List Mgmt. Trade & F.A. 2017 (if a scenario sounds wrong - read on before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The general public didn't really know who Beverage was until he was appointed...and he netted the dogs a flag in 2 years.

Don't think Chris Fagan had much of a public profile either before being appointed by Brisbane...too early to judge but early signs are he's slowly but surely turning them around...and Brisbane are coming from a long way back.

I'm sure there are plenty of highly rated assistant coaches in the league atm ready to become senior coaches.

Thought Bevo did some fantastic work as our development coach 2009 - 2010.

He like all the other assistants with aspirations of higher office would do the interview circuit whenever there's a vacancy. I'd imagine we'd have a good range of "coaches in waiting" throwing their hats into the ring if Bucks is moved on. Despite what a few posters portray, I think we have a good young list that will continue to blossom with greater experience. The only thing that might inhibit a few is the profile and exposure aspect of coaching the Pies.

Thought Bevo did some fantastic work as our development coach 2009 - 2010.

He like all the other assistants with aspirations of higher office would do the interview circuit whenever there's a vacancy. I'd imagine we'd have a good range of "coaches in waiting" throwing their hats into the ring if Bucks is moved on. Despite what a few posters portray, I think we have a good young list that will continue to blossom with greater experience. The only thing that might inhibit a few is the profile and exposure aspect of coaching the Pies.

True, with such a high profile and 'blockbuster' games, it would probably be a more daunting task for a new, young coach than most other clubs like Melbourne, St Kilda or North.

Still, i don't think that would really dissuade any aspirant coaches from wanting the role...in fact a lot may be drawn to it and Collingwoods facilities etc.

I think most would agree you have more than enough good young talent coming through, the criticism is mostly around the balance and makeup of your list...namely having too many mids and not enough KPP's, which IMO is warranted. But draft a few KPP's and/or trade one or two of your excess mids for some and you'll be in a good position.

Another option for a new coach would be to base your game plan around a smaller team, similar to the Bulldogs last year and Richmond this year to suit your list better. Up front Richmond currently only have Jack Riewoldt and then use a 'mosquito fleet'...which is something Collingwood do have.

In the wash up of the weekends games there was talk surrounding Stringer being traded from the bulldogs. Nothing official from the club and pure speculation and talk from the media, but if that was to arise I wouldn't mind collingwood pursuing him strongly. I don't think he'd command our first pick, however if a Sidebottom for example could get us something later in the first round, or even be included in the deal (i.e Sidebottom plus third round pick for Stringer and a second rounder), Stringer could slot in nicely to the froward line.
Potentially line up as;
WHE Moore Elliot
Fasolo Stringer Kirby/Crocker/Brown

If we include Reid
WHE Moore Elliot
Fasolo Reid Stringer.

Give us a taller more versatile forward line and frees up Darcy and Elliot a lot more.

I'd keep sidebottom unless we can use him in a trade for a KPP like Lever or Wright, B Brown, etc. We lose a best 22 player but gain another one in a more pressing positional need.

Reid I'd trade for a pick in the 20s. Get us back into the second round where we can perhaps pick up a pacy rebounding back type or at least trade the pick on...

Reid doesn't have 50 games left in him IMO. He's 29 next year. As he ages i don't see him staying agile and playing well into his 30s like a Gibson or Lonergan. I think when it comes, his decline will be sharp like Clokes. Sell while he has some value still.

Kurt Tippetts management has spoken to one club about a possible move out of Sydney.:eek:;)

Supposedly to a Melbourne based club too. Reckon he'll end up at either Richmond or the Bulldogs... all the rest seem to have a youth policy or adequate KPF stock.

Knowing our recent penchant for mature age top ups and short term solutions... can't rule Bucks and co not taking a punt on him if we can't land anything better.

But Tippet would be a disaster for Collingwood!

I think with our current list build we just need to learn how to play as a team. Yes I agree we need another key forward and maybe another back flanker/ winger with their kick being a huge weapon. So based on this off season I'm sure regardless of whether Buckley is coaching us next year or not they will go out and get these guys. I can NOT see us not getting a key forward. And I'm sure we'll get a few others pieces as well. As well as hopefully a top 5 pick which I'm hoping we get Luke Davies-Uniacke or Cameron rayner. Not a fan of fogarty. His championships have been very worrying.
When you evaluate our list, based on talent I'm gonna make a bold statement and say it's a top 4 list. With the expected emergence of de goey becoming a star in the coming years moving pendles who is struggling with contested ball to half back could be a season changing move.
If we include a quality key forward, an elite kicker to play the ultimate quarterback role and a top 5 pick, if playing as a team and sticking to structures we should be in contention. Regardless of whether bucks is there or not.
Going based on what I've said our team could look something like this.

