List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given the absolute powerhouse that will be our midfield, losing Nank and playing the next best on the list will not be as dire.

Ryan will be a bloody good player, watch this space.

Worst case, Balta is deployed as Ruck and we have effectively have another midfielder.

Ruck is probably the most insignificant position on the field.
Helps to get first use, but if we have the likes of Bolton, Hopper, Prestia, Taranto, Martin etc rotating through being on ball, they should be good enough to read the opposition ruckman and shark some taps.

Not worried.

I'm completely weirded out by these Hopper discussions. I just dont get it. Hopper is contracted - l get it. But so is Haynes and Whitfield. So why are we needing to pay absolute top dollar, but Haynes and Whitfield are salary dumps - that potentially, at the last minute of trade period some club may pick them up on the cheap (or l dare say get a Geelong/Bowes type deal)?

As it stands, it looks like we have acted with the best of intentions in any trade this year by offering 12 & 19 for just one player. Nothing in return. This will beat any of the following deals:

• Rankine - Pick 5, but something will be coming back to Adelaide
  • Jackson - our 12&19 will on the surface beat anything Freo currently offering
  • Dunkley - brisbane cant give 2 first even if they tried.
Our best strategy from here is wait until the very last minute, because if they genuinely need to free up cap space then they would have factored in Hopper money leaving the balance sheet. Our only competition for Hopper was Geelong and they'll have no chance of fitting him in now, so Hopper staying at GWS is unlikely to work for them now either and he'll have no other time to explore moving elsewhere (even if he was open to it).

I just dont get why we're paying 'overs' again to a club that needs to dump. Future first and 30 is too ****ing much. GWS dont owe us anything, but we are helping their TPP. If a trade doesnt happen, they're in a world of trouble and we just go again next year.

I'm completely weirded out by these Hopper discussions. I just dont get it. Hopper is contracted - l get it. But so is Haynes and Whitfield. So why are we needing to pay absolute top dollar, but Haynes and Whitfield are salary dumps - that potentially, at the last minute of trade period some club may pick them up on the cheap (or l dare say get a Geelong/Bowes type deal)?

As it stands, it looks like we have acted with the best of intentions in any trade this year by offering 12 & 19 for just one player. Nothing in return. This will beat any of the following deals:

Our best strategy from here is wait until the very last minute, because if they genuinely need to free up cap space then they would have factored in Hopper money leaving the balance sheet. Our only competition for Hopper was Geelong and they'll have no chance of fitting him in now, so Hopper staying at GWS is unlikely to work for them now either and he'll have no other time to explore moving elsewhere (even if he was open to it).

I just dont get why we're paying 'overs' again to a club that needs to dump. Future first and 30 is too ******* much. GWS dont owe us anything, but we are helping their TPP. If a trade doesnt happen, they're in a world of trouble and we just go again next year.

Don't answer the phone until the last hour.

Get Mr magicn to answer it

I guess I was more meaning if it was a long-term injury to Nank. I agree that for a game or two you can cope, but longer term I feel it's a bit more difficult
Yeah totally understand that as well, I guess like anything sometimes it’s important to take risks if it has a net benefit overall

Can’t be hamstrung in making decisions just in case something happens just got to make a call and see

Soldo also has spent a lot time not available due to his knee injury so in essence we have seen what it’s like without him as well except this time it’s with the benefits of a stronger midfield

Yeah totally understand that as well, I guess like anything sometimes it’s important to take risks if it has a net benefit overall

Can’t be hamstrung in making decisions just in case something happens just got to make a call and see

Soldo also has spent a lot time not available due to his knee injury so in essence we have seen what it’s like without him as well except this time it’s with the benefits of a stronger midfield
Yeah, it'd be nice to have a ready to go mature back up for every Key Position, but you can't. Sometimes you have to back in your youth to be adequate depth. Ryan is a competitive beast you can see it and often hear it in the VFL telecast. He's also huge and not a teenager. No reason not to back him in imo.

I don't understanding the logic behind having the 5 man interchange meaning we'd like to play 2 genuine ruckman. To me the advantage would still be to play 1 ruck with a pinch hitter 2nd ruck and use the extra rotation for another midfielder....
Hopefully Patrik Balta is actually promising and we were just hiding him in the development league rather than him just being miles off it.
Did he even manage one VFL match this year?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haynes is because there is a market for Hopper and his contract but there is no market for

I just dont get why we're paying 'overs' again to a club that needs to dump. Future first and 30 is too ******* much. GWS dont owe us anything, but we are helping their TPP. If a trade doesnt happen, they're in a world of trouble and we just go again next year.

