Trade period / National Draft 2024

Which out of contract player should we trade?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
whens a number one pick not made the AA?
Harley Reid didn't win his clubs B&F last year. AA means heck all. How many times has Dusty, Vlaustin, Grimes, Cotchin, Shedda & Riewoldt missed out when they absolutely should have made it. It's a popularity contest not a reflection of real football ability

195cm key forward Harry Armstrong may have arrived at the Champs late, but in his three games he's sure made an impression. He launches at contested marks, finds space and separation on the lead, and possesses an accurate cannon of a left foot making him a threat anywhere within 60 meters of goal. His five goals here were a single game high for the Champs series and a critical factor in Metro's win.

Funnily enough, picks around 8-18 seem to be a much better place to draft KPF’s than anywhere else … McKay (10), Curnow (12), Riewoldt (13), Lynch (11), Amiss (8), N Caddy (10), O Henry (17), Georgiades (18), Naughton (9), Fogarty (12), Marshall (16), Hipwood (14), H Himmelberg (16), Wright (8), Langford (17), Daniher (10).

(Then there have been some top end successes, but loads of top end failures : Patton, Schache, Boyd, McCartin …)

I know some players above aren’t always forward and others didn’t start as forwards, but history tells you not to be afraid to grab a KPP outside the top echelon of picks, and in fact selecting one or two with picks from 8-18 is the best course of action.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Funnily enough, picks around 8-18 seem to be a much better place to draft KPF’s than anywhere else … McKay (10), Curnow (12), Riewoldt (13), Lynch (11), Amiss (8), N Caddy (10), O Henry (17), Georgiades (18), Naughton (9), Fogarty (12), Marshall (16), Hipwood (14), H Himmelberg (16), Wright (8), Langford (17), Daniher (10).

(Then there have been some top end successes, but loads of top end failures : Patton, Schache, Boyd, McCartin …)

I know some players above aren’t always forward and others didn’t start as forwards, but history tells you not to be afraid to grab a KPP outside the top echelon of picks, and in fact selecting one or two with picks from 8-18 is the best course of action.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Yep less pressure when they take 3-4 years anyway. Also being a KPF in a middle to top team would be far easier to develop than a bottom team.

Armstrong this year into his Sandy Dragons mate Ludowyke next year would set us up for ages if we develop them well.

I'm back on Jagga
Mick Jagger Dancing GIF

If we stay at pick 1 and Draper looks to be around the #1 mark do we trade Pick 1 to Adelaide for Pick 5 and and a 2025 1st. They will want to pick SA kids. If Trainor goes to North then we could get faller out of Smith/Smillie/FOS or whoever jumps up the order and still have a future 1st from Adelaide which would probably still be a top 5-8 pick.
I think we may to also have throw in a 2nd rnd or future 2nd rnd pick for Adelaide to even look at it, but wouldn't hurt to see if they would be interested.

I think we may to also have throw in a 2nd rnd or future 2nd rnd pick for Adelaide to even look at it, but wouldn't hurt to see if they would be interested.
What if suns trade Lukoscious to crows
For pick 5
Then we trade pick 1 to suns
For pick 5 and 9

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can see North taking Trainor with their first pick. Pick 1 or 2.

And I have a feeling the Tiges will take/ are keen on Jagga Smith @ 1 or 2.
  • from Richmond
  • best performed player this year
  • trained with the team already
  • similar type of player to N.Daicos
  • can replace the class of Cotchin in the middle.
Basically fills a glaring hole in our midfield.
Complaints on him being slightly built don’t add up in this modern aged footy, the game suits players with his attributes well. - and with protection from Taranto/Hopper could come into the team round 1.
He reads the drop of the ball better than anyone he’s played with and is creative and agile with his evasiveness.

If Baker leaves that opens the door for us to secure another top 10 pick. The chance of a player such as:
  • Toby Travaglia - long term Vlastuin replacement. Reads the play better than most, takes the game on and has sublime skills.
  • Jonty Faull - legit natural key forward. Should grow into a big marking, stay at home type of key forward. Riewoldt replacement.
  • Sam Laylor - another bull for the midfield, can possibly fill a fragment of the void Dusty will leave.
  • Murphy Reid - classy goal kicking midfielder. In the mould of Steele Sidebottom, he is the player people on this board think Sonise is. Edwards replacement
  • Harvey Langford - no fuss, get the job done type of midfielder. Is a taller mid that could compliment a player like Jagga.
Could be in the 8-15 range
  • Jobe Shanahan - lead up CHF type of key forward, leads up the ground and can take a grab. Good kicking action. Lynch replacement.
  • Harry Armstrong - different sort of key forward prospect. Jarrod Roughead is who could resemble at AFL level. Long accurate left foot kick.

Anything added to those prospects would be a great draft.
Harvey Langford is a mad Tigers supporter as well.

Aren't there concerns about Langford's athleticism? I'm suprised he's jumped up to four.

If he has a big slow contested ball winner I'd rather we steer clear given the players we currently have in there.
I wouldn't have thought so. I see him at athletics, school footy and just watching his highlights, I think he's fine athletically...

