Trade period / National Draft 2024

Which out of contract player should we trade?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few random thoughts.

I hope Toce has a good read on how other teams rate players where. In a similar way to last year when we kept trading back and still ended up Maculife. Different sport but Boston did this to perfection in 2017 when they traded the no.1 pick which was Markelle Fultz for no.3 where they selected Jayson Tatum while gaining a future first rounder in the process.

With possibly pick 1 and potentially another 3-4 picks inside top 30, we have the chance to control several outcomes in the draft. At the same time if we are struggling to decide between players, I think how good players relationships with fellow draftees should come into it. Say for arguments sake Oakleigh have FOS, Smith and Gross, we end up with FOS and Gross, what’s to say in two years’ time Smith wants to return home and play with two mates. No idea if that is the case, just using a hypothetical scenario but it’s something that in this draft with the deep talent pool should be given more thought then previous years. Would be a bit like how we ended up with Prestia, Caddy and then Lynch.

Lastly we are seeing a lot of players who started off the half back become mids at AFL level, admittedly some (Naicos/Sheezel) should have probably been playing there from the start but the likes of W.Day and H.Young played a lot of half back as juniors and in the first few years in the system and have turned into very good midfielders. It wouldn’t shock me see either Harry Oliver or Toby Travliagia turn out similar. I don't think we should be scared to take another HBF if its either of those two, I especially would like a left footer as a rebounding option.

The first in what will be a series of highlights videos for the top draft picks picking out the best moments from their 2024 Champs performances. First up is Sid Draper, who was still finding his fitness and form through the Champs after a long injury layoff but still managed to wow us with moments of brilliance.

okay that is absurdly good highlights from one game.

It's from four games. Did you not notice the opposition and the ground changing?
y-yes, of course I did... It was a joke, a funny funny joke.

Arrested Development Laughing GIF

Andrew Capel | South Australia’s top AFL draft prospect Sid Draper should be on Crows’ recruiting radar​

Adelaide has a need for midfield speed and class – and the player it should target is sitting right under its nose, writes Andrew Capel.

Adelaide should think twice about trading its top pick in this year’s AFL draft. While the club has publicly stated its prime draft selections, including its prized first-round pick (currently No. 5), are up for grabs as it explores the trade market following its successful raids on two of its best players, captain Jordan Dawson and star goalsneak Izak Rankine, a player it needs is sitting right under its nose.

And he just happens to be a homegrown difference maker who could be available when the Crows are on the draft clock in November. South Adelaide teenage excitement machine Sid Draper, who is odds-on to be the first Croweater selected at this year’s national draft, would be a great fit in Adelaide’s largely one-paced, workmanlike midfield.

Panthers talent manager Mark Clayton hailed the just-turned 18-year-old, describing him as having Chris Judd-type qualities “with the way he goes about things and his work around the stoppages’’. “Sid has great power and his speed from stoppage is elite,’’ Clayton gushed.

1721767339091.jpeg

SANFL head of talent Brenton Phillips compared Draper to Port Adelaide captain and fellow Croweater Connor Rozee, saying “he’s got a little bit of Rozee about him, with his very quick feet and explosive speed out of stoppages’’.

“He has everything that the game demands of you these days,’’ Phillips added.

Draper – South Australia’s captain at this year’s AFL under-18 championships and a dual All-Australian – would add some much-needed pace and explosiveness to coach Matthew Nicks’ on-ball brigade without the Crows facing the prospect of losing him to the go-home factor, which has been a major issue that has long plagued the club.

The 182cm Draper is on track to be a gamebreaking playmaker, filling a glaring on-ball need.

A star at junior level – he was an All-Australian under-18 and SA’s MVP last year, best on ground in the Panthers’ under-18s grand final win and awarded the AFL life members’ scholarship – Draper has stepped up to the plate at senior level in recent weeks, adapting to league football with ease and illustrating his ability to make the jump to AFL level.

After an injury-plagued start to the year, which saw him miss the first half of the season with a shin stress fracture, Draper was promoted to the Panthers’ league side after the AFL under-18 championships and dominated against flag favourite Sturt at Unley Oval.

Lining up against established Double Blues midfield stars James Battersby and Tom Lewis, he had 23 disposals, 11 tackles, five clearances and six inside 50s in the Round 13 encounter to be voted second-best afield by The Advertiser football writers.

The following week, opposed to a North Adelaide midfield that included 2020 Magarey Medallist Campbell Combe, Draper compiled 27 disposals, 10 tackles, nine clearances and two inside 50s to again be named among South’s best.

On Sunday, Draper again stood tall, having 23 disposals and five clearances and kicking a classy goal as South upset Port Adelaide at Alberton Oval.

In three league games this season, Draper has averaged an eye-popping 24.3 disposals, 7.7 tackles, 6.3 clearances and 128 Champion Data ranking points.

In his three league games last year as a 17-year-old, Draper averaged 14 disposals, highlighting his growth this campaign.

This year’s draft pool is considered strong and jam-packed with quality midfielders, which should make the Crows’ eyes light up.

