List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too bad Balta has no idea how to play 1 on 1 football which is required to play as a key defender, but everyone overrates him because he gets cheap possies as a loose man in defence. Move him on now while he still has value. He wont have it in 2 to 3 years time.
A few said the same about Rance and his inability to play one on one, funny thing is most defenders struggle in one on one situations especially if they are facing multiple contests in a short period

That’s why all teams rely on midfields holding up entry’s so more numbers can be forced back to assist

The age of players playing majority 1v1 contests is long dead

I cannot see us letting Hugo go for a bag of cheaps. It has to be something decent of real value.

Can't see us giving up Hugo as part of a Taranto, Hopper trade, that makes no sense whatsoever
Really? He can be replaced pretty easily imo. And it is something decent btw, Taranto and Hopper are both damn good players who play where we are weakest imo

Forgot Sampson Ryan better than all of them besides Nank but he will better long term.
You also forgot Bigoa Nyuon who has shown promise as a ruck in the VFL and also Colina as a project ruckman.

If we trade Soldo (which personally I hope we do as I am no fan), we'll be doing so not because we feel that GWS is holding a gun to our heads, but because we have confidence in what is coming up through the VFL.

Anyhow my worst fear is not losing Soldo but GWS not wanting him, which personally I think is a far more likely scenario.

Hugo can still break out and become a star.

I think some people fail to realise he is only just starting

He could easily become a multiple AA
Hugo is great offensively but defensively has quite a few question marks, Banks has a higher ceiling and better prospect long term so means Hugo is very much replaceable

Nope, Banks and Hugo can both be stars and play together even if Banks may end up better
No doubt, but if we are looking at our list and the type of players we have a surplus of vs the type of players we need Hugo fits in the surplus category

That's the thing, you have to give up something good in order to get something good.
No one likes seeing good players go, but we can't expect teams to take the Castagna's and Aarts' of the world.
Oh no doubt. And yes, Ryan, although he now seems destined to be a KPF?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everyone was concerned with what would happen at the Pies when Grundy went down and what happened is Cameron and Cox got confidence in being able to play the role and helped carry the Pies to a top 4 finish. There is no reason why if Nank went down the same couldn't happen with Ryan & Miller stepping up to fill the void. Too much panic over what ifs for mine.

This sounds very Dimma like to me.. unfortunate situations create opportunities

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

AFL trade news: Ivan Soldo could be offered to GWS in deal to get Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper to Richmond​

Richmond wants to land Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper, but likely needs to sacrifice at least one player to make it happen. This is the man most likely to become a Giant.

Richmond could follow in Geelong’s footsteps in off-loading as many as four high draft picks plus a senior player to pull off a blockbuster move for GWS Giants’ star midfield pair Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper.
The Tigers are eyeing Taranto and Hopper to provide a massive injection of toughness and class into their engine room and revitalise their premiership prospects next season.

But it could see the Tigers hand over a bevy of top draft picks which they have smartly accumulated in recent years to help execute such a deal with the Giants.

Richmond holds picks 12, 19 and 30 in this year’s draft and also have a future first-round pick for next year’s draft up their sleeves to help satisfy the Giants.

The wildcard in the scenario is the future of Richmond back-up ruckman Ivan Soldo and whether he would be part of the deal.

Soldo, who is from Canberra, could appeal to the Giants as a potential candidate for the No. 1 ruck position but it would have to be in addition to an early draft pick.

Soldo, 26, is contracted to Richmond until the end of 2024 after signing a three-year deal last season but he was dropped from the senior team late in the year.

It means Richmond could offer up 12 and 19 for Taranto and look to package their future first-round pick and Soldo in a deal for Hopper under one scenario.

But any deal involving Soldo remains a long way off as GWS is yet to have meaningful talks about the big man.

The two-pick swap for Taranto, 24, fits well on the AFL’s draft value index as picks 12 and 19 combined equal 2216 points which just falls short of the pick two value of 2517 points.

Taranto was originally taken with pick two in between Essendon’s No. 1 pick Andrew McGrath and Brisbane’s No. 3 Hugh McCluggage in 2016.

But it is clear the Giants would much prefer an early single-figure pick for Taranto where the chances of landing a star player are much higher in comparison with two picks in the teens.

Hopper, 25, is contracted at GWS for next season and could remain on the list for another year when he could leave as a free agent, likely earning GWS an earlier draft pick as compensation compared to Richmond’s first choice next year.

