List Mgmt. Trade & F/A - 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So why in 2019 did he kick 32.16 in 11 games against top 8.
5.0 against Richmond, 5.0 against Geelong, 0.4 against us and 3.2 and 3.1 against Brisbane (the top 4 teams)

So the 5.0 against Richmond was inside at the Docklands in a win by North by 30 points+ (during the period when Rance and Reiwoldt were injured. Ben dominated with 5 goals against Ryan Garthwaite)

The 5.0 against Geelong was against a settled defence and again inside at Docklands (Ben failed to score in the rematch at Kardinia Park) Good result for Ben here, but North Lost the game.

His brace of 3's against the Lions were at the Gabba and inside at Docklands (both were tight games won both times by Brisbane).

So if one wanted to analyse BB's games against Top 4 sides in 2019 ( a year when North won 10 games, so they weren't HOPELESS) you'd say: The 5 v Richmond was against a kid who hasn't featured much since, He played well against Geelong ONCE and poorly the next time and he was consistent against the Lions.

Average Goals against top 4 sides in 2019: = 2.6 goals per game (0 against Collingwood)
% of the goals kicked against top 4 sides @ Docklands: = 81% (13/16)
% of goals kicked away from home against top sides: =19% (3/16)

Teams played twice in 2019 (eg: Home and Away): Bris = 3 goals @ Gabba, 3 goals@Docklands
Haw = 1 goal @ MCG, 4 goals @ Docklands
Ess = 2 goals docklands, 6 goals@ Docklands
PA = 0 goals @ Adel Oval, 10 goals @ Docklands
Geel = 5 goals @ Docklands, 0 goals @ Kardinia Park
Av Goals @ Docklands in these games = 5
Av Goals away from home = 1

How many games do Collingwood play at the Docklands every year = 2-3

Worth of BB @ Collingwood??????????

2MP would be recruited as a 3rd target, fwd/ruck, not a primary target. Honestly to me the fact we’re opting for a smaller more agile player like Gunston over a big lumbering bloke like Brown is music to my ears. It signals a change of intent from the club to try to start hitting up targets in the forward line rather than bombing it on the tall blokes head. It’s exactly what the club needs to start doing with forward entries.

But but but, list list list.

Rubbish - what we do off half back and through the middle is the cause of our poor ball movement. Nothing the forwards do will help when we have a 5-10 possession chain coming off half back which maybe makes it up to the opposite wing (if we're lucky).

As soon as we bite the bullet and push the ball forward with speed (or get a quick centre clearance) our forwards look a lot better because they don't have 3 or 4 opposition players rolling over and dropping into the space in front of the ball.
this happened in 2018 and look how our forward line functioned then, we had the same forwards in 2018 as we had for this season. Getting Ben Brown or Jeremy Cameron wont help if they are served up the delivery and slow ball movement we dished up for majority of this year. Targeting Gunston is a good sign that we will be looking to lower the eyes instead of bombing into our forward 50.

So why do we hold the ball up? We do it as nobody up the field is providing a target. That’s why we are looking to reinvent the forward line

Wrong - we do it because our game plan is predicated on controlling the ball coming out of our D50 via a chain of short kicks (often) sideways or even backwards until we can break someone free and create an overlap. One side effect of this is that we spend a lot of time switching the ball even when there is no prospect of an outnumber down the other wing just so that we can hang onto the ball.

The majority of time we end up being corralled at half back or back of the true wing position with our forwards trying to push across against a defensive structure that has already shifted and pushed numbers back to cut off our only possible avenues forward.

As mentioned previously we look like superstars and everything clicks in those brief patches within games where we do play a more free-flowing, attacking style of football further up the ground and that more than anything should tell you something.

Last edited:

Geez old Matty has lost it!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I’m not so sure, Moore in the ruck has been done before...resulted in a Brownlow. Would be the most agile and most highly skilled ruckman in the comp, and he’s right would be handy resting forward too. Question on whether his body could take it though.