They need an injection of on-ball class to complement a developing list, which includes Rankine, Dawson, Jake Soligo, Josh Rachele, Max Michalanney, Mitch Hinge and exciting key forwards Riley Thilthorpe and Darcy Fogarty.

Adelaide, sitting 14th with seven wins, a draw and 10 losses but having won three of its past four games, currently owns selection five in what is considered a high quality but even top end of the draft.

1721767420835.jpeg

Most draft experts rate Draper in the five-to-nine range with the potential to go higher.

No other Croweater is rated as a top-10 prospect.

Other gun teenage midfielders in the top-end mix include Victorians Levi Ashcroft, Josh Smillie, Finn O’Sullivan, Harvey Langford, Murphy Reid, Jagga Smith and Sam Lalor,

Western Australia’s Bo Allan and Gold Coast Academy prospect Leo Lombard.

But the Crows, provided they keep their pick and Draper is still on the board, should be wary of overlooking a gun player from their own backyard.

They could even consider trading up a spot or two to snare him.

Hometown rival Port will not be in contention for Draper after trading its first-round pick.

South league coach Jarrad Wright, who oversaw Port star Jason Horne-Francis’s development before he was drafted at pick one by North Melbourne in 2021, believes Draper is his club’s next big thing and would be an ideal selection for the Crows.

The only small knock on him has been his sometimes rushed field kicking but that is improving every week.

“Sid is one of the best kids I’ve seen come through our program,’’ Wright said.

“He’s the ultimate professional, a leader, super competitive and ticks all the boxes in all phases of preparation, athleticism, speed and power.

“He’s a very impressive young man whose contest to contest running power is something that I haven’t seen from a player his age for a long time.

“At South, Jase (Horne-Francis) was a genuine footballer and a real powerful beast within the contest but Sid’s workrate is next level.

“The Crows have some good inside midfielders who are good ball winners but Sid is a metres gained player who not only wins plenty of the footy but he takes the game forward really well with his speed and power, which has been a criticism of Adelaide’s midfield.

“Given Sid’s attributes, he would blend into Adelaide’s team really well.’’

Wright said that apart from being a playmaker and testing as the most agile under-18 player nationwide last year, Draper – the younger brother of South teammate and former Collingwood utility Arlo Draper – has improved his defensive transition significantly this season.

“Prior to this year he was very much a see-ball, get-ball player but his transition defence this year has been really strong and really impressive,’’ Wright said.

“The fact that he’s been coming up against the best of the best in the SANFL and either beating them or breaking even shows just what an impressive young player he is.’’

Will be interesting to see how desperate Adelaide might be to draft Draper. Doubt he falls to 6 now. Could we trade them pick #1 so they can lock him in?

Won’t get a mega haul for pick #1 like you may have in previous drafts but we could pick at 6 and acquire a future first potentially.

It’s all going to depend on who we have our eyes on. If we are set on Jagga or Lalor, one of, or maybe both are taken by the Saints who will get to double dip at 4+5 (both mids?).

When you look at the potential pick 1s, which can you imagine playing in a final for us, which has that look about them?

As much as I like Jagga and Langford, Draper definitely most has that look about him...

EDIT: Also not trying to knock Jagga as I definitely like the look of him, but looking at the VFL highlights, sure he had 31 touches, but a lot of them were hack kicks to nowhere out of heavy congestion, some only going 5-10 metres, there wasn't a lot of wide open run and burst (to be fair it was a slog). If you just read "31 disposals" you think wow, but it wasn't like that.

When you look at the potential pick 1s, which can you imagine playing in a final for us, which has that look about them?

As much as I like Jagga and Langford, Draper definitely most has that look about him...

EDIT: Also not trying to knock Jagga as I definitely like the look of him, but looking at the VFL highlights, sure he had 31 touches, but a lot of them were hack kicks to nowhere out of heavy congestion, some only going 5-10 metres, there wasn't a lot of wide open run and burst (to be fair it was a slog). If you just read "31 disposals" you think wow, but it wasn't like that.
We will get a better idea of Jagga this week in better conditions.

Can't criticise his disposal in those conditions. Just a rubbish game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sid draper looks great, but seems like jagga is the pick for us considering he is playing for the vfl side and not fos or smillie
We didn’t select Jagga to play for us, it’s an AFL assigned thing based on where he lives/played junior footy

FOS and Smilie won’t be playing VFL at all as they are still in school so would have school footy. Only reason Jagga is playing is because he’s no longer at school

I'd love to see this round 1 2025:

Blight, Balta, Brown
Vlastuin, Gibcus, Smith
Ralphsmith, Draper, Clarke
Mansell, Gray, Campbell
M. Rioli, Lynch, Bolton
Nankervis, Taranto, Hopper
Ross, McAuliffe, Lalor, Green

Certainly not a great side but good place to start the rebuild.
Marlion the sub for the first 10 games.

