Trade Week Over - Who won, Who Lost??

Remove this Banner Ad

They may have depth in crap players, but at least their players don't partake in "other" activities.

What like ten pin bowling, social game of tennis, lets see what other activities could you refer to?

You wouldn't know what activities your own players got up to mate, so pull your head in!

While I don't think Richmond were the big winners out of trade week I think they did well with the trades that they did make. Picked up a former top 10 pick in McMahon and Morton who was regarded as a top 10 pick when he was taken F/S by the Eagles for technically a 3rd round pick only.

The reason I say that is the way I look at it pick 18 is the first pick of the second round and although we gave up 19 I don't think it will be as great a blunder as some are making it out to be.

McMahon is only 24 has played 100 games and will slot straight into the starting 22, the player we would have picked at 19 probably would have spent a year at Coburg with say a handful of games if lucky.

Mitch Morton is yet to turn 21 and will quite possibly slot into the starting 22 as well. Again the kid we would have taken at 35 may not even play a game in 08 or in fact at all in the next 2 years.

Basically we added to starting 22 calibre players and gave away little in return still have 2 picks in the top 20 of the draft to add a couple of quality kids and depending on who slips through to the PSD could still add another highly rated player to the list.

Winners

Carlton- Picked up Judd for well under the odds, and I believe Hadley is a top player who if he gets lucky with injury could be a steal. 9/10

WCE- 4 picks in the top 25 and Kennedy, only time will tell if he can deliver. Basically it was like us finishing bottom 3 last year, the Judd trade gave a side that was already in the top 4 a chance to rebuild. 8/10

Bulldogs- Got a total steal for the cardboard box that is Jordan McMahon, I would have said 3rd rounder and yet they end up with pick 18. Tim Callan was another steal, should be a star just never got a chance at Geelong. The only strange trade was the exchange of picks with WCE, unsure why this was needed? 8/10

Fremantle- Hallelujah! Finally perhaps they are getting it! Don't trade away quality picks for marginal players, build on what you have. Staying out of trades was clearly a win for Freo. 10/10

Brisbane- At this stage of their development they would be very happy to pick up TJ and probably paid a pretty good price in the end. Hadley a good player but was going nowhere at Brisbane and really its for the best that hes gone. 8/10

Middle of the Road

Geelong- Strange trading, however i'm sure they are happy with their list and needed to clear some salary. 5/10

Adelaide- Would be dissapointed to lose Meesen for 29 picks worse than when they got him at 8. Adequate compensation for Mattner I believe and Symes was a win. Trading a broken down old Ben Hudson was probably a 50-50. 6/10

Port- Only the Symes trade and after picking him for the GF it seems strange they would then offload him. Trade was win-win. 6/10

Melbourne- Got John Meesen for nothing which was a good result, however putting so much time and effort into club fav and #1 pick Johnstone and only recieving pick 14 can't be considered a win. 6.5/10

Kangaroos- Losing Moran is basically a win even if you get nothing in return. 5/10

Collingwood- Yeah they got a good player in Cameron Wood, however IMO pick 14 is slightly over the odds. 6/10

Richmond- Almost a loss. IMO when you finish bottom and have early picks you get them for a reason - TO REBUILD. You don't then go trading for failed players from other sides. McMahon a total rip-off at pick 19. Morton a decent pick up for only pick 35 and could be very handy with a change of environment. 4.5/10

Losers

St Kilda- Hacks, hacks and more hacks. Are these guys serious? King 1 year left if thatand Dempster was used as the Sydney boot boy. The only half decent player is Schneider and he is a hungry ball hog and they already have Milne. Ross Lyon has obviously had a stroke, because backlogging your list with a bunch of vegetables does not get you any closer to a premiership. Terrible trading IMO. 1/10

Sydney- ALERT ALERT, TOUGH TIMES AHEAD. The only explanation for the abomination that was Sydney's trade week is that Paul Roos must have thought he was playing Dream Team and you have unlimited trades. Handing over 2 premiership players for burnt toast, picking up Mattner who has worse leg than Louise Savage and Henry Playfair who wouldn't get a game at the Telethon XVI. Sydney are in for a rude awakening this year, back to the early 90's. 0/10

Not Involved

Hawthorn- Sensible, they have a great list no need to much around.

Essendon- Again sensible, Knights has made the hard decisions cut some hacks like Bolton and Cole and saved his picks for good young talent. I got a feeling Knights could be a real winner. Essendon remind me a bit of the WCE when Woosha took over in 2002, make the hard decisions and reep the benefits.

short term though?

do you guys have any good young rucks coming through? brooks is shit isn't he? rix could be ok
Brooks hasnt really shown jack and Rix hasnt done much better....hence our last 2 seasons trades for unwanted rucks, best thing that can be said is that we have taken a shot and if it doesnt work we didnt pay squat for em.

Just trying to turn a hole in our side into a slight depression, happy enough with short term atm but really hoping they have a plan to do something long term that I dont see as waiting to see what ex ruck we grab is getting old. That said I'll reiterate the point we havent really spent anything to do so.

For me Carlton did the best (will wait and see if it works long term
WC did great in the situation they were in
Collingwood didnt do much but it what they did was good
Saints are Gambling a bit but its almost like the house shouting the stake anyway and happy enough with Scheider...hopefully at the very least makes Milne kick it up a notch.

See your problem is youve added mpore average players onto an already average list....
We know your list has 6 or 7 very good players.. its the average players that come after those 6 or 7 that let you down....

Why add to them???

You are a deadset fool.

What you are saying is we should only add players to our list equal to the likes of Reiwoldt, Kosi, Ball, hayes etc. ??????

