MRP / Trib. Tribunal Thread - rules and offences discombobulation

Remove this Banner Ad

They have been incredibly consistent with their MESSAGING at the very least over the last five or so years. Not always the outcome/verdict or whatever, but they've always said the same thing:

If you elect to bump, whatever the outcome is - that's your responsibility.

That's exactly what happened here. SPP elected to bump and whether or not the player was slung into him or it wouldn't have been high if such and such happened or whatever... he hit him square in the head and the player was concussed. It's so cut and dry I'm surprised anyone is arguing against it.

The alternative was... not to bump. Very simple. The player was being tackled already, he didn't have to come in. If he did want to come in, he could also join the application of the tackle. He didn't. He went for a bump and he concussed a guy.

Where the other circumstances come into play will now be in his defence - the sling of the tackle, head hit the ground, etc. That will determine the penalty. Whether it be three weeks or five weeks, who knows.

But the fact that he's been cited for this? Absolutely. Every day of the week. Zero argument against it.

They have been incredibly consistent with their MESSAGING at the very least over the last five or so years. Not always the outcome/verdict or whatever, but they've always said the same thing:

That's exactly what happened here. SPP elected to bump and whether or not the player was slung into him or it wouldn't have been high if such and such happened or whatever... he hit him square in the head and the player was concussed. It's so cut and dry I'm surprised anyone is arguing against it.

The alternative was... not to bump. Very simple. The player was being tackled already, he didn't have to come in. If he did want to come in, he could also join the application of the tackle. He didn't. He went for a bump and he concussed a guy.

Where the other circumstances come into play will now be in his defence - the sling of the tackle, head hit the ground, etc. That will determine the penalty. Whether it be three weeks or five weeks, who knows.

But the fact that he's been cited for this? Absolutely. Every day of the week. Zero argument against it.
So he was just ment to jump over him ? Do you no how fast this moment of play was 🧐

PORT Adelaide's Sam Powell-Pepper is set to miss at least the opening three games of the premiership season after being sent straight to the Tribunal for a bump on Mark Keane in Friday's match simulation against Adelaide.

Powell-Pepper collected Keane's head with a hip-and-shoulder bump in the first quarter at Alberton Oval.

Keane had possession when caught in a Willie Rioli tackle that swung the Crow as Powell-Pepper charged in. Powell-Pepper's right shoulder struck Keane on the right side of his head when he decided to bump, with the Irishman suffering a concussion.

Power forward cops monster ban for high hit

It annoys me that the AFL website already sets him up with this 'elected to bump' mantra.

How can he 'elect to bump' - when he ran to the contest Rioli was between him and Keane who was then swung into his path. So he's a mind-reader as well and knew exactly where Keane would be at the point of contact?

PORT Adelaide's Sam Powell-Pepper is set to miss at least the opening three games of the premiership season after being sent straight to the Tribunal for a bump on Mark Keane in Friday's match simulation against Adelaide.

Powell-Pepper collected Keane's head with a hip-and-shoulder bump in the first quarter at Alberton Oval.

Keane had possession when caught in a Willie Rioli tackle that swung the Crow as Powell-Pepper charged in. Powell-Pepper's right shoulder struck Keane on the right side of his head when he decided to bump, with the Irishman suffering a concussion.

It annoys me that the AFL website already sets him up with this 'elected to bump' mantra.

How can he 'elect to bump' - when he ran to the contest Rioli was between him and Keane who was then swung into his path. So he's a mind-reader as well and knew exactly where Keane would be at the point of contact?

Yep, just shows the decision has already been made to hang spp

Well he did elect to bump.

His other option in the circumstances was to allow Rioli to swing Keane into his face, which apparently is what people expected him to do because he should have been able to calculate every single possible permutation of Rioli’s tackle and realised that there was a chance that Keane gets concussed in scenario #1,007,543 and never put himself in that position in the first place.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TeeKray will be pumped

I'm happy to see him suspended because I think it's best for the game. I don't want to see any of our players or any opposition players concussed and potentially left with life changing brain injuries. Anything that is done to mitigate this possibility is to be applauded in my book. If that's one of our players getting made an example of then that's one of our players getting made an example of. It's for a far greater good.

lol what?

