Mega Thread Trade Targets 2018 (2018 Trade Period Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They reckon Jake Lloyd and Nic Newman getting crap offers at the Swans (could you even say they're lowballing them? Surely not! Thought only the Crows did that). Lloyd would be a big get if we could nab him.

Nah, I still haven't forgiven Jake Lloyd for the sh*tfest that was Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace. Don't want him at the club.

I'm in this boat.

Look at what happened to Menzel, he was kicking goals at AFL level and still turned to sh!t. Yet they want us to pony up something decent for a guy who is playing in the magoos? GTFO, we're taking on all the risk here.

To be clear I would still be keen on Francis but only for free (third round pick or higher).

Menzel had a whole bunch of off field issues, that he had no one to blame but himself for. Combine that with poor work rate/attitude and you get what you deserve.

Francis is in a completely different boat, it's apples and oranges. Poor comparison.

Francis would be a huge upgrade over Kelly. He's always had the talent and a level head, he's just struggled for well publicised reasons. A late 2nd/3rd is where he probably sits at this stage having played no AFL. If he gets back to playing AFL level and showing something, then expect that price to rise slightly.

He requested a trade last year however, so if he does the same then that should favour the SA clubs massively.

They reckon Jake Lloyd and Nic Newman getting crap offers at the Swans (could you even say they're lowballing them? Surely not! Thought only the Crows did that). Lloyd would be a big get if we could nab him.

Jake Lloyd off the Wing would be swell.

We would have to listen to BT say ‘Lllllllloyyyd’ every time he gets the pill would sour that for me!

Menzel had a whole bunch of off field issues, that he had no one to blame but himself for. Combine that with poor work rate/attitude and you get what you deserve.

Francis is in a completely different boat, it's apples and oranges. Poor comparison.

Francis would be a huge upgrade over Kelly. He's always had the talent and a level head, he's just struggled for well publicised reasons. A late 2nd/3rd is where he probably sits at this stage having played no AFL. If he gets back to playing AFL level and showing something, then expect that price to rise slightly.

He requested a trade last year however, so if he does the same then that should favour the SA clubs massively.

So Francis doesn't have off field issues? Francis doesn't have work rate concerns?

It's an apt comparison.

I'm sure he would easily be an upgrade on Kelly if he lived up to his potential. But it's just that, potential. It's easy to get in trouble paying players based on potential.

How does the live trading work in this year's draft? Is it like the NBA Draft currently on today? They appear to be able to trade throughout the trade after they've made their picks. So they can on trade their drafted player for another drafted player from a different pick, plus also combine future draft picks. Is the AFL draft similar?

So Francis doesn't have off field issues? Francis doesn't have work rate concerns?

It's an apt comparison.

I'm sure he would easily be an upgrade on Kelly if he lived up to his potential. But it's just that, potential. It's easy to get in trouble paying players based on potential.

Off field issues while put under the same umbrella can be completely different. As I said, Menzel's were all his own doing, he dug his own grave and couldn't have given 2 shits. Francis on the other hand is in another boat altogether. Dealing with depression after losing his brother and moving away from a close family is very different imo, and a lot easier to rectify than Menzel's destructive behaviour.

Francis has never had work rate problems imo. There's a difference between not being fit enough or endurance being a weakness, than not actually applying yourself in the first place.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And they want Mitch to try and convince Jeremy to go there.
If a club needs to trade in Mitch to get Jeremy via FA, they will want a quick trade deal... so we should be going for a premium if he wants out under contract. They potentially lose 2 players if no deal is done.

Jake Lloyd is worth going after with a decent deal.

Heading to port then
Yep, chocco was even saying the other day that he was reminding silk who he was playing for his 350th (us obv) as if that was meant to inspire him more.... he's been at the hawks for **** knows how long now, surely couldn't give 2 shits about the pear crows rivalry. The hate is still strong with ol chocmister. Shiel would be out of the will quicker than you can say 119!

Jake Lloyd is worth going after with a decent deal.

I wouldnt be opposed to Nic Newman either.

Lloyd is the cream of the crop obviously, but Newman could be a very handy HBF/winger squad player to add to the mix if we can get him cheap-ish

His kicking is very inconsistent for a player with decent skills, my biggest concern. But a tough player who at least runs hard and can kick 60m. Could maybe slot onto a wing for us in place of Atkins and provide small defender depth at the same time.

Unsure of why Horse doesn't rate him though. He looked great least year when he was consistently getting selected. Looks completely shot of confidence this year after they refuse to keep him in the side.

I wouldnt be opposed to Nic Newman either.

Lloyd is the cream of the crop obviously, but Newman could be a very handy HBF/winger squad player to add to the mix if we can get him cheap-ish

His kicking is very inconsistent for a player with decent skills, my biggest concern. But a tough player who at least runs hard and can kick 60m. Could maybe slot onto a wing for us in place of Atkins and provide small defender depth at the same time.

Unsure of why Horse doesn't rate him though. He looked great least year when he was consistently getting selected. Looks completely shot of confidence this year after they refuse to keep him in the side.
Newman’s turning circle isn’t great. Vulnerable defensively.

His kicking looks good but it’s not amazing, just decent.

Handy depth but not an A grade at all. Don’t see a heap of improvement in him either.

Lloyd on the other hand would fit in perfectly for us. Another two-way player to slot in.

With Smith Milera Lloyd running out of defence we would be a heck of a lot more dangerous on the rebound.

Newman’s turning circle isn’t great. Vulnerable defensively.

His kicking looks good but it’s not amazing, just decent.

Handy depth but not an A grade at all. Don’t see a heap of improvement in him either.

Lloyd on the other hand would fit in perfectly for us. Another two-way player to slot in.

With Smith Milera Lloyd running out of defence we would be a heck of a lot more dangerous on the rebound.

Yeah, only like Newman if he came cheap. A decent squad player, but one that actually has grunt and puts in work unlike some other plodders.

Lloyd/Milera/Smith is too much offence for just the backline. One would have to play on a wing you'd think. Llyod wouldn't come cheap either and I'm not sure he's a huge priority with Seed/Smith/Milera, given the cost.

Tbf Menzel's work rate and effort were excellent. Just didn't fit in to the group dynamic. Never seen a player in space ignored so much to bomb it on Eddie's head in a 3 on 1.

Yeah. I think Lloyd is a really tidy player. But we have Smith/Laird/Milera for that role already. Not to mention we will get a better look at McPhearson over the remainder of the season. His first game back for us at SANFL level seemed to be very good. 15 touches on a day when that was around about equal second best behind Hampton. Very impressive given he is a first year draftee that missed the pre-season and most of last season. Last thing I want is for us to trade picks for a player that will block him.

We should be drafting for talent and trading in players for need. Francis would be good if we can see him in the Cheney/Kelly mode. That is where we are lacking in the backline.

This thread has thrown up no one realistic except maybe a total roughie in Francis in the unlikely event Essendon don't ask wicked overs for him.

It's the draft all the way this year.

Tbf Menzel's work rate and effort were excellent. Just didn't fit in to the group dynamic. Never seen a player in space ignored so much to bomb it on Eddie's head in a 3 on 1.

Agree, I noticed it too and posted the same thing when he was playing. But he still left a lot to be desired at some stages, and by all reports I don't think he applied himself off the field.

Malcolm Blight could do it and would not be afraid to make tough calls. Did a similar job at gc i think or was maybe just on the board. Not sure.

Surely by this point of time we should be not entertaining the option that failed at a previous club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back