Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Jack Graham

Votes: 54 38.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oppo fans and Tiger hating journos are dreading the thought of us getting half a dozen top-20 picks and are doing whatever they can to talk down the trade value of our players.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

You only have to visit the draft board to see exactly that. West Coast fans don't want Freo doing that trade is the one that amuses me, since when have eagles fans cared about Freo? This is more about not wanting us to get a half a dozen top picks while they remain shit.

That is just one example I've picked out, our trading threads get a large number of posters from teams who don't have anything to do with it, it screams of jealousy.

Now you have a journo whose team has been shit for 20+ years also jumping on the jealousy train.

And as if Shai Bolton's trade value would be set based on what he has done in 2024 in a wooden spoon team with a totally misfiring forward line and nothing else. He is 25 and was the 19th highest rated player in the AFL in 2023, and the 17th highest in 2022, so fringe top 1 player for an average team. But his ratings aren't derived from being fed the ball at all costs like some who rated above him. Most of his playing time has been spent standing ahead of the ball, or in centre bounces. So he is in the areas where it is hardest to get the ball but easiest to have the most impact when you do get it. In 2022 Bolton was THE HIGHEST RATED player defined as a forward in the AFL. He was miles ahead of any other player defined as a forward and was being spoken about as the best player in the game for a period. In 2023 he was also the highest rated player in the AFL defined as a forward.

Everyone knows his dip in output in 2025 is due to the team malfunctioning and if he played in a competitive team he is right up there, likely somewhere around Izak Rankine levels. Go and offer Adelaide pick 10 and a second rounder for a contracted Rankine and see how long that conversation lasts. Offer them picks 9 & 10, they are not even contemplating it. Offer them 3 & 10 they still almost certainly say no. Bolton is just 16 months older than Rankine, has proven he can play in Premiership teams twice over, and maybe Rankine is a slightly better player, but there wouldn't be loads in it. These players are amongst the most valuable 10-20 players in the AFL and are probably about the hardest to find. It is tough enough to find a prime Wingard, Robbie Gray or Walters, but the likes of Bolton and Rankine imo are a bit better than that, so they are hen's teeth players.

Could you even possibly imagine a list manager from another club looking at Bolton and saying yeahnah, he only kicked 34 goals this season, not interested.

If he went on the market to the highest bidder, there would be 17 clubs trying to get into the queue for his services and at least all the clubs who thought they could contend would be doing all they possibly could to get Bolton. Picks that likely end up at 11 & 12 are not enough for Bolton, there has to be a half decent player/prospect or another reasonably valuable pick along with it, and straight out another first round pick minimum if we start contributing to his salary. Otherwise as you have said before, just keep him, easy peasy. If Freo wants him, it is simple, they pay overs, one way or another.

If it is the case he is not getting along with the way Yze wants him to play, Richmond needs to think very carefully about whether to stick or twist there. If we let him go for only fair market value for that reason then I think Yze would come under great scrutiny.

We are going to see some utter tripe written and spoken about our players in coming months, I guess we better get used to it.

The good thing is its not upto the posters or journo's who make that decision, its the actual people within Freo, they know what Bolton can bring to the table and would be looking at not just this year but his previous years. I think it will come down to what are they willing to give to facilitate a trade, how badly do they want him.

I think Freo will pay what some of us fans would like to see but I have my doubts Richmond will agree to it.

The good thing is its not upto the posters or journo's who make that decision, its the actual people within Freo, they know what Bolton can bring to the table and would be looking at not just this year but his previous years. I think it will come down to what are they willing to give to facilitate a trade, how badly do they want him.

I think Freo will pay what some of us fans would like to see but I have my doubts Richmond will agree to it.

If Freo agree to pay overs I think Richmond will agree to it. But picks ending up at 11 & 12 is not overs, that is a bargain for Freo. That is Bolton's price if Richmond had to release him.

