Strategy Trade and List Management thread 3 (...The pining for the departed. Edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glossing over FA list. If we need a KPD seems limited REALISTIC options.

Cost a bomb and hard to get : Johnston (Freo) , Trengove (Port)

Consider ?? : Hansen. Pittard Mackenzie

Cheap as chips to add depth:
Ottens. Has stepped up in 2016 and seems to have put injury woes aside
Trengove (Melb) slow as treacle after his injuries according to their fans.

Should we nibble at any of the above ?

Relevant to the Stringer rumours, but not entirely related to it: do we consider Stringer to be untouchable? Legitimate question, I'd like to get people's thoughts on it. Honestly, I would be quite willing to trade Stringer if we got something ample or better in return.

Stringer has a ridiculously high ceiling but a worryingly low floor, and recently it seems more often that (in terms of a whole game) he plays at a level closer to his floor. He's not that intelligent a footballer, especially when we are being beaten around the ground. And yes, I know that he's a match-winner but as someone getting ever-closer to their prime I'd want to see him a) be a 'match-winner' more often and b) play to his potential for full games. Kicking goals doesn't solely justify his success. It would be risky to trade someone so talented entering their prime, but on the flipside, there will be teams willing to pay big money for him. I'd honestly be quite willing to jump at say: Stringer + possibly some low pick for Charlie Cameron + 1st rounder, although that's very, very speculative.

Last edited:

Only Trengove appeals for me. Pittard If three or more of JJ, Webb, Murphy and Moyd go

We're not trading the most talented player on our list.

Jones is comfortably the best key defender available.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sorry to intrude but do you think JJ value has plummeted in the last 2 weeks?

He could actually be worth more to us as it shows how much we need him. The other thing is that Murphy is 34. If you don't have pace off half back you are stuffed. Have a look how good Adelaide are when Laird and Smith fire, Melbourne is when Hunt gets it or GWS are with Wiliams and Wilson. I'd be giving him a pretty good offer. We've got plenty of slow mids- pay them less.

The moves I'd be trying to make (in order of preference) are..

Re-sign JJ
Re-sign Moz
Trade our first pick for Gunston
Sign Pittard as an FA

Biggs - Adams - Morris
Pittard - Cordy - Wood
Hunter - Bontempelli - Johannisen
Macrae - Gunston - Dahlhaus
Dickson - Boyd - Stringer
Roughead - Liberatore - Wallis

Picken, McLean, Suckling, Daniel

Williams, Dunkley, Redpath, Jong, Dale, English, Cloke, Lipinski etc. - Whoever is in form.

I also fully believe we should be going for Goldy, too. But I know that won't happen. As I've said before I'd also be going for Stratton if Moz pulls the pin.

The moves I'd be trying to make (in order of preference) are..

Re-sign JJ
Re-sign Moz
Trade our first pick for Gunston
Sign Pittard as an FA

Biggs - Adams - Morris
Pittard - Cordy - Wood
Hunter - Bontempelli - Johannisen
Macrae - Gunston - Dahlhaus
Dickson - Boyd - Stringer
Roughead - Liberatore - Wallis

Picken, McLean, Suckling, Daniel

Williams, Dunkley, Redpath, Jong, Dale, English, Lipinski etc. - Whoever is in form.

I also fully believe we should be going for Goldy, too. But I know that won't happen. As I've said before I'd also be going for Stratton if Moz pulls the pin.

Rather Lever than Gunston. If we kept JJ though $$$ could be a problem.

What Hawks players are there that have some value for them to get back in the draft that they could cop letting go?

Would Rioli be on that list?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The types pumping Jones up after TWO decent games are the same folks who call for a delisting after one or 2 shockers.

No I always wanted to keep Jones and if stayed he will have most likely played in a premiership instead of Cordy. Jones only played one season in a decent team which was his first year. The way the games played currently the athletic defender has never been more valuable, especially one who has poor endurance like Jones who now doesn't need to follow a forward up and down the ground.

No I always wanted to keep Jones and if stayed he will have most likely played in a premiership instead of Cordy. Jones only played one season in a decent team which was his first year. The way the games played currently the athletic defender has never been more valuable, especially one who has poor endurance like Jones who now doesn't need to follow a forward up and down the ground.

I heard he had asthma problems. Which explains his poor endurance. Did our medical staff know about that?

Is collins from freo in the frame and or gettable. Not sure why he hasn't been playing and not on their injury list, i recall a few on here where keen last year and i haven't seen him since.

Sid re-signing is a good news. I like the way he is coming on and just seems like a real clubman no real issues when it is contract time and he just goes about his business with minimal fuss. Seems teachable and a hard worker.

Do you remember Jon Ballantyne ? Same deal. Was excess to our KPF needs and shipped off to Collingwood. String a few good games together for them as a FB. Pies fans were giving us heaps about our dumb coach playing him out of position. He Then vanished into obscurity.

Do you remember Jon Ballantyne ? Same deal. Was excess to our KPF needs and shipped off to Collingwood. String a few good games together for them as a FB. Pies fans were giving us heaps about our dumb coach playing him out of position. He Then vanished into obscurity.

I agree with this (forgive the bump but I wanted some footy talk). I said earlier that I think we should have taken at least one more outside mid in the 2011 drafts instead of so many forwards. I still think that is true but maybe the club sees the quality in that area in the 2012 draft.

the recruiting of key forwards may also have been done to address the lack of KPDs. There was an old football saying "jibs and ragbags to the back line". Jack Dyer used it and it related to always giving a player a go in the back line before he was delisted. Not calling any of our recruits, or existing players, jibs or ragbags but the premise I think remains true that you should try a player in the back line before he is dumped and it just might click. There is a chance that some of these new recruits could adapt to defensive play and play a role.

So maybe the key forward and back positions have been addressed - now for some pace and class in the middle.

My post above is from January 2012 and refers to an old football saying about trying guys in the backline before you delist them. An old one but a good one. (admittedly as you say based on only two games)

My post above is from January 2012 and refers to an old football saying about trying guys in the backline before you delist them. An old one but a good one. (admittedly as you say based on only two games)

Fair call too. But there are some here who suggest he WAS tried there.

Chris Grant went to Chb and did ok.

Cheers

If it continues we need to make some hard calls.

Crameri-Melb-pick around 30
JJ - Essendon-2 late first round picks
Webb-Brisbane pick 18
Honeychurch-late pick Gold coast

if we stay where we are we would have picks:
10-15-16-18-27-30

Then offer pick 18 for Dunstan
Then offer pick 30 for Abblet and $400k a year

Picks 10-15-16-27
Abblet
Dunstan

Do it......................