Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

We need to remember that Smith, Macrae & Daniel didn’t contribute to our on field performance in 2024. Macrae & Daniel played a handful of decent performances between them and there’s no reason why guys like Sanders & Harmes can’t effectively play those half forward/mid rotations well in 2025.

Even though we aren’t necessarily improving our list via trade acquisitions, the club is banking on the internal improvement of our excellent youth (which there is a considerable amount) and hopefully bringing in another few top 30 rated kids.

We’re clearly balancing the future with the present given the priorities that Bevo took in 2024.
Sanders is a little like Libba, great in the centre but just ok anywhere else. That's ok as I think Libba gets managed a lot this season.

Harmes plays now by default but Garcia is the one who has to play. His kicking can be a bit loopy but he has some genuine hardness and by good we lack that at times.
Sonny to me it's a little like West - makes mistakes because he wants it too much, but when it clicks we will have a player on our hands.

I’m no expert on this years draft, I presume WCE will look to trade out pick 3 as their is a WA draft option that falls around pick 12 to 14.

I think WCE push for Owies +p12 +p14
+ F2 for 3. Maybe even more.

It’s going to require a significant package.

Cal Twomey suggesting Norf might go straight 25 for Daniel. Even if we pay a bit of salary, that'd be hard to knock back.

I think Daniel deal will get done. Will come to pick 25 and Dogs pay x of his salary.

Likewise Macrae similar to Daniel

Big draft period coming up for our recruiters with maybe several picks in a deep even draft.

Picks in a deep even draft, get some $ off our salary cap and somewhat freshen the list not a bad result all things considered and of course getting rid of a pain in the butt Smith

Quick chin wag with player manager mate this morning, it’s his busiest time of year so impossible to talk to him properly.

Reckons IF (and he reckons it’s a real possibility) Smith gets walked to the draft, StKilda would 100% pick him, they have the cap to meet his contract demands, Ross doesn’t mind a player with a bit of attitude, and the club as a whole doesn’t mind pissing off player managers (he has first hand dealings with StK).

Two days to go..

Quick chin wag with player manager mate this morning, it’s his busiest time of year so impossible to talk to him properly.

Reckons IF (and he reckons it’s a real possibility) Smith gets walked to the draft, StKilda would 100% pick him, they have the cap to meet his contract demands, Ross doesn’t mind a player with a bit of attitude, and the club as a whole doesn’t mind pissing off player managers (he has first hand dealings with StK).

Two days to go..
I agree Saints would be most likely, maybe with GWS, but we’d need them to trade back as I don’t think they’d use 7 or 8.

Two days to go..

Stkilda could easily split one of those top 10 picks for a later first rnd selection.

For example

GWS pick 16 plus future first for Stk pick 7 or 8 plus later selection.

GWS love sliding up the board.

Two days to go..
Honestly, at this point with the way Mackie, Geelong fans and the media have acted this last month I’d consider Smith ending up anywhere but Geelong as a massive win.

As many have said before compare this exit to Dunkley’s…

Two days to go..

Hopefully Saints give us overs in Macrae deal to make sure we walk Smith to draft

That would make Smith catch the Queencliffe Sorrento ferry every day 😂

Two days to go..
AW say ‘there has been a breakthrough in talks’

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AW say ‘there has been a breakthrough in talks’
I still reckon 17 + F2 gets it done, and we'll trade up ourselves to get into that 10-13 bracket.
Must have our eye on someone.

I agree Saints would be most likely, maybe with GWS, but we’d need them to trade back as I don’t think they’d use 7 or 8.
Agree, the golden play is:
  • Trade pick 8 to GWS for pick 15 and pick 16
  • Then at pick 16 they call up Geelong and say they’re picking Smith unless the Cats swap picks with them and throw in the F1
Sure maybe you settle for Pick 21 / F1 instead of pick 15 from GWS, and maybe you only get Geelong’s F2 not F1 but it’s the making of a good outcome for the Saints.

I’d be very comfortable giving the Saints a good deal on Macrae if they can pose that credible threat to Geelong. I’d even just do it transparently through Connors to orchestrate the whole thing given he reps both Macrae and Smith. Get the Cats to stop being ****wits and you’ll get both Macrae and Smith to where they want to go, otherwise Smith is going to the Saints and Macrae is staying at the Dogs and you’ve got 2 pissed off clients.

Unless you want the club to settle on a shit deal for Baz, Daniel or Macca and expedite the picks we get, what exactly would you like us to do? We offered every bit of trade capital we had (F1 + F2) for pick 13 from the GC already. It appears it’s been well and truly gazumped.

Don’t just make shit negative woe is us posts. Suggest how we’d actually improve.
Mate settle down. I’m simply asking what our trade plan is. Been on holidays over the last two weeks and haven’t been up to date with trade week.

****ing precious

Rumour file caller on AW says Baz has been given #3 and already signing jumpers
Don’t doubt it….ive heard that already….if true we are so much better without him. If he’s that arrogant and dumb then he fails the no dickhead test.

Why do we want Smith to go to the saints? we still get bugger all, just to spite Geelong? spare me.

Sadly because of the actions of a petulant narcissist, a club so far up its own arse and Connors being the grifter he is, we get screwed no matter what. Still reckon its 17 and a F2 done with 5 mins to go tomorrow.

Why do we want Smith to go to the saints? we still get bugger all, just to spite Geelong? spare me.

Sadly because of the actions of a petulant narcissist, a club so far up its own arse and Connors being the grifter he is, we get screwed no matter what. Still reckon its 17 and a F2 done with 5 mins to go tomorrow.
It benefits the competition as a whole because it reminds every club of the danger of a player going to the national draft.

Hopefully Saints give us overs in Macrae deal to make sure we walk Smith to draft

That would make Smith catch the Queencliffe Sorrento ferry every day 😂
Macrae might pull out of the Stk request if he has to play with Bellend Baz again

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back