List Mgmt. Trade: National Draft selection no. 21 traded to St Kilda for Rhys Stanley and selection no. 60

Remove this Banner Ad

When Chris Scott spoke of 2015 being the start of our Premiership window after his appointment in 2010, was Rhys Stanley part of the equation? Of course, I'm being facetious. But seriously, Rhys Stanley may be a good (and necessary) pick up in time, but right now I think that we're a long way off having a list profile that could be considered even remotely close to a flag.

RS is a monster. Just saved 4 years not putting time into another 190-200cm ruck/fwd.
Thanks to the Saints for ensuring he is ready to go. Nothing worse than waiting 3-4 years for project ruckmen out of the draft.
Can never have too many 2nd or 3rd rucks apparently

Do you have any authority for this proposition? :eek:
Hope we don't have the situations next year where CS is thinking, or saying, "Well Stanley, there's another fine mess you've got us into".
I suspect he'll do well with us. Blicavs may end up in defence after all.

An infinite is a large amount and while Vardy also has show good attributes in taking contested marks and marking on the lead and general athleticism, I can't remember him taking control of a game as a forward. I think that Stanley has shown more as a forward then him, and so he should have, he has almost played 3 times as many games as Vardy.

Stop arguing with me, we agree, we agree! And so now does the poster who set all this off.:D

Hope we don't have the situations next year where CS is thinking, or saying, "Well Stanley, there's another fine mess you've got us into".
I suspect he'll do well with us. Blicavs may end up in defence after all.

Did you quote the right post there, comrade?o_O

Like the play where Lenny stuffs up the palm down, he picks up the loose pill and drills it, there's plenty to work with talent wise.
Now he's over his soft tissue injuries when younger, 2014 showed development and continuity.
Very fast and mobile, plenty to like in that package.

Which leads us to question if Simpson and HMac are as bad as we fear why didn't we make a move on clearly defined 1st Rucks like Giles, Lowden, Z Clarke? Guys that would have been a lot cheaper than pick 21.
Lowden and Zac Clarke aren't dominant no 1 rucks. No way.
I agree with what Leigh Matthews was saying the other day. Basically he was saying ruck tap outs are of less importance now as it has no effect on the clearance. Its not like the old days where the ruck would tap it to the team mate who wins the clearance. Those days are gone. Its rolling maul now. The new sub rule has killed the pure ruckman too.
Look at Hawthorns rucks - none dominate hitouts. But they are great around the ground and provide a target up forward. Part of why they have the best forwardline in the comp.

he's capable of taking over Lonergan's role when he retires, that's how agile Stanley is. Helps that he's played that position in the past too so while many assume he's going to be our 1st or 2nd preferred ruck and drift forward, I think we will see him become a very similar player to Jake Carlisle at Essendon who's quite efficient at either end of the ground.

Just needs to ensure he doesn't suffer any setbacks on the training field as recent Geelong acquisitions have had trouble getting through their first pre seasons.

Played it pretty poorly.

Lowden and Zac Clarke aren't dominant no 1 rucks. No way.
I agree with what Leigh Matthews was saying the other day. Basically he was saying ruck tap outs are of less importance now as it has no effect on the clearance. Its not like the old days where the ruck would tap it to the team mate who wins the clearance. Those days are gone. Its rolling maul now. The new sub rule has killed the pure ruckman too.
Look at Hawthorns rucks - none dominate hitouts. But they are great around the ground and provide a target up forward. Part of why they have the best forwardline in the comp.
Go watch our finals performances of the last two years and see if ruck performance isn't important. In those games we've been smashed in the ruck

Anyone else excited? Stanley is nearly the best athlete in the league and shows shitloads of potential as a forward. Pick 21 could be a massive bargain.
Now what do we do with Vardy, Walker, Brown, Simpson, HMac, Hamling, Kersten etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

he's capable of taking over Lonergan's role when he retires, that's how agile Stanley is. Helps that he's played that position in the past too so while many assume he's going to be our 1st or 2nd preferred ruck and drift forward, I think we will see him become a very similar player to Jake Carlisle at Essendon who's quite efficient at either end of the ground.

