Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Am I right that there has only been 2 completed trades this week and only 1 more official nomination to be traded (today) in at least the last 3 days?

May as well just call this the free agency window and the AFL should seriously look to make “trade week” exactly that, 1 week max. It’s the same every year, the last couple of days is where everything happens.

It’s a waste of time considering player agents work around the clock. As we know, Smith’s departure to cotton on FC has been in the pipeline for 18 months, yet the club can’t come prepared with an appropriate offer on morning 1?

It’s like the AFL want to increase engagement, but it’s been as boring as bat shit this week.

I think a lot is going to depend on what Oliver does to be honest, not from a picks point of view but just looking at their list.

They'll struggle to fit all of Dangerfield, Holmes, Smith, Oliver, Bruhn, Bowes and Clark (I'm sure I'm missing some) into their regular midfield rotations so it may be an opportunity to squeeze out one of the fringe midfielders with a pick for Smith.

I suspect Geelong wouldn't want to trade Clark but he has been on the list now for 2 seasons and whilst he played 15 games this year, he was a sub in nearly a third of them, those spots aren't going to be any easier to claim.
I wouldnt worry too much about the bolded. With Smith and Oliver, theyd have 5 genuine mids which given Danger's age seems about right.

Am I right that there has only been 2 completed trades this week and only 1 more official nomination to be traded (today) in at least the last 3 days?

May as well just call this the free agency window and the AFL should seriously look to make “trade week” exactly that, 1 week max. It’s the same every year, the last couple of days is where everything happens.

It’s a waste of time considering player agents work around the clock. As we know, Smith’s departure to cotton on FC has been in the pipeline for 18 months, yet the club can’t come prepared with an appropriate offer on morning 1?

It’s like the AFL want to increase engagement, but it’s been as boring as bat shit this week.
I actually think it needs to go one of two directions.

Make it a 48 hour thing, or make it a month long. Making it shorter means you get a lot of people invested in the 2 days it's on, making it longer means there's no expectation that things should actually happen each day (as is the expectation now).

AFL going to look into reports Oliver has cleaned out his locker and trying to force a trade to Geelong? This trade period is starting to not just stink but reek.
Hopefully this and Smith starts to shine a light on the whole trading fiasco.

Yep the 2 trades 32 year old Jack Darling and Alex Neal-Bullen getting traded for Melbournes own pick

Re Smith - the big picture is he wants out. So I presume we want to move him on.

At Geelong and given their age profile he can be a top mid immediately and is a clear need. They also have given Dangerfield - who was top 3 in the comp when he came from Adelaide a heap of support to make Joey out of footy with adds etc and would be saying they can do the same.

They would have sold him that At the Dogs this will also be the case but perhaps later - and five years+ before he is The Marquee player. Bont will play mid at least till 33/34, Red has passed him, Sanders is coming. And even for he was not picked - if that were Bont, Trelor, Libba or Red they would have probably been picked. Not saying this is true but more the narrative Geelong would run and have Smith believe.

There are a few scenarios

1. What we want - 17 and F1

2. Likely deal 17 and F2

3. What Cats offering - 17 only

4. Alt - 17 and a player

5. Alt - 17 and F1 with us sending back our F2

6. We send him to draft and get nothing? I don’t think we can match?

The latter seems stupid given 17 will be a decent young player - probably the equivalent of a number 10 in recent years and maybe an F2 but it also means that we won’t be ripped off by clubs or have him immediately go to a team we are currently competing with for finals - still might get there but if I am Richmond, Essendon, StKilda, Melbourne - I would be salivating at the idea of getting him in.

The argument that it forces others to deal with us differently would appear weak given we stood up re Dunkley Essendon and Brisbane and now Geelong will behave exactly the same.

My heart says send him the draft my brain says take 17 and a F2 and accept that we have either not been able to convince a good player to stay or don’t want a player who isn’t all-in for our culture and thinks he is better than everyone else.

Why does it matter that Jack is overseas?

Is St. Kilda expecting him to be in the meeting room and begging Sam Power to leave?
Can't do a medical.
It saved us once on wasting pick 11 on Matthew Lobbe who was in Vietnam during trade week'.

Re Smith - the big picture is he wants out. So I presume we want to move him on.

At Geelong and given their age profile he can be a top mid immediately and is a clear need. They also have given Dangerfield - who was top 3 in the comp when he came from Adelaide a heap of support to make Joey out of footy with adds etc and would be saying they can do the same.

They would have sold him that At the Dogs this will also be the case but perhaps later - and five years+ before he is The Marquee player. Bont will play mid at least till 33/34, Red has passed him, Sanders is coming. And even for he was not picked - if that were Bont, Trelor, Libba or Red they would have probably been picked. Not saying this is true but more the narrative Geelong would run and have Smith believe.

