Mega Thread Trade/Free Agency Open Discussion - RFC Forum

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
People need to stop wanting to trade pick 12 for no reason it's annoying, if we can get Callum Ah Chee, or clayton oliver, or anyone else who is rated highly then just go to the draft, no pint trading it away for the sake of it
Correct.
Only way give up pick 12 is for a star that would require both this year's and next years 1st. If the doozy doesn't happen we need to keep pick 12.
Yarran
Townsend
Johnson
Anderson (Cherry on top)

None of those require our 1st

Port were going to win the flag after adding Ryder , Norf were going to be their opponents in this years GF after landing Waite and Higgins .
Varcoe was going to put Collingwood into the top 4.
Sydney were going to be unbeatable with the twin towers / Bondi millionaires .
Whilst Melbourne with all their recruits have been coming almost as long as that BJ , my high school sweetheart promised.
If your reading this felicity I haven't forgot , you tease .

Felicity says hi;) She still doesn't give bj's:(

Correct.
Only way give up pick 12 is for a star that would require both this year's and next years 1st. If the doozy doesn't happen we need to keep pick 12.
Yarran
Townsend
Johnson
Anderson (Cherry on top)

None of those require our 1st

Anderson's a jet, he just can't get into the hawks midfield.

Someone requested drafting/recruiting success stories. All of those guys have been successful recruits so far (Tyrone up for debate, but he has turned a corner. Big fellas always take time).
I thought I saw Conca and Batchelor there? Depends what your standards are when you talk about successful
I aim a bit higher so we appear to be on a different page here
Also we need to look beyond mostly first rounders
One average to good pick a year won't get you a flag just on basic maths alone as you need a working group of 28 players plus spare parts

I get the feeling there is a smokey
Gale saying we know what weak spots need to be fixed and Richardson saying Yarran and gws guy is about it are too far apart so I think there is a smokey like trengove last year
Player and club may have agreed and players club agreed to our trade so no reason to spill it out to media

If that was true that would suggest the vendor club thinks we are overpaying

My suspicion would be that we had agreed with player but not told the club as yet

Ah, who knows. Hoping we can improve our position by getting involved in third party trades, at least

Seven of the last eight Jack Dyer medalists in that list, and Riewoldt has won 2 Coleman's and 6 Michael Roach medals with us. No way they'd leave, not in a pink fit and I'm pretty sure our footy department knows a lot more about our list, what's required and how to get there. Much more than we do. Let the trade period pan out and we'll see what comes of it. Bring on Monday.
I'm sure they do, they know we need another quality midfielder a linebreaker who can impact forward and back and ruck depth. Whether they know how to go about getting any of that remains to be seen. Taking our picks to the draft for the third year running is a failure after all they've said the last 5 years.

Maybe they are working on something that isn't common knowledge yet but at the end of the day just because they have weak spots doesn't mean they will be able to get what they want to fix them. Bring in Yarran and one of Dunkley/Oliver/Ah Chee and that's two weak spots addressed (down the track at least). Add Townsend to that mix and we have a big bodied defensive inside mid. We have 3 current all Aus players and another 2 that can make strong claims in any season. More stars would be good but some good to very good players coming in could also be very effective.

The club have said over the last 2-3 years in the lead up to each trade period that we'll be aggressive and then when it comes to the crunch they fail to deliver again and again and again. Yes I've potted the club and I do so when I believe it is warranted. At the start of the year when we started like 2014 revisited. Thankfully it turned around and we made finals again.

As for now, it stems from our list manager coming out the Friday before trade period actually starts and saying in the media that we're giving up on landing anyone outside Yarran as a big name. How the hell should I take it when that happens?

As for the Pies, Cloke is 28 still has 3-4 years to go and they have Moore & Grundy both under 22, above them they have Reid(26) plenty of time for them to find the answer to when Cloke finally moves on. Brown is also 26 and Frost is 23 say to say KPP wise they have plenty of coverage the next few years. As for Swans replacement, gee Treloar & Aish both under 24 would be fairly handy replacements down the track. For all the crap we like to give the Pies they are a club that knows how to rebuild their list from dropping down to being a contender again.

