Trade period / National Draft 2024

Which out of contract player should we trade?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 2058229
If I were Gold Coast, I'd be using 7 & 10 + Sweeteners to get pick 1 or 2, to use on whoever.
Then, I'd be "hiding" picks 20 & 27 by trading them to Richmond for future 3rd and some junk points.
Lombard bid - matched with 37, 49, 72, + whatever combination of 39, 41, 53, 57, 63, 69 they get from us.
Then, they can't trade back their original 20 & 27, so they trade 21 & 34 from us for their future second.

Instead of Lombard (matching with #7), 10, 20, 27 + shit....
they get:
Pick 1~2, Lombard, 21, 34 and a downgrade of next years 2nd rounder to a 3rd rounder

We get slight upgrades:
21--> 20
34 --> 27
future 3rd --> GC future 2nd
and give away a lot of later picks.

win-win but probably sweeter for them so could involve a better future upgrade for us instead
Not sure what initial sweetener they would need to get pick 1 or 2 in the first place. I wouldn't trade pick 1 or 2 for just 7 & 10 this year.
On the right track but GC would pay more than that to link Smille or FOS with Lombard

I honestly just can't go past Harvey Langford...

He just looks great and when you see him he just looks like the kind of guy who will be a gun AFL player. Might not be A+ superstar but definite A.

Midfielder who can win plenty of ball, moves well, not express speed but now slow either, 190cm, flies for and clunks marks, and he's a lefty...

These highlights are solid:

Too late for what exactly Nostradamus? Know the draft order already do you?

It depends who we are after. Maybe we value the kid at pick 6 & 7 in this draft the same as the kid at pick 1!
Okay brainwave. Richmond will have ordered the top kids prior to the trade period (As will have other clubs) and to ensure they get the player they want, I think will need a pick in the top 3 or 4. Not come up with some bullshit trade scenarios like yours to get a pick that is likely toooo late to draft their top selection. No I don’t know the draft order but neither do you.

My current order for 1:

1. Draper -easily looks the best, it's quite astonishing
2. Smillie - For the first pick, you need a point of difference. Smillie's ceiling is probably the highest.
3. FOS - Definitely not from the footage I have seen, but based on reports leading up to this year has been classy (although I would be very nervous to take 1st)
4. Jagga - No doubt whatsoever will find the ball. How effective? time will tell..
5. Lalor - Not accumulator, but looks damaging. Good size

Okay brainwave. Richmond will have ordered the top kids prior to the trade period (As will have other clubs) and to ensure they get the player they want, I think will need a pick in the top 3 or 4. Not come up with some bullshit trade scenarios like yours to get a pick that is likely toooo late to draft their top selection. No I don’t know the draft order but neither do you.
We'll split the kids into groups more so than specifically 1-20. That means we'd be happy to take any of the players in the first group if they are ranked equally. It depends how deep that group is.

Hartley & Clarke are both on record as discussing just this approach when trading back twice in the 3rd round last year but still knowing we'd get a kid ranked equally in that group. We ended up with McAuliffe

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Title of your sex tape?
Andy Samberg What GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

You think Shai gets us a top 10 pick when he's 29?

Regardless, I would be disappointed if we werent back in the finals by then and Shai dominating for us.
Absolutely

Have a look at the Barrass thread the e girls are wanting 2 1st rounders and a player

Shai will play until he is 35 and you dont lose skills

Michael Walters / Eddie Betts type of players are just smarts

On the right track but GC would pay more than that to link Smille or FOS with Lombard
Agreed.
It's not bad for us, but really good for them so you would expect they could put a bit more in.
And we are in the perfect position to be able to assist them, if they provide a good enough incentive.

Brisbane do not have enough draft capital to get ahead of an Ashcroft bid, but could try something similar to maximise what is left afterwards, such as:
Trade out 17 for a future plus plenty of junk points - for which we are best positioned,
Then afterwards, trade a higher valued future of their own for pick 21 or something reasonably decent to get back into the draft.

Not sure if we have enough junk pick points to do a deal with both Brisbane and Gold Coast, but there's currently not many other clubs with junk points for them to work with.

I think Adelaide's Welsh and the Camporeale twins are going to drop late enough that there's not as big an opportunity for us to work with them.

Josh Smillie's champs run didn't quite reach the same heights as his fantastic Talent League and Academy performances, but he still left us with a highlights package worthy of a top five pick.

This is the worry

has come down in his performance stepping up a level and its a much bigger gap to VFL then Afl
He clearly has a massive advantage due to size at the lower level.

With Smillie i would be worried he is just another Brodie type

This is the worry

has come down in his performance stepping up a level and its a much bigger gap to VFL then Afl

I would argue that the academy games against VFL opponents is a higher level than Champs, and he performed well in those games. I'll also argue that his Champs form wasn't "bad" it was just a step off what he was producing earlier in the season. Guys will have natural form fluctuations through the season (unless you're Jagga apparently).

There have been many stars at AFL level that didnt have a great Champs campaign. Sheezel is one recent example if I remember right.

This is the worry

Brodie who??

Surely not Will Brodie as they are totally different types, apples and oranges

I would argue that the academy games against VFL opponents is a higher level than Champs, and he performed well in those games. I'll also argue that his Champs form wasn't "bad" it was just a step off what he was producing earlier in the season. Guys will have natural form fluctuations through the season (unless you're Jagga apparently).

There have been many stars at AFL level that didnt have a great Champs campaign. Sheezel is one recent example if I remember right.
Rozee had a shocker too. 13 touches or something and no AA.

We'll split the kids into groups more so than specifically 1-20. That means we'd be happy to take any of the players in the first group if they are ranked equally. It depends how deep that group is.

Hartley & Clarke are both on record as discussing just this approach when trading back twice in the 3rd round last year but still knowing we'd get a kid ranked equally in that group. We ended up with McAuliffe
I agree the draftees will be split into groups, however, when talking about the top rated kids, I think the club will find points of difference and likely rank strictly their order of preference.

I doubt the top group will be 1-20. Probably a top 6 or 7. Good offers that may enable the club to possibly grab 2 top rated kids could persuade us to drop in order but it’s unlikely we’d be offered 2 top picks for 1. I doubt the club would be prepared to go below a pick in the top 3/4/5. Unfortunately the clubs with multiple picks(Freo and GC) will have their first pick around 7+ and 2nd around 10+. There is a risk we could miss a kid we want falling this far back. Also other clubs will be trying to get ahead of their NGA and father son selections and any deals done could push these picks further down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back