Just needs to ensure he doesn't suffer any setbacks on the training field as recent Geelong acquisitions have had trouble getting through their first pre seasons.
He may be agile as a gazelle but all the times I've seen him play in defense he has either been beaten off of the lead which is surprising for someone with his supposed speed or has been out bodied in the contest.
We now have our very own Schoenmakers

Just had a look at the highlights on the Cats site... he certainly can kick the bloody ball... 2 really impressive goals - 1 where he is in the ruck, roves his own tap and runs through the 50 and sinks it, and one against he Gold Coast where he marks the ball.. plays on and runs away from the opponent to sink it

Shame highlights are just that and only show the good!

I just checked out the highlights of Tenace at Subi.

He's gonna be a star!!!

I didn't say that.
We were smashed in alot of other areas too
Im sorry I got confused when I read this
Goldstein is a pure Ruckman and spanked us, Sandilands is a pure Ruckman and spanked us heck even Ceglar is a pure Ruckman and spanked us

he did but at the same time, showed good signs. It's not as if St Kilda have a lot of talent around him either. Put him alongside Taylor and Lonergan/Rivers, he'll be learning pretty quickly how to perfect the defender's craft.
I've been hoping Blicavs would get to play that position for a while now but we only saw glimpses of it this year so perhaps either one of these players are going to get a longer go at it in that half of the ground in 2015?
You've missed a lot of the thread Bobby.

Blicavs is going to be developed as a back, Stanley is going to play ruck.
Huddo did some digging and found out.

Just had a look at the highlights on the Cats site... he certainly can kick the bloody ball... 2 really impressive goals - 1 where he is in the ruck, roves his own tap and runs through the 50 and sinks it, and one against he Gold Coast where he marks the ball.. plays on and runs away from the opponent to sink it

Shame highlights are just that and only show the good!
Has anyone noticed that the highlight package is from the same 3 or 4 games? Why nothing from the other 18 - 19?

Has anyone noticed that the highlight package is from the same 3 or 4 games? Why nothing from the other 18 - 19?

I did notice that.. All against bottom teams as well

When Chris Scott spoke of 2015 being the start of our Premiership window after his appointment in 2010, was Rhys Stanley part of the equation? Of course, I'm being facetious. But seriously, Rhys Stanley may be a good (and necessary) pick up in time, but right now I think that we're a long way off having a list profile that could be considered even remotely close to a flag.

Of course he wasn't in the equation but a lot has changed since then. Vardy, Menzel, Brown, Cowan, Christensen, Hunt and Smedts between them will likely have very little impact in 2015-16. Of course not all our recruits were ever going to make it but we've been incredibly unlucky with the injuries they have sustained. Realistically that's pushed us back a year or 2.

I still think it's to early to write us off completely next year. Everything would have to go right but there are a lot of guys who we would expect to improve significantly next year. Realistically though we're looking at more 2017 when hopefully our list age will look like:

Turning 31 - Taylor
30 - Clark
29 - Selwood, Hawkins
28 - Simpson
27 - Stanley, Brown
26 - Motlop, Blicavs, Duncan, Vardy, Menzel, Cowan
25 - Murdoch, Smedts, Guthrie, Caddy, Walker, Horlin-Smith
24 - Kersten, Hamling, McCarthy, Bews
23 - Thurlow, Hartman
22 - Lang

That's just guys who have played AFL on our list already. Add in another free agent or trade in (or 2) around the 27 year old age bracket and it's looking like a really promising group. It's just a couple of years younger than we'd hoped back in 2011.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Trade: National Draft selection no. 21 traded to St Kilda for Rhys Stanley and selection no. 60

Remove this Banner Ad

Back