Mega Thread Trade/Free Agency Open Discussion - RFC Forum

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Had a chat to a mate of mine who has been reliable in the past. Wasn't really expecting he'd have much on day one, but our conversations always seem to find their way to list management.

As always, happy to pass on what I hear. And as always, there are no guarantees in life.

1. Carlton aren't getting pick 12. However we are confident that Yarran will get to us, for a mutually acceptable pick.

2. We have no confidence in the mid to late draft. We'd rather trade later picks for players with a few years of development under their belts. There are at least four players we are considering, might pick up two of them depending on how the period goes. Apparently building midfield depth is a priority.

3. Upgrading picks is firmly on the agenda. We've had plenty of enquiries re players who aren't getting regular senior opportunity.

4. Belief at the club is that we've dodged a massive bullett with Bennell. Full story hasn't made it to the media, and isn't likely to be revealed - the club isn't in the business of kicking blokes when they're down. (Personally I wish him well at Freo).

5. We are in serious talks with a contracted player. His club will not want to trade him. We believe the right offer (picks plus player), along with salary cap pressure, might just shake him loose. Prepared to give quality to get quality. Will be massive if it comes off. Midfielder. (And no, I don't have the name.)

So yeah, not a lot that's particularly exciting, with the exception of what seems like a long shot.... Still, plenty of water to flow under the bridge before the trade period ends.

If I hear more, I'll post it.

Because if Miles goes down and Matt Thomas goes down then we're (even more) stuffed.

That's the point.

There's 44 blokes on a list. Not every one of them can be a superstar who will drag us into the top 4.

I understand depth, but if that's all Moore is we may aswell have kept McDonough or Arnot. I maybe underselling Moore, but what I've seen of him had underwhelmed me to say the least..

LOL, Moore has better numbers, shits all over Young

Some posters wont be happy unless we recruit 5/6 big names.
Young has been smashed by the vest. Think he holds the record for most matches in the green vest. Young has overtaken Moore in Ports depth chart IMO

I understand depth, but if that's all Moore is we may aswell have kept McDonough or Arnot. I maybe underselling Moore, but what I've seen of him had underwhelmed me to say the least..
Yeah the club obviously didn't think much of Arnott and rate Moore over him. McDonough is a different player so I understand why we'd bring in Moore and move McDonough on. Also heard some whispers that McDonough may have had enough and could've played on if he wanted.

Because if Miles goes down anhomas goes down then we're (even more) stuffed.

That's the point.

There's 44 blokes on a list. Not every one of them can be a superstar who will drag us into the top 4.

Actually that is not point IMO.

We are in the business of winning premierships not avoiding the spoon!

You don't chase quality players with a third round draft pick. He's there as mature depth and would improve our 20-30th best players on the team. The club knows best, they spend hours on this kind of shit.

Obviously they know best mate, and if Moore come in then fine. But it seems all we do is bring in cheap, low risk depth options. I hope he goes on and becomes a decent player, but not holding my breath.

Because if Miles goes down and Matt Thomas goes down then we're (even more) stuffed.

That's the point.

Hawthorn and Geelong have/had plenty of solid citizens who played their roles to perfection. If Moore and Townsend become better than Gordon, McDonough, Thomas etc then it's a win at little cost.

Had a chat to a mate of mine who has been reliable in the past. Wasn't really expecting he'd have much on day one, but our conversations always seem to find their way to list management.

As always, happy to pass on what I hear. And as always, there are no guarantees in life.

1. Carlton aren't getting pick 12. However we are confident that Yarran will get to us, for a mutually acceptable pick.

2. We have no confidence in the mid to late draft. We'd rather trade later picks for players with a few years of development under their belts. There are at least four players we are considering, might pick up two of them depending on how the period goes. Apparently building midfield depth is a priority.

3. Upgrading picks is firmly on the agenda. We've had plenty of enquiries re players who aren't getting regular senior opportunity.

4. Belief at the club is that we've dodged a massive bullett with Bennell. Full story hasn't made it to the media, and isn't likely to be revealed - the club isn't in the business of kicking blokes when they're down. (Personally I wish him well at Freo).

5. We are in serious talks with a contracted player. His club will not want to trade him. We believe the right offer (picks plus player), along with salary cap pressure, might just shake him loose. Prepared to give quality to get quality. Will be massive if it comes off. Midfielder. (And no, I don't have the name.)

So yeah, not a lot that's particularly exciting, with the exception of what seems like a long shot.... Still, plenty of water to flow under the bridge before the trade period ends.

If I hear more, I'll post it.
cheers Snout.
For any newer posters I'd take this post far more seriously than most others you've seen in the last few weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly... I have no problem with trading for more mature players but Moore has done nothing at AFL level. Guys like Townsend and Colledge are younger and have great chance to develop. May as well have got Patrick Karnezis

1443578062301.jpg

Just didn't want this to get lost in all the uninspiring crap coming out of RFC at the moment.
No thanks required.

That's the point.

If Miles goes down we are stuffed. That's the point. If we are relying on Mattress Thomarse then we may as well bring out the table with the cards.
Some poster hit it on the head earlier we need to elevate to a top four spot . Yep Moore replaces Arnot , but is it an improvement ?
There should be no reason for Thomarse to be on an afl list
It reeks of mediocrity as he is there to only replace Cotchin or some injured mid , but will not play in key games or finals. So saying all this give a future player a game

Last edited:
Exactly... I have no problem with trading for more mature players but Moore has done nothing at AFL level. Guys like Townsend and Colledge are younger and have great chance to develop. May as well have got Patrick Karnezis
Karnezis has shown FA and been around a while, not dissimilar to Moore really. Sounds like we'll get Townsend too who they may see as a more likely option but think Moore is just around for depth. Don't know enough about Colledge but sounds like there's too much of a bidding war for us. If it's one thing we're good at its knowing when to say stop.

If Miles goes down we are stuffed. That's the point. If we are relying on Mattress Thomarse then we may as well bring out the table with the cards.
Nail wax hit on the head earlier we need to elevate to a top four spot . Yep Moore replaces Arnot , but is it an improvement ?
There should be no reason for Thomarse to be on an afl list
It reeks of mediocrity as he is there to only replace Cotchin or some injured mid , but will not play in key games or finals. So saying all this give a future player a game
Yeah but we can't just bring in top quality players as depth guys. Suggest Townsend will replace Thomas but don't forget how good Thomas was against Essendon. He's no scrub.

I'm sure we're trying to bring in quality guys as well but obviously we don't rate the draft and think Moore is better than the kid we will draft with the pick we trade for him. Really we're not giving up anything and if he makes our list a little bit deeper then it can't be a bad thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back