2. Likely deal 17 and F2

4. Alt - 17 and a player

The latter seems stupid given 17 will be a decent young player - probably the equivalent of a number 10 in recent years and maybe an F2 but it also means that we won’t be ripped off by clubs or have him immediately go to a team we are currently competing with for finals - still might get there but if I am Richmond, Essendon, StKilda, Melbourne - I would be salivating at the idea of getting him in.

The argument that it forces others to deal with us differently would appear weak given we stood up re Dunkley Essendon and Brisbane and now Geelong will behave exactly the same.

My heart says send him the draft my brain says take 17 and a F2 and accept that we have either not been able to convince a good player to stay or don’t want a player who isn’t all-in for our culture and thinks he is better than everyone else.
God you're going to be disappointed. 17 and F2 (or equivalent) is absolute best case scenario.

I see all the talk about us getting their current pick 17.

I rather have the Cats give us next years first. We can use it to move back in this year, to a better position. This years first will slip into the 20s, equivalent to an early second round pick. I don't think next years first will be as high.

I say this every year but trading period is my least favourite time on the AFL calendar. Nine days of waffle, discussion on scenarios that never eventuate and other dross. Then a single day when everything happens.
A movie I like is Trading Day. The AFL can learn a lot from this movie and they don’t even have to watch it. The “ learning” is in the title. Not period, not days not even ad nauseum but “day”. The trades will still get done I promise. And we will be spared the tedium, the pontifications of the journalist and rival club posters and the lies from club officials.
Certainly not trying to be picky, but I assume you mean "Draft Day"? Kevin Costner, Jennifer Garner (yummy), Dennis Leary?

This gets a run once every 6 months or so in our house, just a nice easy, sports-related watch. Every OTHER 6 months is Moneyball. :cool:

2. Likely deal 17 and F2

4. Alt - 17 and a player

Personally, I hope we are pushing for SDK + Geelong F2 for Smith & Dogs F1

Geelong can use their first this year for Oliver & his $900k “pay cut” just to get there

Everyone’s happy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see all the talk about us getting their current pick 17.

I rather have the Cats give us next years first. We can use it to move back in this year, to a better position. This years first will slip into the 20s, equivalent to an early second round pick. I don't think next years first will be as high.

Who is going to want Geelong’s future first instead of a first round pick in a strong draft.

Basically that’s just delaying development by a season for a pick in what seemingly will be a draft (2025) with less depth.

Maybe Essendon because they are forced to, but will want a weaker teams pick. Not Geelong with Smith and potentially Oliver added to the mix.

Certainly not trying to be picky, but I assume you mean "Draft Day"? Kevin Costner, Jennifer Garner (yummy), Dennis Leary?

This gets a run once every 6 months or so in our house, just a nice easy, sports-related watch. Every OTHER 6 months is Moneyball. :cool:
You are correct. I did mean Draft Day. Kind of still relevant . As well as dragging out the trade period the AFL also conducts the draft over 2 days rather than a single day. It’s just the ADLs way

That’s an horrific deal for us.

Horrific is no exaggeration at all!

• SDK is worth more in a trade than Smith
  • SDK gives us a 10-year KPD
  • Smith has effectively not contributed for 2+ seasons. Would add something if he stayed, but we have players ahead of him & others move past him.
  • We would back ourselves in that our F1 would be around pick 15 next year & Geelong’s F2 late 20’s, or better if they drop off quicker than expected
-KPD’s don’t grow on trees and you need to take the opportunity when they present themselves, or try and make the opportunity.

Now you’ve got a strong history of bad takes, but how is that “horrific”?

• Smith has effectively not contributed for 2+ seasons. Would add something if he stayed, but we have players ahead of him & others move past him.
  • We would back ourselves in that our F1 would be around pick 15 next year & Geelong’s F2 late 20’s, or better if they drop off quicker than expected
-KPD’s don’t grow on trees and you need to take the opportunity when they present themselves, or try and make the opportunity.

SDK is not worth more in a trade or expected to be a better player than Smith FFS. The very difference in contract payment amounts - that Smith will be getting paid more - is evidence of that.

The pendulum has swung too much the other way with Smith. He was considered a top 50 player in the league at virtually any given point in time from late 2021 to early 2023. He remains young. There is an expectation that through to his on-field efforts and fitness in a game that will always involve value through hard running one way or another over the next 10 years that Smith will still provide some value.

Doesn’t matter how in depth you go explaining a steaming pile of shit, it’s still a steaming pile of shit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back