Have you been living under a rock?

How can you argue the afl has been consistent in its messaging about the bump and concussions in the same week a player has retired after a player took his head off and got let off by the tribunal.

That’s not a one off either, there’s a bunch of times the afl has gone back on its word in order to get a player off the hook.

Also I squashed the “elected to bump” beyond doubt earlier showing screenshots.

The time from Rioli tackling Keane to spp arriving was approx 1 sec, the time when Keane was turned / turned and lowered into spp where he had to react to the change in circumstance was a fraction of that. Approx .20 -.30 of a second.

None of this is my opinion. It’s fact, and I laid it out in the screenshots with the time.

I also laid out quite clearly for all the people at home that think he had plenty of time to react the standard reaction times. Anyone doubting me can look up reaction tests and do one themselves. Human reaction times on hitting a button on your screen that your finger is hovering 1mm above is around 0.2-0.35 secs.

The same amount of time spp has to react while travelling at around 30km hr.

He acted on instinct.

I’m sorry, but if the rules state that the bump is legal, then the “ if you elect to bump” bullshit is so AFL amateur hour rule designed to suspend players, when the it’s legal to bump. Just doesn’t make sense. Ban the bump then.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I'm happy to see him suspended because I think it's best for the game. I don't want to see any of our players or any opposition players concussed and potentially left with life changing brain injuries. Anything that is done to mitigate this possibility is to be applauded in my book. If that's one of our players getting made an example of then that's one of our players getting made an example of. It's for a far greater good.
I would tend to agree if it gets applied universally. I really don't like swots like Whately pontificating over the 'choices' players have when faced with situations that unfold in a fraction of a second. I'm not sure there's not a point at which players are unable to make a choice. To think SPP thought 'I'll bump this bloke, it's only a couple of week suspension at worst' is nuts, so I'm not sure making it 4 or 5 weeks has any impact on the events as they unfolded.

lol what?

Have you been living under a rock?

How can you argue the afl has been consistent in its messaging about the bump and concussions in the same week a player has retired after a player took his head off and got let off by the tribunal.

That’s not a one off either, there’s a bunch of times the afl has gone back on its word in order to get a player off the hook.

Also I squashed the “elected to bump” beyond doubt earlier showing screenshots.

The time from Rioli tackling Keane to spp arriving was approx 1 sec, the time when Keane was turned / turned and lowered into spp where he had to react to the change in circumstance was a fraction of that. Approx .20 -.30 of a second.

None of this is my opinion. It’s fact, and I laid it out in the screenshots with the time.

I also laid out quite clearly for all the people at home that think he had plenty of time to react the standard reaction times. Anyone doubting me can look up reaction tests and do one themselves. Human reaction times on hitting a button on your screen that your finger is hovering 1mm above is around 0.2-0.35 secs.

The same amount of time spp has to react while travelling at around 30km hr.

He acted on instinct.
BuT He'S aN ElItE SpOrTsMaN!

Time to ban the bump then, and every other footy action that can result in a possible concussion. Boxing, MMA, skate boarding, skiing, etc etc should all be outlawed as well.

I don't want to see anyone get seriously hurt, long term effects etc.
Here's the but though......it's a contact sport, bumping is legal and sometimes people will get injured due to genuine football collisions.
I'm not a mind-reader so obviously don't know what SPP was thinking but to me was running to the contest and the player was slung into him.
Clumsy maybe, malicious no, he didn't run past the ball or line him up, it was a genuine collision.
No way should it be straight to the tribunal

Remove this Banner Ad

MRP / Trib. Tribunal Thread - rules and offences discombobulation

Remove this Banner Ad

Back