Training Training Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Birchall and Smith playing on ball roles is hopefully a sign of things to come. Hill and Hartung on the wings with Smith running riot in the guts is a tantalising proposition. Birchall getting more of the ball closer to goal is also exciting.

Great to hear JOR having a big impact. Hopefully he is pushing for a spot in the 22 for Round 1.

Sicily will be tough to dislodge if he carries his form over to the NAB games.

Last edited:

Looked over his shoulder to check out his notes. His drawing was nice but he forgot to put a door in the front of the house.
That's cos we trained the house down

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Lithers still banging it long, any other disappointing performances?

We always like to hear who's smashing it, but the poorer performers are often more indicative.

I really don't get the on field love for this chap. Not saying he's not a super bloke and a great contributor at VFL Level...

Every time I see him play it's the same stuff. Works his butt off, compete's hard in the air but plays smaller than his height and is not a great contested mark, good when the pill hits the ground, breaks the lines really well but seems to have one disposal method, hoof it long up the line.

Hardly the MO for a Hawthorn half back these days...

What am I missing???

I really don't get the on field love for this chap. Not saying he's not a super bloke and a great contributor at VFL Level...

Every time I see him play it's the same stuff. Works his butt off, compete's hard in the air but plays smaller than his height and is not a great contested mark, good when the pill hits the ground, breaks the lines really well but seems to have one disposal method, hoof it long up the line.

Hardly the MO for a Hawthorn half back these days...

What am I missing???

I agree to a degree. I think he's definitely AFL worthy. And would have played many more games at 17 other clubs.

He's got some great attributes. Can play tall and small. Is quick. Has a massive roost on him.

However at Hawthorn, if you don't have a great short kicking game; you need to be a KPP generally. He isn't that.

It's unlikely he makes it at Hawthorn unless he improves his short kicking game or we change our game plan.

Will play 150 games of league footy, most likely not at Hawthorn. IMO.

Works his butt off, compete's hard in the air but plays smaller than his height and is not a great contested mark, good when the pill hits the ground, breaks the lines really well but seems to have one disposal method, hoof it long up the line.
I'm not necessarily defending the guy and agree it does seem opposite to the Hawthorn style/ethos but we are not privvy to what his orders/instructions are from the coaching panel. I mean, you'd think if it was bleedin' obvious he was just adopting the 'kick long in hope' methodology against team instructions he'd soon be pulled into line. o_O

I'm not necessarily defending the guy and agree it does seem opposite to the Hawthorn style/ethos but we are not privvy to what his orders/instructions are from the coaching panel. I mean, you'd think if it was bleedin' obvious he was just adopting the 'kick long in hope' methodology against team instructions he'd soon be pulled into line. o_O

You mean like being selected for 13 games for the AFL-level team in 2014 and then less than half that (6) in 2015?

:cool:

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Training Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back