If Freo agree to pay overs I think Richmond will agree to it. But picks ending up at 11 & 12 is not overs, that is a bargain for Freo. That is Bolton's price if Richmond had to release him.
I wouldn't be surprised if it's all 3 of Freo's picks and maybe something given back. It won't be a pick in the top 10 so will that be sufficient for our club to agree? I don't know, think the club is privately seething that so many players are looking to leave.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised if it's all 3 of Freo's picks and maybe something given back. It won't be a pick in the top 10 so again as I said, will that be sufficient for our club to agree? I don't know, think the club is privately seething that so many players are looking to leave.

If they want something back it should only be if Richmond receive the picks currently and 9 & 10 + Freo's F1, which would probably have an expected par value of pick 15 on draft night. Then maybe you give them back an early rd 2 pick.

If all the players are looking to leave totally against the club's will(which I somehow doubt,) then there should be an immediate comprehensive review of all football department operations including scrutiny on the coach. But you only have to hear someone like Sam Naismith's retirement speech to understand the players seem to love being at Richmond.

Last place on earth I would be trading lynch to the pies for a nothing second rounder. We would be handing them the 2025 premiership cup.

Hes still an a grader (pies/melb know it). He still will have fresh legs (last 2 years basically out) and a proper fitness team will get him another 2-3 years easy.

If they (esp pies) want an a grader then they better pay like one. I would spew if they traded him to the pies for cheap (cap space we dont need it).

Last place on earth I would be trading lynch to the pies for a nothing second rounder. We would be handing them the 2025 premiership cup.

Hes still an a grader (pies/melb know it). He still will have fresh legs (last 2 years basically out) and a proper fitness team will get him another 2-3 years easy.

If they (esp pies) want an a grader then they better pay like one. I would spew if they traded him to the pies for cheap (cap space we dont need it).

He will not be released for a second round pick(which is likely to end up in the 35-40 range.) That is patently ludicrous. If it was to Collingwood it would likely be with some 2025 salary paid and we get 32, 48, 50 and their F1. All those picks would amount to the value of about picks 20 & 25 for us. Much like the Deledio deal.

Last edited:
If they want something back it should only be if Richmond receive the picks currently and 9 & 10 + Freo's F1, which would probably have an expected par value of pick 15 on draft night. Then maybe you give them back an early rd 2 pick.

If all the players are looking to leave totally against the club's will(which I somehow doubt,) then there should be an immediate comprehensive review of all football department operations including scrutiny on the coach. But you only have to hear someone like Sam Naismith's retirement speech to understand the players seem to love being at Richmond.
They have a couple of decent NGA prospects not sure if it's this year or next, so that's why I think they might want a pick in return. They do have pick 27 this year so will be interesting. Just like us Freo would be planning their list going forward to make it easier for them at draft time.

No stress. Pies are copying tigers as usual and will be bottoming out as well. They are finished. Can’t see doing what cats have done. Too many players over 32.

Im fairly certain we cant trade our own first this year as we traded it the last two seasons and I tink the afl doesnt allow you to trade your first 3 years in a row. For what its worth Ive followed mocks draft a long time and the talent pool in the top 30 is projected to be as god as any ina long time.
Not 100% certain but I'm pretty sure if you have brought in a 1st rnd in that same period that rule becomes void.

One thing for sure, if Lynch was fit he could easily make the difference of getting a half decent team over the line for a flag. Swans, Pies, Cats, Demons, Port or even Fremantle might be teams for whom a fit Lynch could mean a flag they wouldn't have otherwise won. So it would be interesting to see what these type of teams might be prepared to cough up for him, perhaps with a fair bit of salary paid. Perhaps Lynch with no salary for a late rd 1 pick, Lynch with most of his salary paid for a top 10 pick or equivalent.

I think this is the sort of shit we are going to get used to seeing to. You are in strong contention then suddenly one of your main rivals sells their future for a couple of seasons of a Tom Lynch or other needle mover and you have that player to deal with in finals, unless you sell your own future for a gun...

