List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency Part 10

Do you support the club trading for picks 2 and/or 3?

• Yes Trade for 2 & 3

• Yes But Only For 2 or 3

• No

• Unsure

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade 21,22 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 Zero chance, not in a strong draft

Those picks will be late 20's by the time we get to select players with them. If you could get f1 picks for them it would be worth considering but Richmond, like other clubs, would need to weight the expected value of the future pick against the players still available. Part of the value of any f1 pick might also come from its potential trade value as well, which could really escalate if the counter party did a Collingwood.

I just don't think the club would or should have a pre-conceived certain idea of what it will do with those picks.

Things we want/need to happen that Blair MUST be a hard ass about

* Make Sure we extract full value out of GC , Rioli & Dusty getting touched up we must get #6 & #12 even if wwe have to pay the entire Rioli salary for the remaining 3 years. This is critical

* DO NOT ACCEPT anything less than #10 & #11 for Bolton , Even if it means not trading him and holding him to his contract. Fremantle have shown they are the team that does not budge when trading out contracted players so they need to be on the other end and if they want any of Bolton salary paid then thats extra pick. If you cant afford him dont go shopping

* Jack Graham , I hope this bluff pays off and we get #22 , This pick will be priceless in combination with #21
Both these selections could attract F1 offers or some top rated kids slide that we have rated as top 10 picks and we get a bargain.

* Liam Baker , Hawks pick #12 would be fantastic but i honestly cant see the eagles trading that out so #10 + Baker for #3 is the best scenario if not the #23+F2. Again in combination with #21 , #22 the pick #23 could mean we have full domination of 3 early picks on the 2nd day and that is also a very good tactical position.

* Brisbane's pick #14 (assuming they lose tonight)
This is almost a given now that we make the play for this pick but it will cost us a fair bit imo 29,39,41,47 (1827 points)
Should get the deal done.

#1 , #3 , #6 , #9 , #14 , #21 , #22 , #57 , #66 , #73 , #75

Use the #1 , #3 , #6 , #9 , #14
Trade #21 , #22 into 2025
Select Davidson with #57

Try to move 66,73,77 (they will come in by around 15 spots due to all the father sons and academy selections) into 3rd rounders next year if possible

Wow your negotiating skills are lousy. Brisbane's pick 15 is worth 1112 (was 1161) points as of now you don't trade 1827 points for 1112 points. You maybe give them picks 39, 41, 47 and 57 which equals 446 + 412+ 316 + 182 for a total of 1356 points for their pick 15 (1112 points).

Our most powerful bargaining chip is we can bid on Ashcroft at pick 1 or not. By not bidding on him at pick 1 we automatically save them from using 2400 points to 2013 points. If they can do some favourable swap with North using our picks so they don't bid either and we don't bid at 3 they can at most have to use 1600 points at pick 4. Voila we just kindly, generously saved them 800 points. You fail to realise that once we've bled FOLD Coast and Freo of their picks we're basically Shylock and everybody is desperate to get into this draft. And seeings it's the best draft since 2001, prices are at a premium.

Also the club would have rocks in their heads to trade picks 21 and 22 prior to closure of draft night 1. Since the experts are saying the top 30- 40 is insane this year. There's gonna be sliders galore. There will be 5 or 6+ clubs fighting over kids they rated at pick 10 who's still on the board and 1 or 2 clubs (especially those in the window) will pay an absolute premium to get them off us.

chrome_screenshot_15 Sept 2024 1_33_10 am AEST.png

Those picks will be late 20's by the time we get to select players with them. If you could get f1 picks for them it would be worth considering but Richmond, like other clubs, would need to weight the expected value of the future pick against the players still available. Part of the value of any f1 pick might also come from its potential trade value as well, which could really escalate if the counter party did a Collingwood.

I just don't think the club would or should have a pre-conceived certain idea of what it will do with those picks.
The pick number doesn't matter as much as the pick order. So long as there are not a heap of first or end of first rounder compensation then those picks are still rather high.

It's like saying that this year's pick one should be packaged up for F1 next year because it will be pushed back to pick 3 or more if we (based on current pre trade draft picks) bid on Ashcroft and Lombard.

All the players in the academies and F/s are only really left on the board as options for other clubs to maximise the value paid by the other club.

We need future firsts for when we trade for Tom Green 😀
Yeah, I was thinking about that while watching last night's match. The bloke was playing out of his skin - clear B.O.G., at least for the first 100 minutes of game time, playing in front of his home crowd, just about a full squad of Giants to pick from at the pinnacle of their careers, and in a cut-throat semi final in what will be the only final they get on their own deck.

But there was as many empty seats as occupied ones. With virtually no atmosphere or "19th Man" to help create that inertia when the goals were flowing, or rally support when the oppo started to get their tails up.

Tom Green wasn't around in 2017 when the Giants had to play in front of 90k+ Tiger fans in that MCG Prelim, but as a future academy pick and of Tiger heritage he was probably watching intently. And he was definitely playing last year in front of 97k against Collingwood in last year's MCG Preliminary Final, so he knows what that atmosphere looks like.

It's not getting any better for Tom Green at the Giants after last night. There's nothing to suggest that home crowd support will improve for the remainder of his Giants career, beyond a small marquee with about 50 "Tom Green Stand" theatre goers at his home matches.

Surely the fire will be lit in him to consider a move to Tigerland as he reflects upon another empty season during the upcoming summer?

Just for the record, he's a free agent at the end of 2027 when his current contract terminates at GWS. At the same time that Tasmania enter the league, and our 3-4 year rebuild of gun youngsters is hopefully complete and we know what our hand looks like.

