Training Training Reports - Current report, Monday 13th February, Post #1427

Remove this Banner Ad

Appreciate the report Number 24!!

As for Hartung. I have the exact same thoughts. He is so one-dimensional and for a guy as small as he is, his agility is so poor. Straight-line runner with no composure. I don't rate him but that's just my opinion. I'd love to be wrong and see him become a quality player.

Oh why oh why didn't we take Zach Merrett instead though...

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

But the caveat is this with respect to Henderson and anyone else........This is pre-season training, not fair dinkum match conditions. That's the real test and when the chickens come home to roost. Or perhaps better put....when the players stand-up to be counted.
That's a very good point. A lot of Adelaide fans used to rave about how he looked at trainings then when the real thing came around, he was underwhelming.

At training you can go in knowing your teammates aren't going to try and hurt you or knock your head off and even that little change can totally change one's mentality.

My how Hartung has fallen. I recall Judd comparisons from our training reporters in the early days!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How has Hartung fallen?
Our training reporters say he's Judd like, then they say he's a liability. This is their opinion only...obviously the initial Judd like comparisons were wrong or the current observations are wrong. It's hard to say which reports were/are accurate. (No I'm not suggesting he's Judd like).
Don't forget many pre-season training reports had Dowler, Thorp and others burning the house down, whilst reporting Burgoyne or Lewis or Hodge were on their last legs.
I think Billy will make it, not as a Judd like superstar, but as an honest contributor, here's hoping anyways.

As an aside, I love the training reports and am continually refreshing to get the latest update. Thankyou muchly for all who take the time not only to go to training, but to report back to all the footy starved hawks supporters on this forum. Words can't express my gratitude.

It was an early start for the lads today. They were to be at the ground at 7am for a meeting then on the track at 7.30. After the usual warm ups there was a 4 quarter match simulation overseen by 2 AFL umpires. Taking a global view of this exercise one could say it was played at a relatively frenetic pace with the ball going from one end to the other very quickly and very few stops in play. One of my co observers commented on the speed the ball was moved from the half back line.

As to the skills they were a bit like the curate's egg........good in parts. The intensity of the contests was much greater than previously seen since the January resumption and this may have contributed to some of the skill errors.

An interesting match up was Connor Nash on Vickery. Vickery beat him hands down but it was a great hit out for Nash to learn how to play football....positioning, decision making etc. Nash has an AFL ready physique but needs to learn how to play the game.

I thought JOM did some really nice things, his kicking was okay but not elite. What really impressed me however was his ability to deliver a fend off then blind turn out of a pack. Yes that's what really good players can do, but what it showed me was that he has no concerns about his knee.

Mitchell did some eye catching things and kicked a goal from 35-40 out on his left from inside a large swarm of players. Players came from everywhere to congratulate him. Now this leads me to a conversation I had with Ricky H today (who continues to impress and caused my co observer to say RH would fight a dog for a bone. Take note Billy). In talking about how he has settled into Hawthorn he commented how easy its been for him because of the quality of the other players, not just in their football abilities but also their qualities as team mates. That was evident in the reaction to the Mitchell goal.

Brand did a bit of one on one with Max Bailey for contested marking and body positioning. Monkey kicked the ball into them from about 40 away. Two things stood out.....Max made Brand seem quite short by comparison and I was underwhelmed by Brands ability to beat the big bloke. I'm not saying it's the death knell for Bailey, it's just my thoughts on what I saw today.

Oh yes, the howler of the day was the hand pass to Langford. Straight to him, under no immediate pressure........and he bloody well grassed it !!!!!

Sicily did some nice things including a 5 or 6 bounce run from half back being hotly pursued by Henderson who could not make ground on him but kept the pressure on him. As often happens after one of these long runs, when Sicily tried to square the ball to a forward in the Hill fashion, he buggered up the kick. But really impressive run and gun play. (Were you watching Billy ?

There were a few other bits and pieces but that's all I can be bothered with today.

Great posting mate. Good to see someone is running the baton in this thread.
I am always curious as to who looks the most likely as the 3rd tall.
Sicily, though I don't see as a tall, would have the inside run & Vickery should assume the ruck/fwd leaving a shootout between Shoey & TOB.

