Strategy Trade and List Management thread 3 (...The pining for the departed. Edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Murphy, Moz and Boyd all going at once. Need to go for some experience down back, that's not even factoring in JJ...

Pittard has gotta be on our hitlist. Need to make a move like Geelong did with 2E this year.

Biggs - Adams - Wood
JJ - Cordy - Williams

That's not great.

Murphy, Moz and Boyd all going at once. Need to go for some experience down back, that's not even factoring in JJ...

Pittard has gotta be on our hitlist. Need to make a move like Geelong did with 2E this year.

Biggs - Adams - Wood
JJ - Cordy - Williams

That's not great.

I rather like it. It's never going to look as secure without the 3 vets, but that's part of a footy cycle. Add Webb and Suckers along with Dad and Young, it's not catastrophic. A bit of clever recruiting could allay any concerns re depth. Roarke Smith could be the2018 smokey also.

The massive difference in form from last year to now with the same list (and even fewer injuries) tells me it's far more about how we play rather than personnel.

No doubt we have holes to fill (small forward, burst mid, key forward), but the biggest priority in the off-season needs to be getting the boys fit and confident again, and the drink devising and employing another A grade game plan.

Biggs - Adams - Wood
JJ - Cordy - Williams

That's not great.

I don't think that back six is terrible, it's just unlikely they'll all stay on the park for six months.

But ultimately you're right, it's why we took Collins and were well into Hurley. So this year we need to find an established KPD from somewhere - they might not need to be a world beater, but at least serviceable.

Plus, you know, run from midfield, better ball users, a solution to the KPF conundrum etc. Good luck jmac.

I don't think that back six is terrible, it's just unlikely they'll all stay on the park for six months.

But ultimately you're right, it's why we took Collins and were well into Hurley. So this year we need to find an established KPD from somewhere - they might not need to be a world beater, but at least serviceable.

Plus, you know, run from midfield, better ball users, a solution to the KPF conundrum etc. Good luck jmac.
Heard about a player currently running around in the VFL. Bit of a funny name, Fletcher Roberts.
He is no world beater, but has a bit of experience and he is also a premiership player...

Taking the piss a bit here but what is really out there that's a whole lot better than what we already have.

Unpopular opinion that will probably get me lynched.

I don't think you can rule out Casboult as somebody that could potentially offer something to us, for the right price. Particularly if Cloke and Crameri come off the list and we find ourselves without a high pick.

I mentioned two years a go we should look at him Dannnnnn.
What do you think the response was back then ?

General comment on some of the commentary we've seen in this thread about the likes of Hugh Goddard and our own Kieran Collins.

Key defenders are funny beasts. They can look utterly hopeless for years and then all of a sudden have it click out of nowhere. I look at Sam Frost, who was diabolically bad for the first five years of his career, and has suddenly displaced Tom McDonald and played a crucial role in Melbourne's good form. I look at Aliir Aliir, who was utterly clueless at junior level, looked ordinary for two years, then seemingly turned a corner (although has struggled this year). The abuse and derision that Alex Rance copped in his first few years was something to behold, and now stands as one of, if not the best key defender in the game. Cale Hooker's another example. Joel Hamling, Kyle Hartigan (although still not fantastic), Jack Hombsch, David Astbury...

Of course, not all KPDs are like this. Guys like Weitering and Lever have looked good since they started. To my eye, though, it seems to happen with greater regularity than in many other positions.

Sometimes you just have to take a punt and give a young KPD longer than you would ordinarily, or take a risk on one from another club. It's less about looking for production in the early stages of a key defender's career in my opinion.

In my day , before the Boer War , anyone that played back was a guy with not enough ability to play forward.
And key backs that were good and went on and played at the top level were often forwards in their junior days.

We DO NOT need another 2nd rate KPF.

We have Toyd trying to develop. Red being one dimensional. Crameri with a crook hip and SFA footy for 2 years. Cloke has his own dramas. BTC and Roughy need to rest up there. So unless ( and I admit it is feasible) we see the backs of Cram,Cloke and possibly Red & BTC, I don't see why we clutter our list with anothe B grade CHF with suspect accuracy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is morris cooked? Worried for the first time in his career.
Missed 7 Weeks with a Broken Leg after coming off a broken back... Not really concerned at this point. See how they year progresses when he has come continuity

Kennedy-Harris for Melbourne has been burning it up in the
VFL recently with regular mid to high thirty possession
games + goals, wants to get a game soon because he
is going to be in demand otherwise.

Re-signed recently I think.

Morris is in the stage of moving from invincible back to being human. He'll now have his ups and downs like anyone else.

I mentioned two years a go we should look at him Dannnnnn.
What do you think the response was back then ?

The Trav and Kaz show.

Kaz has improved his kicking. As a FA ie no trade cost, I could handle Kaz - good overhead - unlike pretty much our entire list.

On a side note not fussed if we lose Cloke and Red for next year - obviously wish them all the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back