Not even Carlton's brown paper bags would allow that to happen.

You are a deadset fool.

What you are saying is we should only add players to our list equal to the likes of Reiwoldt, Kosi, Ball, hayes etc. ??????

Not even Carlton's brown paper bags would allow that to happen.
I mentioned those 7 players.. and the other 35 are hacks!!!

GONE!!!! :)

If you think youre going to top up with rubbish when you have a list of average players already.., youre kidding!!!

Mark my words...

Work out how many players you have traded for and how many you have drafted in the National draft as first time players...

Amazingly stupid footy dept...

GONE!!!

Brisbane- At this stage of their development they would be very happy to pick up TJ and probably paid a pretty good price in the end

Melbourne- Putting so much time and effort into club fav and #1 pick Johnstone and only recieving pick 14 can't be considered a win.
It's a win for both. Johnstone will thrive in a team where he isn't expected to show leadership. Melbourne will thrive by trading a player who it expected over 10 years to show some leadership and didn't manage to show one scintilla.

I don't know about the the Carlton trades. They got Judd ( with possible groin problems but let's assume his fit), Hadley and kept no 1 ( they get the ruckman Kreuzer who will take at least a year or two to develop).

But after no 1 their next trade is 36 so while they have added to their stock of experienced players (it should be remembered they lost Kouta and Lappin so they are likely to be ahead there) in terms of young picks the best may be gone by no 36.

So for a team that came last, they actually may not improve a great deal especially as Whitnall is declining.

Your a spanner. We won't improve with Judd and Hadley and Pick 1 :eek:

I mentioned those 7 players.. and the other 35 are hacks!!!

GONE!!!! :)

If you think youre going to top up with rubbish when you have a list of average players already.., youre kidding!!!

Mark my words...

Work out how many players you have traded for and how many you have drafted in the National draft as first time players...

Amazingly stupid footy dept...

GONE!!!

I would quite happily take Steven King over Ackland in the ruck any day. The fact we got him for pick 90 is a steal. Win for us.

Schneidreman will also give us a bit of bite around goals as well, so a good get for pick 26. Win for us.

Both those guys would quite easily slot into your side and perhaps squeeze into most of the other sides at the minute.

Both the other 2 picks are significant improvments on Raymond and the other bloke we delisted (can't even remember his name). Win for us.

Make a valid point or stop typing left handed scrotum cheeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a win for both. Johnstone will thrive in a team where he isn't expected to show leadership. Melbourne will thrive by trading a player who it expected over 10 years to show some leadership and didn't manage to show one scintilla.

I agree with those comments. Melbourne can't be blamed for putting their faith in a player who never fully delivered. However it can't really be considered a win, a top 10 pick for Johnstone would have been a win, pick 14 is 50-50.

I would quite happily take Steven King over Ackland in the ruck any day. The fact we got him for pick 90 is a steal. Win for us.

Schneidreman will also give us a bit of bite around goals as well, so a good get for pick 26. Win for us.

Both those guys would quite easily slot into your side and perhaps squeeze into most of the other sides at the minute.

Both the other 2 picks are significant improvments on Raymond and the other bloke we delisted (can't even remember his name). Win for us.

Make a valid point or stop typing left handed scrotum cheeks.
How can King be an improvement on anyone?
How many games did he play?
Can he string any together?
He cant jump cant run as it is.
Dont look at the GF thats all he had.. he gave it all.. and now hes taking his super...along with Gardiner/Rix and Brooks... theyre all crap/
Schneider??...what will he give you?Bite??? You just got yourself a Milne to add to the Milne you have already....

The other two players you got... are hacks too!!!.. theyre average.. they have NO UPSIDE.... you already have average footballers..

Its like cholesterol.. its clogs up your list and you end up getting a heartattack!!!

Work out how many players youve drafted from the underage competition....

You are clutching at straws if you think the players you brought in are going to change the makeup of that side....

Theyre competing with other bananas for a spot ...you have to IMPROVE you cant delist 5 average players and replace them with 5 average players...

And youre not going to make up for losing GTrain with those kinds of players..

NO WAY!!!

Judd- instant improvement

Hadley- plodder

Pick 1 - you really think he will get a spot from Day 1 ? 2 years at least for whoever they pick

Carlton will be 10-14 next year.
Hadley may be a ploder.. but we didnt bring in FOUR hadleys....you did....

The recycle kings..

If you want to go chase someone at least chase someone who will make a difference...

None of your players will make a difference...

GONE!!!!!

Next year the reality sets in....

The recycle kings..

If you want to go chase someone at least chase someone who will make a difference...

GONE!!!!!

lol I love your posts as the serious thought and lack of hysteria they are delivered with are gold :thumbsu: makes a change from those types who have a hard on to bag a certain club regardless of what they do:rolleyes:

if melbourne also trade bruce, green and all the other non-deliverers in their team for a first round pick when they get to 27 then over the long term they'll be the greatest traders in history

TBH i'm surprised the re-signed robertson, they could have r*ped the bulldogs by hanging him in front of them

The recycle kings..

GONE!!!!!

The reality is King will be up against Ackland, and Saddington against our worst forward.

I like that reality alot :D

essendon had to be the big winners. seriously how boring are we.
the possibilities we had at some stage were:
giving up:
mark johnson
dyson
bradley

getting:
prismall
brennan
and there was a bit of talk about mcmahon but that was always unlikely

so a few options there and what do we do...NOTHING! the list we've got isnt that impressive dons.

St.Kilda taking King isn't that bad if they get McEvoy with there first pick, would help the young man develop his game. It would also release Kosi to play forward. Schneider might be handy but the others, why even bother?

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Week Over - Who won, Who Lost??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back