Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Personally, I hope we are pushing for SDK + Geelong F2 for Smith & Dogs F1

Geelong can use their first this year for Oliver & his $900k “pay cut” just to get there

Everyone’s happy
Umm no they aren't. I won't be happy for one! No way I want to lose our F1 as well as Smith for SDK

I see all the talk about us getting their current pick 17.

I rather have the Cats give us next years first. We can use it to move back in this year, to a better position. This years first will slip into the 20s, equivalent to an early second round pick. I don't think next years first will be as high.
Next years first is definitely more valuable, very little room to move backwards, plenty of potential movement up.

I could stomach their future first plus a early-mid 2nd this year.

SDK is not worth more in a trade or expected to be a better player than Smith FFS. The very difference in contract payment amounts - that Smith will be getting paid more - is evidence of that.

The pendulum has swung too much the other way with Smith. He was considered a top 50 player in the league at virtually any given point in time from late 2021 to early 2023. He remains young. There is an expectation that through to his on-field efforts and fitness in a game that will always involve value through hard running one way or another over the next 10 years that Smith will still provide some value.

Smith is out of contract, SDK isn’t.

But I’ll leave it there as nobody wants a mature discussion today.

“FFS”.

I see all the talk about us getting their current pick 17.

I rather have the Cats give us next years first. We can use it to move back in this year, to a better position. This years first will slip into the 20s, equivalent to an early second round pick. I don't think next years first will be as high.

What if next year's draft is like 2022? I'm not confident it's going to be a good draft. We may get a higher pick, but if it's a crap draft we may not be better off.
If we end up with a pick in the 20's this year, I'm confident we'll get a good player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The fact they traded future 1 and 2 means they literally have just this year's pick to deal with, plus perhaps a player. Does put them in a pickle.
Pick 12 and 14 for Houston and future second rounder back?
Carlton have said they rate the draft so can’t see them giving up pick 12 and 14 for Houston

Bit of risk involved in that trade for Carlton , could finish outside of the 8 next year if the end of this years anything to go off
They'll offer it as part of a package for Houston first.
Will only take it to draft if Houston goes to Collingwood

happy time GIF

Carlton should take the picks to the draft
They want to take pick 12 to draft. I expect 14 + F1 with something coming back is their next pitch to Port.

Collingwood desperate for GC's first rounder for their Houston bid.

They want to take pick 12 to draft. I expect 14 + F1 with something coming back is their next pitch to Port.

Collingwood desperate for GC's first rounder for their Houston bid.
They traded out their F1 to get 14.

Since when can you trade both F1 and F2?
They will have to bring one in.

Since when can you trade both F1 and F2?

AFL can grant exceptions. All deals are signed off by the AFL.

Come on, we all know EVERY AFL rule, on and off field, is rubbery in its implementation. They literally break their own rules on an annual basis between new interpretations of on field adjudication, MRO application, draft rules, AFLW expansion, etc, etc, etc.

The exception would be AFL sticking to a rule with a hard and fast application (and across more than one season!).

Hawthorns pick 14 would be pushed out to 16 at least with Kako and Ashcroft (I assume there are others?).

Maybe West Coast asked them to do this deal as they would rather take the punt on Hawthorn (or Carlton) being inferior than that pick in 2025? Otherwise yeah strange one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back