List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency Part 10

Do you support the club trading for picks 2 and/or 3?

• Yes Trade for 2 & 3

• Yes But Only For 2 or 3

• No

• Unsure

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Something tells me we won’t get the picks we all expect to get for Rioli/Bakes/Shai.
Surprised Nicolas Cage GIF

Chad Warner contract extension really would lift the Swans ahead of the GF c’mon

Trade bell on SEN today

Sam Edmund

This is listeners message

Butters planning to return home end of next season

Sam’s mail

Liam Baker still undecided waiting for coach to be appointed at WC

Lukosius on a backended contract, over 1 mill for next 2 years , going to Port

Blues big on Houston and favs to land him. Future picks likely for this trade

SDK - no chance he’ll be traded
How could baker be undecided , ffs it’s nearly October . Tellya a curve ball , once we do satisfactory deals on Rioli and Bolton leaving a vacuum in our tpp , I’d comfortably throw an extra 150 a year on the table for bakes with the captaincy and give him something to think about

From Cal Twomey, Freo will offer pick 10 for Baker and Eagles will offer pick 13. Depends on who Baker chooses but all the way through baker has wanted to know how the deals will get done.
What dh wa supporters think is that a bloke reviewing multi million dollar deals would throw caution to the wind and go into the psd , that’s reserved for jacked off wantaways that cgaf about the club they’re departing coz they weren’t getting a game most weeks

Bakes is an esteemed dual premiership legend, couldn’t be any more different

Define remotely competitive?

The odds are we won't play 42 players again next season.

The odds are we will win more than 2 games.

We were competitive in most games in 2024. Couldn't compete for long enough but that happens.

Not enough uninjured players to learn and train a new gameplan by a new coach.

It's never as good or as bad as it seems.
We could win more games next year than last year and still finish last.
The reality is NM and to a lesser extent WC are a couple of years into drafting elite talent, we are just starting,
And we’re losing 3 of our top 5-6 players.
Even if we have a good run with injury , it’s hard to see us getting above 17.
It’s not all doom and gloom though, as supporters we get to sit back and watch our kids from this draft and the next few drafts develop and 🤞 become Premiership players post 2027

How could baker be undecided , ffs it’s nearly October . Tellya a curve ball , once we do satisfactory deals on Rioli and Bolton leaving a vacuum in our tpp , I’d comfortably throw an extra 150 a year on the table for bakes with the captaincy and give him something to think about
I don’t think $$ is the issue with Baker, he’s returning home for other reasons.
I’ve heard some arguments about getting him to stay an extra year, so he becomes a FA, but this is the year to get as many r1 picks as possible.
Can’t see anyway he stays

Collingwood 2005 Bottom ..grabbed Thomas and Pendlebury ..won it in 2010
Leon Davis, Ben Johnson, Alan Didak, Dane Swan, Nick Maxwell, Heath Shaw, Travis Cloke and Harry O’Brien were all on their list before that “bottom out”.

There’s a difference between dipping and gutting your list and doing a full rebuild. Collingwood did the former. We’re doing the latter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Puts Geelong right in the frame if he makes the move, will probably have the cap space as well with Danger towards the end
Goes to a side that also losses prelims.🤣

I think it's fairly safe to say that if Houston was headed to Carlton - then their pick 11 would have to be used.

Why would Port let them keep that and roll the dice in a weaker draft for a pick that would likely be (after academy and father and son picks) in the 20's. Absolutely zero chance that happens
That’s what SOS would’ve offered. Probably still the same mentality

You said no club had ever bottomed out and rebounded quickly. Hawthorn did as they went 2nd last 2004 & 3rd last 2005 got to add some top end talent to a list that had some experienced players and promising youth.

They got Hodge Mitchell & Ladson as 2001 draftees that only came to Hawthorn after they traded out Croad and McPharlin to get the picks that would land Hodge and Mitchell. 2021 we added 5 kids inside the top 30, granted not the same quality as the 3 Hawks, but all promising youth.

We currently hold pick 1, will be trading out similar quality players that Hawthorn did, to bring in top rated young talent in what could be a similar style super draft with the quality and depth this year and could also get another crop in 2025 as well. Which is similar to what Hawthorn did in 2004 & 2005 when they 'bottomed out'.

So who is to say that the likes of Nankervis Taranto Vlastuin Broad Hopper Short & Balta can't be our version of Crawford, Croad, Williams, Bateman, Osborne and Sewell as experienced senior players who with an injection of talent over a few years get an unlikely shot at a flag?

When you look at it we're similarly positioned to Hawthorn in 2004 and are about to add some high end talent to the list over the next 2 years. Again not saying we'll repeat what Hawthorn did, but I don't believe it's as ridiculous as people may think as we sit here today. Need to get things right in terms of the draft and any experienced players we bring in as well.
I did not say that at all. There are multiple examples of clubs dipping then winning a flag which I mentioned before you quoted me. Richmond dipped before our flag in 17, Melbourne dipped before their flag in 21 and Collingwood dipped before their flag in 23.

None of these clubs finished dead last on the ladder after winning two games for the season and then gut their list by trading away arguably 3 of their best 5 players and had a handful of significant retirements. They all had an existing group of players prior to their dip which meant they could re-launch quickly after a reset. They are not comparable to the current Richmond. We are overhauling our entire list and do not have anything remotely similar to the quality of personnel that those sides had before they dipped.

All promising? Really? I beg to differ. Sonsie won’t get another contract. Gibcus is coming off two separate season long injuries that are extremely concerning for a player of his age. Tom Brown is serviceable and will be for the rest of his career. Clarke is a fringe player coming off an ACL. Banks has barely shown anything at AFL level despite playing the easiest role in footy. Big stretch calling them promising.

I think my definition of bottoming out is more stringent than yours. Bottom literally means the lowest point. Hawthorn never finished last or were bottom four for a prolonged period. Real bottoming out are the examples I have mentioned - Richmond, Melbourne, Carlton and now North Melbourne, West Coast and us again.

In four years time Broad will be 35, Vlastuin and Nankervis will be 34 and Short will be 32. I’d be surprised if any of them are on our list in 2028. Hopper is bang average and his body looks shot. Could lump him with the others. Taranto and Balta are good players but Hawthorn’s crop of Hodge, Crawford, Bateman, Sewell, Croad, Mitchell, etc. is a much better base than Taranto and Balta.

We are not Hawthorn 2004. We are North Melbourne 2022. Strap yourself in. It’s going to be a long ride back.

Another Cumbo fanboy not prepared to admit to misjudging his ability/worth. A total spud who would provide zero to our list and is a bad example of what’s required to young draftees coming in. Rather take an extra draftee or a mature age player from VFL or lesser comp. His time is up.

I guess we are all allowed an opinion, yours just seems way too personal. Hope he gets another year just for your melts

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Leon Davis, Ben Johnson, Alan Didak, Dane Swan, Nick Maxwell, Heath Shaw, Travis Cloke and Harry O’Brien were all on their list before that “bottom out”.

There’s a difference between dipping and gutting your list and doing a full rebuild. Collingwood did the former. We’re doing the latter.
The question was has anybody done it in a brief timeframe ..they did ...they bottomed out . They won it 5 years later ...the original question didn't ask anything about who was already on the list ...pretty obvious strawman reply

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency Part 10

Back