Trash Talking in the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting that Steven May is providing commentary post match about crossing the line when sledging, the bloke sledges his own team-mates!

In saying that I hope that Harrison Petty is okay, intrigued to hear what Dayne Zorko said.

Imagine Michael’s sledge to Brett Voss was said in today’s environment. We’d have snowflakes all over the internet having a breakdown.
Wasn't his sledge
"My dad f*cked your mum"?

The fact they're siblings, actually makes it funny as hell.

Wasn't his sledge
"My dad f*cked your mum"?

The fact they're siblings, actually makes it funny as hell.
That's not a sledge because His brother would have laughed his head off once he knew who it came from. This one is different. This is Des Headland territory IMO if we all remember what happened than.

Trash talking has it's place. If it's about someone's club, if it's about someone's individual performance during the game etc. All of that stuff said to off-put a player in the moment is part of getting a competitive edge.

Then there is a line whereby attacking someone's character, characteristics, family etc and making it personal is simply not okay. It's weak as piss. It says so much more about the person saying it than it does about the victim and yet you still get Gen X mouthbreathers saying "aww but back in my day" or "try playing country footy".

Yeah? Well country footy can't find a player to save themselves so look inward. Clubs merging, disappearing or receding to junior status every bloody week and we want to hold that model up as the standard?

It's the same with physical violence. A bit of push and shove, a bit of jumper grabbing is fine. A genuine ****ing punch should result in jail time and instant deregistration. Period. But no, the footy club wheels out the good bloke excuse and for saving that bloke, you get 10 others who look at that incident and go 'no thanks'.

People talk about the round ball game being soft but it's clear their junior numbers are stronger and it has to be, in part, due to the violent, both physical and verbal, part of footy.

I don't give a shit if what Zorko said was in the heat of the moment or not. Gone for the season.

Let's stop having a go at Petty for supposedly being soft. He wasn't. Let's put the onus on the perpetrator. It isn't up to anyone but Harrison to decide whether the comment was too far.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Brisbane Man, Brisbane values.
ROAR!

I'd reckon Fagan would be upset about his skipper. Letting down the team, besmurching the club, deliberately offending a young man in such a way during the game, that you were smashed in and showed no HEART.

Expect rapid apologies to young Petty, immediately. The Lions can't let this derail their finals campaign.

The real issue with Zorko last night was that not only did he sledge Petty pretty heavily, he always played the man all night. Brisbane would be filthy at his performance given he was the captain. Shocking leadership.

No idea what was said, Petty is a pretty hard at it type, it’s obviously hit a nerve.

This takes me back to when Adam Selwood spoke about Des Headland’s daughter.

The Brisbane Man, Brisbane values.
ROAR!

I'd reckon Fagan would be upset about his skipper. Letting down the team, besmurching the club, deliberately offending a young man in such a way during the game, that you were smashed in and showed no HEART.

Expect rapid apologies to young Petty, immediately. The Lions can't let this derail their finals campaign.
It pretty much has. They’ll finish 5th or 6th and get the WB or Richmond which I can’t see them winning. It’ll take a huge turnaround from here to win a final.

It pretty much has. They’ll finish 5th or 6th and get the WB or Richmond which I can’t see them winning. It’ll take a huge turnaround from here to win a final.
Yep, looked beaten up.
A week off could do wonders though.

If Zorko has said to be rumoured… then see ya later Zorko. You’ve been great for us but there should be no room in afl for that
When you say see you later do you mean the AFL should sanction him?

Seems to me the shame that Zorko carries from now on will be sanction enough. People will bring it up years from now what a dog he was for the sledge.

For mine this one can be left to the players to sort out on field in any future clashes, and Brisbane internally if they see fit.

Things get heated in battle. Petty got upset. I bet Zorko feels like s**t now also.
I don't think Zorko has a sympathetic bone in his body.

Trash Talking in the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back