The reason they sent Hopper to speak to other clubs and not Whitfield and Haynes is because there is a decent market for Hopper and his contract. In fact as I understand it we will be paying him more than his previous contract. So he is not a salary dump really. A salary dump is more where the player is not worth his contract. eg Bowes. Whitfield and Haynes would be classic salary dumps, worth well below what they are owed in their contracts.

Our club won’t do business the way you are suggesting. They have identified the players they want and basically agreed on a price and will execute the deals as indicated. To do otherwise is just going to damage our reputation. It is a sh!t way to do business to try to win every deal like it is the last deal you will ever do. If you think logically through the consequences of both ways of doing business you will realise that.

Totally agree.

Richmond are giving up a lot to a club that needs to dump salary. Doesn’t matter how good Taranto and hopper are. GWS need money off their books, and needed a club to take it.
In their minds, if they could find a club to pay top dollar it would’ve been a bonus.

GWS are laughing.

Has Cornes ever said anything positive about Richmond?

When he was sooking this morning about Norf wanting a good player in the JHF trade he said look at Richmond they are getting 2 A grade mids in their prime with just picks. Suddenly they are in their prime when it suits him but when he wants to talk s**t about us 5 minutes later they are injury prone spuds.
Cornes is not a football journalist, he’s just a comedian. You shouldn’t take anything he says seriously. His run from Adelaide to Melbourne was pretty epic though.

The reason they sent Hopper to speak to other clubs and not Whitfield and Haynes is because there is a decent market for Hopper and his contract. In fact as I understand it we will be paying him more than his previous contract. So he is not a salary dump really. A salary dump is more where the player is not worth his contract. eg Bowes. Whitfield and Haynes would be classic salary dumps, worth well below what they are owed in their contracts.

Our club won’t do business the way you are suggesting. They have identified the players they want and basically agreed on a price and will execute the deals as indicated. To do otherwise is just going to damage our reputation. It is a sh!t way to do business to try to win every deal like it is the last deal you will ever do. If you think logically through the consequences of both ways of doing business you will realise that.

Cash is cash. And if Hopper ends up staying, thats more panic dumping GWS have to do - with players that actually havent expressed an interest to move. At least Hopper has shown he will move.

And on the reputation point... you talk as though other clubs will remember good deeds done in the past. They wont. GWS wont give a shit about deals we've done, they'll still go into trying to get the best deal for them - they cant even remember a deal that was done last week!! Already they're banked that and are now keen for us to pay overs again.

Reputation... lol. Its not like we've done a Dodoro for the last 21 years.

Beat me to it MR.

Yeah, GWS are pretty much acknowledging they're over-paying Whitfield and Haynes, whereas Hopper is probably due a pay rise even with in their own organisation, and to be honest is still regarded as a required player.

Salary dump is sort of an obsolete player dump in a way, and Whitfield and Haynes now fit that description with respect to their exorbitant salaries.

Looks like it's happening and looks like we will overpay whatever we have to get it done.

I've already accepted it. Not happy with it though.
If it’s any consolation I can recall you almost constantly disagreeing with decisions they make about list management and almost always being wrong 😎

Cash is cash. And if Hopper ends up staying, thats more panic dumping GWS have to do - with players that actually havent expressed an interest to move. At least Hopper has shown he will move.

And on the reputation point... you talk as though other clubs will remember good deeds done in the past. They wont. GWS wont give a s**t about deals we've done, they'll still go into trying to get the best deal for them - they cant even remember a deal that was done last week!! Already they're banked that and are now keen for us to pay overs again.

I think our reputation with other teams in neither here nor there.. it’s reputation with other players that’s important..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

And on the reputation point... you talk as though other clubs will remember good deeds done in the past. They wont. GWS wont give a s**t about deals we've done, they'll still go into trying to get the best deal for them - they cant even remember a deal that was done last week!! Already they're banked that and are now keen for us to pay overs again.

I think our reputation with other teams in neither here nor there.. it’s reputation with other players that’s important..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Rankine and Jackson trades done, they'll hold this and the Dunkely trade off until Wednesday now for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back