Trade period / National Draft 2024

Which out of contract player should we trade?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we can go into next year with Armstrong, Faull, Gray and Fawcett as developing key forwards we'll be well placed to find a couple of best 22 keys.

Plus we'll still have Lynch and Kosi as stopgaps as well as Lefau who could be anything.
And if Ludowyke ends up a standout then I'm sure we can make it work or we have some trade bait.

Agree, that's why I'm not that high on Shanahan. Kicked 4 against the worst team to ever exist but was all just lead/mark. I want to see some aggression at the ball and the man for defensive pressure.
Yep, I want my KPF's nasty, Lynch at his best, thats perfect.

Just saw this for anyone interested.

If Lalor has a strong last two games for the rebels I think we've gotta take him

In the last 10 years the top 10 picks that were MID-FWDs over 185cm are Petracca, De Goey, Taranto, Rayner, E.Hollands, JHF, Humphrey, Phillipou, H.Reid. If those players are the floor then I think the ceiling is worth the risk.

Footy is definitely becoming more like the NFL, in terms of considering positional value a lot more. Good KPPs are so important, so you take them first if you can. There's barely any in the top end of this draft. The MID-FWD wins games, we of all people, know that

It's a simplistic argument but watching him he's definitely not a "plodder", he's a gun, he looks the part, a beast, strong overhead, has big moments, kicks goals
He did bugger all during the champs. Hung around in the forward line most games getting run off all day and then jagging a couple of goals late to keep his spot.

This is a classic case of internet drafting contagion gone mad.

8 possessions and 1 goal in the final champs game. He'd be as big a disaster as Fiora over Pavlich and Tambling over Franklin

Agree on Reid's kicking.

I'm not convinced on Langford. Something still irks me with him. If we were to get 1, 6, 7 & 12 then give me the other 4 and I'll pack Rioli and Bolton's bags no issues. 😆

I'll even drive them. Bolton might be shitty driving to Perth via GC but tough luck.
Pick 6 for Daniel
Pick 7 and 12 for shai

Pick 6 for Daniel
Pick 7 and 12 for shai
I'm getting 5,7 & 13 if we get belted this week lol.

FOS, Lalor, Armstrong, Lindsay then Berry/Hotton & Faull/Sims. Thanks for coming, see you all next year. ;)

If Lalor has a strong last two games for the rebels I think we've gotta take him

In the last 10 years the top 10 picks that were MID-FWDs over 185cm are Petracca, De Goey, Taranto, Rayner, E.Hollands, JHF, Humphrey, Phillipou, H.Reid. If those players are the floor then I think the ceiling is worth the risk.

Footy is definitely becoming more like the NFL, in terms of considering positional value a lot more. Good KPPs are so important, so you take them first if you can. There's barely any in the top end of this draft. The MID-FWD wins games, we of all people, know that

It's a simplistic argument but watching him he's definitely not a "plodder", he's a gun, he looks the part, a beast, strong overhead, has big moments, kicks goals
Seen enough of him to say he will almost certainly be one of the best mid-sized forwards in the comp with a bit of development. This is an area we desperately lack in. His ability to rotate through the middle and impact as well is icing on the cake. We'd be crazy not to take him if we've got a second pick around the top 10 imo.

He did bugger all during the champs. Hung around in the forward line most games getting run off all day and then jagging a couple of goals late to keep his spot.

This is a classic case of internet drafting contagion gone mad.

8 possessions and 1 goal in the final champs game. He'd be as big a disaster as Fiora over Pavlich and Tambling over Franklin
Was playing half forward and I reckon in that final game that you watched he attended under 5 centre bounces, all of which were in that first quarter. No point in acting like you're above 'internet drafting' fella, you're down here with us too hahah

Last edited:
A fascinating watch as we saw some of the best and worst of Xavier in the one performance. Like all the Power team he struggled enormously with the intense Rebels pressure throughout the game but especially in the first half, a half in which the Power fell well behind on the scoreboard and I've never seen Lindsay miss so many targets. In the second half he tried to lift both himself and his team, and in doing so he made even more mistakes including giving away free kicks, but in spite of that his relentless attack on the contest inspired his teammates and they mounted a strong comeback that ultimately fell short.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon we’ll end up with a couple of talls with the draft hand we hold
Even if we do load up with mids early, there’ll be some good talls in the 20s, 30s

There’s the obvious talls mentioned plenty of times here but there may be a couple of sliders like O’Farrell, Mraz that have been injured. Rohr and Gerreyn from WA. Nicholls and Dodson ( if we want a ruck) from SA.
Just my perception but tall forwards recruited in the first 20 picks seem to have the highest rate of success by a lot. After that it seems to be random chance.