Scharenberg Dunn Maynard
Howe Reid Pendlebury
Wells De goey Siddebottom
Hoskin-Elliot Keyforward Davies-uniacke/rayner
Elliot Moore Fasolo
Grundy Adams Treloar
Crisp Goldsack Varcoe Greenwood

I think with our current list build we just need to learn how to play as a team. Yes I agree we need another key forward and maybe another back flanker/ winger with their kick being a huge weapon. So based on this off season I'm sure regardless of whether Buckley is coaching us next year or not they will go out and get these guys. I can NOT see us not getting a key forward. And I'm sure we'll get a few others pieces as well. As well as hopefully a top 5 pick which I'm hoping we get Luke Davies-Uniacke or Cameron rayner. Not a fan of fogarty. His championships have been very worrying.
When you evaluate our list, based on talent I'm gonna make a bold statement and say it's a top 4 list. With the expected emergence of de goey becoming a star in the coming years moving pendles who is struggling with contested ball to half back could be a season changing move.
If we include a quality key forward, an elite kicker to play the ultimate quarterback role and a top 5 pick, if playing as a team and sticking to structures we should be in contention. Regardless of whether bucks is there or not.
Going based on what I've said our team could look something like this.

Scharenberg Dunn Maynard
Howe Reid Pendlebury
Wells De goey Siddebottom
Hoskin-Elliot Keyforward Davies-uniacke/rayner
Elliot Moore Fasolo
Grundy Adams Treloar
Crisp Goldsack Varcoe Greenwood

I am not a Fan of using our Top Pick on yet another Midfielder

In the wash up of the weekends games there was talk surrounding Stringer being traded from the bulldogs. Nothing official from the club and pure speculation and talk from the media, but if that was to arise I wouldn't mind collingwood pursuing him strongly. I don't think he'd command our first pick, however if a Sidebottom for example could get us something later in the first round, or even be included in the deal (i.e Sidebottom plus third round pick for Stringer and a second rounder), Stringer could slot in nicely to the froward line.
Potentially line up as;
WHE Moore Elliot

If we include Reid
WHE Moore Elliot
Fasolo Reid Stringer.

Give us a taller more versatile forward line and frees up Darcy and Elliot a lot more.
He's too inconsistent, has issues IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am not a Fan of using our Top Pick on yet another Midfielder
I am if they are fast, clean and have a kicking weapon.

Allows us to at least look at S Reid as a FA and hit next year's draft with a KPF what by all accounts appears to be stronger.

If we think we can nab a better KPF prospect next year, what are he chances of us trading our top 5 pick for a 2017 second rounder and a mid 2018 first rounder? (And sign Reid as a FA)

Having played against both the king twins for years who are eligible in next years draft, I can tell you they will both go top 5. They are insanely good. And we should hold out for either max or Ben.

So do we Make a Bigger Offer?

Rather give Lever Big Money then Tippett or Casboult

Well, I think we'd all prefer Lever to those two, Dave.

But, all the noise in the media, from the talking head journos to the man himself, has been that he will stay a Crow...

I am if they are fast, clean and have a kicking weapon.

Allows us to at least look at S Reid as a FA and hit next year's draft with a KPF what by all accounts appears to be stronger.

If we think we can nab a better KPF prospect next year, what are he chances of us trading our top 5 pick for a 2017 second rounder and a mid 2018 first rounder? (And sign Reid as a FA)
Don't you think that's the kind of thinking that got us in to the situation we're currently in?

Oh, there's a good mid available here, we'll get a KPF next year! Rinse and repeat, year after year.

Potentially line up as;
WHE Moore Elliot

If we include Reid
WHE Moore Elliot
Fasolo Reid Stringer.

I was big on Stringer two years ago but he's been the biggest downhill skier in that two year period. In fact trading Sidey for him would be a win win for both clubs. Both only really preform once every 5 games.

Supposedly to a Melbourne based club too. Reckon he'll end up at either Richmond or the Bulldogs... all the rest seem to have a youth policy or adequate KPF stock.

Knowing our recent penchant for mature age top ups and short term solutions... can't rule Bucks and co not taking a punt on him if we can't land anything better.

But Tippet would be a disaster for Collingwood!
No doubt we'll get him. 6 years at $800k per year. He can play in the seconds with Mayne.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back