Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Mail has been accurate before.

Different source with the Butters one. Very reliable around dogs. Also said we offered Sam De Koning a 6-year deal which i found suprising.

We will hit free agency hard next year. If we a confident we can land one, I can see us trading out next years first rounder to slide up draft this year
Not doubting your mail but how can we trade in Butters next year if we trade out our first rounder to move up this year? He’ll still be in contract, we’re going to need those first rounders

Mail has been accurate before.

Different source with the Butters one. Very reliable around dogs. Also said we offered Sam De Koning a 6-year deal which i found suprising.

We will hit free agency hard next year. If we a confident we can land one, I can see us trading out next years first rounder to slide up draft this year
Are you actually replying to your own posts?

And what?

Play Macrae and Daniel as rotating subs again next year?

Smith had clearly checked out long ago. We made the best of a s*** sandwich and Smith, his manager and Geelong made it s***. The best thing we can do is avoid drafting Smith types and go through draftee's character with a fine tooth comb.

Play them like we should have this year, in the team and on the ground because they were both clearly best 22 players.

And Smith, who knows what we might have gotten if we had held firm.

Geelong gets bargain deals because they have a reputation of sticking to their positions, there is a lesson there for us.

Play them like we should have this year, in the team and on the ground because they were both clearly best 22 players.

And Smith, who knows what we might have gotten if we had held firm.

Geelong gets bargain deals because they have a reputation of sticking to their positions, there is a lesson there for us.
We clearly played better football over the course of the year when we went from giving Macrae small but still some centre bounce rotations to zero.

And holding firm - whole I agree that we were generally somewhat aggressive, the trade was done with 8 minutes to go. Any holding and we would have risked no trade going through.

People happy to laud Power as a genius when a deal like Treloars falls into his lap. Don’t dare criticise him when he has seen the departure of 2 x A grade players we knew wanted to leave years prior for peanuts.

I have not been impressed by anything he’s done. He bloody gave the stupid contracts to Macrae and Daniel he then had to f*cking unwind and people are saying he did a good job doing so. F*ck me, the bloke is made of teflon!
The trend these days is to give out long contracts to stop clubs from raiding you. If Macrae and Daniel were uncontracted, we wouldn't have got picks 45 and 25. Trading them out had nothing to do with unwinding a poor contract like Treloar or Bowes. It was purely a football decision.

On Instagram, I find it extremely telling the stark difference between the outpour of Likes the Macrae and Daniel farewell post’s got. And the shocking lack of Likes from the playing list for Smith

The only notable player to like the post is Josh Bruce. A man who has been out of this Football club for years now. And probably plays the 2021 Season over in his head before he sleeps.

It genuinely seems like the whole playing group, has an at best rocky relationship with him. So fulfilling his wish and letting him go may be great culture wise

I know I’m grasping at straws. But You observe what you can as a Supporter looking in.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Correct, Power completely screwed up.
How? As a contracted player, Smith could refuse any trade. If the rumour that we actually asked him last year if he was interested in going, is true, and he said he wasn’t and was in it for the long haul- what would you have done? Between the ACL injury and the likely whisper deal with Geelong/CottonOn, we couldn’t do jack s**t. The AFL/AFLPA allowed this mess by setting the rules the way they have. Again, you cannot trade a contracted player without their say so.

On Instagram, I find it extremely telling the stark difference between the outpour of Likes the Macrae and Daniel farewell post’s got. And the shocking lack of Likes from the playing list for Smith

The only notable player to like the post is Josh Bruce. A man who has been out of this Football club for years now. And probably plays the 2021 Season over in his head before he sleeps.

It genuinely seems like the whole playing group, has an at best rocky relationship with him. So fulfilling his wish and letting him go may be great culture wise

I know I’m grasping at straws. But You observe what you can as a Supporter looking in.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

There are two young Dogs who like pretty much every footy related post on instagram. Arty Jones and Aiden O’Driscoll, both in the age range where they’d have looked up to Smith. Neither has engaged with the post. That’s a very notable absence.

