List Mgmt. Trade & F/A - 2018/2019 - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not a fan of this time of year on Bigfooty. The number of posters quadruples and the garbage that gets posted with it increases at the same rate! It’s not so much the intent, but the lack of thought. The only positive is that the ignore list gets a nice padding with nuffies 🤙

This brings me no joy, but Casboult? Handwringing over Keeffe? Trading Grundy? fu** me! We just lost a PF to the most talented group in league history who were missing 3 of their best 5 and for large chunk of the season looked like we were treading water. Rant over.

The hard reality is we were a long way off it in 2019 and despite being in a window a brave, not stupid, move or two has to be considered for the betterment of the list. Moves like those take us nowhere.

The objective here from a list management perspective has to be to identify guys that come in and are either best 10 list fits or release similar talents to other areas of the ground.

1. A KPF capable of 40+ goals a year (Bruce/ Finlayson).
2. A physical medium forward to release JDG (Bonar/ Laverde).
3. A KPD to release Moore (Howard).

The Bonar/ Laverde one’s are more speculative so I’m not as keen on them and open to other suggestions (I only have Wood who I don’t like because of his injury profile and competitiveness). It’s not exactly a position with great depth league wide. We have a plethora of trade currency with a 2020 1st, Cox, Elliott, Sier, Howe, WHE and Sidebottom/ Phillips all assets that need to be considered. There’ll be a few names there that people scratch their heads at or are downright salty with given my strong criticism to commence the post, but I assure you all are replaceable. Personally I’m more inclined to move forward assets than defensive or midfield assets because that line is already struggling so I don’t think it’s entirely personnel and a fresh look is probably in order.

The list is one thing though and the more pressing concerns, IMO, need to be high performance and ball movement. I think the two best lists in the league made the GF and both teams also have it over us for structure and ball movement. If you aren’t as talented with an inferior system something needs to change. The first is we have to have our best players available more often and the second I think we need to address is our numbers around the contest and our defensive mechanisms.

I assume we’re going to stick with a two tall fwd structure so we need to pick apart Richmond’s ball movement and structure behind the ball because they not only have a super setup behind the ball, but also manage to throw heavy numbers ahead of the ball. This is possible because they don’t commit as many to the contest. We were very protective of our back half in 18-19 and in numbers terms if that protection were 100% then we need to dial it back to say 80%. It’s essentially why I think one or two of Sier, Sidebottom or Phillips are expendable because in the right system the difference between 20 from Daicos/ T Brown and 25-30 from Phillips/ Sidebottom is marginal especially if JDG is able to become a midfield wrecking ball. No more trash trade suggestions please...

A lot of what you say is reasonable. I think you could be more considerate of others (“garbage”) though, as you have mentioned at-times quite outlandish trading strategies while also kind of trashing others for doing the same. The main difference between your posts and others is you have a better structured writing approach and different style. Your ideas aren’t ‘better’ because of your ‘my final word’ writing style, nor are you a better person because of it.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Lol the original stats were not selective.
I merely further added in another post if you take out the 2 big scoring wins vs 2 sides who were susceptible the average drops even further whilst still off an 11 game sample.

There is enough talk around Harley to know he barely changed his ways from GC to Freo. Or are you trying to argue even further back that Harley didn't take drugs regularly including binges with K.Hunt when he was at GC the last few years?

Must be why GC desperately tried to hang on to him....Oh wait.

Freo too must be sticking fat by the their star recruit who's doing all he can to get back like we have with our perennially injured players....Oh wait.

The only point you and manicpie make that I agree with is I don't know for sure he hasn't recently cleaned his act up. But history suggests he hasn't.

I agree. I don’t think Harley should be in any Collingwood conversation at all. Or Carlisle. Or Stevens, Hogan or Beams (whoops). A rogue citizen or two and we have 6-8 players going down with them, not just the 1-2 we recruit.

hey guys. you have so many elite players in the midfield that i think its a problem. all competing against each other rather than just being able to sort out and let someone win it. too many chiefs not enough indians. thats why the tigers have been so good. they let a handful be the stars and let the rest play a role. you just need a key defender and forward and you should be fine if they get rhythm going together.

