List Mgmt. Trade: National Draft selection no. 21 traded to St Kilda for Rhys Stanley and selection no. 60

Remove this Banner Ad

Just saw this from the AFL Website, seems Walker is safe.

The Cats have recruited for the future, it seems.

Football manager Neil Balme has told media gathered at AFL House Mitch Clark and Rhys Stanley are viewed as long-term players for the club.

He admitted there was risk associated with Clark but the Cats won't place any pressure on him for next season. They've backed his athleticism and ability to get fit quick.

And, they've assured Josh Walker's future, with their plethora of tall players to provide healthy competition for spots in 2015.

Interesting.

Sounds like he'll be setting his own pace during the off / pre-season.

He also does have clear potential. He has shown infinitely more already than Brown, Walker and Vardy as a forward so far in his career. Whether he lives up to his potential, whether his 'highlights' can become 'regular-lights', remains to be seen. But in Geelong's system you would back him in.

I don't know whether he's a good recruit or not; however, Vardy has 40-odd games fewer than him and significantly better statistics as a ruckman/forward - slightly fewer kicks & handballs (8 to 10), but more than twice the hitouts (11 to 5), and 20-30% more goals per game (0.9 to 0.7), at much better accuracy. Stanley has better marking stats, but they are identical for contested marks.

Doubt he would have toweled up West like he did Blitz and Walker.

Could've also had Grundy.
We could have had Grundy, yes. That would also mean no Thurlow who I think has a very bright future. West wouldn't have been toweled up as bad as those two, but Goldstein would have still beaten him quite well.

I don't know whether he's a good recruit or not; however, Vardy has 40-odd games fewer than him and significantly better statistics as a ruckman/forward - slightly fewer kicks & handballs (8 to 10), but more than twice the hitouts (11 to 5), and 20-30% more goals per game (0.9 to 0.7), at much better accuracy. Stanley has better marking stats, but they are identical for contested marks.

I wouldn't use career averages to prove anything... he spent 2013 as a key defender, you'd think that would put a dent in your goals per game number.

Doubt he would have toweled up West like he did Blitz and Walker.

Could've also had Grundy.

frabz-SO-WHATS-THIS-obviously-its-a-little-kid-having-a-tantrum--DAAAA-0dcad7.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Debatable, but I think most here would've taken some comfort from seeing P21 used on a mid, even if we had to wait a little for any benefit to be forthcoming.

However, what's done is done and I am a supporter of the GFC, so I'll strap in, hold on, and see where the hell this ride takes me.

Why? Our midfield this year was Johnson, Selwood, Caddy, Horlin-Smith, Christensen, Duncan, Motlop and Guthrie. Christensen is gone but didn't play much. Apart from that only Johnson is even getting close to retirement age. We've also got Hartman, McCarthy, Smedts, Lang and Jansen who are all young and expected to play significant time in the midfield in future. If there's anywhere we're not short on young talent it's in the midfield we've just got to give them time to develop.

I'm not sure whether he's a good recruit either, but I can see where the club is coming from with this trade. Fair call on Vardy, a bit tough of me putting him in that company; he has shown more than Brown and Walker.

2 hours in an exam and I don't know what has me more uneasy, worrying about my result or geelong giving up 21 for Stanley. They must see something in him but geez 21 is a bit steep to offer up on exposed form, must be based on that wonderful word 'potential'.
Trying to replicate Hawthorn now.
They had more forwards than the Harlem Globetrotters - Franklin, Roughhead, Gunston, Hale, O'Brien, Hodge and Shoenmakers.
Their fans were wondering WTF they were doing.
Roughhead had stints down back, in the ruck and can play onball. Hale was forced into the ruck. Hodge and Shoe were played down back.
Now we are trying to do the same.

Why? Our midfield this year was Johnson, Selwood, Caddy, Horlin-Smith, Christensen, Duncan, Motlop and Guthrie. Christensen is gone but didn't play much. Apart from that only Johnson is even getting close to retirement age. We've also got Hartman, McCarthy, Smedts, Lang and Jansen who are all young and expected to play significant time in the midfield in future. If there's anywhere we're not short on young talent it's in the midfield we've just got to give them time to develop.

Don't necessarily disagree with you, and wasn't stating it as the absolute necessity, but was just conveying the overwhelming sentiment of most posters here.

I posted earlier that I assume the GFC have conceded 2015 and will use it to pump as many games into the youngsters, like those you mentioned, so we have a competitive midfield come 2016/17.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Trade: National Draft selection no. 21 traded to St Kilda for Rhys Stanley and selection no. 60

Remove this Banner Ad

Back