List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency Part 10

Do you support the club trading for picks 2 and/or 3?

• Yes Trade for 2 & 3

• Yes But Only For 2 or 3

• No

• Unsure

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

1728031802671.png

Trade & Free Agency Dates

Free Agency Period - Friday October 4th 9am to Friday October 11th 5pm

Trade Period - Monday 7th October 9am to Wednesday October 16th 7.30pm

Richmond have been linked to the following players:
Ben Hobbs
Elijah Tsatas
Jai Culley
Connor Stone
Jacob Konstanty

Last edited:
for those that may not know David Walls is the son of richmond ex coach and Carlton Hall of Famer, Robert Walls, our worst coach in my memory the northey/walls swap i still have nightmares about.
as a Channel 7 commentator Walls also gave Fremantle players all the votes when the Tigers flogged them by 16 goals.

I don’t even remember that haha what a vvanker

the system around Free Agency is one of the dumbest ive seen in any sport.

Why not just do it like the US. You lose a player through Free Agency, you get nothing but the cap space? The NBA trading system works very well IMO - not this winning lotto on compo picks - if you lose a player in free agency for nothing, then that is poor list management
Playing rosters vs talent pool I probably a bit different though.
We can't just copy and paste because a system works somewhere else, we need to make something that suits our circumstances.
Something needs to change though.

Playing rosters vs talent pool I probably a bit different though.
We can't just copy and paste because a system works somewhere else, we need to make something that suits our circumstances.
Something needs to change though.

I get your point, but even copy/pasting it over with its flaws feels better than McKay claiming pick 2. Its at the top end of the scale where it gets grossly ridiculous.

If the issue is talent pool distribution, then maybe you just create salary groups & add quota's to them, & clubs cannot exceed that number of players in each price bracket range. ie like like below, but with much better researched numbers. I am just doing random amounts.

Ie:
Tier 1 $1,000,000 >3

Tier 2 $850,000 - $999,999 >6

Tier $750,000 - $849,000 >8

I would only have 3 tiers of salary, everything below that would be "unranked". To build in more flexibility, the club can sell Tier Spots to other Tiers to allow for signings. So if a team wants to sign another Tier 1 player IE they can sell 2xTier2 slots to get 1xTier 1 spot. It would ensure you can still end up with different balance teams as its sometimes very fun to see a team be very top loaded trying to win with a lot of group of un-tiered players etc, or vice versa.

By creating slots for top tier players, it would mean losing a player for no return but their contract has added meaning as it might be "we are losing Liam Baker, but we now have money to sign up to 2xTier1's, or sell them both & be able to sign up to 10xTier2s ( ie 4 ontop of the standard allocated 6 Tier 2 above). Giving over-inflated draft picks for players not worth for poor list management and losing is a broken system & it just compromises the draft order every single year.
With all the other "exceptions" they have in the draft for f/s, academy players - its all over the shop.

The biggest thing you would need to do is have young players tied to their clubs on longer contracts & club gets answering rights on first extension (which the nba actually does). It means a player would come in on a 2xyear rookie deal then at the end of that contract the player can accept offers from other clubs, however the club which drafted him gets the option to match the deal & keep their services. If that happens, then the 2 clubs would need to make a deal to get the player across. Players then would all become unrestricted free agents after first extension expires & if they sign elsewhere, the club loses them for naught. Clubs would then need to start considering trading players a year before their contract ends if the player refuses to re-sign. This system works best when a club can trade a player to any team without their consent, unless, that player had previously negotiated a "No Trade Clause" into their contract - then both parties would need to agree to that condition prior, giving the player the right to refuse the trade.

the system around Free Agency is one of the dumbest ive seen in any sport.

Why not just do it like the US. You lose a player through Free Agency, you get nothing but the cap space? The NBA trading system works very well IMO - not this winning lotto on compo picks - if you lose a player in free agency for nothing, then that is poor list management
Yes it has problems, but the US system has its own problems. Can space means nothing when no one wants to come to our team.
FA EXTREMELY benefits large market teams and does nothing for small market teams but takes players from them.

You don't want that system. As on OKC fan, losing one of the best players in the league (KD) to the best team in the league all those years ago with nothing in return was awful. Seeing your teem go from genuine contender to not good enough with no ability to improve is a so trash for a supproter.

for those that may not know David Walls is the son of richmond ex coach and Carlton Hall of Famer, Robert Walls, our worst coach in my memory the northey/walls swap i still have nightmares about.
as a Channel 7 commentator Walls also gave Fremantle players all the votes when the Tigers flogged them by 16 goals.
Fyfe also got the 3 Brownlow votes that day, if we are talking about the same game.

28 pages later and

- still no decision between FOS and Jagga

- mayor posters still flirting as cringeworthy as ever… (you know who you are 🏳️‍🌈)

- ex bomber turned into premiership gun retired early before any temptation of going back to that shit stain of a club.

- Bolton is worth every bit of a top 5 pick let alone 9 & 10.. pay up like we know u little inferior brother of WA

- Baker and Graham will be Eagles next Captain and VC so absolute max value for their trades

No it would be before norths two compo pick's from last year which are now held by Swans and GC
So it would be pick 21 straight after lions pick 20. Swans pick 21 would go to 22 and GC pick 22 would go to 23 and our first pick of the second round would be 24

View attachment 2131971
Can not believe GWS has that draft hand after losing 3 average role players...

