Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we'll miss Macrae more than many realise.

While his contribution this season wasn't his up to his previous high output, he was a very solid and reliable contributor throughout the season.
That’s why I’d prefer to keep him over Daniel

It benefits the competition as a whole because it reminds every club of the danger of a player going to the national draft.
But the saints won't pick him, they will just leverage that pick on draft night to threaten Geelong to trade up and fleece them, they ironically have more leverage than us and he's our player!

Also, Connors won't let it happen, its draft tampering for sure but the AFL integrity unit only gives a toss about explaining why an umpire gave certain free kicks, not actual fraud.

But the saints won't pick him, they will just leverage that pick on draft night to threaten Geelong to trade up and fleece them, they ironically have more leverage than us and he's our player!

Also, Connors won't let it happen, its draft tampering for sure but the AFL integrity unit only gives a toss about explaining why umpired gave certain free kicks, not actual fraud.
I agree with you - I'm just working with your hypothetical where if Saints pick him up - that's what the benefit is.

I agree with you - I'm just working with your hypothetical where if Saints pick him up - that's what the benefit is.
For sure, not arguing. It's just the state of play. For all the crap Geelong have been spouting this is mainly the Dogs fault, we really should have looked to offload him last year. We seem to leave contracts very late in comparison to other clubs, this had happened twice in 3 years for high value players, in hindsight we should have pushed Dunkley out earlier if he didn't want to sign (i do realise that we were dealing with Essendon and they were offering us nothing. but clearly Dunkley didn't care much on where he went as he ended up in QLD) and same with Smith.

To strengthen our hand in future - but yeah doubt that would work anyway

All our competitors in the 8 and pushing ahead to gain better draft capital and also bring in talent from other clubs to improve their lists.

Can someone explain what our plan has been so far? Where is our improvement going to be coming from by sitting on our hands and pushing depth like Macrae out and losing Baz?
We spent this years capital last year so that we could get a developing Croft and Sanders in. Yes it’s frustrating we can’t do much this year but the cats are being total arse-hats and without proper Smith compensation we don’t have much more room to move. I think the plan is internal development, freeing up cap room and hitting the draft. It’s not sexy, it’s not what you want to hear but it’s probably sensible.

For sure, not arguing. It's just the state of play. For all the crap Geelong have been spouting this is mainly the Dogs fault, we really should have looked to offload him last year. We seem to leave contracts very late in comparison to other clubs, this had happened twice in 3 years for high value players, in hindsight we should have pushed Dunkley out earlier if he didn't want to sign (i do realise that we were dealing with Essendon and they were offering us nothing. but clearly Dunkley didn't care much on where he went as he ended up in QLD) and same with Smith.
Devils advocate though.

If a fully fit Bailey Smith plays in our side in 2024, I believe we get 1 more win and make top 4, then from there who knows. We kept Josh Dunkley the extra year and made a grand final.

Sure, it hurts us at trade and draft time but I don't have an issue with the club prioritising team over what we could potentially trade or draft.

Devils advocate though.

If a fully fit Bailey Smith plays in our side in 2024, I believe we get 1 more win and make top 4, then from there who knows. We kept Josh Dunkley the extra year and made a grand final.

Sure, it hurts us at trade and draft time but I don't have an issue with the club prioritising team over what we could potentially trade or draft.
Wouldn’t matter, we’d still have a week break before finals and lose all momentum as we are mental cases that have come to hate the bye.

If we can snag the following it wouldn't be the worst

17 and a F2 for Smith
25 for Daniel (still don't think that gets done but that would be the too good to refuse offer, especially if they pay all of his contract)
27 for Macrae (I think they want something back, but I wouldn't be doing anything more, unless they pay all his contract, maybe a F3 going back if that was the case)

That leaves us with 17, 25, 27, 35, 48 this year. then We can either try and trade up with our F1 and the 2nd rounders, make a play for O'Halloran, or we go to the draft with 4 decent picks in a supposedly great draft with 2.5m off our wage bill and make sure we front load Richards and Bont. If that all plays out I think it's not that bad.

I thought the signs were there with Smith last year. Personally I would’ve offloaded him if the reported offers from the Hawks were true.

Sometimes if you suggest trading a player a bit too early on here you get shot down, but that’s the nature of discussion and conflicting thoughts.

Devils advocate though.

Absolutely, its just frustrating that we leave those deals to the last min. We scrambled a lot this year with English and JUH too, sure it could be agent led. But i don't see the so-called big clubs waiting this long most of the time.

My info is that we were prepared to trade Smith 12 months ago but he insisted on staying.

We need young talent desperately.

Get as many top 40 picks this year, smash the draft, hope one or two of them have decent impact first year (more than possible), develop existing list including youngsters picked over last year or two, and there’s no reason we can’t improve again from last year.

Need to remember, Darcy, JUH, JOD, Busslinger are all trending upwards so should see strong improvement across key lines. Fingers crossed Sanders can be added to that list. Possibly Croft also.

I’m absolutely against spending too much draft capital on anything that isn’t elite level lis improvement. Ok with parting with late picks for depth improvement.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t doubt it….ive heard that already….if true we are so much better without him. If he’s that arrogant and dumb then he fails the no dickhead test.
Only now hw fails the no dickhead test???

From what I have heard, on top of what has been reported which is even worse than what I heard failed that some time ago at the dogs

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

How do we offload a contracted player that does not want be off loaded exactly???

How do we offload a contracted player that does not want be off loaded exactly???

From my understanding both of them were exploring routes out so they were both going to entertain that, we just needed to maximise what we could do, the news that Smith didn't want to go last year is conflicting, some have heard he wanted to stay, some said he wanted to go. either way he stayed, got injured and now we are in a hole. Dunkley absolutely wanted to go. We just got the misfortune of dealing with Dodo....

Some people getting a bit worked up here. Let Sam Power do what he can - we'll retrieve the Smith situation somehow. It's outside either club's interests for Smith to go to the draft, even if we use the threat for leverage. Mediation might be a possibility.

From my understanding both of them were exploring routes out so they were both going to entertain that, we just needed to maximise what we could do, the news that Smith didn't want to go last year is conflicting, some have heard he wanted to stay, some said he wanted to go. either way he stayed, got injured and now we are in a hole. Dunkley absolutely wanted to go. We just got the misfortune of dealing with Dodo....
We did the right thing holding onto Dunkley .. not only from a trade result perspective with Dodo not playing ball but also how that ended up on field. Dunkley was an ultra professional.

Smith is just a dickhead

The point here is none of us knows for certain what took place last year - so to blame the Bulldogs and absolve Geelong for the Smith impasse is a bridge too far for me.

The point here is none of us knows for certain what took place last year - so to blame the Bulldogs and absolve Geelong for the Smith impasse is a bridge too far for me.
I'm not saying Geelong aren't taking the piss, i just don't think we did enough to make sure this was resolved earlier, happens way too often for my liking. It's like we know we are expected to bend over, so we just do.

I'm not saying Geelong aren't taking the piss, i just don't think we did enough to make sure this was resolved earlier, happens way too often for my liking. It's like we know we are expected to bend over, so we just do.
In your opinion, though there is little evidence of this actually occurring unless your opinion on players values is significantly higher than others

There is a not-insignificant proportion of the supporter base who default to assuming we’ve stuffed up.

We’ve previously managed to extract players like Bruce, Keath and Treloar relatively cheaply while being opportunistic. Now Geelong are doing it to us.

We should try to extract maximum value but I don’t blame the club for the situation we are in with him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back