List Mgmt. Trade: National Draft selection no. 21 traded to St Kilda for Rhys Stanley and selection no. 60

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, nah...

I seriously hope no-one has so little on their plate that this is a serious option! ;)
I was just suggesting that if you want to get a better idea of what kind of player he is, it's better to see him perform in the context of an actual game, which will allow you to see the good and the bad. Stanley's career has featured much more of the latter. Highlights only show you the rare good bits pieced together. Tells you nothing of his consistency or deficiencies.

You're the man, apparently. I have it on good authority ;)
I just had a look.
Most of the highlights were marks. But I'm a bit stunned by the kicking.

He actually has a really long ball drop on the run. Not so much on a set shot.
Tall guys don't generally let the ball drop that far on the run.
Not many talls look like they can kick bullets.

There were 2 or 3 kicks that reminded me of Goddard in the way he snapped the ball.

So he'll be handy.
Would prefer to see ruck highlights !

On the back of some of those marks I'm not sure why the saints are letting him go.

Has anyone noticed that the highlight package is from the same 3 or 4 games? Why nothing from the other 18 - 19?

just to to give you guys an update on Stanley,

His problem is that he is inconsistent. he might eventually become a very good player, for you guys. i hope so. the Saints put a lot of effort into him over 6 years.

this year he only played 2 very good games, the essendon and Freo game. Maybe he just needs to be in a better skillful team?

We're going to have quite a few blondes running around next season now that I think about it. Caddy, Guthrie, Hyphen, Stanley, Jansen, Lonergan, Simpson. Could get confusing.

Wonder if BT will call them the same, like he does with Bundy and stokes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was just suggesting that if you want to get a better idea of what kind of player he is, it's better to see him perform in the context of an actual game, which will allow you to see the good and the bad. Stanley's career has featured much more of the latter. Highlights only show you the rare good bits pieced together. Tells you nothing of his consistency or deficiencies.
I know, it made sense... but the idea of using precious free time to watch full game replays of the wooden-spooners could not pass without a comment/joke.

I guess you are a bit gun-shy now after all the rebukes you've received on here recently... which is understandable.

He kicks the ball well to my eye.... can really thump it as well

Good kick over long distances, high ball drop though which effects his medium length shots for goal, very handy field kick.

Will be a ruckman, though the body does need to show it can hold up, I dislike this trade immensely.

Perhaps by the end of the season we'll have a three man rotation in ruck with Stanley, Clarke and Blicavs. Interestingly all have looked serviceable down back too so perhaps that's an option when Lonergan retires. I'd still like a big string ruckmen though that is durable.

I just had a look.
Most of the highlights were marks. But I'm a bit stunned by the kicking.

He actually has a really long ball drop on the run. Not so much on a set shot.
Tall guys don't generally let the ball drop that far on the run.
Not many talls look like they can kick bullets.

There were 2 or 3 kicks that reminded me of Goddard in the way he snapped the ball.

So he'll be handy.
Would prefer to see ruck highlights !

On the back of some of those marks I'm not sure why the saints are letting him go.

Inconsistency. Has had some good games but hasn't put it together consistently.

He has all the attributes though so he could really become a player, or fizzle out.

Come to think of it I think part of the pitch to him might have been if he wants to play in the ruck, because the Saints have bugger all tall forwards but he wasn't going to ruck with Hickey and Longer there.

My concern is strength, his game basically relies on his speed and athleticism, he is quicker than just about any 200cm player in the afl. Can they bulk him up to get the strength needed to be 1st ruck, without him losing his speed and athleticism? Ottens was way less of a gamble because he already had the body to be a ruck, it was just whether he could mentally change from being a forward to a ruck.

This is way more risky, boom or bust stuff.

Perhaps by the end of the season we'll have a three man rotation in ruck with Stanley, Clarke and Blicavs. Interestingly all have looked serviceable down back too so perhaps that's an option when Lonergan retires. I'd still like a big string ruckmen though that is durable.
I think you hit the nail on the head.
And if DS comes good, we have a nice dilemma.
And HMc will be able to retire.

For what it's worth, on the Triple M Adelaide Rush Hour tonight, Dale Lewis and Andrew Jarman both think that Geelong have made the right decision. Both of them can be clowns at times (just ask Clarko about the latter), but they were being serious when assessing the trades, and they believe that it was a poor decision from St.Kilda to trade Stanley as they have very few big men, meanwhile they believe that Geelong will have one of the most potent forward lines in the comp with Clark and now Stanley both signing.

For what it's worth, on the Triple M Adelaide Rush Hour tonight, Dale Lewis and Andrew Jarman both think that Geelong have made the right decision. Both of them can be clowns at times (just ask Clarko about the latter), but they were being serious when assessing the trades, and they believe that it was a poor decision from St.Kilda to trade Stanley as they have very few big men, meanwhile they believe that Geelong will have one of the most potent forward lines in the comp with Clark and now Stanley both signing.

I agree. Whilst we are still missing a quality crumber, I'm hopeful of what we have will get it done. More so, that our press is ominous in keeping it
in there with these talls roaming the 50-60m out from goal to take those marks and pump it back in. That's where I really see some improvement, as our
zone was quite woeful at times with easy marks being taken.

The team after losing bundy and Varcoe looks slow and big. We will get done for pace if the younger midfielders can't measure up. Kelly , bartel, horlen- smith and Johnson under the pump. We now have a lot of big men on the list. Kersten, walker, Simpson , h Mac , Hawkins, Stanley, Clarke, blicavs, Vardy and brown. The development of walker and kersten could be compromised if we don't get it right.since lonergan wanted to leave we need to think of tall defenders ? Which of the above can do this? They all can't be ruck/ forward!

So you ended up with him.

Maybe a new environment will be good for him.

Interestingly, this will be his 4th coach, will Brad be able to unlock?

I will watch with interest, always like to follow former saints & their journeys.

Did Scott Lucas imply he'd be CHB?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Trade: National Draft selection no. 21 traded to St Kilda for Rhys Stanley and selection no. 60

Remove this Banner Ad

Back