Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what is our prediction:

Clubs will smell some blood and come hard At Naughton, English and Smith and knowing the turds at Essendope let’s assume they go after Marra also. Where we sit today - looks like all will stay which will be great for us but given they are contracted it should be that way. No-one would be surprised if Smith asked for a trade - the young fella is not at his best - but hopefully he sees a good preseason with none of the previous crap as what he needs. Next year will be much harder so it is the contract extensions that matter. Any other club would have then all signed for long periods if they could.

Williams is quiet, uncontracted and not playing that well - is he RFA or UFA? He won’t attract a lot but I bet a club looking for a HBF will offer him an ability to play where he has played best. Unfortunately for him Red is just better for us, we also have Crozier and Cleary coming through. He must be at risk and we can’t pay too much to keep him given he is just middling for us. Would be a good for for a few clubs.

West may be the biggest loss this season. He is not contracted and has been left out of the side - obvious he has the ability - only scratching the surface of his potential. This year is effectively the first year he has been given an extended run (sone good games last year) and with Father Time catching Libba - he is critical to our future. I hope we back him.

Sweet is most obvious - at West Coast he plays most weeks. Probably Swans also and would suit their contested style. I don’t want to lose him but only playing by injury and the maybe then falling behind Lobb and Darcy is not appealing.

Crozier - would be expected to leave - he has ability and won’t play much here. TOB - I think is contracted for next year but we would probably drive him to another club.

McComb probably delisted but would swap for Sullivan if that can be pulled off. Chatfield is great but not a need - his marking is good but who goes out for him.

Hannan is a favourite of Bevos but probably time to move on - I had expected he would play wing where we have a need and his manic play may work but this was not tried. HBF experiment was a disaster.

I hope we keep McLean (backup for Libba), Raak and Khamis (still don’t have that third medium-tall forward or back) and McNeil (Prefer Artie in same role and could be passed by Charlie Gardiner though and hasn’t shown he can impact so could let him go). Bedendo on talent and need should be retained.

Roarke - like McLean is good enough and he has shown that in big games his ceiling is well above what many thought - I like him but would certainly be a risk.

Expect 4 to come in by draft - hopefully

Pick 10-14
Pick 17-21
Croft
Pick 33

If Croft is bid before 21 as is likely then not sure how it works out. Also is we are pushed back with academies - do we still get the same points or are our points reduced.

Our future list looks strong forward, OK back but weak on Mids - with only Smith, West and García looking good - that is a least 3 players short. So hopefully at least 2 of the 4 drafted are Mids. A big one and a fast one.

Will likely attempt to also trade/UFA in a wing, ruck and KPD (though seems 10 clubs are looking for same KPD). If not may go further in draft to get a roughy
Williams wasn't moved off the half backline for any other reason other than woeful form there we've need his type for 2 years and he simply isn't good enough think the pool for him will be very very small and would prefer we only offer him 2 years however the floated 3 isn't the worst,

West won't leave now he has been playing more consistently and his role has started evolving,

Sweet will probably leave however he won't be a walk up at West Coast Williams has been very good for them this year Sydney he is more of a chance given how poor Ladhams is (Thank god we didn't pay a first rounder for him)

The rest are all easy to delist bar Bedendo and possibly Raak

Williams wasn't moved off the half backline for any other reason other than woeful form there we've need his type for 2 years and he simply isn't good enough think the pool for him will be very very small and would prefer we only offer him 2 years however the floated 3 isn't the worst,

West won't leave now he has been playing more consistently and his role has started evolving,

Sweet will probably leave however he won't be a walk up at West Coast Williams has been very good for them this year Sydney he is more of a chance given how poor Ladhams is (Thank god we didn't pay a first rounder for him)

The rest are all easy to delist bar Bedendo and possibly Raak
Port & Sydney going hard for Grundy - I'd imagine Sweet is target no 2 for whichever team misses out on Grundy.
We're going to have to rookie a mature ruckman. I'd hope Downie from Williamstown feels mentally refreshed and ready to enter the system again as he'd be my first pick

Port & Sydney going hard for Grundy - I'd imagine Sweet is target no 2 for whichever team misses out on Grundy.
We're going to have to rookie a mature ruckman. I'd hope Downie from Williamstown feels mentally refreshed and ready to enter the system again as he'd be my first pick
You'd think they are the more likely of the 2 now,

Having watched a few Eagles games Williams is definitely one of the more improved players in the comp and is worth investing in long term which makes Sweet more or less redundant for them

Baz’ management have given us a fright into probably playing him more in the middle next year. That’s better for his own career. They also know if he nominates a team that can’t satisfy us in a trade it’s going to be an arduous offseason and 2024 and probably not the best for his mental health. They just saw that we got bent over with Dunkley because he was out of contract - much better to wait the year. We should also hopefully draft one or two very talented mids but at present it would be insane to trade him considering our midfield profile.

I’ll believe Baz wants to be here when he signs. I don’t buy that he was sick. Hope we keep him.
It's probably good for us too. If Baz can't become an effective full time midfielder next season in his 6th year at 23 years old, then I have doubt he's the man for us in the guts moving forward.

It's up to the club and himself to set it up for success. I don't think either party made it easy for themselves in 2024.

As much as he hasn’t done much in his career I’m still trying to get denver grainger-barras. He was compared to Naughton in the draft. I’d much rather go him over another year of Obrien.

