i think we may have put that option to Pearce.

Regardless, i'm feeling positive about keeping Adams and crazier things have happened than having players get happy and re sign after such events

Adams was freo's plan B if they couldn't land hamling. So to have west coast publicly express interest in Adams, heaped pressure on freo to get hamling done.

McCartney is a smart smart man. And our relationship with west coast helped a lot as well.

Spot on Fronk, the trade period reminded me of when people throw 20 chips at 100 seagulls.
Dogs are the premiers,they didnt need to get involved in all that. They had a serious crack at Hurley, a crack at Deledio and lost some players ranked between 23 and 32 on the list.
Looking forward to season 2017 with recruits Murphy Adams Wallis Cloke Suckling Dale Webb Williams amongst others pushing for senior spots.
Probably need a rookie ruckman and key defender but Dal is in good drafting form so we will be alright.
Can't wait to read the papers tomorrow when they tell us who won the trade period. Always good for a laugh.
Couldve taken witts

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adams was freo's plan B if they couldn't land hamling. So to have west coast publicly express interest in Adams, heaped pressure on freo to get hamling done.

McCartney is a smart smart man. And our relationship with west coast helped a lot as well.
He's a deadset gun. I have to wonder about those bagging him.

People need to realise a lot of the trading shit that goes down is out of the club's hands and a lot of the time it's just trying to get the best out of a bad situation.

Still struggling to work out what currency we would have had to get Hurley. Don't think pick 18 would have been enough. We probably would needed to do what Hawthorn did for OMeara meaning no picks at all for two years. Keeping Adams would be just as good as getting Hurley and a lot cheaper.

Hamling
Age,height,& athletic ability says he was a must keep. However, his early season form was erratic. I Remember clearly in the rd 3 hawthorn he was lairizing going for marks 3 deep on two occasions and it cost is big time with opposition marks and goals when the punch was the only real option. He may have been dropped after that game or shortly thereafter. His form in the vfl was so so.

He was called up late with opportunities because Adams was injured and fletch flaky.

It suggests to me his mental focus is a bit lacking - otherwise we would have fought harder to retain him.

Respect to him in helping deliver our enchanted finals success. But the brains trust at the dogs has good runs on the board. There is a great spirit in the group. If Hamling was considered important to that spirit he would certainly be retained.

The compensation we got from freo was close to fair.

Yippie we are premiers
And we will be challenging again next season!

I agree that they don't need him, but they don't actually need anything in particular. They've already been gifted everything they need and more.

Maybe take a quick look at their list before making uninformed sweeping claims about it:

KPDs:
Davis
Haynes
Tomlinson (can also play forward)
Mohr
Corr
Finlayson
KPFs:
Cameron
Patton
Lobb
Himmelberg

They're well stocked for talls at both ends (certainly a lot better than us in this regard).

Maybe take a quick look at another list before we let a list of names yet to actually achieve anything scare us.... They actually do need something in particular:

f4eb83ac1c43322480755a1253b035c8.jpg

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

You make a good point, I hadn't realised just how few early picks they had left. I haven't done the maths yet but it looks like they might only be able to afford Setterfield and Perryman. Wouldn't mind having a stab at Macreadie with pick 26, would be a great fit for us. His form this year has paled in comparison with last year though.
Drafting Macraedie is exactly the opposite of Dal's type of drafting. He goes for the player swho rise in their final U/18 year (Bont, Macrae, McLean getting dumped from his U/17 TAC Cup team etc.), as opposed to sliders, like Macradie, who this time last year looked like a top 5 pick in this draft but now could go outside the top 20.

Drafting Macraedie is exactly the opposite of Dal's type of drafting. He goes for the player swho rise in their final U/18 year (Bont, Macrae, McLean getting dumped from his U/17 TAC Cup team etc.), as opposed to sliders, like Macradie, who this time last year looked like a top 5 pick in this draft but now could go outside the top 20.
I was thinking this myself, he's really not a Dal pick. But a player with his attributes would be good for us, maybe he goes against his style for once.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back