Richardson says we need outside run, Suckling fits that bill perfectly, does he want to come who knows. We haven't even touched base to see if he would want to come across. Selwood addresses the need for an inside midfield also identified by Richardson in that story. Again not even a question asked, he knocks us back so be it, but to not even go and ask about him. If he didn't want to come then look at Redden to address that inside midfield role, apparently we had an interest but nothing solid. Then there is Henderson, if we're hell bent on Yarran why not float 12 & 31 for Yarran and Henderson and address 2 needs.

As for how we bring in younger players down the track if we trade out our early picks this year. We have 24 players under 25 as of now. So we're pretty well stocked for youth and just because we trade out a couple of picks in the first couple of rounds it doesn't mean we're still not adding younger players. In case you forgot it's not just rounds 1 & 2 in the draft that kids are picked up, they can be picked up right through the draft process so we could still add another 5-6 kids this year despite trading out of the first round.

Granted Dan has done a good job in keeping everyone on the list, but he has done so by getting them accept less than they could have got be leaving so that we could attack the trade period this year and yet here we are already hoisting the white flag the Friday before trading begins. If we start to fall down the ladder because those around us improve and pass us some of these guys will be tempted by offers to go elsewhere.

You talk about us having knocked off 3 of the top 4 teams but failing to get the job done when it mattered, how do you expect to rectify that situation without adding some top line talent to help bridge the gap. Natural improvement only takes you so far. Geelong got close to the GF then went and recruited Ottens to take them that next step. Hawthorn stole a flag in 08 and then went and got guys like Gibson Gunston Lake Burgoyne & McEvoy and won 3 straight flags and don't look like slowing down anytime soon. WCE makes the GF and look at add Redden & Jetta to their list to help them, Fremantle are getting Bennell & maybe McCarthy to reload for another tilt at winning the flag. All we're getting is Yarran and Townsend IF Richardson is telling the truth. Not exactly how you build up hopes after hearing the coach and CEO say that the club will be aggressive over the next couple of months to improve the list.

Go debby downer, some of the apologists are starting to sound like the Kool aid drinkers at essendrugs, can't see the wood for the trees, I don't mind praising the club, but when they hoist the white flag like they have......again. They deserve a bollocking

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gale saying we know what weak spots need to be fixed and Richardson saying Yarran and gws guy is about it are too far apart so I think there is a smokey like trengove last year
Player and club may have agreed and players club agreed to our trade so no reason to spill it out to media

lol

Go debby downer, some of the apologists are starting to sound like the Kool aid drinkers at essendrugs, can't see the wood for the trees, I don't mind praising the club, but when they hoist the white flag like they have......again. They deserve a bollocking

Hoisted the white flag? TRADE PERIOD HASN'T EVEN STARTED!!!!

WTF are you people smoking these days.

I gotta take a break from this board, can't believe some of the crap that's being posted by some of the more experienced posters.

4ad90e6f9dd2b65ae8b2a8ca34d14294.gif

Hoisted the white flag? TRADE PERIOD HASN'T EVEN STARTED!!!!

WTF are you people smoking these days.

I gotta take a break from this board, can't believe some of the crap that's being posted by some of the more experienced posters.

4ad90e6f9dd2b65ae8b2a8ca34d14294.gif
there was a "quote" (and im using that term very loosely) from some bullshit "journalist" (again very loosely) that said one of our recruiters had said we've given up trying to land a big name player

People are overreacting with it cos there is no real direct quote. its ****ing ridiculous and pathetic people are melting over some article that has less truth in it than my drunken insane ramblings

there was a "quote" (and im using that term very loosely) from some bullshit "journalist" (again very loosely) that said one of our recruiters had said we've given up trying to land a big name player

People are overreacting with it cos there is no real direct quote. its ******* ridiculous and pathetic people are melting over some article that has less truth in it than my drunken insane ramblings
“We have two needs that we have identified — one a rebounding defender, which is hopefully (Carlton’s) Chris Yarran, and the other is an inside midfielder,” Tigers football boss Dan Richardson said on Friday.

“Ideally we would have liked to have got an elite mid like (Adam) Treloar, but that’s not going to happen.

“We have always liked Jacob and have been tracking him for a couple of years and we feel he is a big-bodied, tough mid that we think can help us. He certainly fills a need.

“He’s obviously not a big name but we are more about needs than names. We’ve had some positive discussions.”

Townsend is out of contract and likely to cost the Tigers a third-round pick at next month’s draft.

