List Mgmt. Trade & F/A - 2018/2019 - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

They gave this year's pick nine, we gave pick eighteen, they gave next year's first which in all likelihood will be a better pick than our first next year PLUS we got some picks back.
Don't think I will ever understand why some of you just say blatant lies to suit some odd bent you seem to have.
You said we paid more than what Essendon paid for Shiels, that is not true, by all means you can have an opinion if we paid too much but will never understand why add plain old lies to the post.

I have Essendon finishing top 4 next year, and GWS finishing 9-12th.

By my calculations, we would have to at least make finals for it to be a fair deal.

Trying to prove your point using Freeman as an example of a top 10 pick is meaningless.

It's just as easy to counter argue with the example of Grundy at pick 18.

That proves my point! There are no guarantees. We systematically over-inflate the value of first-round draft-picks. Statistically, you're better off with a known star than a speculative draft pick, it just feels less exciting (like buying indexed funds instead of stocks).

Hit the FA market? I have no idea who is on the list for next year, but that could be a fair chunk of cap leaving we can look to replace for nothing (trade wise)

https://soperth.com.au/afl-trade-period-2019-afl-free-agent-list-23345

Adelaide Crows
Name Status
Andy Otten Unrestricted Free Agent
David MacKay Unrestricted Free Agent
Jake Kelly Non-Free Agent
Richard Douglas Unrestricted Free Agent
Sam Jacobs Restricted Free Agent

Brisbane Lions
Name Status
Ryan Lester Restricted Free Agent

Carlton Blues
Name Status
Edward Curnow Restricted Free Agent
Kade Simpson Unrestricted Free Agent
Levi Casboult Unrestricted Free Agent
Matthew Kreuzer Unrestricted Free Agent

Collingwood Magpies
Name Status
Ben Reid Unrestricted Free Agent
Jamie Elliott Restricted Free Agent

Essendon Bombers
Name Status
David Myers Unrestricted Free Agent
Travis Colyer Unrestricted Free Agent

Fremantle Dockers
Name Status
Aaron Sandilands Unrestricted Free Agent
David Mundy Unrestricted Free Agent
Hayden Ballantyne Unrestricted Free Agent

Geelong Cats
Name Status
Harry Taylor Unrestricted Free Agent

Gold Coast Suns
Name Status
Alex Sexton Restricted Free Agent
David Swallow Restricted Free Agent
Rory Thompson Restricted Free Agent
Sam Day Restricted Free Agent
Tom Nicholls Restricted Free Agent

GWS Giants
Name Status
Adam Tomlinson Restricted Free Agent
Dylan Shiel Restricted Free Agent
Harrison Himmelberg Non-Free Agent
Matthew Buntine Restricted Free Agent
Nick Haynes Restricted Free Agent
Stephen Coniglio Restricted Free Agent

Hawthorn Hawks
Name Status
Ben McEvoy Non-Free Agent
Benjamin Stratton Restricted Free Agent
Grant Birchall Unrestricted Free Agent
Liam Shiels Restricted Free Agent
Paul Puopolo Restricted Free Agent
Shaun Burgoyne Unrestricted Free Agent
William Langford Restricted Free Agent

Melbourne Demons
Name Status
Nathan Jones Unrestricted Free Agent

North Melbourne Kangaroos
Name Status
Majak Daw Restricted Free Agent
Samuel Wright Unrestricted Free Agent
Scott Thompson Unrestricted Free Agent
Todd Goldstein Unrestricted Free Agent

Port Adelaide Power
Name Status
Justin Westhoff Unrestricted Free Agent
Matthew Broadbent Restricted Free Agent
Robbie Gray Unrestricted Free Agent
Thomas Jonas Restricted Free Agent
Travis Boak Unrestricted Free Agent

Richmond Tigers
Name Status
Bachar Houli Restricted Free Agent
David Astbury Restricted Free Agent
Shane Edwards Unrestricted Free Agent
Shaun Grigg Restricted Free Agent

St Kilda Saints
Name Status
David Armitage Unrestricted Free Agent
Jack Newnes Restricted Free Agent
Jarryn Geary Unrestricted Free Agent