I’m not so sure, Moore in the ruck has been done before...resulted in a Brownlow. Would be the most agile and most highly skilled ruckman in the comp, and he’s right would be handy resting forward too. Question on whether his body could take it though.
The other question is how would we get Sydney to pick up the 7 year 7 million contract on Grundy? Cannot see them trading for him on what they saw of him this year.

Wrong - we do it because out game plan is predicated on controlling the ball coming out of our D50 via a chain of short kicks (often) sideways or even backwards until we can break someone free and create an overlap. One side effect of this is that we spend a lot of time switching the ball even when there is no prospect of an outnumber down the other wing just so that we can hang onto the ball.

The majority of time we end up being corralled at half back or the back of the true wing position with our forwards trying to push across against a defensive structure that has already shifted and pushed numbers back to cut off our only possible avenues forward.

As mentioned previously we look like superstars and everything clicks in this brief patches within games where we do play a more free-flowing, attacking style of football further up the ground and that more than anything should tell you something.
The game plan aims to prevent us not turning the ball over at our half forward line as that’s one of the leading causes of scores against in the AFL. So we go short as soon as there is nothing up the field we can go to with confidence

I'm actually guessing that Brown has put it to his "suitors" that he wants the money offered to him earlier this year by North (ie. 3 years at $750k-$800k) plus a trigger for a fourth year on still good money and we've subsequently baulked at the asking price.

I don't see how recruiting a small defender rules out any chance of picking up a key tall. We can sign multiple players...and i doubt Jetta is going to come at a cost.

I'd be looking at a package of Jetta + Tom McDonald. The Dees are looking for wingmen, so sending Phillips back the other way could be an option along with a suitable picks. I'd like Tom McDonald as a full back. Beyond Roughead, the cupboard is bare for key defenders.
they are losing Preuss, offer Phillips & Max Lynch for T McDonald & Jetta with pick swaps
Cameron has replaced Lynch for us, who now has a little value

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in our Recruiting meetings.

Bucks: "Alright, we need a Mobile KPF and some outside run and carry, maybe another inside midfielder. Let me know what you guys can do"!

*Bucks leaves the room*

Ned Guy: "Everyone else heard small defender on the wrong side of 30 yeah"!? Get me the number for Josh Mahoney"!

You mean like Leon Davis? You know, the All-Australian defender who turned 30 halfway through the 2011 season and was then asked to take a 30% pay cut to play on?

Any post that doesn't envisage a position for Jetta as orange boy isn't sensible. He can't get a game for a team much worse than Collingwood. Noble is too small and weak to be a midfielder, and Maynard has no right side and is prone to too many brain fades for the same.

It is a retrograde step in every possible way, and only blind loyalists like yourself would say otherwise.

Given the appalling list management of this club, it wouldn't surprise me.

Your derision of Maynard in the midfield is sure to get some laughs.
No idea what point your making about Leon.
I have confidence in Dunn assisting in vetting Jetta.
And just because i have perspective on ALL issues and you have none is a cross I’ll happily bare.
Now, why don’t you back to the Melb Board and continue telling them Bucks is the AFL’s worst coach despite their insistence its Goodwin.

Last edited:
The game plan aims to prevent us not turning the ball over at our half forward line as that’s one of the leading causes of scores against in the AFL. So we go short as soon as there is nothing up the field we can go to with confidence

The forward pressure is once the ball has reached that area of the ground, we are talking about the ball transition in getting it inside 50 is too slow, nothing to do with forwards, forward pressure is about maintaining the ball inside 50 once it gets there, nothing to do with how we move the ball

Guys, please get this thread back on track and start discussing how we gonna get Merrett and Bailey Smith by offloading the likes of JT and WHE!!

This talk about Jetta is not funny at all :huh:

Rubbish again - we burn players on the lead forward of centre in favour of a short chip forwards or sideways on such a regular basis that it's almost comical.

Seriously have you even watched any of our games over the past 12 months, because what I've described is exactly what happens with our ball movement more often than not and it has nothing to do with forwards not presenting for the ball carrier.

I like Jetta classy player

Didn't someone on here say we had met with Brown 3 times?
I believe it was Brown’s manager we had met with three times. Then someone pointed out that Brown’s manager is also Mihocek’s manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back