Just my perception but tall forwards recruited in the first 20 picks seem to have the highest rate of success by a lot. After that it seems to be random chance.
You’re probably right. This draft is deep however, so some good players will fall.

I guess the old adage , best available with our early picks. And if that’s 2,3 quality mids , then surely we just do it. No sense reaching for a tall if there’s better options

What if we end with pick 2 and the team with 1 take Ludowyke? What if Ludowyke does an ACL? Sharp, Greeves, Onley and Rodriguez are also very good so what if Ludowyke is more a 5-10 rated player do we reach on pick 1?

We should grab a key forward this year, whether it's Armstrong in top 10 or someone with a 20ish pick is up for debate. There will definitely be guys in our range.

It would be dangerous to ignore our KPF need again
It's why we hired Louie. Some other club better not poach him from us

Was playing half forward and I reckon in that final game that you watched he attended under 5 centre bounces, all of which were in that first quarter. No point in acting like you're above 'internet drafting' fella, you're down here with us too hahah
From what I've read, Lalor was coming back from injury so was playing limited midfield minutes as he built up match fitness

Yeah ok fair point.......but I'm the best internet drafter of em all. :)

From what I've read, Lalor was coming back from injury so was playing limited midfield minutes as he built up match fitness
I find that a flimsy excuse. Lalor has had plenty of footy between GGS and Vic Country this year. O'Sullivan and Faull have been injured for most the year and were clearly underdone so I give them a free pass

Last edited:
What if we end with pick 2 and the team with 1 take Ludowyke? What if Ludowyke does an ACL? Sharp, Greeves, Onley and Rodriguez are also very good so what if Ludowyke is more a 5-10 rated player do we reach on pick 1?

We should grab a key forward this year, whether it's Armstrong in top 10 or someone with a 20ish pick is up for debate. There will definitely be guys in our range.

It would be dangerous to ignore our KPF need again

There are plenty of KPF’s in this draft and I’m certain we will use one of our top-30 picks on at least one of them. Assuming we have 6 x top-30 picks I’d guess 1 x KPF, 1 x KPF/Ruck, 3 x midfielders and 1 x mid/fwd.

Elite mids can easily be played off HBF (ala Scheezel, Naicos).

Let’s assume Bolton, Graham, Rioli, Baker, Dusty, Grimes, Cumbo, Pickett and Grimes are all gone, and everyone on our list is fit … here is our team Round 23 2025:

B: Broad. Miller. Gibcus
HB: Vlastuin. Balta. T Brown
C: Hugo. Hopper. Banks
HF: Mansell. Lefau. Campbell
F: MRJ. Lynch. Kosi
R: Nank. Taranto. #1 pick
I/C: Ross. McAuliffe. Smith. Green. Clarke
E: Tresize. 2nd draft pick. 3rd draft pick

It’s not ‘jump off the Westgate’ bad.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

There are plenty of KPF’s in this draft and I’m certain we will use one of our top-30 picks on at least one of them. Assuming we have 6 x top-30 picks I’d guess 1 x KPF, 1 x KPF/Ruck, 3 x midfielders and 1 x mid/fwd.

Elite mids can easily be played off HBF (ala Scheezel, Naicos).

Let’s assume Bolton, Graham, Rioli, Baker, Dusty, Grimes, Cumbo, Pickett and Grimes are all gone, and everyone on our list is fit … here is our team Round 23 2025:

B: Broad. Miller. Gibcus
HB: Vlastuin. Balta. T Brown
C: Hugo. Hopper. Banks
HF: Mansell. Lefau. Campbell
F: MRJ. Lynch. Kosi
R: Nank. Taranto. #1 pick
I/C: Ross. McAuliffe. Smith. Green. Clarke
E: Tresize. 2nd draft pick. 3rd draft pick

It’s not ‘jump off the Westgate’ bad.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We will be picking first again in the draft next year. Absolutely it's bad.

But we need to start somewhere. This is ground zero of the rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back