Something special about receiving Pick 1. Fans get excited after going through a shit year. I'd keep it. Just my opinion.
Good opinion.

Creates a whipping boy and great set of expectation being pick 1 for a big club.

Need a player with strong character that can navigate through the weekly Kane Cornes criticism.

The Phantom Form Guide is back for 2024 and what a fascinating pool we have on our hands.

But the quality and spread of this year's group made us want to start with 30, with some exciting players also missing out on this first ranking.

The next 10 weeks will ultimately decide who takes that spot, and you can expect to see the order shuffle as we update the Phantom Form Guide monthly until November's draft.

Remember, this is a ranking of the best prospects and does not take into account where bids on father-son or Academy players will come or where the players will necessarily get selected.

Richmond currently holds picks 1, 21, 34 (tied to Fremantle), 39, 41 (tied to West Coast), 52 (tied to Fremantle), 57, 63 (tied to Collingwood) and 66 (tied to Port Adelaide) in the 2024 Telstra AFL Draft.

127638_Phantom-Form-Guide_Hero_July-Strap-1_FA-1x.jpg

The No.1 position is up in the air but across nearly three seasons now, Ashcroft has put together one of the best draft CVs we've seen: he will be a back-to-back under-18 All-Australian, is aiming to be a three-time Coates Talent League premiership player with the Sandringham Dragons by the end of this season and has barely played a bad game. He is a regular goalkicker – he's averaged more than one a game across his three Dragons seasons – and is a very consistent midfielder who has averaged 27 disposals for the Dragons this season as well as 25.5 and three clearances across the four carnival games. The younger brother of Brisbane jet Will and son of Lions champion Marcus, Levi's genes are strong and he is expected to nominate as a father-son to the Lions as well.

127638_Phantom-Form-Guide_Hero_July-Strap-2_FA-1x.jpg

Smillie had a solid championships – he averaged 19 disposals and six clearances while also spending plenty of time as a forward – with his Eastern Ranges form more dominant. The best of those games was against Brisbane's Academy, when he was completely dominant with 34 disposals, 10 inside 50s and three goals, and he has averaged 27 disposals and 1.5 goals a game at that level. The 18-year-old's height and size makes him a unique midfield prospect for clubs to consider at the top end.

127638_Phantom-Form-Guide_Hero_July-Strap-3_FA-1x.jpg

O'Sullivan has had a frustrating draft campaign, first missing a block of games with a thumb injury and then another seven weeks with a finger injury, which saw him undergo surgery. The midfielder was sidelined for the first two of Vic Country's games but was back for its last two, playing well in the second half against the Allies, where his toughness was on show, but getting seven disposals against Vic Metro. It wasn’t without issue though, with his other hand getting stepped on and cut up by studs in the Metro game. Scans have since cleared him of any breaks. Despite the interruptions, many clubs still see him as one of the best players in it after a bottom-aged season that saw him claim All-Australian honours for Vic Country. O'Sullivan's overhead marking, running ability and skills make him an exciting midfield prospect.

127638_Phantom-Form-Guide_Hero_July-Strap-4_FA-1x.jpg

What a prospect Langford has become across the course of the season. The left-footed midfielder has a point of difference in his height and strength and he uses it to be able to mark above his head as well as bust through stoppages then slice teams apart with his kicking. He was a deserving joint winner of the Larke Medal as the best player (alongside Leo Lombard) in the national carnival, where he averaged 25.5 disposals, six clearances and six inside 50s for Vic Country. Langford has done what he has liked for Dandenong at stages this season and rocketed right into top-five contention. As a midfielder, he's among the most complete options.

127638_Phantom-Form-Guide_Hero_July-Strap-5_FA-1x.jpg

All silk and class, Reid's impact at the under-18 championships was huge. His game against South Australia was his best, when he kicked three goals from 31 disposals and eight clearances, but he was also effective against the Allies with 24 disposals and Western Australia with 24 and a goal. He didn't have as much of the ball against Vic Country but still created opportunities from the midfield, used some dash and set things up across half-forward, including a brilliant passage of two handballs tied up on the boundary line that teed up a teammate's goal. Reid has pushed himself well into the top-10 pick mix across this season and his deft kicking and clever, look-away handballing make him an exciting talent. He is fun to watch.

127638_Phantom-Form-Guide_Hero_July-Strap-6_FA-1x.jpg

Smith has as many runs on the board as anyone in the pool. His ball-getting is undeniable – in the carnival, the Vic Metro skipper averaged 29 disposals and seven clearances. For Oakleigh Chargers, Smith had a 50-disposal game in round nine and backed it up with 40 the following week. He's averaged 35 disposals a game at that level and is the draft's biggest ball-magnet. Smith is quick with his hands, happy to dig in and spin out with it in his grasp and has been consistent across the past three years. Some clubs see a bit of Connor Rozee in the way he can find the ball and use his fast feet and wiry frame to step past opponents.

