List Mgmt. Trade: National Draft selection no. 21 traded to St Kilda for Rhys Stanley and selection no. 60

Remove this Banner Ad

There is no way we can fill it (I was being sarcastic but forgot the :rolleyes: icon). An injury to one of Caddy, Duncan, Selwood, Stokes or SJ and we are screwed.

I actually think they're putting eggs in the Danger basket or incredible amount in the kids (but hey isn't that what half this board whinge about?), but didn't we do that with Vardy and McCarthy?

Huge risk, Huge reward type of guys at the club.
Yeah, I'm thinking the along the same lines but I think it's that they're splitting their eggs between the Danger basket and with the kids. If they run with the kids as much as possible in 2015, it kind of wins both ways -

1) Increased game time for Thurlow, Lang, Jansen & Hartman (we seem to rate them all) if we don't bring another established midfielder in this year, fast tracking their development and giving a clearer idea of what they might offer at AFL level.

2) More responsibility on Duncan, Caddy, GHS, Motlop & Guthrie, hopefully they continue improving and go to another level. Will better place the midfield group as a whole if we get Danger into the mix in 2016. Then you have a core group of Selwood, Dangerfield, Duncan, Caddy, Guthrie, GHS & Motlop all coming into their best years, Selwood still around 28/29.

3) Worst case (and probably most likely) - we don't get Dangerfield, we should hopefully have a bit more trade currency next year with some more developed mids and excess talls to go after another top-end midfielder. If Walker or Kersten aren't playing consistent senior football because they're stuck behind Clark, Stanley & Vardy but are still tearing it up in the VFL they'll have some interest from other clubs.

I feel the same, it's overbalance.
We have too many talls and will have a few of them in the vfl, but by contrast lack midfield depth (barring further trades tomorrow and the draft) and if we have injuries there will really lack replacements.
I also feel we have too many part time rucks but none of them including Stanley is likely to be a dominant ruck, which you need if your midfield isnt dominant, and ours isn't.
Anyway they must have a plan we don't know about.

Or are planning for contingencies we don't yet know about, eg the possibility (or maybe even fact) that one of our 3 injured big blokes is not going to continue, or is not likely to get up this season.

Wonder if the rumour of Vardy coming back from holiday severely out of condition, had an impact on this as well

The highlights package makes him look a lot like Vardy at his best. Starting to wonder if the club doesn't already know it does not have one of Vardy, Simpson or McIntosh available for next year, and after that?

As for turning forwards into rucks, nah .... tried it with that Ottens bloke and look where that ended ...

Can't remember, but did Gunston show much when he was at Adelaide?

Some players tend to blossom at a different club. Hopefully for our sake Stanley is one of them.
Gunston was set to win the Crows best first year player until he told them he was leaving and they changed the winner

Gunston was set to win the Crows best first year player until he told them he was leaving and they changed the winner

Probably didn't give him the award since the year before he left was actually his 2nd year (he played 2 games in 2010).

The highlights package makes him look a lot like Vardy at his best. Starting to wonder if the club doesn't already know it does not have one of Vardy, Simpson or McIntosh available for next year, and after that?

As for turning forwards into rucks, nah .... tried it with that Ottens bloke and look where that ended ...
2001 All Australian Fwd Pocket / Ruckman Brad Ottens. That bloke?

Probably didn't give him the award since the year before he left was actually his 2nd year (he played 2 games in 2010).
Awarded to best first or second year players
Adelaide has confirmed it stripped teenage forward Jack Gunston of the Mark Bickley Award as he quit the club on the eve of its presentation night.
And the Crows will play hardball at the trade table as Gunston becomes a target for Hawthorn and North Melbourne.
The Mark Bickley Award is handed to the Crows' best first or second-year player for his on and off-field record. Instead of going to Gunston, it was presented on Friday night to defender Daniel Talia.
"The Mark Bickley Award recognises a young player who lives to the club's values," Crows chief executive Steven Trigg said yesterday.
"It is a management decision - my decision - that as a football club we will not reward someone who walks out."
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...ant-jack-gunston/story-e6frf9jf-1226134312735

Interesting stats about Stanley's output in 2014
he averaged 6.4 marks per game, ranked 18th in the competition
he averaged 1.6 contested marks per game, ranked 17th in the competition
he average 1.3 Marks inside 50 per game, ranked 53rd in the competition, in the team ranked 17th for Inside 50s.
Why was the 17th placed side so eager to trade him out then?