A lot of what you say is reasonable. I think you could be more considerate of others (“garbage”) though, as you have mentioned at-times quite outlandish trading strategies while also kind of trashing others for doing the same. The main difference between your posts and others is you have a better structured writing approach and different style. Your ideas aren’t ‘better’ because of your ‘my final word’ writing style, nor are you a better person because of it.

Instead of contributing to the “garbage” you could challenge my suggestions instead? I assure you I can justify every outlandish suggestion with similar essay like posts because that’s how I am. Part of who I am is how I write and it comes from a track record of rarely getting it wrong with my take on list management...

Last edited:
Scout pretty much said what a lot thought... lay low for a year or two then target a star to compliment De Goey, Grundy, Stevo, Treloar etc. He also said he thinks Cameron is gettable in the future.. I believe that was referring to Jeremy Cameron.

He had a few choice words for Ned Guy regarding the Beams trade

As someone unconvinced by Guy I feel the criticism was unfair*.

The move on Roughead was astute, we attracted a star in Beamer, retained points for our academy and FS selections without going into deficit and retained the core of our list. The only missteps were signing Reid so early in 2018 and missing on Lynch which, for all we know, was done before he arrived at the club.

We have to consider that Guy lobbed in a role surrounded by legends of industry in Buckley, Walsh and Hine who all have 15+ years in clubland so while he was in charge I hardly think it was all him. This year will be a greater test because he’s now had just shy of two years in the role so I’d like to see him influencing the shape of the list.

*assuming our due diligence was done on Beamers hip.

Tom Browne said on Talking Footy he's spoken to Sier's management today and has confirmd Sier is staying.

If he is staying then he better pull his finger out of his a** and turn up to preseason in a better condition then last year!!...last chance saloon for Sier

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah, they’ll probably be too much angst and he’ll be keen on leaving.Especially once he’s “committed” to the other club.

Don’t think there’s ever been a player stay after the offer has been matched.
Elliott is unrestricted. If he accepts an offer we don’t have the option to match and force a trade.

It not hard we need either Bruce or Howard which then releases Moore forward.

We need Bonar or Laverde to release DeGoey into the midfield.

We need Sier to finally grow the **** up and step up to the plate and Deliver. Keep hearing how much potential Tyler has let's bloody well see some of it.

Pendles out to a HBF and Sidey and Beams out to HFF'S.

We need additional Ruck/KPF depth we can have that in Darcy Cameron

And we need to draft a KPF with our earliest pick left to develop.

What would each of Howard, Bruce, Bonar, Laverde, Cameron cost in trade?

We have next year's first rounder we can trade and few players I'd shop around like Aish, Phillips, WHE etc.

Potential best 22 in 2020 I could see is:

B: Maynard ~ Roughead ~ Langdon
HB: Howe ~ Howard ~ Pendlebury
C: Treloar ~ DeGoey ~ Crisp
R: Grundy ~ Adams ~ Sier
HF: Beams ~ Moore ~ Sidebottom
F: Elliott ~ Mihocek ~ Stephenson

Int: Quaynor ~ Bonar ~ T.Brown ~ Murphy

Didn’t realise he was UFA.

Think he’s gone now.
If we are in the ball park offer-wise he’ll stay. All the noise is that he’s happy at Collingwood, so it’s up to the club to decide whether we’ll be better off retaining him or letting him go. I think we’ll be asking the AFL what kind of compo the offers he has will get us and make a decision from there.

If we are going for Howard it should be to play back, he has shown brilliant talent back there. I'd keep Moore back too and have Roughy and Cox competing for the part time ruck FF position.

Moore hasn't even played a full season yet, so consistency is what he needs now, play him back for a couple of years until he is more settled.

Someone is missing the concept of the Number 5 jumper "if" they want to leave our Club for more $.

Someone is missing the concept of the Number 5 jumper "if" they want to leave our Club for more $.
I think it will be the security of extra years rather than pure $$. You can’t blame Jamie for wanting that peace of mind given his back issues.

I think it will be the security of extra years rather than pure $$. You can’t blame Jamie for wanting that peace of mind given his back issues.

Yeah I can and I will "if" he leaves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back