But the Giants need to off-load some big-money wages this year to help recalibrate their salary cap after years of back-ending deals.

Geelong struck a similar deal for superstar Jeremy Cameron two years ago when it off-loaded three high picks to GWS for the gun spearhead and two second-round picks in return.
The savvy move from Geelong defied critics of their age profile and list strategy as Chris Scott’s team remain the favourite to win this year’s premiership after taking another mature-age player instead of heading back to the national draft with a suite of picks.

Cameron, 29, is now considered by some football experts as the most valuable player in the game.

The Cats are also strongly interested in Hopper and are expected to meet with the hard nut midfielder once their season concludes.

Geelong list bosses Andrew Mackie and Stephen Wells have long been big fans of Hopper and have the salary cap room to add a top-end player to their midfield for next season.

His hard edge could help take some of the load off ageing stars Joel Selwood and Patrick Dangerfield next season, but Richmond has already met with Hopper and his teammate Taranto.

More Coverage​

Gone in 90 minutes: Lyon’s swift Dons rejection revealedBreakouts rated: Real deal or one-season wonder?Membership ladder: Which club will reach 100k next?

I disagree. That first is most likely a pick in the teens, which may get you a mid of Hopper's level if you're lucky, but that player will take years to mature when we need them in the engine room right now.

I’d also add in, what does the risk look like when you go to the draft and come away with, Lemon, Ellis, Higgins, Dow and RCD?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No doubt, but if we are looking at our list and the type of players we have a surplus of vs the type of players we need Hugo fits in the surplus category

Actually he does not.

We have surplus small forwards.

Furthermore, I anticipate us trying to bolster our defence even further at the draft because Banks could easily end up in the guts while Brown could also go up the ground like Hugo

This is part of the problem I think. Some do not adequately recognise what we need and what we do not need.

For example the Lambert role, it is redundant, we do not want players to play this Lambert role, oppositions are well aware of it and countered it, it is old news

This is why we still persist with Pickett. He has been consistent but if we need to sorry son, your playing up forward because as the everywhere man you can and we need someone else on the flank and you can do the job because despite playing well you have a lot of talent that allows you play in a lot of different ways

Last edited:
Hate how the media keep talking how are we going to get the double deal done it will be difficult but when they mention geesook doing a double deal of their own of hopper and bruhn they say they could get it done I ask how could they get it done when they wouldn’t be allowed to trade another future 1st
My guess would be that both Jacob Hopper and Tim Taranto and their management are all very aware of the draft and trade capital of both Richmond and Geelong and would be possibly basing a part of their decision around which of those teams are more likely to get a deal done that satisfies GWS.

Reckon GWS might ask for someone like Miller as steak knives. Better hop we have a replacement in the works.
lucky he's already signed up recently. I imagine it'd be hard to persuade him to go.
I gotta feeling it’s Hugo
Leaning this way too, they lack leg speed, he could play hb or wing for them. makes up for their slow inside mids.

Soldo is too similar to their other rucks for me to see the value personally. Id guess mansell as I cant see a spot opening in our backline for him and feel he would add a lot to a GWS backline.

If we were to get Hopper and Tarsnto, it would make sense that a half decent player or good prospect would go the other way. Kingsley of course is in a great position to know who the good young Richmond prospects are and which ones we might be prepared to trade.

With Lambert and Edwards retiring you would think the high half forward players and prospects of Graham, Ross, Sonsie, Clarke might seen as required at Richmond.

But the young half back/wing prospects, Banks, Ralphsmith and Brown, I could see Richmond being prepared to let one of those go. Brown is the one for some reason I keep wondering if he could be part of a deal with GWS. He hails from Northern Victoria, so could have been on the GWS radar a bit more than most. He is the type of player they will need.

Just wondering if something like this may work out about right:

Taranto for Richmond pick 14(2022 1st rounder) & Brown, essentially 2 x first round picks.

Hopper for Richmond 2023 first rounder and pick 33(2022 second rounder,) essentially the expected value of a top 10 pick.

This even satisfies Sam Edmund’s report as to what GWS will want for Hopper and Taranto.

In that scenario we retain the first pick in the second round of the 2022 draft and our second round pick in 2023. Also not surprised if GWS throw us back 1-2 late 2nd or early 3rd round picks, and maybe Kingsley wants to take 1-2 lesser value players of good character with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back