All right, guys. I've got it.

AFL coaches are always looking to other sports for a tactical idea or two, and that is what has happened here. The club have been observing top level ten pin bowling and come away with some ideas...

We are going to line up Stanley, Blitz, Vardy and HMac in a centre square "skittle" formation and let Sandilands run at them. Boy, Oh boy!

Or the flying duck formation and just coat hanger everyone

You've missed a lot of the thread Bobby.

Blicavs is going to be developed as a back, Stanley is going to play ruck.
Huddo did some digging and found out.
For the life of it I cannot remember where or when but I distinctly remember saying to you that either Blicavs or Walker would/should be turned into a KPD. I think Blicavs can do it just don't know if he should start doing it in the seniors.

On reflection did I say it to Partridge after the r10 NM game when Blitz ended up playing on Daw. I can't remember. But I said it somewhere I swear.

Last edited:
Why was the 17th placed side so eager to trade him out then?

Your talking about Pelchen the guy that let Goddard walk, got a first round compensation pick and traded it for Tom Lee. I have no idea what goes through his head, put there's a 40 page manifesto outlining to the St kilda board his master plan, but they put it in a safe for safe keeping, to read later.

But it goes something like this

Trade best players for picks
tank for a few years
don't f*ck up the drafting and development like Melbourne did
????
Profit

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For the life of it I cannot remember where or when but I distinctly remember saying to you that either Blicavs or Walker would/should be turned into a KPD. I think Blicavs can do it.

On reflection did I say it to Partridge after the r10 NM game when Blitz ended up playing on Daw. I can't remember. But I said it somewhere I swear.
Maybe in a pm. I can look. I have them all.
Pm whore.

I worry about Blicavs being out bodied to be honest.
He looks nothing like a defender to me.

Other than the run up the ground, run back thing.
Some might not like Brown, but he actually looks like can defender.

Just watched the highlights on the club website (there is a link above somewhere) and I am getting a more excited about the prospects of Stanley.
He certainly is aways ahead of Blicavs in terms of body positioning and contested marking.

Seems to kick pretty well too, but I'd be interested in vinum coupe's thoughts on that.

He is gunning for 3 picks in the first 20 or so for a few years in a row...
Yeah I know that.

It's not a bad move. Tell the board you have a plan. Board accepts it. You cut players and the board gasps but accepts it because they have agreed to the plan.
Spend 3 years recruiting.
Take the 500k a year.

Another 4 years before it's shown your picks are crap.(or not)

3.5mil earnt. Smart.

Just watched the highlights on the club website (there is a link above somewhere) and I am getting a more excited about the prospects of Stanley.
He certainly is aways ahead of Blicavs in terms of body positioning and contested marking.

Seems to kick pretty well too, but I'd be interested in vinum coupe's thoughts on that.
lol. will have a look.

Highlights are deceptive. Spend the summer watching some of the Saints games in which he played in full.

Maybe in a pm. I can look. I have them all.
Pm whore.

I worry about Blicavs being out bodied to be honest.
He looks nothing like a defender to me.

Other than the run up the ground, run back thing.
Some might not like Brown, but he actually looks like can defender.
Oh that's what I said to partridge, Brown is done as a forward (even before recruiting Clark and Stanley) but he is worth keeping on the list if he is going to be used as a defender.

Getting my wires crossed there. If Clark and Stanley coming in squeezes out Blicavs, play him in defence in the vfl and go from there.

What I do know is we've got ample supply in 2nd rucks and tall forwards, if players in these categories aren't taken off the list then they need to find alternative positions for some of them.

Last edited:

He kicks the ball well to my eye.... can really thump it as well

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Trade: National Draft selection no. 21 traded to St Kilda for Rhys Stanley and selection no. 60

Remove this Banner Ad

Back