Training Training Reports - Current report, Monday 13th February, Post #1427

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll add a couple of observations about today's training. First lets start with last Monday. It was hot...very hot. The session was a very tough session that went for three and a half hours. The players were buggered when they came off. Second, today's session was considerably easier.

There were two things that took my interest. In past years there has been practically no specific work done on intercept marking. Today there was a drill specifically devoted to this skill. Extending on that thought is my observation that there has been a MASSIVE improvement in taking one grab marks.

The second thing is the way Henderson is going about it. If this form continues he's a lock for the spot vacated by Hill's departure. Henderson is showing his capacity as an endurance runner, somewhat surprisingly given his reputation he wins the contested ball (that is he ain't no Clinton Young or a Lonie twin), and he disposes of the pill with beautiful kicks and accurate sharp handballs. Hes got an AFL ready body and is about Birchell's height. So Billy I reckon he's marked your card son !!

Speaking of Billy, Rats gave him a public dressing down last Wednesday. Looking at the exchange between the two of them......exchange not the correct word as Rats did the talking and Billy was trying not to trip over his bottom lip. I watched this through the bois even though they were very close to the fence on the grandstand side just near to where the players come onto the field. I think Billy has been told to step up or **** off. Hence his efforts today as reported by Axman.

Some good news is that Fitzy has had a great preseason to-date, in a massive contrast with last year. The other thing about Fitzy is that last year he could only jump off his left leg so the opposition could neutralise him by blocking his left side. He can now take off from either leg which greatly improves his ability to compete in the ruck contests.

Apart from ball movement drill by foot and hand the biggest emphasis this preseason has been clearances from very congested situations. Clarko might have said in 2016 that we don't take any notice of clearance stats. Well that ain't the case in 2017

JOR was running freely today.

Axman might have faith in Langford, but I don't. He fumbles the ball which means he gets caught when he's in tight and hence scrambles his kick if he can get a foot to the ball. When he's out in more space he's still not clean when taking possession and can't hit the side (of a very big) barn with his kicks. His physical attack on the ball is commendably courageous but that's not enough in today's footy.
About time .....

I'll add a couple of observations about today's training. First lets start with last Monday. It was hot...very hot. The session was a very tough session that went for three and a half hours. The players were buggered when they came off. Second, today's session was considerably easier.

There were two things that took my interest. In past years there has been practically no specific work done on intercept marking. Today there was a drill specifically devoted to this skill. Extending on that thought is my observation that there has been a MASSIVE improvement in taking one grab marks.

The second thing is the way Henderson is going about it. If this form continues he's a lock for the spot vacated by Hill's departure. Henderson is showing his capacity as an endurance runner, somewhat surprisingly given his reputation he wins the contested ball (that is he ain't no Clinton Young or a Lonie twin), and he disposes of the pill with beautiful kicks and accurate sharp handballs. Hes got an AFL ready body and is about Birchell's height. So Billy I reckon he's marked your card son !!

Speaking of Billy, Rats gave him a public dressing down last Wednesday. Looking at the exchange between the two of them......exchange not the correct word as Rats did the talking and Billy was trying not to trip over his bottom lip. I watched this through the bois even though they were very close to the fence on the grandstand side just near to where the players come onto the field. I think Billy has been told to step up or **** off. Hence his efforts today as reported by Axman.

Some good news is that Fitzy has had a great preseason to-date, in a massive contrast with last year. The other thing about Fitzy is that last year he could only jump off his left leg so the opposition could neutralise him by blocking his left side. He can now take off from either leg which greatly improves his ability to compete in the ruck contests.

Apart from ball movement drill by foot and hand the biggest emphasis this preseason has been clearances from very congested situations. Clarko might have said in 2016 that we don't take any notice of clearance stats. Well that ain't the case in 2017

Axman might have faith in Langford, but I don't. He fumbles the ball which means he gets caught when he's in tight and hence scrambles his kick if he can get a foot to the ball. When he's out in more space he's still not clean when taking possession and can't hit the side (of a very big) barn with his kicks. His physical attack on the ball is commendably courageous but that's not enough in today's footy.
Always enjoy reading your thoughts.
Not surprised on the Ricky news
Am surprised on the one grab marking

Fitzy fit if nothing else will give box hill a chance of competing and running the same structures as the seniors, something sorely lacking last year so that is good news

Agree on Langers I feel he's missed the boat and his flaws will keep him out but that little optimistic part of me keeps hoping he will come good, not kick the ball like Mitchell good, more like Sewell.

Re Langford, it might just be blind hope on my part. He was my favorite player in 2014, and it's killing me that he hasn't gotten back to that level so I guess I am looking for any glimmer of hope. I do agree that overall his cleanness and disposal at training has not really been anything to get excited about, just saw a couple of things yesterday that gave me a reason to hope.

Re Henderson, I totally agree.

