Trade period / National Draft 2024

Which out of contract player should we trade?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
dont insert things into my stuff
Shhhhhhhhhh, no more tears; only dreams
Be Quiet Megan Fox GIF by New Girl

When you look at the potential pick 1s, which can you imagine playing in a final for us, which has that look about them?

As much as I like Jagga and Langford, Draper definitely most has that look about him...

EDIT: Also not trying to knock Jagga as I definitely like the look of him, but looking at the VFL highlights, sure he had 31 touches, but a lot of them were hack kicks to nowhere out of heavy congestion, some only going 5-10 metres, there wasn't a lot of wide open run and burst (to be fair it was a slog). If you just read "31 disposals" you think wow, but it wasn't like that.
Pretty standard in those conditions though? It'll be good to see him play in better conditions this weekend.

as much as I don't rate them currently I don't mind the Tsatas / Phillips talk, these are exactly the types we should be targeting imo.

as in, talented juniors with clear weaknesses which may or may not be remediated longer term, but it's worth a shot trying as they'd come cheap and the upside is huge.

having said that, Tsatas' kicking is a real worry. Think I'd prefer Phillips for peanuts especially if Graham leaves.
They are the exact types we should steer well clear of: other clubs' mistakes. There are busts early in every draft, and history is littered with failed attempts to redeem some perceived 'upside'. Jimmy Toumpas, Cale Morton, Jono O'Rourke, Dom Tyson, Jarrod Pickett, Paul Ahern, Corey Ellis, Ben Lennon, Josh Schache, Aaron Francis...the list goes on and on.

Stay away.

If draft was today, who would people take?

I'm currently on the Sid Draper bandwagon.

Perfomance: I think he's only behind Smith & early season Smillie and last year he was ahead of both. Considering he missed pre-season this is an incredible effort.

Traits: He's quick, elite agility, uses it well, he's strong through the hips and core, has a good defensive side for an elite mid.

Fit: on a needs basis, which is just a bonus to the above, he's the one that fits best with TT & Hopper.

I really struggle to see how he doesn't end up a better player than Smith. The downside and something I have no way of knowing is he could end up a better player for Smith for Adelaide/Port if he bails lol.
FOS. The only reason pundits are saying there's no clear number 1 is because the best player hasn't had a clear run at it.

Think Lalor could be number 2 as well.

How cheap do we think Tsatas will be with 2 years left on his contract. I really don't see Essendon shopping him after 2 years.
They're already shopping him via Caldum because they know he's no good.

The risk is very real, that Smillie develops a tank, and ends up better than Cripps.
It's a very small risk. Go have a look at Cripps' draft year vision. He'd just had a growth spurt and gone from being a small to a big midfielder. Still a baby face and puppy fat and yet showing the power and ball handling. Smillie has always been big, is not particularly powerful (he can get stronger but power is like speed, it's largely fast-twitch stuff that you either have or haven't), fumbles below his knees and goes to ground multiple times per game. He's no Cripps.

The other risk is that FOS has an injury free run, and ends up better than Butters
There's a very good chance he will, that's why we take him at 1.

Both IMHO project as better players than Jagga
FOS definitely, Smillie line-ball.

If draft was today, who would people take?

I'm currently on the Sid Draper bandwagon.

Perfomance: I think he's only behind Smith & early season Smillie and last year he was ahead of both. Considering he missed pre-season this is an incredible effort.

Traits: He's quick, elite agility, uses it well, he's strong through the hips and core, has a good defensive side for an elite mid.

Fit: on a needs basis, which is just a bonus to the above, he's the one that fits best with TT & Hopper.

I really struggle to see how he doesn't end up a better player than Smith. The downside and something I have no way of knowing is he could end up a better player for Smith for Adelaide/Port if he bails lol.
Mick Jagger Dancing GIF

Take Simms as an example. He was inconsistent to start the season. He played one outstanding game at the Champs among some decent and quieter games. People blew up over him... now on the weekend he was back to disappearing again.
Was he fried or did he run out of steam?

(i'll see myself out)

Watched the first 15 mins of Eastern v Gippsland as thats all they've out up so now I've missed half of Q1 and Q2.

Smillie was very good in this patch when in midfield. Went to FF for bits of it.

Lindsay looks so much like a bigger Gulden but then missed a set shot from 25 out straight in front 🤔

They are the exact types we should steer well clear of: other clubs' mistakes. There are busts early in every draft, and history is littered with failed attempts to redeem some perceived 'upside'. Jimmy Toumpas, Cale Morton, Jono O'Rourke, Dom Tyson, Jarrod Pickett, Paul Ahern, Corey Ellis, Ben Lennon, Josh Schache, Aaron Francis...the list goes on and on.