But god, if all these guys go we really are going to dominate the next 2 drafts to the tune of about 10 x rd 1 picks, plus some decent rd 2 picks. This is probably equal to about 8 years worth of Rd1 & 2 picks, but not like our last 8 years where the best pick we took was 9, we would have at least a couple of top 3 picks in there, and almost certainly a couple more to follow in the years after.
It's a big IF but if it happens I'd target a desperate Melb for their F1.
They can easily continue too fall even with lynch
We have enough picks this year.

It's not the first rounder for me but Collingwood's pick in the 30's no thanks. He isn't worth 1st rounder but he is worth more than a late 2nd rounder so your proposal would make sense.
1.5 million for a second and third rounder. Are you nuts? To pay that much I’d want Melbournes first and a future second.
Glad you’re not finance Mgr.

People on here talk as if handing ove 1.5 is nothing. Pay Lynch and trade. Pay Bolton and trade. Pay Rioli and trade. It’s not that long ago we were broke and our survival was being questioned. These suggestions are ludicrous. We could possibly entertain 1 but the return would need to be fantastic.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1.5 million for a second and third rounder. Are you nuts? To pay that much I’d want Melbournes first and a future second.
Glad you’re not finance Mgr.

We aren't getting a 1st rounder for lynch also don't confuse my post for wanting it to happen. I seriously think it won't nor do i want it to.

I reckon after watching the dynamic small forward swittakauski (has kicked 11 goals playing as a small forward permanently in a side with a gun midfield)freo will be prepared to pay whatever we ask

We aren't getting a 1st rounder for lynch also don't confuse my post for wanting it to happen. I seriously think it won't nor do i want it to.
No we aren’t getting a first round pick for lynch but 1.5 million. Yes

I reckon after watching the dynamic small forward swittakauski (has kicked 11 goals playing as a small forward permanently in a side with a gun midfield)freo will be prepared to pay whatever we ask

Switkowski is a really good player, but does his best work in the defensive aspects that aren't so apparent from watching casually. Bolton and him would complement each other perfectly.

Even yesterday, Switkowski had 12 score involvements, 4 tackles, 11 contested possessions and 22 disposals. He was the 5th highest rated player in the game. He is not on Bolton's level but you would have him in your team any day.

Firstly we do not need cap space. Secondly last year Lynch missed most of the season with a broken bone in his foot. That is not a ware and tear type of injury. It would make no sense to let him go cheaply. Just media speculating without any analysis at all. I would swap him for the Daicos boys.

Switkowski is a really good player, but does his best work in the defensive aspects that aren't so apparent from watching casually. Bolton and him would complement each other perfectly.

Even yesterday, Switkowski had 12 score involvements, 4 tackles, 11 contested possessions and 22 disposals. He was the 5th highest rated player in the game. He is not on Bolton's level but you would have him in your team any day.
Probably the best game I've seen him play

Agree we aren't getting what some are proposing. I also think the 2 contracted blokes are more than likely told they are staying than be traded.
This place will melt. It's what I'm expecting and I will still be disappointed.
Did u2 watch both the suns & Freo over the w/end .
It's a perfect storm for us
We have what they crave for.
It will happen at our price

Such a rubbish article.

"Won't cost much in a trade and clearing the $1.5M off our books is good for us"

It's completely the opposite. We have much less concerns with salary than pies or dees, so in that case he will cost a lot as they'll want us to pay a substantial amount of his salary.

Journalism degrees on the back of corn flakes boxes these days

Such a rubbish article.

"Won't cost much in a trade and clearing the $1.5M off our books is good for us"

It's completely the opposite. We have much less concerns with salary than pies or dees, so in that case he will cost a lot as they'll want us to pay a substantial amount of his salary.

Journalism degrees on the back of corn flakes boxes these days

Journo's need something to talk about now that the final 8 is full of boring teams. Once Carlton, one of Hawks/Dogs get knocked out it will be even worse lol

People have been suggesting as a trade hypothetical:

Richmond trade: Bolton, Baker and Pick 30 to Freo.

Freo trade: Pick 9, 17 and a future first.

Not sure how I feel about it, especially if we stuffed up pick 9. It would look terrible for us. I also expect them to rise next year too so their future first will lie between 12-15

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back