Yeah, I was thinking about that while watching last night's match. The bloke was playing out of his skin - clear B.O.G., at least for the first 100 minutes of game time, playing in front of his home crowd, just about a full squad of Giants to pick from at the pinnacle of their careers, and in a cut-throat semi final in what will be the only final they get on their own deck.

But there was as many empty seats as occupied ones. With virtually no atmosphere or "19th Man" to help create that inertia when the goals were flowing, or rally support when the oppo started to get their tails up.

Tom Green wasn't around in 2017 when the Giants had to play in front of 90k+ Tiger fans in that MCG Prelim, but as a future academy pick and of Tiger heritage he was probably watching intently. And he was definitely playing last year in front of 97k against Collingwood in last year's MCG Preliminary Final, so he knows what that atmosphere looks like.

It's not getting any better for Tom Green at the Giants after last night. There's nothing to suggest that home crowd support will improve for the remainder of his Giants career, beyond a small marquee with about 50 "Tom Green Stand" theatre goers at his home matches.

Surely the fire will be lit in him to consider a move to Tigerland as he reflects upon another empty season during the upcoming summer?

Just for the record, he's a free agent at the end of 2027 when his current contract terminates at GWS. At the same time that Tasmania enter the league, and our 3-4 year rebuild of gun youngsters is hopefully complete and we know what our hand looks like.
I would hope in 3-4 years Richmond has enough talent that they don't have to chase Tom Green.

I would hope in 3-4 years Richmond has enough talent that they don't have to chase Tom Green.
No club has that much talent that they wouldn’t chase Tom Green. Especially if he was a FA.

No club has that much talent that they wouldn’t chase Tom Green. Especially if he was a FA.
I would assume Richmond has been building its midfield and the wear and tare on Tom Green might make his recruitment questionable.

Agree. He plays such a physical crash and bash inside role, I also wonder how long he will be playing at this level.
By 2028 he could be washed up.
They were saying that about Patrick Cripps 6-7 years ago too. No way an up and coming team like Gold Coast or Hawthorn (or Carlton!) wouldn't have grabbed him when he was FA eligible 3 years ago.

The pick number doesn't matter as much as the pick order. So long as there are not a heap of first or end of first rounder compensation then those picks are still rather high.

It's like saying that this year's pick one should be packaged up for F1 next year because it will be pushed back to pick 3 or more if we (based on current pre trade draft picks) bid on Ashcroft and Lombard.

All the players in the academies and F/s are only really left on the board as options for other clubs to maximise the value paid by the other club.
Yeah it always looks bad when your pick gets pushed back because of bids but you're not planning on taking the kid thats being bid on anyway so the pool of available players doesnt change, that's the key.

I fondly remember Michael playing 67 ~ mid 70s... winning 4 flags. Great ruckman. Sadly, grandson Tom born in Qld, raised in the ACT, living in Sydney. Giants academy player.
Extended his contract once already. I think
Didn't B. Gale have some conversation with Michael a couple of years ago?
Dunno if the appeal of living in Melbourne vs Sydney would be a factor.

He is used to GWS level crowds. Playing well with GWS might even be a captain there.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need talent now, in a draft that’s reputed to be very deep. We will use any pick in the top 30 this year as a result, why wait until next year when you already know it’s there this year?? Would be bat sh!t crazy

We're not taking 9 picks in the draft. The club has already said we're going to spread picks out over multiple years so at best we are taking 6-7.

Presumably that'll be 1,6,9,10,15,21,29. I also think it'll be likely we will get future picks from Freo or west coast so the hand above won't be as good as that

I hope we don't try to get that pick- they want too much.
Baker+10 for pick 3 would be ideal
Have 1,3,6,9 and so on
It depends if Norf want someone at 2 that they're confident of getting at 6. Then they won't ask for too much, because whatever they get will be better than nothing if they don't do the trade.

Splitting picks this year is a bit easier because most clubs want more picks due to the depth of the draft. We're probably the only exception because we will likely have an oversupply.

It depends if Norf want someone at 2 that they're confident of getting at 6. Then they won't ask for too much, because whatever they get will be better than nothing if they don't do the trade.

Splitting picks this year is a bit easier because most clubs want more picks due to the depth of the draft. We're probably the only exception because we will likely have an oversupply.

Yeh but say they want 6 & 10, that feels like too much for pick 2. Not sure they're going to bite for 6 & 21 and again having 21 is such a good pick with options attached to it on the 2nd night.

I'd prefer a 1,3,6,10,21 hand over 1,2,9,21 or 1,2,9,10

6 is in a good place that a highly rated player in the top 4 is likely to fall if North & Dees both reach for talls.

Report saying pick 12 from Gold Coast for Rioli like it would be a good price lol Pick 12 would be 13 due to Ashcroft bid, then if Saints get band 1 that's pick 14 and if Lombard gets bid that's pick 15.

**** off

Last edited:
Jon Ralph saying pick 12 from Gold Coast for Rioli like it would be a good price lol Pick 12 would be 13 due to Ashcroft bid, then if Saints get band 1 that's pick 14 and if Lombard gets bid that's pick 15.

**** off Jon
campaigners been talking ridiculous overs for our players and then says that? He's all over the shop haha

I honesty don't want pick two.

The talk forever has been how even the first round is. If that's the case the clubs with the top six picks might conceivable have six different players in mind as to who they consider six best. If we keep six (assuming we get it) we might well end up with a player we ranked second anyhow or at worst the third. To give away picks 6 and 10 (worst case I know) is insanity. Even 6 and a later pick seems completely unnecessary to me.

If we have too many picks then simply trade them into next years draft. We aren't Gold Coast where we can just fritter them away.

Because the kid that goes number 1 gets some extra benefits on the night and would be pretty shitty of us to take that away from the kid we actually want to take at number 1.
IMG_7787.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency Part 10

Back