Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

The assumption by the media that the Dogs as a club wouldn't be supporting Smith's mental health or doing right by him in that context is what irks me though

The media's weaponising of mental health to criticise our club is just as morally bankrupt as two sides of the same coin as people who triviliase mental ill-health, too.
Thats standard typical media and non-bulldog commentary. Apparently we're the villains in this whole thing. Smith checked out of the club 12, possibly 18 months ago. The club supported him as best as it possibly could, gave him a mid year coast off in the European summer. But now we're meant to eat a shit sandwich from Geelong because if we don't, we aren't looking after Smith's mental health? Hence I said, fake narrative.

Shoot me dead.

all this trade week we've heard absolutely zero about the apparent negotations between Geelong and the Bulldogs. We just know Geelong is sticking to pick 17 and the Dogs want "something more". All the media hyping this as going to the ultimate minute, or maybe the draft...

And Smith's manager hasn't had shed a single tear to the media about how unfair everything is?

Has all the hallmarks of a deal that is already agreed and is being dragged out for the spectacle.

It's the marquee trade that the entire 10 days has been built and sold on.

The only thing that is remotely close is the Houston trade and as good a player as he is. He doesn't exactly have the profile that Bailey Smith has. And just about every other trade of note was a done deal in advance or a fringe palooka hardly worth talking about.

So, of course Smiths trade is going to be dragged out until the last minute.

I don't doubt for a minute that the ultimate outcome when announced at 7.30 is one that has been agreed upon well in advance.

The entire 10 days is a sham.

But everyone turned a blind eye with Tom Boyd when he had a brawl with Cordy and hounded him into retirement.... the narrative never suits the Dogs does it?

The assumption by the media that the Dogs as a club wouldn't be supporting Smith's mental health or doing right by him in that context is what irks me though

The media's weaponising of mental health to criticise our club is just as morally bankrupt as two sides of the same coin as people who triviliase mental ill-health, too.
The media are filthy, blood-sucking, ambulance-chasing pieces of shit, granted.

We don't need to continue to perpetuate harmful stereotypes in response, though. We can be and do better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick trading continues all the way up to and during the draft. No reason we can't trade back in ahead of Geelong and pick him up ourselves.
Trading back in to take Smith seems like an infinitely worse result than just letting him go for unders tbh (or letting him walk to draft and getting nothing).

Bailey Smith is a culturally stain on our club. Management and the playing group will be glad to see the back of him after the way he's carried on this year. The last thing we'd look to do is draft him back

Is there a cut-off of when Bailey can accept our 2 year deal? Ie is he delisted at 7.30 tonight or can he choose to sign in say a weeks time?
It's not actually clear in the rules.

If he has already nominated for the draft before 31st of October, which is the day that his contract is expiring at the Dogs (though he is on annual leave now), than he is considered to have delisted himself.

Draft nominations close 13 November.

I'm unsure if he doesn't nominate for the draft until then whether we can re-sign him between 1 and 13 November, even though he's ceased to have been a Bulldogs player in that period.

One would assume if he accepts our deal he would have before 31st of October (even if he could accept it in November, which I'm unsure that he can), because in that two-week window he won't be an AFL player and won't enjoy the benefits of e.g. not having to pay for a physio to help him for his own rehab.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back