Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How?

Has he not been playing there in the 2's?
On my viewing plays higher and not like a genuine key defender at all. Will see how he develops but I don't think he's shown much scope to lock down a key defensive post - intercepting gun, maybe.

On my viewing plays higher and not like a genuine key defender at all. Will see how he develops but I don't think he's shown much scope to lock down a key defensive post - intercepting gun, maybe.

Agree, currently plays more like a HB than a FB or CHB. He’s painfully skinny for a key position role and will take multiple pre-seasons to add the size he needs, if ever.

Let's say we end up with Watson, Coffield, and Harmes.

Rough round 1 2024:
FB: Coffield - Jones - Richards
HB: Dale - O'Donnell - Johannisen

C: Smith - Bontempelli - Poulter

HF: West - Naughton - Weightman
FF: Watson - JUH - Lobb

R: English - Liberatore - Treloar

I: Harmes - Macrae - Daniel - Williams
S: Vandermeer

E: Darcy - Scott - Duryea - Gardner

The wings are still the spot of most concern for me (at least currently - my most pressing worry overall is the future midfield). Would love to pick a solid citizen up through trade or state leagues just to give us more options there.

I'm so sick of the "he's a required player" rubbish with Adams and Schulz. Both clubs managed by campaigners.

Of course he is a required player. He's on your team signed to a contract. Say you'll hold him to the contract up front and tell the player and the agent they can move when the contract is over.

It was already a circus, but Collingwood has made the whole thing worse by being able to wriggle out of contracts at club level. Players have always believed they can go the other way too.

I can't think of a single part of the league that Collingwood have made better by existing the past 15 years.

Rough round 1 2024:

The wings are still the spot of most concern for me (at least currently - my most pressing worry overall is the future midfield). Would love to pick a solid citizen up through trade or state leagues just to give us more options there.
Could Dan Mckenzie fill a need on a wing? Has been really unlucky with injury, but when he gets on the park seems to be a decent winger.

Rough round 1 2024:

That teams two solid wings and a CHB away from being a bloody good side. JOD could potentially be that CHB, the wings are ****ed though. I dunno why we’re finding it so hard to get competent wingers 😂

With Coffield coming in and Cleary next in line I’d be tempted to try Dale there, he has the right attributes I think he’d really suit it, great kick & speed, doesn’t tend to get sucked into the contest so I’m hopeful he can hold his width well - not sure on whether he has the tank or intensity to gut run all day but only one way to find out.

There’s also Gallagher & Bedendo who could possibly step up through preseason.

Could Dan Mckenzie fill a need on a wing? Has been really unlucky with injury, but when he gets on the park seems to be a decent winger.
Haven't seen much of him but is the kinda option we should be looking at, I think.

That teams two solid wings and a CHB away from being a bloody good side. JOD could potentially be that CHB, the wings are ****ed though. I dunno why we’re finding it so hard to get competent wingers 😂

With Coffield coming in and Cleary next in line I’d be tempted to try Dale there, he has the right attributes I think he’d really suit it, great kick & speed, doesn’t tend to get sucked into the contest so I’m hopeful he can hold his width well - not sure on whether he has the tank or intensity to gut run all day but only one way to find out.

There’s also Gallagher & Bedendo who could possibly step up through preseason.
IMO the running demands we place on our wings are just extraordinary and it really limits the pool of who can play there. I don't see how Dale can play wing without completely nullifying his greatest strengths.

Gallagher and Bedendo (he's still unsigned though, right?) are the two I had in mind, too. Are there any decent state league options around lateish draft?

Ridiculous no compo announced yet for McKay or Gresham. Obviously AFL is telling Roos/Saints what the compo is coming back as an allowing Essendon to massage the contracts to trigger certain outcomes.

Rough round 1 2024:

I’m playing Treloar full time wing next year. Might be a chance to prolong his career.

Also think we should play Darcy at full back. His too good to play reserves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haven't seen much of him but is the kinda option we should be looking at, I think.

IMO the running demands we place on our wings are just extraordinary and it really limits the pool of who can play there. I don't see how Dale can play wing without completely nullifying his greatest strengths.

Gallagher and Bedendo (he's still unsigned though, right?) are the two I had in mind, too. Are there any decent state league options around lateish draft?
I think we may move Bedendo to rookie list depending on list spots etc, surely he gets another year though.

I’m not sure on state league options but are they going to be an upgrade on what we’ve got anyway? I think we’ve now got plenty of options in Poulter, Baker, Scott, Williams etc but we’re lacking in quality, so to be honest I’m not overly interested in bringing in more budget wing options unless they’re a genuine upgrade on what we’ve got.

I’d still have some interest in Billings if we think he can be an upgrade on a wing.

Highly doubt you or anyone else on this thread be saying FA Compo should be eliminated if we were on the receiving end of it.
And again you'd be wrong FA swings and roundabouts you win some you lose some want to get value trade them the year before

Highly doubt you or anyone else on this thread be saying FA Compo should be eliminated if we were on the receiving end of it.
If we’re keeping trading for non-FAs then it makes no sense you can get an FA for nothing and with no compo to the other party one year, when it might have cost two first rounders any other year.

I think the real issue is the side acquiring doesn’t have to give up anything. They should get docked draft points if they won’t, say, trade a player, rather than a pick emerge from thin air.

McKay has only played a full season once in his 7 years of playing.

Even worse he isn’t even that good really. This makes Pick 3 for Daniher look justified. At least he can play when he wants to.

I forgot you are always right my apologies lol
Seeing as you were questioning my opinion yes I have a feeling I would be always right on knowing what my own opinion is,

Franklin Lynch and Goddard are the only top line players in 10 years to leave.

For something that happens once in 3 years I am fine with clubs like Melbourne and North not getting top 3 picks for mediocre players such as Frawaley or McKay

It's not news that FA compo is utterly ****ed and ripe for manipulation. This is just another example of it, straight into the pocket of the proud shinboners who've spent the better part of the season begging for more hand outs and making up reasons as to why their s**tstain of a football club is so hard done by as they pocket significant overs on compo for a bloke who can barely get on the park, alongside a bounty of free draft picks which still aren't good enough for them.

When you have a system where both clubs are jumping at the chance to transact because the benefits so far outweigh the downside, you know its cooked - and the upside is only possible by penalising 16 other clubs who aren't involved.

What an absolute joke . Pick 3 for an average - good player.

AFL should make all teams play the kangas with 17 on the field & give them a handicap of a 30 point lead .

By this metric if the Bont should leave via free agency we’d get the number 1 pick for the next five years , yeah na?

I'm hearing pick 3 + future 1st from Hawks is on the table for Smith...
If that's what they're offering, we'd be dumb not to consider it.
If we were to do that trade with Hawthorn I'd look to trade pick 3 or 4 to Essendon who are supposedly keen on Duursma for their pick 8 and future first.
Would feel better getting Watson plus a genuine winger like Wilson and a shot at a high end mid next year rather than 2 forwards in Watson and Duursma which is what we'd likely be left with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back