Strategy Trade and List Management thread 3 (...The pining for the departed. Edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Good interview. You can tell he is a bit pissed off we got unders for Koby which is good to see. Maybe he did squeeze out as much as we could for him.

It's just hard to lose a player who you know is a walk up start in StK's best 22 for a 61>50 upgrade while downgrading our 4th next year.

Surely next year we become a destination club and can bend some clubs over in the same way. Most of Hawthorns great trades came after their 2008 flag.

They'll match him I reckon. Sproule's the one I reckon they'll let go. 26 too early and 50 too late though.

But will they be able to?

If say picks 3 - 6 nominate nominate a GWS Academy player, GWS need to use their first and one of their second round picks. Another nomination in the 6-10 range will knock off their other second pick and two thirds. Leaves them bugger all.

So GWS may only get 2 of them. I thought McCraedie wasn't in their first two picks?

Im really looking forward to watching Dion Johnstone play vfl next year if undrafted.
Reckon hes got a bit of Mclean in him, loves the contest and doesnt back down from oppos

Can't see why everyone thinks GWS did well out of that deal. Marchbank was half of the Boyd deal (pick 6) - so they get 2 injury prone guys for 3 seasons each (Deledio and Griffen) for a number one pick ten year player (Boyd). Who are they going to replace these guys Shaw, Mummy and SJ with in 3 years time with?
GWS did poorly in the Boyd deal (given Griffen's mediocre performance since). They then drafted poorly when selecting Marchbank. The trade deals this year though were good- offloaded multiple players they didn't want, lost Marchbank who was always leaving and nabbed a very good player. They have plenty of options to replace the old heads, given the huge amount of young talent they already have and the academy Riverina leg up that will continue to deliver top 10 picks for years to come.

But will they be able to?

If say picks 3 - 6 nominate nominate a GWS Academy player, GWS need to use their first and one of their second round picks. Another nomination in the 6-10 range will knock off their other second pick and two thirds. Leaves them bugger all.

So GWS may only get 2 of them. I thought McCraedie wasn't in their first two picks?
They can just go into a point deficit next year if they run out of points this year.

The last thing you'd want as an opposition club for the Bulldogs to do is bring in more young talent, and the two picks inside 30 should do this. History shows age is the only thing that ruins a list and with the key aspects of the list being so young there is no set premiership window at the club right now, just an opportunity for on going success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gws's deprh is still overrated.

If Mumford goes down they're screwed
They're also nowhere near as well coached as we are. Bevo has proven he can adjust to any player going down, whether pre-game or during a game (just look at our many different versions of the backline we played this year). Cameron has not.

They're also nowhere near as well coached as we are. Bevo has proven he can adjust to any player going down, whether pre-game or during a game (just look at our many different versions of the backline we played this year). Cameron has not.

They're strong favourite to win it and that's fine.. but based on what? We beat them in sydney while down Roughy and missing alot more players.. flogged them in inside 50s just didn't have the tall targets.

But their natural development is a lot better? Flogged by Melbourne at the MCG and struggled against essendope with only the umpires getting them home.. ordinary in melbourne

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also remember sometimes these fringe players go on to become good players at other clubs (Think Hawks and the McGlynn and JPK trade), but that doesn't change our overall position as a club. It happens sometimes.
Good example, but the flipside is that the Hawks netted Stratton and Suckling with those picks.

Marcus Adams still on the list and willing to play in the RWB next season after all that?
I'm assuming yes. And if anyone's familiar with the 12th Man's finest work, The Final Dig, we've got 12 months to come up with a plan to keep him....

They're strong favourite to win it and that's fine.. but based on what?
Based on the fact that literally their only dud player from the PF is no longer at the club and only played because of a Stevie J brain fart. Look at their PF team and add in Stevie J and Deledio - who else apart from Palmer actually comes out?

Their best 22 is scary good and clearly the best in the competition but their depth is not as strong as other contenders (us included).

So how long does minson have to find a club? There is still a delisted free agency period is there. Id be more than happy to redraft him as a rookie backup ruck if he has no takers

Bit insulting Deledio chose Great Waste of Space for a premiership isn't it though?

Sure they're good.. but so are we.. and better coached
We didn't have the picks to satisfy Richmond though. There's every chance he picked them because he knew they would get the deal done.

what about guernsey numbers?
reckon cloke, jongy and the 3 draft picks battle it out for 13, 25, 27, 30 and 40 and the rookie can have 41 and 44 and Dion Johnstone if we grab him can have 45. Reckon Cloke will get 40 and Jongy will get 13 for some reason

Not a bad trade period. I know a lot of people were disappointed that we only really brought in Cloke, but everyone that was available was either a player we didn't need or someone that would have cost us too much.

I think we won on the Cloke and Hamling trades as well as the pick swap with GC. We definitely got unders for Stevens and Hrovat, but they could have easily gone to the PSD for nothing.

So we go into the draft with 18, 26 and 50. I would have liked a higher 3rd pick, but I have faith that Dal will pick up a bargain. I mean he did get Caleb at 46.

They're strong favourite to win it and that's fine.. but based on what? We beat them in sydney while down Roughy and missing alot more players.. flogged them in inside 50s just didn't have the tall targets.

But their natural development is a lot better? Flogged by Melbourne at the MCG and struggled against essendope with only the umpires getting them home.. ordinary in melbourne
I mean we lost to Fremantle at Domain and struggled against Richmond.

Every team has a few bad performances every year, even the best ones. I know we all hate GWS, but don't let that hate cloud your view. GWS have a very scary team and were within a goal of getting to the Grand Final where they would have played a team they destroyed three weeks prior.

It's too bad they were up against a better team in that prelim ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back