Stay away.

yeah probably right. I do struggle to think of examples of high picks that have flopped early and come good years down the track (talls aside).

just saying I don't mind us exploring what appear to be low-cost / high-upside options - whether or not Tsatas/Phillips are the right ones.

Finding our next Griggs + Houlis would be priceless for the rebuild.

I dont know how we do it, but please can we have,

Draper
Lalor
Faull
Gerreyn
Saints get pick 5 compensation for Battle. We give them pick 1 and 35 for picks 4 and 5. Trade Rioli and F3 to GC for picks 7 and 10. Package up later picks for Lions first. Baker to Freo for pick 12.

End up with picks 4, 5, 7, 10, 12 and 16....

We probably have enough ACL recoveries on the list. 😂😂😂

Was watching his videos again this morning. His agility is off the charts and very strong forward of centre which is exactly what we need. If we have 5 top 25 picks he'd be worth a crack somewhere.
I'd strongly consider if we get a 2nd 1st rnd pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yeah probably right. I do struggle to think of examples of high picks that have flopped early and come good years down the track (talls aside).

just saying I don't mind us exploring what appear to be low-cost / high-upside options - whether or not Tsatas/Phillips are the right ones.

Finding our next Griggs + Houlis would be priceless for the rebuild.
Tsatas and Phillips are the wrong ones, but the right ones are out there. At least one that Toce drafted.

Just my thought.

Jagga Smith is the type that turbo charges a good midfield.Gets the ball and spreads it out, a lot every day, against anyone. But doesn't rip the game apart. So probably not pick 1. But wow! if he had good players around him he could turn a good midfield into a dominant one. I'd seriously be looking to get multiple picks inside top 10 to try and get that balance of players.

But I also want a good KPF.

Drafting team will earn the $ this year. Build a midfield and forward line. And Jagga + A grade mid = :heartssuit:

Saints get pick 5 compensation for Battle. We give them pick 1 and 35 for picks 4 and 5. Trade Rioli and F3 to GC for picks 7 and 10. Package up later picks for Lions first. Baker to Freo for pick 12.

End up with picks 4, 5, 7, 10, 12 and 16....
Why would the Saints do that though? They are more farked than us IMO.

How cheap do we think Tsatas will be with 2 years left on his contract. I really don't see Essendon shopping him after 2 years.
Does the contract help in that we take it off their hands? I'd be hoping for a pick swap situation. A 3rd rounder for their 4th rounder etc

Just my thought.

Jagga Smith is the type that turbo charges a good midfield.Gets the ball and spreads it out, a lot every day, against anyone. But doesn't rip the game apart. So probably not pick 1. But wow! if he had good players around him he could turn a good midfield into a dominant one. I'd seriously be looking to get multiple picks inside top 10 to try and get that balance of players.

But I also want a good KPF.

Drafting team will earn the $ this year. Build a midfield and forward line. And Jagga + A grade mid = :heartssuit:
The more I read about these draftees the more I'd consider trading just about anyone for top 20 picks. I know some people say you can't get too many young kids in at once, but 5 out of the top 20 would be a big part of the rebuild.

FOS definitely, Smillie line-ball.

Why would the Saints do that though? They are more farked than us IMO.
Why would we do it??

Some posters post on here as if other clubs are f... morons

We go backwards because we want worse players??? yeah right.

BTW Tsatas has a 2 year contract with the bombers, if we do the draft well by that time he will be racing to join us if he is good enough and we are smart about it and our draft selections. It just highlights some types have substitutes, others not so much. Tsatas can see how the bombers go, does not work out?? jump ship?

The more I read about these draftees the more I'd consider trading just about anyone for top 20 picks. I know some people say you can't get too many young kids in at once, but 5 out of the top 20 would be a big part of the rebuild.
I am definitely warming to the idea of losing baker plus one of Shai or Rioli.

Does the contract help in that we take it off their hands? I'd be hoping for a pick swap situation. A 3rd rounder for their 4th rounder etc
Probably depends when they signed him. He's only been there 18 months and he signed an extension. Doesn't feel like they'll be trying to palm him off.

Smillie is either carrying something or a team has got in his ear. Watch him pre Champs vs during and after and it's a different player. Maybe pressure of #1 is getting to him as season goes on.

He had a burst at start of year, now is just plodding along or he will do it for a quarter and then cruise.
Never been in that position but if you a top draftee why push for number one? I think they get something from NAB or whatever but it is academic if any good

Does anyone know the Josh Smillie story??? if there is one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back