127638_Phantom-Form-Guide_Hero_July-Strap-7_FA-1x.jpg

Trainor is a tall defender in the mould of Essendon's Jordan Ridley – he likes to fly for his marks and be an attacking threat with his kicking and he had one of his best games of the season playing for the AFL Academy against Coburg's VFL side when he was named best afield. He shapes as one of the first talls taken in the draft and has versatility to be able to be used in different positions, having been a forward earlier in his junior career. He was the hero for Vic Metro by kicking the championship-winning goal against Vic Country on Sunday with the last kick of the carnival.

127638_Phantom-Form-Guide_Hero_July-Strap-8_FA-1x.jpg

There's a watch on Lalor's finish to the season as a potential riser. Scouts have always had strong wraps on the explosive talent but injury issues meant he had a challenging first half of the year. However, he produced some big moments for Vic Country in the latter stages of its carnival, including kicking three goals against the Allies and one against Vic Metro, which came after a flying mark. Lalor has strength, grunt, power and a fend-off he isn't afraid to pull out occasionally and clubs see plenty of upside in him given he has spent most summers and pre-seasons in high-level cricket programs.

127638_Phantom-Form-Guide_Hero_July-Strap-9_FA-1x.jpg

Draper couldn't have done any more last season. He won All-Australian and MVP honours for South Australia after his under-18 championships, he was best on ground in South Adelaide's under-18 Grand Final and was also awarded the AFL life members' scholarship. This season has been more of a challenge, with Draper missing the first half of the year with a shin stress fracture. The tough and powerful midfielder still had a solid carnival for SA, averaging 21 disposals and four clearances, and recruiters know of his contested, quick hands, hard running style and leadership qualities. Last week he collected 27 disposals and 10 tackles for South Adelaide's senior team.

127638_Phantom-Form-Guide_Hero_July-Strap-10_FA-1x.jpg

A player who brings a different dimension to the draft's top end. Allan missed the start of Western Australia's championships with a back injury but made his mark upon return. His best game came against Vic Metro with two goals and 19 disposals and he showed his capacity as a taller, bigger-bodied midfielder in the style of Adelaide star Jordan Dawson, also a rangy left-footer. Allan started the year as a mobile defender but clubs like him as a taller midfielder.

Ok hear me out.

Right now we hold pick 1, 21 & 35 in the first 2 rounds. What if the following was to unfold

Baker chooses WCE who then trade back with Fremantle so they can then target a WA kid like Bo Allen in the draft and get picks 7 & 14 for 3 & 23. They then trade 14 to us for Baker.

Gold Coast comes hard for Daniel and trades picks 8, 9 & 20 for Daniel & 14.

Fremantle now armed with picks 3 & 10 then come late for Bolton & 9 offering both in a last minute all or nothing roll of the dice.

We lose Baker Bolton & Rioli but hit the draft with 1, 3, 8, 10, 20 & 21 in the first 2 rounds. Which could mean adding Draper Smith Langford Lalor with the first 4 picks and then target KPPs with the next 2.

We could then trade our remaining picks for 2025 picks and set up another raid in the draft .

A man can dream

I will be filthy if we don't push this opportunity to move Baker and Rioli on for some really good picks. Both have been guns and great servants, but were icing on the cake types of our premiership team. We need to cash in to find the next Cotch, Martin, Riewoldt, Edwards, Deledio, Rance ect.

Ok hear me out.

Right now we hold pick 1, 21 & 35 in the first 2 rounds. What if the following was to unfold

Baker chooses WCE who then trade back with Fremantle so they can then target a WA kid like Bo Allen in the draft and get picks 7 & 14 for 3 & 23. They then trade 14 to us for Baker.

Fremantle now armed with picks 3 & 10 then come late for Bolton & 9 offering both in a last minute all or nothing roll of the dice.

We lose Baker Bolton & Rioli but hit the draft with 1, 3, 8, 10, 20 & 21 in the first 2 rounds. Which could mean adding Draper Smith Langford Lalor with the first 4 picks and then target KPPs with the next 2.

We could then trade our remaining picks for 2025 picks and set up another raid in the draft .

A man can dream
I am wondering if we trade Bolton and Rioli we could get a better pick swap with Gold Coast and Fremantle if we offer to pay half their contracts?

We have a lot of salary cap room. We may even have a problem of over paying players to meet the minimum 90% of the cap with Baker, Rioli and Bolton leaving. Seeing that Freo and Gold Coast are in the stage of playing finals and hoping for a premiership, paying half of a good players salary would help them retain or lure more players. It would be win/win.

Last edited:
Ok hear me out.

A man can dream

Like it all, except a contracted Bolton’s worth way more than that IMO

I think North will take Trainor or will look to move back.
They dont need any more mids.

I don’t think so. If anything we’d trade back for Armstrong or someone imo. Clarko was asked similar a few days ago and said KPD wasn’t a priority another KPF was.

A lot of boards are all talking of the same plans.

There has to be an active market though for the picks.

The only sides I see whom might have any inclination to trade up in this draft are Gold Coast and Adelaide.

That depends on whether Adelaide could land Draper with their natural pick or not. Either way, I doubt you are getting any more than a second rounder for that climb.

And how much risk GC is willing to take. GC best result possible is actually holding their picks and receiving a Lombard bid post those. They land 3 top 12 picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back