Jones, JOD and potentially sounds a lot better than what we role with atm.
With JOD & Buss developing, I'm not sure we'd want to spend the significant draft capital that DGB would cost. We could probably just draft Ollie Murphy for the same draft pick (or even hope O'Sullivan slides).

If there is a lockdown small defender out there, I'm all ears. I hope we're the reason Chatfield has a state draft invite.

Anecdotally, I feel Caro gets almost every major call wrong. Is there an online fact checker troll that monitors her claims vs outcomes?

She said Adam Simpson was going to get sacked a few weeks ago and was confirmed yesterday he will coach next year, so there's one.

Here you go lads, great public forum to ask Baz if his leaving or not.

(Not that I'm advocating for anyone to go and actually do this, seems to be a weird thing to do, 1:1 fan engagement of a club you want to leave, specially the day after your exit interview)

How does Libba not get top billing?

Come and meet Robin and Batman

Anecdotally, I feel Caro gets almost every major call wrong. Is there an online fact checker troll that monitors her claims vs outcomes?
To be fair. She did get the Hardwick to Gold Coast right and first.

To be extra fair. She did have the inside rail on the info after Hardwick used her as his stalking horse when he had her publicly undermine Dew.

The rest of the time she's just an unaccountable hack with her own or other peoples axe to grind who isn't ever called to account for the things she gets wrong.

To be extra double fair. Nobody in AFLMedia is ever called to account. Unless of course they get caught on a hot mike disparaging a colleague. But of course they are only ever a few months away from being rehabilitated and welcomed back into that wretched hive of scum and villainy.

To be fair. She did get the Hardwick to Gold Coast right and first.

To be extra fair. She did have the inside rail on the info after Hardwick used her as his stalking horse when he had her publicly undermine Dew.

The rest of the time she's just an unaccountable hack with her own or other peoples axe to grind who isn't ever called to account for the things she gets wrong.
For "football's first lady", she actually talks very little football.

Most of her "journalism" is backroom politics, coach baiting and the grinding of axes.

What a great way to spend your working life!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For "football's first lady", she actually talks very little football.

Most of her "journalism" is backroom politics, coach baiting and the grinding of axes.

What a great way to spend your working life!
I can't throw stones in that regard.

Considering how much time I waste in here instead of doing my actual work.

On one hand I'm relieved Baz is staying.
On the other I'm not sure I can take another year of Next Waiting taking pot shots at him and detailing his unhealthy obsession with Butters without losing what's left of my mind.

Think it speaks volumes about Baz that he would get his manager to relay that he is staying at the club for next year at least.

Allows all the innuendo and uncertainty for the club to be put to rest for now and allows them to plan.

Could him relaying this be an indication that Bev is staying? I think Bev and Baz share a close relationship.

If Bev is staying I would almost consider telling him to take a really good break longer than usual and allow Sammy do list decisions.

Dogs won't have enough capital to get Liam Henry

Hawks offering good money and picks for freo

Dogs are hoping to trade future picks for players, Kai Lohmann is weighing up his options with a two year extensions by lions

Article regarding Bailey Smith

Dogs are hoping to trade future picks for players, Kai Lohmann is weighing up his options with a two year extensions by lions
That's a win. I'm not sure what all the fuss is about to be honest. Invest more time into Arty and we have a similar player.

Missing Henry but getting Lohmann for future picks would make me very very happy
Ashcroft mk 2 next year due to the Lions so future picks may hold some attraction for them.

Great player management 101.

Drum up interest in your client, gauge interest, gives him a fresh year in 2024 to lift his game where his value will be sky high knowing that he will be out of contract.

The law of the worst thing than being talked about, is not being talked about.
Just trade Baz while he we don’t get 10 cents on the dollar when he’s uncontracted. Same as Naughton. I won’t be upset if we make some huge changes

That's a win. I'm not sure what all the fuss is about to be honest. Invest more time into Arty and we have a similar player.
Although I like Arty, they are nothing alike. Jones hasn't played any footy on the wing at AFL level and hasn't shown he can do it at the lower level either so it's incredibly disingenuous to Henry.

It's not the end of the world that we won't be getting Henry but it's still disappointing. The wing is still a major issue for us and we simply can't be heading into 2024 with the same options we had this season.

Just trade Baz while he we don’t get 10 cents on the dollar when he’s uncontracted. Same as Naughton. I won’t be upset if we make some huge changes

I don’t think we have the talent to spare to trade any of these players out to be honest. But not getting a maximum return on outgoing players has been a huge problem for us.

Stringer, Dunkley and Hunter combined netted us one very late first rounder and a few seconds. That’s for a leading goal kicker and two B&F winners, all traded during their primes. The best we got from Dahlhaus, Roughead, Cordy, Lipinski and Young going was a third rounder for Lipinski.

If we’re going to move blokes on anyway be decisive and do it while they have value and not once they’re circling the bargain bin or we have little trade leverage.

I don’t think we have the talent to spare to trade any of these players out to be honest. But not getting a maximum return on outgoing players has been a huge problem for us.

Stringer, Dunkley and Hunter combined netted us one very late first rounder and a few seconds. That’s for a leading goal kicker and two B&F winners, all traded during their primes. The best we got from Dahlhaus, Roughead, Cordy, Lipinski and Young going was a third rounder for Lipinski.

If we’re going to move blokes on anyway be decisive and do it while they have value and not once they’re circling the bargain bin or we have little trade leverage.
Agree 100%. Time to be ruthless

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back