We didn’t select Jagga to play for us, it’s an AFL assigned thing based on where he lives/played junior footy

FOS and Smilie won’t be playing VFL at all as they are still in school so would have school footy. Only reason Jagga is playing is because he’s no longer at school
School footy finishes next weekend. FOS needs to play some CTL footy though, would be silly for him to go into VFL.

Smillie doesn't play APS/AGS footy and plays CTL every week so no reason he can't play VFL and he should.

The more data that I read and review in relation to this draft, the more I’m hoping we split pick #1. It seems to me there could be half a dozen players with genuine claims to being drafted #1, so to my mind there’s just as much chance Langford for example is taken pick #4 and ends up being superior to Smilie taken #1. Or Draper is taken #6 and is better than FOS taken #1… and so on ….

Whilst a certain player might have their nose in front on draft night to be #1, there’s every chance they don’t end up being the best of the draft when reviewed in future years - pick #1 almost never ends up being the best player.

So with what appears to be at least 7-8 x ‘slam dunk’ guns in this draft, and another 15-20 outstanding prospects, I feel it’s a no-brainer to split, so long as any deal includes a top-8 pick this draft.

So I’d explore pick #1 for GC’s pick-8, pick-10
and pick-20 in return for our F2 (they need points for next year’s draft).

And if Rioli wants to head to GC we add GC’s current pick-28 and a future 1st.

So if no Rioli it’s #1 and a F2 for 8,10,20.

With Rioli it’s #1, Rioli and a F2 for 8,10,20,28 and a F1.

And even if Smilie goes #1 and turns into a star and the best player in the draft, if we get for example Smith AND Armstrong who both end up being A-graders, we’ve probably come out on top anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The more data that I read and review in relation to this draft, the more I’m hoping we split pick #1. It seems to me there could be half a dozen players with genuine claims to being drafted #1, so to my mind there’s just as much chance Langford for example is taken pick #4 and ends up being superior to Smilie taken #1. Or Draper is taken #6 and is better than FOS taken #1… and so on ….

Whilst a certain player might have their nose in front on draft night to be #1, there’s every chance they don’t end up being the best of the draft when reviewed in future years - pick #1 almost never ends up being the best player.

So with what appears to be at least 7-8 x ‘slam dunk’ guns in this draft, and another 15-20 outstanding prospects, I feel it’s a no-brainer to split, so long as any deal includes a top-8 pick this draft.

So I’d explore pick #1 for GC’s pick-8, pick-10
and pick-20 in return for our F2 (they need points for next year’s draft).

And if Rioli wants to head to GC we add GC’s current pick-28 and a future 1st.

So if no Rioli it’s #1 and a F2 for 8,10,20.

With Rioli it’s #1, Rioli and a F2 for 8,10,20,28 and a F1.

And even if Smilie goes #1 and turns into a star and the best player in the draft, if we get for example Smith AND Armstrong who both end up being A-graders, we’ve probably come out on top anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I wouldn't trade pick 1 for 8 and 10. Pick 1 is pretty special, even if this year is less clear cut than others. But with a few months to go we may see someone really claim no.1 as their spot.

This is assuming we have pick 1.

Also, I actually wouldn't mind Tsatas. He is quick and a very good accumulator, and can work on his disposal. Would already be a huge upgrade on Dow you'd think. Sure, he can't break into the Dons lineup, but their midfield (whilst not amazing, it's fairly good) has no open spots for him right now.

If we can get Tsatas for a pick in the 20s I'd do it, perfect timing for our rebuild.

Also Essendon sort of owes us...

Rutten (despite being shafted by them), Caracella, Rance for a period, bid on Rioli JR, Townsend, Durham, McDonough, D'Ambrosio, I'm probably missing other things. They went hard on us for 3-4 seasons there.

as much as I don't rate them currently I don't mind the Tsatas / Phillips talk, these are exactly the types we should be targeting imo.

as in, talented juniors with clear weaknesses which may or may not be remediated longer term, but it's worth a shot trying as they'd come cheap and the upside is huge.

having said that, Tsatas' kicking is a real worry. Think I'd prefer Phillips for peanuts especially if Graham leaves.

If draft was today, who would people take?

I'm currently on the Sid Draper bandwagon.

Perfomance: I think he's only behind Smith & early season Smillie and last year he was ahead of both. Considering he missed pre-season this is an incredible effort.

Traits: He's quick, elite agility, uses it well, he's strong through the hips and core, has a good defensive side for an elite mid.

Fit: on a needs basis, which is just a bonus to the above, he's the one that fits best with TT & Hopper.

I really struggle to see how he doesn't end up a better player than Smith. The downside and something I have no way of knowing is he could end up a better player for Smith for Adelaide/Port if he bails lol.

as much as I don't rate them currently I don't mind the Tsatas / Phillips talk, these are exactly the types we should be targeting imo.

as in, talented juniors with clear weaknesses which may or may not be remediated longer term, but it's worth a shot trying as they'd come cheap and the upside is huge.
How cheap do we think Tsatas will be with 2 years left on his contract. I really don't see Essendon shopping him after 2 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back