Personally I'd like to see us take in an extra tall this season if they warrant selection so for me Rough, Gunston & Vickery should be locks for the best 22.

Who for you think is no.4?
Sicily
Shoey
TOB
Fitzy...

My theory for the extra tall forward is that Gunston & Roughy can both play in the midfield & contribute considerably in getting some quality ball forward for a tall marking option.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's a very good point. A lot of Adelaide fans used to rave about how he looked at trainings then when the real thing came around, he was underwhelming.

At training you can go in knowing your teammates aren't going to try and hurt you or knock your head off and even that little change can totally change one's mentality.

Yes !! Lowden and Grimley survived for years like that.
You can teach a lad how to kick, how to mark, where to run........but unfortunately Dr Christian Barnard is dead.

(for those too young to know Christian Barnard was a South African surgeon who performed the worlds first successful heart transplant)

It was an early start for the lads today. They were to be at the ground at 7am for a meeting then on the track at 7.30. After the usual warm ups there was a 4 quarter match simulation overseen by 2 AFL umpires. Taking a global view of this exercise one could say it was played at a relatively frenetic pace with the ball going from one end to the other very quickly and very few stops in play. One of my co observers commented on the speed the ball was moved from the half back line.

As to the skills they were a bit like the curate's egg........good in parts. The intensity of the contests was much greater than previously seen since the January resumption and this may have contributed to some of the skill errors.

An interesting match up was Connor Nash on Vickery. Vickery beat him hands down but it was a great hit out for Nash to learn how to play football....positioning, decision making etc. Nash has an AFL ready physique but needs to learn how to play the game.

I thought JOM did some really nice things, his kicking was okay but not elite. What really impressed me however was his ability to deliver a fend off then blind turn out of a pack. Yes that's what really good players can do, but what it showed me was that he has no concerns about his knee.

Mitchell did some eye catching things and kicked a goal from 35-40 out on his left from inside a large swarm of players. Players came from everywhere to congratulate him. Now this leads me to a conversation I had with Ricky H today (who continues to impress and caused my co observer to say RH would fight a dog for a bone. Take note Billy). In talking about how he has settled into Hawthorn he commented how easy its been for him because of the quality of the other players, not just in their football abilities but also their qualities as team mates. That was evident in the reaction to the Mitchell goal.

Brand did a bit of one on one with Max Bailey for contested marking and body positioning. Monkey kicked the ball into them from about 40 away. Two things stood out.....Max made Brand seem quite short by comparison and I was underwhelmed by Brands ability to beat the big bloke. I'm not saying it's the death knell for Bailey, it's just my thoughts on what I saw today.

Oh yes, the howler of the day was the hand pass to Langford. Straight to him, under no immediate pressure........and he bloody well grassed it !!!!!

Sicily did some nice things including a 5 or 6 bounce run from half back being hotly pursued by Henderson who could not make ground on him but kept the pressure on him. As often happens after one of these long runs, when Sicily tried to square the ball to a forward in the Hill fashion, he buggered up the kick. But really impressive run and gun play. (Were you watching Billy ?

There were a few other bits and pieces but that's all I can be bothered with today.

All I read is JOM played and showed no ill effects to his knee.. the rest you can jam

Good to hear Kaiden Brand is being trained to play on the resting ruck, hell some KPF's are 199cm plus now. He is critical to stopping these monsters.

I hope Hartung picks up his bottom lip, that sort of attitude won't get him far.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

As soon as KB learns how to position himself and the art of watching the ball and knowing where his opponent is, he'll be very good.

Great report #24

Does anyone else think our lack of midfield depth has been hindered by the strength of our small forwards? Gone are the days where a young player would get a taste whilst playing out of the forward pocket which is a role i think may have suited Hartung.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Appreciate the report Number 24!!

As for Hartung. I have the exact same thoughts. He is so one-dimensional and for a guy as small as he is, his agility is so poor. Straight-line runner with no composure. I don't rate him but that's just my opinion. I'd love to be wrong and see him become a quality player.

Oh why oh why didn't we take Zach Merrett instead though...

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I'm with you - he's just not tough enough. I hope he proves me wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Training Reports - Current report, Monday 13th February, Post #1427

Remove this Banner Ad

Back