I remember getting the whole Eagles midfield to play alongside a freshly drafted Deledio once for a packet of chips

I tore my bicep off and was bedridden in 2017. The surgeon suggested lots of video games as part of my rehab and I was playing the AFL on PS4. I played full seasons as Tigers of course and only change I made was Lynch in and Elton out Castagna swapped for Breust too. (Never got over picking Conca over him after Shifter and Wallace said he's a ready made Richo replacement and Tiges would be mad not to take him on TAC future stars) Lynch made us unbeatable and kept wishing we'd get him and who knew. Was like destiny.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Battle netting aints a band 1 1st rounder is a farce. If the Tigers working in cahoots with Clarke and Mini mouse can't finagle band 3 pick 24 for Graham then someone's head needs to roll. Band 4 would net us something like pick 44? (After other FA?) by the time FS and Academy picks it will blow out to a near worthless pick in the 50's. The Bowes deal shows the rorts and collusion that the AFL sign off on so surely us kicking in a couple hundred grand over life of his contract to guarantee that band 3 is triggered would be the best money ever spent. Hell if the club is so flush with cash they can pay for 3 more years of Samson's horse 💩 and Colina to lay in bed watching Sjene proslosti whilst gorging on spicy cevapi then why not? I can't believe this portly worthless prima donna has dragged this out another few days, whilst players who were in finals have their 💩 together. God Graham just reeks of incompetence. Want him gone so bad lol

If Graham goes to Westcoast.
Band 1 = pick 2. 1st rnd pick.
Band 2 = pick 21. End of 1st rnd.
Band 3 = pick 25. 2nd rnd pick.
Band 4 = pick 39. End of 2nd rnd.
Band 5 = pick 40. 3 rnd pick.
Bands 1, 3 & 5 are after your pick in that round based on your finishing position at the end of the season.
With previous Richmond free agents leaving the AFL usually down grade our compensation. So I suspect we will be lucky to get band3.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Chol 4 years @ 450k. Got us Band 4.

What will Graham be on? 650+ ? So, yeah band 3 seems right.

Last edited:
The carry on about compensation picks is full of hypocrisy.

We've got posters complaining about 'spuds' from other sides netting their teams band 1/2 compensation, but then also wanting our own 'spud' in Graham to net us band 2 or 3 compensation if he departs.

The reasoning for the compensation picks is quite simple, the players are subject to bidding wars, which elevates their contract value and eventually their current club is going to reach a point where letting them depart is worth more than having them stay, both due to them being uncomfortable in paying the money required and the pick they get in return.

As mentioned we're in the same position with Graham. We want him to stay, but aren't going to overpay for that to happen, so have been upping our offer to either match or better what WCE are offering. Eventually we'll reach a point where it's better for us to allow him to depart and take the compensation.

IMO the reason we haven't seen a deal for Graham being tabled yet is because the 2 clubs decided to hold off to see what sort of compensation others got so they could then do a deal that nets us a band 2 or 3 pick but doesn't force the Eagles to overpay for him or we can then make an offer that allows us to re-sign him without overpaying ourselves.

FWIW I expect that we'll see his decision being made across the weekend and Graham likely departs for the Eagles and gets us a band 2/3 pick and we'll then do a pretty simple deal for Baker, which I wouldn't be shocked to see it being their 2024 & 2025 R2 picks.

Hi **** the afl for the battle compo bye

On a serious note the compo system needs to go - clubs will simply trade players the year before and get a fairer value for them than the AFL handing out unpredictable political rubbish.

it is good thing, it creates competition and eliminates control freaks that ruin the game

The carry on about compensation picks is full of hypocrisy.

We've got posters complaining about 'spuds' from other sides netting their teams band 1/2 compensation, but then also wanting our own 'spud' in Graham to net us band 2 or 3 compensation if he departs.

The reasoning for the compensation picks is quite simple, the players are subject to bidding wars, which elevates their contract value and eventually their current club is going to reach a point where letting them depart is worth more than having them stay, both due to them being uncomfortable in paying the money required and the pick they get in return.

As mentioned we're in the same position with Graham. We want him to stay, but aren't going to overpay for that to happen, so have been upping our offer to either match or better what WCE are offering. Eventually we'll reach a point where it's better for us to allow him to depart and take the compensation.

IMO the reason we haven't seen a deal for Graham being tabled yet is because the 2 clubs decided to hold off to see what sort of compensation others got so they could then do a deal that nets us a band 2 or 3 pick but doesn't force the Eagles to overpay for him or we can then make an offer that allows us to re-sign him without overpaying ourselves.

FWIW I expect that we'll see his decision being made across the weekend and Graham likely departs for the Eagles and gets us a band 2/3 pick and we'll then do a pretty simple deal for Baker, which I wouldn't be shocked to see it being their 2024 & 2025 R2 picks.
Cbs No GIF by HULU

Would we entertain the idea of trading lynch to Brisbane for a future first there is every chance they could have a premiership hangover I don’t think they have B2B in them

i do not care if they have B2B in them.

I think they do and Lynch is a fool if he does not go because you only have one life, he can make new friends enjoy more success and come back again anyway, does not need to sell a house only up there for a year or two if he is really successful maybe more but still it is plain negative stupidity not to go and it helps RFC club

Even if future first from Brisbane is 18 next year it is still a win for Lynch, RFC and the Lions

People need to get it through their head the critical path for us is the draftees coming through this year and next etc...

our last premiership was 2020 and the likes of Bolton are only relevant because they are young and we and him have tme on our hands to grow as do our other youngsters

I am sorry but new stars are coming to RFC this year and in the coming years and some looking back need to get over that fact!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency Part 10

Back