Asked if the club would still attempt to land a star midfielder during next week’s trade period, Richardson said: “You never say never, but the reality is we’ve been connected to everyone. Some of it’s true and some of it’s not. If we can bring those two players in we’ll be quite happy.”

“We have two needs that we have identified — one a rebounding defender, which is hopefully (Carlton’s) Chris Yarran, and the other is an inside midfielder,” Tigers football boss Dan Richardson said on Friday.

“Ideally we would have liked to have got an elite mid like (Adam) Treloar, but that’s not going to happen.

“We have always liked Jacob and have been tracking him for a couple of years and we feel he is a big-bodied, tough mid that we think can help us. He certainly fills a need.

“He’s obviously not a big name but we are more about needs than names. We’ve had some positive discussions.”

Townsend is out of contract and likely to cost the Tigers a third-round pick at next month’s draft.

Asked if the club would still attempt to land a star midfielder during next week’s trade period, Richardson said: “You never say never, but the reality is we’ve been connected to everyone. Some of it’s true and some of it’s not. If we can bring those two players in we’ll be quite happy.”
Thats not throwing in the flag like people are claiming, its clear that Yarran and an inside mid (whoever that may be) are the priorities but no where does it say that we're throwing in the towel before trade period.
You never say never, but the reality is we’ve been connected to everyone. Some of it’s true and some of it’s not
i dont know about you guys but to me that says that we are in talks with a player that people are just wishful thinking about - whether we can land him or not is a whole other question

Last edited:

People are overreacting with it cos there is no real direct quote. its ******* ridiculous and pathetic people are melting over some article that has less truth in it than my drunken insane ramblings

And does it really matter if we don't get this supposed 'big fish'? Will the club fold? Does the world end? We haven't lost any talent on the list, if we don't trade for someone we don't lose picks, we head to the draft, and we add to our even more talented list, FFS people really just don't get it, we've had 3 strong years, 3 consecutive finals appearances, something that hasn't been achieved at this club for a very very long time, the team will only get better, with or without this 'big fish'.

Oh the club didn't get Treloar, didn't get Dangerfield.

crying-baby.jpg

Oh the club didn't over pay for spuds in Henderson, Selwood.

crying-baby.jpg

Oh the club didn't go hard enough for Bennell

crying-baby.jpg

We aren't a destination club

crying-baby.jpg

Seriously it's become a joke, and to the people saying that players took under's to get this 'big fish', did you perhaps stop to think, maybe, just maybe they took under's so there was enough to go around for when the younger ones start asking for more that there would be $ there? Shall I bring up the old articles of when GWS tried poaching Martin in his second year for 750k PY? Or when GCS tried poaching Cotchin? Or when Fremantle went very hard after Riewoldt? Or when Hawthorn went hard at Rance?

Yes you can them in a cigarette box :)

I love your drunken insane ramblings. You make more sense than most of us.

There's a touch of the veruca's creeping in. Remember when free agency was first introduced, and they just had to prove what a big club they were by recruiting the biggest name on the market?

I want a doozy and I want it now!!!!!

So they threw 800k at Goddard lol

And does it really matter if we don't get this supposed 'big fish'? Will the club fold? Does the world end? We haven't lost any talent on the list, if we don't trade for someone we don't lose picks, we head to the draft, and we add to our even more talented list, FFS people really just don't get it, we've had 3 strong years, 3 consecutive finals appearances, something that hasn't been achieved at this club for a very very long time, the team will only get better, with or without this 'big fish'.

Oh the club didn't get Treloar, didn't get Dangerfield.

crying-baby.jpg

Oh the club didn't over pay for spuds in Henderson, Selwood.

crying-baby.jpg

Oh the club didn't go hard enough for Bennell

crying-baby.jpg

We aren't a destination club

crying-baby.jpg

Seriously it's become a joke, and to the people saying that players took under's to get this 'big fish', did you perhaps stop to think, maybe, just maybe they took under's so there was enough to go around for when the younger ones start asking for more that there would be $ there? Shall I bring up the old articles of when GWS tried poaching Martin in his second year for 750k PY? Or when GCS tried poaching Cotchin? Or when Fremantle went very hard after Riewoldt? Or when Hawthorn went hard at Rance?
Nope, they definitely took unders to land a big fish. Why do you think Deledio is riding the football department? Our elite talent will be in the back end of their careers before this years draft crop are making an impact on finals, they want success now, not after they have retired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back