I also noticed the new intercept marking drills and totally agree with your observation about the improvement in one grab marking. Brand was a stand out, took all of his marks overhead, some at full stretch, with one clean grab. TO'B and Sicily have also been noticeable for their one grab marking.

Has anyone seen much of Schoey?

He normally attracts a bit of attention but to my recollection, he's been somewhat conspicuous by his apparent absence from both ridicule & over-optimism.

I'm hoping for an uninterrupted season to see what he really can bring - is he going OK?

He has been invisible at training. he has been out there in thick of every session but has not got my attention in any of the sessions I have attended, for good or bad reasons. Make of that what you will.

Great work guys.

Axeman, can you PM me your bosses' email address.

I'll ask your boss for a leave pass so you can attend training.

I just need to work attending training in to my annual goals and he won't able to knock you back.

Has anyone seen much of Schoey?

He normally attracts a bit of attention but to my recollection, he's been somewhat conspicuous by his apparent absence from both ridicule & over-optimism.

I'm hoping for an uninterrupted season to see what he really can bring - is he going OK?

His physical shape looks very impressive. He has trimmed down a bit further like so many of our players, to take the extra running load as the sport keeps ratcheting up the running load e.g. the rabid doggies, and the AFL keeps driving down the interchange cap.

While the groin appears to be under control in that he is moving perfectly freely and doing all of the running. One has to wonder if it will stand up under full match conditions. If it does he looks set to have a good year. If not then I don't no what will happen but last year he could not get over that injury at all.

He has not been overly conspicuous on the track.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A big thank you to The Axeman for his excellent training reports. There is little more I could add after reading his posts. Also it is good to read Number 24's thoughts. I have attended 3 training sessions this year and have dubbed Shoey as Mr Invisible. However without having any knowledge about his training program and the instructions he has been given my only observation can be that he looks in very good physical shape. Our young draftees/rookies Harry Morrison, Mitchell Lewis, Oliver Hanrahan, James Cousins and Conor Nash have all shown some promising signs and they have impressed me as being quality young men. 2017 is certainly going to be an exciting year with the introduction of guns JOM and TOM plus the emerging super talent Ryan Burton and leaving the best for last our great new captain Roughy is shaping up to have his best year.

A big thank you to The Axeman for his excellent training reports. There is little more I could add after reading his posts. Also it is good to read Number 24's thoughts. I have attended 3 training sessions this year and have dubbed Shoey as Mr Invisible. However without having any knowledge about his training program and the instructions he has been given my only observation can be that he looks in very good physical shape. Our young draftees/rookies Harry Morrison, Mitchell Lewis, Oliver Hanrahan, James Cousins and Conor Nash have all shown some promising signs and they have impressed me as being quality young men. 2017 is certainly going to be an exciting year with the introduction of guns JOM and TOM plus the emerging super talent Ryan Burton and leaving the best for last our great new captain Roughy is shaping up to have his best year.

Thanks HH. It is always interesting and informative getting your insights into the various players.

When Number 24 posts, I'm envisioning him to be the great Peter Knights

Pleases please be true!

(Don't want anything revealed naturally)
I can't say too much, but I've never seen Number 24 and Peter Knights in the same room at the same time...let's leave it at that...

I was going to ask about Brand:

I also noticed the new intercept marking drills and totally agree with your observation about the improvement in one grab marking. Brand was a stand out, took all of his marks overhead, some at full stretch, with one clean grab. TO'B and Sicily have also been noticeable for their one grab marking.

But here is the answer. Thanks Axe. Looks like we are in for another good ride with Clarko at the helm again.

I've heard rumours that he's been seen around Waverly lately. Does anyone remember what number Knights used to wear ;)

I can confirm four things. First I'm certainly not Peter Knights. Secondly, Peter Knights has been down on the running track at training on a couple of occasions this year. Thirdly, Peter Knights and I have been in the same room on many occasions over many many years. And fourthly, my Number 24 has nothing to do with either Peter Knights or Chris Langford. It pertains to Hawthorns 1959 B&F winner who is pictured in my avatar. He's my cousin.

I can confirm four things. First I'm certainly not Peter Knights. Secondly, Peter Knights has been down on the running track at training on a couple of occasions this year. Thirdly, Peter Knights and I have been in the same room on many occasions over many many years. And fourthly, my Number 24 has nothing to do with either Peter Knights or Chris Langford. It pertains to Hawthorns 1959 B&F winner who is pictured in my avatar. He's my cousin.

So, you ARE Peter Knights!

It was obvious

Lovell (playing for the yellow GOLD team) was matching up against Stewart (playing for the brown team)

Thanks for the report, always great to read yours and others' observations.

Fixed your colour for you too :0

No worries...

Your secret's safe with us, Peter...

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Training Reports - Current report, Monday 13th February, Post #1427

Remove this Banner Ad

Back