Richmond will need to consolidate some of their high picks (likely will trade out for some futures), but I wonder if something like 17 for 23 + 24 would make sense. Gives them another higher pick and 17 + 18 back to back and would allow us to have 23,24 and 25 to strike from. We could then trade 48 to a needy team without many picks (Roos, Crows, Eagles) for a future 3rd (plus more possibly if it's in demand).

That pick 24 is the valuable first pick of the second round also that teams make offers for leading up to night 2 and seems to hold a fair bit of value. Might not be enough for Richmond but maybe if the right player for them is there and there's still a decent group of players remaining we like.

Not many of these guys will get extensions beyond next year: Gardner, Cleary, Baker, Poulter, Arty and Clarke if he gets extended.
+ libba, Jones, Duryea and JJ as potential retirements.

Could be a lot of list turnover.

Your point is definitely valid, but Gardner is signed until the end of 2026 🤦‍♂️

Not many of these guys will get extensions beyond next year: Gardner, Cleary, Baker, Poulter, Arty and Clarke if he gets extended.

Scott another one I'd say is less than 50% to be on the list in 2026.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t we have [emoji6] spots? If we keep Clarke.
Out:
Smith
Macrae
Bedendo
Daniel
O’Driscoll / Rypstra
Keath

IN:
Kennedy

So we could take [emoji6] picks in the ND?

People seem to have severely inflated the value of draft picks recently. They are always hit and miss.

Smith is a proven performer, in his prime, and definitely worth our asking price. We should have held fast.

In order to gain credibility at the trade table you need to be prepared to walk away from bad deals. We don't know how to say 'no' and stick to it!

That is why we get low-balled year after year.

List some players out of contract where a club refused to trade them? Anyone walked to the draft?

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not many on here give Poults any credit for his development last year. Has shown a hell of a lot more than Gardener, Cleary, Baker, Poulter, Arty and Clarke.

Though it'll never be public, we'll probably renegotiate the Naughton and English deals and front-load them first and then we can always move money around and re-sign for 2026 onward once we've shifted the bulk of that money in those contracts around.

Though the melts on this board will be pretty funny if people realise that Tim English will be paid over a million dollars next yead
It will have to happen just for us to hit the salary cap floor. Will also mean we could potentially spend 110% in 2026

Well it wasn’t the best trade period, we didn’t fold with smith but we took unders. We got overs for Daniel.

So is this how our list sits?
Out: smith Daniel Macrae Bedendo O’Driscoll (Rypstra) Keath? Clarke?

In: Kennedy

So that is 5-7 off the main list depending on keath and Clarke decisions? 1 on the main list with Kennedy

I’d give Clarke another year on minimum salary. Let Keath go.

Which would leave 5 open list spots.

I’d also like to see us try to upgrade 35 into one of Richmond’s 23/24 or Brisbane’s 27

About as good as Sam could do to clean up the mess left by Bevo and the disconnect with list management.

Smith's attitude may have opened the door to leave but Bevo made sure of it by playing him out of position prior to his knee and not managing the midfield rotations. He was stuck at half forward after tearing it up mid and on the wing. We discussed this every week in autopsy threads. The time was last year, no doubt the club knew shit was going on, everyone else did. Along with others, this time last year i posted people at Cotton On knew it would happen eventually. The time was then.

Bev changing the roles of Macrae and Daniel this year, which was fair enough. But Macrae has never been able to play other positions and this should have been obvious to Bev and communicated to Power to explore trading last year. Knowing a rough year not in his preferred position would see his value drop. Similar with Daniel, the time was then.

Now with Kennedy ear marked for that half forward mid role. Doesn't look like Bev will be changing much
playing Baz half forward and out of position also showed up some previously unidentified weaknesses. a lack of flexibility in where he can play, and he looked frightened to commit his body at times where he didnt know where the impact was coming from. something that doesnt happen on the wing too often.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back