Sydney Swans
Name Status
Harry Cunningham Restricted Free Agent
Heath Grundy Unrestricted Free Agent
Jarrad McVeigh Unrestricted Free Agent
Kieren Jack Unrestricted Free Agent

West Coast Eagles
Name Status
Bradley Sheppard Restricted Free Agent
Chris Masten Unrestricted Free Agent
Joshua Kennedy Restricted Free Agent
Nicholas Naitanui Restricted Free Agent
Shannon Hurn Unrestricted Free Agent
Will Schofield Unrestricted Free Agent

Western Bulldogs
Name Status
Dale Morris Unrestricted Free Agent
Fletcher Roberts Restricted Free Agent
Liam Picken Unrestricted Free Agent
Lukas Webb Non-Free Agent
Tory Dickson Restricted Free Agent

We lose if Beams has a tantrum and decides he doesn’t need like Bucks again. He dicked around Brisbane, who is to say he won’t do the same to us again

Yeah, he's not my favourite player and I've argued before that he's over-rated. I feel he's matured in Brisbane, and I'm hoping that he can do more of what he did this year, especially with the reduced pressure of being one star among many and with no leadership role.

I have Essendon finishing top 4 next year, and GWS finishing 9-12th.

By my calculations, we would have to at least make finals for it to be a fair deal.
Fair enough that's your opinion and we can all have an opinion but you can't then say we paid more than Essendon did. That's all an unknown.

What (picks) and with whom (another club), do we have to trade to get into a better position to draft this year?

We lose if Beams has a tantrum and decides he doesn’t need like Bucks again. He dicked around Brisbane, who is to say he won’t do the same to us again
What??

When you are battling mental demons, you often question yourself and have little conviction in your decisions...that evident with the flip flopping on where he wanted to be.

Beams almost won the Lions BnF despite dealing with all of his off-field sh1t this year...so even if still battling some demons has shown he will still produce.

A great addition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What (picks) and with whom (another club), do we have to trade to get into a better position to draft this year?
Someone suggested we trade the two in the forties we got from the Lions to North for their three in the late forties. Adds 130 points.

Only thing is North have two academy boys they need to pick, one of which is expected to go high.

My main regret from the trade period is that Shiel didn’t stay at GWS, which would have resulted in Robbo trying to contort himself to write an article both whinging about how unfair the Giants were while also moaning that Brisbane gave in and traded Beams.

We got Dayne “top 10 in the Brownlow” Beams and people are complaining.. Jesus wept.

We literally have the best midfield of all time. Let that sink in.

Discarding pick 18 this year was always a gamble worth taking and IQ and Kelly plus a gun list of depth mean we can step out of the first round next year.

We got Sier and Maynard for 30s picks. Hine is better at nailing talent late in the draft (DeGoey excepted).

Not to mention all the posters critical of where Cal Twomey named our academy/FS boys in his phantom and several posters saying those picks were over inflated, yet now crying foul.

Sheeesh!

Last edited:
I'm quite contented with today's outcome.

giphy.gif

Someone suggested we trade the two in the forties we got from the Lions to North for their three in the late forties. Adds 130 points.

Only thing is North have two academy boys they need to pick, one of which is expected to go high.

Yeah so on this - if our pick 57 FA compo supposedly does not include any points to use towards academy picks (bizarre rule) - why wouldn’t we trade this for say pick 58 as it would then carry points for us to use? Would the AFL integrity peeps have an issue with that?

Yeah so on this - if our pick 57 FA compo supposedly does not include any points to use towards academy picks (bizarre rule) - why wouldn’t we trade this for say pick 58 as it would then carry points for us to use? Would the AFL integrity peeps have an issue with that?
Still a bit unclear on whether that really is the case.

When you count how much the points of 41 and 44 it’s about equal to a mid 20s pick. Then with the discount for academy or father son it’s prob worth 18/19.

So if we have a decent year next year and make finals it’s basically

Pick 18 and 12-18 for Beams and 19.

Which pretty much means it’s Beams for next years first

Don't forget pick 56 out - it ain't the compo pick!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back